U.K. rail strike

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Re: U.K. rail strike

Post by BillaRickaDickay » June 24, 2022, 8:41 am

What you say maybe true now, but at the time property was relatively cheap, mortgages were easy to get, anyone who had a job could buy a house.
What you find today due to the Banks low interest rates and the ease at which foreigners are allowed to buy UK property, all the available property is being snapped up by investors who are able to achieve capital growth of 10% + per annum and have no intention of residing in the property purchased.
As for people not being able to afford rents, We have housing benefit for low income families. Apparently 50% + of the UK population are on some kind of benefit.
I agree, Privatisation of public services should not have been allowed.

He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 24, 2022, 8:51 am

Not sure about property being cheap, when I got married the first time I'd been working 9 years but still had to move 50 miles from where I was born to be able to buy a house as I couldn't get a mortgage big enough to buy anything in Greater London. Teenagers and those in early twenties had no chance of getting on the housing ladder

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » June 24, 2022, 3:28 pm

Housing is ridiculously expensive these days. I bought my first house at the age of 23. My son, at 32, isn't even saving for a deposit yet. Only hope for him is early inheritance.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 24, 2022, 5:02 pm

Mate of mine bought his 2-bed semi for about 80 thousand quid back around 1985 and just finished paying off the mortgage. He wants to sell it (rateable value circa 130 grand) in a couple of years time after he's cleared his credit card debt and retire in Thailand. If he insists on such tomfoolery I'm going to be forced to buy his house. At least I'll have a roof over my head when I visit and I can always rent it back to him after he's crashed and burned here.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » June 25, 2022, 6:28 am

rick wrote:
June 24, 2022, 3:28 pm
Housing is ridiculously expensive these days. I bought my first house at the age of 23. My son, at 32, isn't even saving for a deposit yet. Only hope for him is early inheritance.
Bought my first house about the same age Rick, North Essex, 3 Bed Detached, 1 acre of ground, £12,000, probably worth about £1,000,000 today, alot of water under the bridge since then, should have kept it and stayed single.

Back on topic, how's the Rail Strike going?
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 25, 2022, 6:48 am

stattointhailand wrote:
June 23, 2022, 9:00 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
June 23, 2022, 7:14 am
Although in some cases one can feel empathy to the Rail Workers, new information about their objection to out of dsate working practices be violated are also an eye-opener. One thing you can be sure of the Union Leaders WILL NOT be on STRIKE pay .

Perhaps some of your "new information" is coming from the right wing press kp?

Having watched how Kay Burley ripped Grant Shapps to shreads yesterday, I had to have a little smirk when Mick turned the tables on her and did not bite when she tried to get him to make a fool of himself ........ instead he provided her with facts that she couldn't disprove.
What will your picket line do if agency workers go in and do your jobs?
err where will they come from you need 4 years training before being allowed to signal high speed trains, and you have to pass regular tests :-"
He also told some jumped up whipper snapper he was a liar in front of the cameras (about 6 times) :lol:

Stangely enough the link to the you tube video doesnt seem to work ........ how strange :-k

here's Mick in all his glory anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMFOqDLZvY&t=40s
Suggest you look at the NEW intereview with Micj trying to justify ouitdated practices, .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 25, 2022, 7:57 am

That's the RMT's third day of disruption under their belts. The media appears to have dropped it like it's hot. Arguably the Tories' double by-election loss, Boris hiding behind the sofa in darkest Africa, the overturning of Roe v. Wade by the SCOTUS has been quite newsworthy.

However, I like to think that their reticence is because of Mick Lynch. Previously, they talked vaguely of 'union barrons' but when Mick calmly eviscerated several prominent media gobshytes on the second day of their action, I reckon he's truly the Red Barron now.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 25, 2022, 10:49 am

Khun Paul wrote:
June 25, 2022, 6:48 am
stattointhailand wrote:
June 23, 2022, 9:00 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
June 23, 2022, 7:14 am
Although in some cases one can feel empathy to the Rail Workers, new information about their objection to out of dsate working practices be violated are also an eye-opener. One thing you can be sure of the Union Leaders WILL NOT be on STRIKE pay .

