Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Border and bar closings

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 30, 2020, 4:50 pm

tamada wrote:
March 30, 2020, 11:46 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:
March 30, 2020, 6:21 am
circa 6am MONDAY .. just been out with the dogs and again the ring rd near the airport intersection is surprisingly busy with all modes of transport from bikes to big trucks n all in between.. after watching SFG vid yesterday im making a real effort to isolate here just with Dao ..........and the dogs...tho will need to do a quick shopping trip very soon.

DM
Must be the imminent NBLP and NWS lock-downs, eh?
Dunno about that Tam ... more that it appears the ring rd and / or roads in general are just as busy as normal and this request to stay at home and NON ESSENTIAL restricted travel is just not being taken on board , what will it take to make be adhered too ?? spikes in cases ?? curfew / total lock down

Traffic backed up at the ring rd /airport intersection all day today and im not buying it that all were on essential travel unless having yer hair n nails done , craving coffee n cake , trimming the hamster are now classed as essential !!

DM

Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 30, 2020, 5:17 pm

Keep an Eye out for Those Escaped PRISONERS In Buriram, Jon.....They Might try to Hijack Yer Truck....

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 30, 2020, 5:51 pm

747man wrote:
March 30, 2020, 5:17 pm
Keep an Eye out for Those Escaped PRISONERS In Buriram, Jon.....They Might try to Hijack Yer Truck....
Im in Udon Alan not bannork Buriram... self isolating with my truck and with things close like shops n stuff .... hence my post about the airport / ring rd being busy, according to Thai news one prisoner still on the run and hes from a town nearby our rubber village.

DM

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 31, 2020, 6:30 am

DM a bit late up this morning as was dreaming about Daine Abbotpotumus ,,so realistic then i realized my dog was licking not her !! ..

6-30 am TUESDAY and again plenty of people on the ring road .. lots of essential travel ?? .. certainly will be interesting to see what happens if /when a total lock down or curfew comes in as of now despite government requests its bizz as usual.

DM

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 31, 2020, 7:05 am

this article touches on a few points ..

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-as ... s-concerns

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 31, 2020, 7:26 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
March 31, 2020, 6:30 am
DM a bit late up this morning as was dreaming about Daine Abbotpotumus ,,so realistic then i realized my dog was licking not her !! ..

6-30 am TUESDAY and again plenty of people on the ring road .. lots of essential travel ?? .. certainly will be interesting to see what happens if /when a total lock down or curfew comes in as of now despite government requests its bizz as usual.

DM
Yes it seems as usual Thais seem to think any NEWS out of the Western World is rubbish and prefer to go their own way even so far as rubbishing their own Govt. If it spikes here it will HIT hard methinks, stay safe DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 31, 2020, 7:58 am

Inside town is still quiet so no idea where all your ring raiders are going. BTW, I drove past your shop around 5 P.M. yesterday and the junction was dead quiet as it was all the way around the ring road.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 31, 2020, 8:09 am

IT ISNT NOW N IM LOOKING AT IT .. are you hinting im telling untruths Tam ??

No school no airport traffic only essential travel MY ARSE its as busy as every other day prior to this situation... the only time i notice its quieter is in the evenings .. after 7pm ........i cant comment as to where all these people are going or coming from i just know what im seeing .

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 31, 2020, 10:15 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
March 31, 2020, 7:05 am
this article touches on a few points ..

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-as ... s-concerns
So a know-it-all Singaporean journalist in Bangkok composes an article about how they defied the Thai government's rules on social distancing.

Next?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 31, 2020, 10:33 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
March 31, 2020, 8:09 am

No school no airport traffic only essential travel MY ARSE its as busy as every other day prior to this situation... the only time i notice its quieter is in the evenings .. after 7pm ........i cant comment as to where all these people are going or coming from i just know what im seeing .

DM
No. I am disagreeing that your spurious observations of one junction is indicative of all traffic movement during all daylight hours. It's like the famed observations on the 'big forum' when debating the demise of the Pattaya's high-season. The empirical statement that 'all Indian restaurants in Pattaya are empty' was based on one member's observation of 3 Indian restaurants opposite the 2nd Road exit from central at 2 PM as he departed the car park... a one-off, 3-to-5 second glance to the right while in moving traffic. Hardly a quantitative assessment.

