tamada
udonmap.com

Re: CharlesI

Post by tamada » May 6, 2023, 5:45 am

jackspratt wrote:
May 5, 2023, 7:49 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
May 5, 2023, 12:11 pm
As it has been used since 1296, historically it is significant and who are we mere ortals ( average life span of less than one hundred years ) to decry its use.

Tradition is everything ti ensure stability and continuance of general peace, or would you rather the opposite `.
You probably haven't noticed - but things have moved on since 1296.

Particularly so, for us ortals.
Us mere ortals you mean.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » May 6, 2023, 6:49 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
May 5, 2023, 5:19 pm
marjamlew wrote:
May 5, 2023, 3:53 pm
The shenanigans at Westminster Abbey clashes with the Dogs - Giants game in Canberra tomorrow night. So won't be watching the Geelong Grammar old boy and his Mrs (with a head like a horse) getting crowned. Hopefully takes us one step closer to being a republic. What a waste of money [-X The Bolsheviks had the best solution to hereditary monarchy.
What was that? Replacing it with Bolshevik tyranny?
I know that different people read different words in different ways but the post doesn't actually say that the Westminster system should be replaced with Marxism. I was just making the point that the Soviets had a very good solution to deal with the leeches of royalty and absolute monarchy in the 1918 context. Hopefully we can rid our selves of the leeches at the ballot box in a more British way and cut the umbilical cord and even be grown ups and not be children of the empire at the same time. It would be lovely.
Watch Me!!

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 6, 2023, 7:14 am

Yes, but if you are going to remove a ruling family by murdering the ruling family, you are going to have to replace them by introducing something new to govern the country. And, what was that something the Bosheviks replaced the Czars with? I doubt that you are advocating the murder of the constitutional monarch and his family in the U.K., but that was the Bolshevik solution to the absolute monarchy in Russia.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 6, 2023, 8:27 am

DM shall be attending a Coronation bash and swearing allegiance to Charles in what should be a very emotional ceremony, i would hope all Brits and those from Commonwealth countries should do the same .. that includes Bang Dung based Jacksprat n BDD if the electrics on that is.

Marvelous Rule Britannia

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » May 6, 2023, 10:22 am

Splice the mainbrace should be in order after the coronation.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » May 6, 2023, 10:34 am

God save the k ing.

Personally I think the Royal Family is more beneficial than not to the British economy and in general support them, with the exception of Andrew the nonce and Harry the ginger.

Looking forward to watching the highlights on the TV today.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 6, 2023, 11:19 am

When y

When you look around the world at some English speaking countries and the others, , so often the removal of a Titular Head of State, has led to huge changes in the country which often have proved detrimental to the average citizen .
Many African Nations have succumbed to that malaise as have some Middle Eastern Countries we will not speak of the Situation on the North or South American continents, recent events speak for themselves. Corruption and all the other actions that lead to a failed or failing state

While MONARCHIES Are themselves viewed as no longer needed, prior to WW !, the unwritten codes and family relationships and knowledge that most European FAMILIEs had , stopped often so many instances of conflict.

All that changed and with it many Monarchies , the glue that held many countries together was lost .
True one would say vast wealth is held by he Royal Family but the vast majority is held for the country to use and enjoy for centuries. There ae NO Pensions to pay out and income from Ceremonial Events etc and the History factor is far more than it would cost to have an elected head of state with all the political manouvering that would entail evey few years .

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 6, 2023, 11:38 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 6, 2023, 8:27 am
DM shall be attending a Coronation bash and swearing allegiance to Charles in what should be a very emotional ceremony, i would hope all Brits and those from Commonwealth countries should do the same .. that includes Bang Dung based Jacksprat n BDD if the electrics on that is.

Marvelous Rule Britannia

DM
Nah,

Chuck is a pillock.

Hopefully within 5 years Australia, New Zealand, The Falkland Islands, Scotland, The Isle of Man and Scunthorpe all become republics (Scunthorpe involuntarily as they will be kicked out).
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » May 6, 2023, 12:10 pm

It will be a nice change to watch the pomp and pagentry of an articulate ceremony. Better than watching (if you do) the racous behaviour of the climate/anti climate and extinction rebellion mobs.