Perhaps some of your "new information" is coming from the right wing press kp?

Having watched how Kay Burley ripped Grant Shapps to shreads yesterday, I had to have a little smirk when Mick turned the tables on her and did not bite when she tried to get him to make a fool of himself ........ instead he provided her with facts that she couldn't disprove.
What will your picket line do if agency workers go in and do your jobs?
err where will they come from you need 4 years training before being allowed to signal high speed trains, and you have to pass regular tests :-"
He also told some jumped up whipper snapper he was a liar in front of the cameras (about 6 times) :lol:

Stangely enough the link to the you tube video doesnt seem to work ........ how strange :-k

here's Mick in all his glory anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMFOqDLZvY&t=40s
Suggest you look at the NEW intereview with Micj trying to justify ouitdated practices, .
Ill let James O'Brian justify it kp

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 25, 2022, 12:48 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
June 25, 2022, 6:48 am

Can I suggest you post a link to "the NEW interview" as I wouldn't like to watch the wrong one by mistake and make another bad judgement.

Was it his appearance on BBC Question Time where Fiona Bruce thought she'd been clever with a very London-centric 'whataboutery'' question where the London-centric 'audience groaned' at his response? If so, then I think he explained that very well while Fiona Bruce scored a spectacular own goal, just like the rest of the prime time media hacks and lower-order Whitehall minions who had their arses recently and very publicly handed to them.

Ta
tam
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 25, 2022, 1:19 pm

In summary. The usual tin pot megalomaniac leading the feckless, lazy, entitled and impressionable British workforce against an aloof employer/Government who are in a deep hole. Seen it all before.

The inevitable high inflation resulting from unreasonable pay demands will destroy the British economy but, hey ho, let's screw everyone else.

Idiots

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 25, 2022, 1:48 pm

So under inflation pay demands will screw everyone else??

but

B (W?) ankers and the like should not be subject to basic rules that came in after 2008 to limit their bonuses etc to less than 100% of their salary ?

I assume it's only the poor that have their wages count towards the inflation figures

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 25, 2022, 2:58 pm

It's not a competition. No-one has the right to screw any one but, some abuse it and they're tossers. That includes bankers, railworkers, gravediggers etc etc

The fact that idiot union bosses choose to highlight non-existent rights to an unjust pay demand in the current economic climate and whip up their impressionable workforce into a lather basically dumps on the rest of the UK.

Try getting anything done in the UK now. Call centres, transport, banks etc etc. The average UK worker is idle and entitled (hats off to those that arent). Covid was being used as an excuse to take a few days larding it on their arses at home. Rail strikes have had a similar effect.

Employers (including banks) and, consequently the UK are being hung out to dry at the moment. The glorious British public are sulking because they cant afford their baked beans, beer and fags.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 25, 2022, 3:07 pm

Hurry home samster ..... your being subjected to far too much GB News for your own well being in blighty...

Weve done away with the Thailand pass, masks mandate, AND midnight curfew whilst youve been gone :lol:

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 25, 2022, 3:20 pm

Sadly Stats, its direct, personal experience. Media news generally is propaganda. That, presumably, is where you get your views from as you say you've not been back for many years.

Separate topic but, I see comments on falang forum in Thailand whining about the Thai workforce. Having employed both in my lifetime, I'd probably have taken a Thai over a Brit 20 years ago but it would have been a tough choice. Now I wouldnt hesitate to choose a Thai

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 25, 2022, 3:59 pm

Yes agree ...... It's far easier for bosses to bully Thai workers over virtually anything related to their own safety/health/pay etc etc ...... and you can just fire a Thai woman if she gets pregnant (none of this having to pay her whilst she's giving birth). I well remember my mother in law asked for 3or 4 days off (without pay) so she could travel home and help my wife when my daughter was born ....... she got told not to go, and if she did, not to go back ..... needless to say she came and got herself another job a week or so later. Just think if it werent for those pesky union rules youd be able to just fire someone when they get sick, after all what good are they if they are not fit to work 110%?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 25, 2022, 5:39 pm

samster wrote:
June 25, 2022, 2:58 pm
It's not a competition. No-one has the right to screw any one but, some abuse it and they're tossers. That includes bankers, railworkers, gravediggers etc etc

The fact that idiot union bosses choose to highlight non-existent rights to an unjust pay demand in the current economic climate and whip up their impressionable workforce into a lather basically dumps on the rest of the UK.