Unless you are sitting looking out your window continuously for hours on end, your observations aren't scientific. Apart from posting more frequently here, you probably ate, had a nap, woke up and went for a crap so maybe you missed all the lulls and caught all the jams? Anyway, didn't your previous, very necessary regimen of revictualizing the hostelries and pubs of greater (and lesser) Isaan typically entail that you were never here to observe the Monday (and Tuesday) traffic?

Sadly, my pressing need to suddenly drive the ring-road yesterday around late afternoon rush-hour was fueled solely by your contention that it was still heaving. It definitely wasn't at the junction you mention. Next time I will drop by and say hi.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 31, 2020, 10:51 am

Point of note: why is it that most major tire and rim retailers in Udon consider themselves as "essential" businesses?

FWIW, my mate back in Oswaldtwistle, Lancs who is lead mechanic at a major DAF truck agency was told last week that since his employer serviced and repaired fire trucks, ambulances and garbage wagons for several regional councils, he was classed as an essential worker. Last Friday, he was given a letter from his employer confirming this should he be stopped and questioned by the police.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » March 31, 2020, 10:57 am

Plenty of traffic at route 2 and 210 junction this morning at 9am . From all directions .
Traffic has thinned out in the last week or so , but there are still plenty on the roads considering we are in an emergency .
Like Jon , no idea where they all go other than most commercials are heading for Nong Khai and the border .
Where the locals go , who knows , hardly anywhere to go , is there ?
As for the Tyre shops being essential good point , but many newer cars do not carry a spare or tools , you get a gas canister of what looks like expanding foam . Just enough to get you to a tyre shop .

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » March 31, 2020, 11:06 am

I might have a bit of an idea about where the locals are going...nowhere, yesterday I had to go any get some meat, after going nowhere myself for a week I found myself slowly cruising the ring road @ 60kmh just for the hell of it to enjoy the drive,funny enough I was listening to talking heads ..road to nowhere :D ,stir crazy
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 31, 2020, 11:10 am

tamada wrote:
March 31, 2020, 10:33 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:
March 31, 2020, 8:09 am

DM
No. I am disagreeing that your spurious observations of one junction is indicative of all traffic movement during all daylight hours. It's like the famed observations on the 'big forum' when debating the demise of the Pattaya's high-season. The empirical statement that 'all Indian restaurants in Pattaya are empty' was based on one member's observation of 3 Indian restaurants opposite the 2nd Road exit from central at 2 PM as he departed the car park... a one-off, 3-to-5 second glance to the right while in moving traffic. Hardly a quantitative assessment.

Unless you are sitting looking out your window continuously for hours on end I AM as self isolating , your observations aren't scientific. Apart from posting more frequently here, you probably ate i can eat and look at the same time, had a nap NO daytime NAPS im from scunthorpe, woke up yes 5am best part of the day to take dogs out and went for a crap indeed for 2 mins i dont hag around in the bog so maybe you missed all the lulls and caught all the jams NO? Anyway, didn't your previous, very necessary regimen of revictualizing the hostelries and pubs of greater (and lesser) Isaan typically entail that you were never here to observe the Monday (and Tuesday) traffic? NOT WHEN THEY ARE CLOSED and i chose to be in Udin as opposed to bannork Buriram

Sadly, my pressing need to suddenly drive the ring-road yesterday around late afternoon rush-hour was fueled solely by your contention that it was still heaving. It definitely wasn't at the junction you mention. Next time I will drop by and say hi.
BTW ..its heaving NOW .. obviously with people doing essential trips and who appear not to be listening to the governments REQUESTS which will soon in my opinion become more and compulsory whether by curfew or not.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » March 31, 2020, 11:16 am

papafarang wrote:
March 31, 2020, 11:06 am
I might have a bit of an idea about where the locals are going...nowhere, yesterday I had to go any get some meat, after going nowhere myself for a week I found myself slowly cruising the ring road @ 60kmh just for the hell of it to enjoy the drive,funny enough I was listening to talking heads ..road to nowhere :D ,stir crazy
Very good point . Remember the old days when you would go for a drive just for the hell of it .
Not to get anywhere , or visit anyone . Just for the drive .
After this crisis is over and you no longer have to sell a kidney to afford a tankful of gas , maybe people will start doing it again .