Hope it all goes well with Charles and his crew. God save the new Kxng.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 6, 2023, 12:15 pm

Sports,

Congrats for weaving climate into the ceremony. I promise to resist the temptation to organise violent mob climate action while the ceremony takes place. 55
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 6, 2023, 12:23 pm

CORONATION COUNTDOWN IS ON ..

Champagne on ice , fairy cakes scotch heggs earl grey n scones .... being as its so hot DM getting in the mood wearing only his union jack boxers and knotted hanky waiting with great excitment witnessing part of history ... i urge all true Brits and the second class commonwealth wannabees to join in this magnificent event from the deepest depths of the African jungle to the boguns of Ozz land inner cities.

LONG LIVE THE K ING .........

been working out

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 6, 2023, 12:38 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 6, 2023, 12:23 pm
CORONATION COUNTDOWN IS ON ..

Champagne on ice , fairy cakes scotch heggs earl grey n scones .... being as its so hot DM getting in the mood wearing only his union jack boxers and knotted hanky waiting with great excitment witnessing part of history ... i urge all true Brits and the second class commonwealth wannabees to join in this magnificent event from the deepest depths of the African jungle to the boguns of Ozz land inner cities.

LONG LIVE THE K ING .........

been working out

DM
You are supposed to put yer SOCKS On Yer Feet.....

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 6, 2023, 12:52 pm

DM after pic.jpg
Thanks for the BEFORE Pic, thought it only fair we see the NOW pic as well

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 6, 2023, 4:20 pm

For once I have to agree with the Liverpool fans ........ hope EVERY football ground resounds to Booos during the National Anthem. We have half the country needing to use foodbanks to avoid starvation, we have football fans up and down the country providing food to feed their friends/relatives and the bl**dy Premier League think it is OK to force all teams to play the National Anthem :evil:
What the f*** has this clown sitting on a big chair in a big house in London and having some sort of hat stuck on his head got to do with SPORT =;

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » May 6, 2023, 4:44 pm

Turned on the TV this morning (in the UK) and the first 4 channels all had coronation coverage. Decided to watch Benny Hill instead.

I do like Charles - up to a point. He does try hard to do good, but his upbringing keeps him in the royal mould. He at least is willing to say what he believes in, unlike the totally anodyne Elizabeth, who was as boring as hell.

I think the monarchy will dwindle away after Charles, and become like the Scandinavian monarchies - just a rich family of some interest to celebrity lovers.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 6, 2023, 4:54 pm

"I think the monarchy will dwindle away after Charles, and become like the Scandinavian monarchies - just a rich family of some interest to celebrity lovers."

I thought it already had

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 6, 2023, 5:12 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
May 6, 2023, 4:20 pm
For once I have to agree with the Liverpool fans ........ hope EVERY football ground resounds to Booos during the National Anthem. We have half the country needing to use foodbanks to avoid starvation, we have football fans up and down the country providing food to feed their friends/relatives and the bl**dy Premier League think it is OK to force all teams to play the National Anthem :evil:
What the f*** has this clown sitting on a big chair in a big house in London and having some sort of hat stuck on his head got to do with SPORT =;
I would think it is more that he is head of the country and this day marks that fact. Some traditions are more important than sports. It probably won't happen again for a few more years. Try to deal with the tradition as best you can. Oh, and keep your donations to the food banks going. Perhaps the players could donate 20% of their salaries to the food banks as a sign of appreciation to the poor. It wouldn't solve the problem, but it's a start.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 6, 2023, 6:09 pm

I think you will find (if you look hard enough) that many many of the well paid players donate huge amounts to various worldwide charities ....... unlike the "silver spoon brigade" who have and will always advocate that Charity starts at home (in their pockets)

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » May 6, 2023, 6:19 pm

marjamlew wrote:
May 5, 2023, 3:53 pm
his Mrs (with a head like a horse)
No, no, no, I'm not having that. Grossly unfair and misrepresented.

I always saw her as being more bovine

Return to “U.K.”