General Discussion of UK Politics

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: General Discussion of UK Politics

Post by Whistler » October 30, 2022, 2:09 pm

There is a difference between the laws in Australia and the UK. Kerr's dismissal of Whitlam was nearly usurped by Whitlam himself. He had the power to dismiss Kerr's had he gotten in first. The UK prime minister cannot sack the regent.

Australia also has a written constitution that can be interpreted by the High court.

Laws are similar but not identical.

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » October 30, 2022, 3:21 pm

Whistler wrote:
October 30, 2022, 2:09 pm
The UK prime minister cannot sack the regent.
No, parliament normally has to resort to execution to be rid of a monarch (1649).

Gough Whitlam enters the conversation again. Officer IC Udon Map is correct in indicating the UK law change but what has this to do with Australia? I'm befuddled to say the least.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 30, 2022, 3:24 pm

Earnest wrote:
October 30, 2022, 3:21 pm
Gough Whitlam enters the conversation again. Officer IC Udon Map is correct in indicating the UK law change but what has this to do with Australia? I'm befuddled to say the least.
Allow me to defuddle you - I was talking about the precedent.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » October 30, 2022, 3:25 pm

Thank you, Jack.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » October 30, 2022, 4:31 pm

Earnest wrote:
Officer IC Udon Map is correct in indicating the UK law change but what has this to do with Australia? I'm befuddled to say the least.
No need for befuddlement. Have a look at the thread title. ;)

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 30, 2022, 4:57 pm

In 1975, the Governor General who was the Queens representative sacked the Australisn Prime Minister using an obscure law called reserve powers. So if it could be done in Australia, would the same process be available in the UK?
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » October 31, 2022, 1:01 am

Udon Map wrote:
October 30, 2022, 4:31 pm
Earnest wrote:
Officer IC Udon Map is correct in indicating the UK law change but what has this to do with Australia? I'm befuddled to say the least.
No need for befuddlement. Have a look at the thread title. ;)

I know what the thread title is, I was trying to understand what the link was with Australia but Jack set me right.

You shouldn't wink at me, I might get the wrong idea.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 31, 2022, 3:38 am

Whistler wrote:
October 30, 2022, 4:57 pm
In 1975, the Governor General who was the Queens representative sacked the Australisn Prime Minister using an obscure law called reserve powers. So if it could be done in Australia, would the same process be available in the UK?
Depends if there's something similar to "reserve powers" and how obscure they are.

And if Charles has the bottle. Truss told him he couldn't attend COP27, Rishi says he's not interested in going to COP27 but now Johnson says he'll be showing up at COP27. I imagine right now, K!ng Charles is beyond befuddled and, to quote the late Sir Ken Dodd, is quite discomnockerated.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » November 12, 2022, 4:17 pm

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » November 18, 2022, 8:11 pm

Good times for the UK ahead

"Annual inflation rate in the UK jumped to 11.1% in October of 2022 from 10.1% in September, much higher than market forecasts of 10.7%. It is the highest inflation rate since October 1981, with main upward pressure coming from housing and household services (26.6% vs 20.2%), namely gas (128.9%) and electricity (65.7%).......................................

Prices for food and non-alcoholic beverages (16.2% vs 14.5%) also marched higher. On the other hand, transport cost slowed sharply (8.9% vs 10.6%), mainly motor fuels (22.2%) and second-hand car (-2.7%). Compared to September, the CPI jumped 2%, above forecasts of 1.7%"

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kin ... lation-cpi

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 18, 2022, 10:36 pm

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 22, 2022, 6:05 pm

Now if only the Tories could divest themselves of their loony, rightists, there's a chance the next British election will be a fair squabble with an invested electorate.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... dApp_Other
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 22, 2022, 6:15 pm

Not a hope, they have far to much invested in Britains failure.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 8, 2022, 9:45 pm

Looks like a fair few Conservative MP's see the writing on the wall and signalling their retirement from politics by saying they'll be standing down before the next election. I guess the gruel will be too thin and watery for them.

Blackford has jumped before he was pushed from the SNP Westminster leadership post. He's still hitching his wagon to Sturgeon's falling star so it's still ALL good in that regard.

I also read that Starmer may be "testing the waters" for an SNP coalition if there's a hung parliament. This after years of loudly condemning any suggestions of ever getting into bed with the Nationalists. I guess if the DUP got 15 billion quid to hold up May's premiership, Scotland must be worth at least twice that, no?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 14, 2022, 10:13 pm

~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » December 15, 2022, 2:25 am

Don't give me that, I was on the picket line with KP in 1979. He had a donkey jacket, Doc Martens and ruddy great sideburns.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 26, 2022, 2:55 pm

union.png

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 11, 2023, 2:23 am

So HMG is giving France £500M to sort the chaps in dinghies problem. I thought Priti P had already given them £54M last year. Would it be cheaper have a reception centre at Calais and a ferry leaving once a week?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64920557

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » March 11, 2023, 5:33 am

I've been thinking on the same lines for some time now, why don't the authorities rescue the "Asylum Seekers" in the Chanel and wisk them off to one of the Chanel Islands to a New reception Centre/Hotels.
Maybe once the word got out people maybe a bit more reluctant to make the crossing. For those that still want to search for the Golden Pavements a dedicated Ferry service could be set up to make the short trip from France.
Also why would the French want to keep these people? It's obvious they are a burden where ever they end up.
Those that are genuine would obviously be welcome, but the Chanel Islands? Not in my Back Yard Sir.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 11, 2023, 9:26 am

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
March 11, 2023, 5:33 am
I've been thinking on the same lines for some time now, why don't the authorities rescue the "Asylum Seekers" in the Chanel and wisk them off to one of the Chanel Islands to a New reception Centre/Hotels.
Maybe once the word got out people maybe a bit more reluctant to make the crossing. For those that still want to search for the Golden Pavements a dedicated Ferry service could be set up to make the short trip from France.
Also why would the French want to keep these people? It's obvious they are a burden where ever they end up.
Those that are genuine would obviously be welcome, but the Chanel Islands? Not in my Back Yard Sir.
I know I might sound heartless, but you need to create a powerful deterrent, not the channel islands, far to pleasant. It need a place to really terrify them, a place so awful that they would rather live in a French sewer..

The is only one suitable place to send them

Scunthorpe!

Return to “U.K.”