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 31, 2020, 11:19 am

I'm about to do a booze run, Vinnie's stocks are running a bit low, oh yeah that's right the missus mentioned food or summat, apparently we are running low there too but that's her department along with everything else that isn't beer, it's not my fault, I can't multi task. Anyway, I shall see what the ring road is like on the way to Nadee, I will give you a honk on the way past Jon.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 31, 2020, 11:24 am

saint wrote:
March 31, 2020, 11:16 am
papafarang wrote:
March 31, 2020, 11:06 am
Very good point . Remember the old days when you would go for a drive just for the hell of it .
Not to get anywhere , or visit anyone . Just for the drive .
After this crisis is over and you no longer have to sell a kidney to afford a tankful of gas , maybe people will start doing it again .
Myself and Mrs M often go for a drive and have come across some lovely places, one being a village where the majority of the houses are still wooden and on stilts, no I don't remember the name nor could I find my way back there, lovely lakes with lots of water buffalo in them, little markets etc, it's great to see the countryside here, better than in town IMO.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 31, 2020, 12:44 pm

vincemunday wrote:
March 31, 2020, 11:19 am
I'm about to do a booze run, Vinnie's stocks are running a bit low, oh yeah that's right the missus mentioned food or summat, apparently we are running low there too but that's her department along with everything else that isn't beer, it's not my fault, I can't multi task. Anyway, I shall see what the ring road is like on the way to Nadee, I will give you a honk on the way past Jon.
Better double-up the order Vince!

Sakon Nakhon governor BANS sale of alcohol until 16 April.

https://www.komchadluek.net/news/regional/425362
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/115677 ... -16-april/

Maybe my side of the ring road will get busier with the NS punters running here to get their piss?

BTW, just blew through the green light at DM's uncongested intersection for the second time in less than 18 hours. I honked but I didn't see him.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 31, 2020, 12:53 pm

tamada wrote:
March 31, 2020, 12:44 pm
vincemunday wrote:
March 31, 2020, 11:19 am
Better double-up the order Vince!

Sakon Nakhon governor BANS sale of alcohol until 16 April.

https://www.komchadluek.net/news/regional/425362
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/115677 ... -16-april/

Maybe my side of the ring road will get busier with the NS punters running here to get their piss?

BTW, just blew through the green light at DM's uncongested intersection for the second time in less than 18 hours. I honked but I didn't see him. :^o DOLL AIR
Out on another essential mission eh Tam or just a jolly.. time for a busy intersection vid as im multi tasking looking at traffic backed up and typing at the same time.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 31, 2020, 1:16 pm

^ Essential inasmuch as to keep the reporting on UM fair and balanced... plus a detour via Tops to complete a very time-critical purchase.

I would say the ring road traffic is generally less than before the coronavirus, even at peak times. I will grant you that it's busier than it should be based on what they've been told about staying at home. Plenty empty pickups needlessly tootling about (just like mine). Meanwhile, inside the city remains very, very, VERY quiet. I reckon maybe only 20 or 30 cars parked under Central.

If comparing it to what we've seen in the UK and other nations where the government's have issued similar rather nebulous definition of "only essential services' the yes, it appears to be too busy. This is another facet of the time worn Thai disclaimer of any responsibility, namely 'Up to you.' In lieu of any 'extreme' state of emergency, I am pretty sure the provincial hammers will still be coming down.

Just heard the self-styled Queen of the Crankies agitatedly stating that only workers in "really essential services" should be commuting or out and about. So now we have another sub-category of 'really' for the average ignoramus to taunt the lock-down police with. Just sit down and write up a bloody list of who can and who can't go to work will you?

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”