Try getting anything done in the UK now. Call centres, transport, banks etc etc. The average UK worker is idle and entitled (hats off to those that arent). Covid was being used as an excuse to take a few days larding it on their arses at home. Rail strikes have had a similar effect.

Employers (including banks) and, consequently the UK are being hung out to dry at the moment. The glorious British public are sulking because they cant afford their baked beans, beer and fags.
Oh my, tell me it's not true. An "impressionable workforce" that prefer "larding on their arses" that suddenly "can't afford their baked beans, beer and fags."?

What precisely has inculcated such a slothful, self-important and fundamentally worthless legion of unemployables?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 25, 2022, 5:40 pm

samster wrote:
June 25, 2022, 3:20 pm
Sadly Stats, its direct, personal experience. Media news generally is propaganda. That, presumably, is where you get your views from as you say you've not been back for many years.

Separate topic but, I see comments on falang forum in Thailand whining about the Thai workforce. Having employed both in my lifetime, I'd probably have taken a Thai over a Brit 20 years ago but it would have been a tough choice. Now I wouldnt hesitate to choose a Thai
I can't believe you're new here.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 25, 2022, 6:46 pm

1. Stats. Not all Thai bosses are bullies in the same way not all Brits sit on their arses doing nothing. Your point, as mine, was a generalisation. My point as to who I would employ is based on what I see as the clear majority of employable, hard working, committed employees. Generally, Brits are lazy and entitled. Thais arent.

If you want to suggest Thai bosses are bullies then, fine but relating this to the morons who are holding the UK to ransom (again) is irrelevant.

2. I'm clearly not new here Tam. Dont understand the point you are making. To answer your previous question as to what makes Brits unemployable. That's simple. Its largely down to the nanny state influenced by self serving trade unionists.

If anyone wants to subscribe to my newsletter, please send a sae & Lit 1m subscription to Sig Mussolini, c/o the lamppost, Milan

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 25, 2022, 10:19 pm

But Thatcher famously broke the unions way back when we we were mere striplings in Oxford bags, no? Labour has been in the political wilderness for the best part of twelve years already so who has allowed this alleged resurgence of indolence and torpor that you allude to?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 26, 2022, 2:44 pm

I'm generalizing but....

Nanny state started years ago and the unions had a part in it. Parents and peers learn how to skive and scrounge. Passed down to subsequent generations. Its osmosis and spreads, perpetuating the issue.

If you're able to get a doctor to sign you off then you can sit on your backside at home for as long as you want. If you can find a way of claiming benefit for a bad back then, do it. If you can sue your employer because they didnt give you an eye examination for your computer then, wing it. Dont get me started on spurious insurance claims for employee injuries or whiplash in car accidents.

I could give hundreds of direct and personal examples but, why bother. Every one of them has a victim which in most cases was their own subjective perception of victimhood.

The issue is worse by many multiples than it was 20 years ago. With Covid and the recent highlighting of mental health issues (Oh dear, somebody is worried. Pathetic). Did you know that those awful banks (Stats?) are writing off huge amounts because if someone runs up debts on their credit card, they can play the stress card and have it written off.

This is why you cant talk to someone at a call centre in the UK. That's why airports are struggling. It ain't rocket science.

Employers are constantly getting stuffed but, it ain't politic to highlight it.

I live in Thailand because I'm disgusted on a daily basis by what I see happening. It's starting here now but, I'll be long dead before it gets as bad as the UK.

Rant over

Return to “U.K.”