Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: General Discussion of UK Politics

Post by Khun Paul » March 13, 2023, 9:28 am

stattointhailand wrote:
March 12, 2023, 12:25 am
rick wrote:
March 11, 2023, 8:29 pm
Depopulate the falklands (offer them a million each) and give all the migrants one way tickets. Cheaper in the long run.
Wouldnt need to depopulate ...... I hear theres only green geese there anyway .......might upset the Argies though :-k
Couple of Islands in the Shetlands that need populating especially the one where they tried out Anthrax.

caducus
udonmap.com

Post by caducus » March 14, 2023, 5:08 pm

As an alternative one could treat migrants as human beings. Speed up the consideration of their status, and allow them to work legally.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 14, 2023, 5:59 pm

I can hear them choking on their Corn flakes in the Shires from here :lol:

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 15, 2023, 1:25 am

caducus wrote:
March 14, 2023, 5:08 pm
As an alternative one could treat migrants as human beings. Speed up the consideration of their status, and allow them to work legally.
Some of the root causes to the issue are the trafficking gangs who exploit the migrants. Disrupt these gangs and things will improve.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 15, 2023, 11:52 am

Stop wasting time and money on legislation that isnt going to work. Spend the money on making the legal routes available to those with a case for asylum.
New bill just leaves 100% in limbo being housed/fed by taxpayer as they will not be processed. If their claims are processed on ave 25% get returned and 75% get to work and pay taxes in UK and reduce the alarming number of low paid job vacancies that are currently unfilled
Win/win if they ever wanted it to be

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 15, 2023, 12:31 pm

Stat you are an utter dope

You stupidly point out the obvious, but totally ignore the fact that the issue of refugees/illegals is a political matter, devoid of common-sense

The cost to hold Australian boat people in Nauru and New Guinea was staggering, moving others to Cambodia was cosing $8M per person or somewhere there abouts.

However, being tough on borders is a political winner. Pollies tap into the xenophobia of their ill informed voters (the majority) and win or lose elections on that issue. The press just love it, they don't report on reasoned facts so the voters never fully understand the whole picture.

If anybody attempts to do so they are ridiculed as woke, snowflakes and any number of other derogatory terms.

How dumb are you talking good sense and expecting that to rule policy?
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 15, 2023, 1:07 pm

You mean it suits their agenda not to solve the problem? who ever would have guessed :-k

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 15, 2023, 3:57 pm

It goes to show, that even in relatively non-racist nations, you only need to scratch the surface a bit to bring Xenophobia into play.

Many of the so-called refugees, are no doubt economically driven. Others of course are genuinely fleeing very bad regimes. There is only a small margin separating other economic refugees from the boat people. My parents were a great example, post WWII Britain was not a great place to be for many working class people, class distinctions were still prevalent, but standard of living, deprivation by rationing etc did not bode well.

In 1951 my folks became economic migrants (as opposed to refugees), but being white and British they were allowed into Australia, if they were non-white, the White Australia policy would have excluded them. Between 1987 and 1993, Australia took in about 300,000 refugees a year, now it is about 55,000. Now Australia has a serious shortage of unskilled labour, but no government is game to lift the number again, despite the economic benefits that more refugees would bring to the country.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 17, 2023, 3:44 pm

The UK is a crowded country. The influx of migrants has an impact on housing - house prices and rents are sky high. All new housing means extra pressure on the environment, and extra people puts pressure on water supplies and sewage degrades water quality; most English rivers now have less water in them than 50 years ago, and of poorer quality ( with the exception of the lower Thames). Very hard to increase the amount of agricultural land, only way to produce more food is to farm more intensively - which also affects the environment. Many insects, common 50 years ago, now much depleted due to pesticides and environmental degradation.

Chasing GDP mainly benefits the rich. Life was often better 50 years ago than it is now.

Rather than having to take in immigrants, UK should concentrate on making migrants home countries better places.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 17, 2023, 4:06 pm

And then all you get is the public screaming about aid being given to poor countries when people are starving and using food banks at home, the NHS and transport systems being under funded and pensions not matching inflation etc etc

What is needed is a govt that has the backbone to tax the rich and use the money for the benefit of all

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 17, 2023, 4:48 pm

Agreed Statto. But the budget this year was all about increasing employment ( good luck with that, all the early retired people do not want to work in the fields or do menial jobs, they will just block the jobs that young people need to get on in life). Otherwise it was no more tax on big pension pots ( helps the rich) and of course the press has woken up to the fact that a frozen personal allowance is a stealth tax (worth about 4% on the income tax rate by 2027).
I do not smoke, but a packet on 20 cigarettes is now over £14. Coke now cheaper?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 17, 2023, 5:30 pm

What about Pepsi?

might need to swap to Jim Beam & Pepsi if I ever go back :-k

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 17, 2023, 5:37 pm

Why cant they see whats staring them square in the face ......... if they want to want to fill low paid vacancies (remove the need for visas) and they want to increase companies investing you NEED TO PROVIDE A MARKET TO SELL THE F****** PRODUCE like the one 20 odd miles over the channel

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » March 26, 2023, 8:17 am

Farewell, Nicola Sturgeon. Nobody is going to miss you.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/fa ... 6b20&ei=42

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 26, 2023, 5:42 pm

A prime opportunity for the Labour Party to step in, especially as the SNP have finally admitted a dwindling membership.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 26, 2023, 7:01 pm

Earnest wrote:
March 26, 2023, 5:42 pm
...... the SNP have finally admitted a dwindling membership.
A point of clarification - is that not an oxymoron, or perhaps a non sequitur? :-k

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 26, 2023, 9:20 pm

Hmm, let's have a think about this.

What I was getting at were the falling numbers in membership that the SNP 'fessed up to last week. So people are not renewing their membership, I think. Is that clearer? If people leave the SNP then are they changing their political views and could Labour capitalise on that? I'll throw that one out for discussion.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 26, 2023, 9:39 pm

Didnt know you had to be a "paid up" party member to vote in Jockland?

Perhaps those not renewing membership are spending the saved money on bread to eat, but still intend to vote SNP :-k

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 27, 2023, 12:50 am

They don't.

What I'm saying is the decline in membership is a useful indicator to demonstrate a fall in support, which Starmer should seize upon. In other words, they're doomed.

I'm as surprised as you that a Scotsman would be willing to part with his pennies to finance Wee Jimmy Krankie's presidential aspirations but there you go. I wonder what Tam would make of it.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 5, 2023, 9:02 pm

cptpp.png

Return to “U.K.”