Miscellaneous COVID-19/Corona Virus Discussion, Questions, etc.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Miscellaneous COVID-19/Corona Virus Discussion, Questions, etc.

Post by stattointhailand » March 28, 2020, 9:05 pm

from my experience of trying to produce a workable ECML timetable I an safely say "TOO F*****G MANY"

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 28, 2020, 9:14 pm

Another 260 Die in The U.K .....Total now is 1,019 !!!

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 28, 2020, 9:15 pm

jackspratt wrote:
March 28, 2020, 8:29 pm
stattointhailand wrote:
March 28, 2020, 8:17 pm
Thought it through ...........
....... I don't think you have.

How many different operators have trains running, and competing, on those tracks?
So lets take Virgin as a prime example, owned by the Virgin Group spearheaded by Richard Branson, begging the UK for several billion to keep them afloat, registered in the Virgin Islands, don't pay UK taxes on what basis can it be right that the UK tax payer bail them out... for cheaper fares?
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 28, 2020, 9:16 pm

747man wrote:
March 28, 2020, 9:14 pm
It's not getting better is it.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 28, 2020, 9:25 pm

Is British Airways a "national carrier", and does its owner, IAG, pay UK tax?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 28, 2020, 9:27 pm

vincemunday wrote:
March 28, 2020, 9:15 pm
jackspratt wrote:
March 28, 2020, 8:29 pm
stattointhailand wrote:
March 28, 2020, 8:17 pm
Thought it through ...........
....... I don't think you have.

How many different operators have trains running, and competing, on those tracks?
So lets take Virgin as a prime example, owned by the Virgin Group spearheaded by Richard Branson, begging the UK for several billion to keep them afloat, registered in the Virgin Islands, don't pay UK taxes on what basis can it be right that the UK tax payer bail them out... for cheaper fares?
Vince, Branson has to reg virgin there coz since 2009 UK companies have not been allowed to donate more than 7.5K to the tory party

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 28, 2020, 9:34 pm

jackspratt wrote:
March 28, 2020, 9:25 pm
Is British Airways a "national carrier", and does its owner, IAG, pay UK tax?
couldn't give a monkey's Jack ........ if they want "bailing out" by UK taxpayers the companies assets belong to the taxpayer

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 28, 2020, 9:50 pm

So you would be OK to see both BA and Virgin go down the gurgler?

Wouldn't that mean only the EU and middle east carriers (+ Thai if they survive) would be available?

Sacré bleu :shock:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 28, 2020, 10:01 pm

Fly NBA (National British Airways).

Virgin? Take a number.

Noted that the worlds biggest and least popular airline RyanAir was one of the first to stop flying, stack the few planes they owned and handed all the leased ones back.

I reckon he will be the first one back in business AND making money. Just hope they have at least a couple daily flights to Udon.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 28, 2020, 10:38 pm

vincemunday wrote:
March 28, 2020, 9:16 pm
747man wrote:
Vince, That's The Understatement of The Week, Mate......

tinpeeba
udonmap.com

Post by tinpeeba » March 29, 2020, 2:46 am

tamada wrote:
March 26, 2020, 5:03 pm
laksnrub wrote:
March 26, 2020, 2:54 am
Worth watching, and asking why the world shut down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOSYOZy ... zhzR32xlaM
Good post, thanks.
Sorry but I think that the man in this video is talking nonsense.
Coronavirus isn't simply like flu, it is a new virus and there is still a lot to learn about it. It is much more contagious and may prove to be more deadly.
We don't know yet which measures are effective and whether some have been an over-reaction but there are large differences between countries which indicate that early intervention and tight controls are not an over-reaction but effective; compare Taiwan and Singapore versus Italy and Spain. It will be revealing to see what the outcome is in the USA because there the numbers are so large and the response has so far been slow and muddled.
Eventually the total number of deaths caused by coronavirus will be known and although we won't know how many would have died had all the draconian measures not been implemented, the modelling indicates that without such measures the death toll would likely be about 10 times greater.
There will of course be an enormous economic impact but competent governments have to respond to immediate threats to their citizens lives and be seen to be doing so. To treat coronavirus like the flu and let it run it's course is neither an acceptable nor moral option.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 29, 2020, 4:57 am

pipoz4444 wrote:
March 28, 2020, 11:46 am
I just can’t believe that some of these Governments, did not have an “Emergency Epidemic Response Plan” of some sorts in place, before this Covid 10 started ... I just see a lot of these Governments, being either unprepared for an event such as this, or too slow off the mark to recognize the potential impact of Covid 19 and then act.
pipoz4444
Yes, they would have had plans. NZ's government had a plan based around I think it was 80,000 deaths peaking at 10,000 in one week (population 5 million). It's hard to believe a first world country wouldn't have had such a plan. The problem is the plans weren't taken seriously and in many countries sufficient resources weren't put in place. I suspect the countries coping best such as Singapore and Taiwan had resources set aside for their plans.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 29, 2020, 5:09 am

747man wrote:
March 28, 2020, 10:38 pm
vincemunday wrote:
747man wrote:

Just wow, things are looking terrible.
Attachments
4D7CAF99-40FA-4C5B-AC9A-85B2D4DC1492.jpeg

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » March 29, 2020, 6:36 am

vincemunday wrote:
March 29, 2020, 5:09 am
747man wrote:
March 28, 2020, 10:38 pm
vincemunday wrote:
747man wrote:

Just wow, things are looking terrible.
"If we can keep deaths below 20,000 we will have done very well in this epidemic,"
Quite a scary quote from the UK's NHS Director yesterday, we are at just over a thousand just now.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 29, 2020, 6:48 am

We forget , or rather we do not get the information, that many of these people had underlying health issues which weakened their immunity. This VIRUS as I understand has the ability to seek out and attach itself to the illness you have especially if it is a respiratory Illness or a blood disorder , and make it far worse , thereby rendering the bodies ability to fight almost useless, the end result is death, sadly. Too many taken to early due to this virus .

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 29, 2020, 6:57 am

Good popint, however I caution looking at Italy and Spain against Taiwan or Singapore, the Population diversity is vastly different, The aforementioned European countries have far more people in the older age bracket, for example Italy is known as the country with almost 20+ % over 65 , whereas the SE Asian countries mentioned that figure is considerably lower. Lifestyle also plays a tremendous part.
How they treat is important certainly , Singapore for example is known for its use of the law to improve and maintain health standards , in order to mitigate situations just like this as opposed to European countries .

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 29, 2020, 7:07 am

Khun Paul wrote:
March 29, 2020, 6:48 am
We forget , or rather we do not get the information, that many of these people had underlying health issues which weakened their immunity. This VIRUS as I understand has the ability to seek out and attach itself to the illness you have especially if it is a respiratory Illness or a blood disorder , and make it far worse , thereby rendering the bodies ability to fight almost useless, the end result is death, sadly. Too many taken to early due to this virus .
Information about the increased mortality of people with other health problems has been available from the start

That is not the way it works. If you are already fighting an illness your body has less ability to to defend against a second infection. The reduced defence allows the COVID-19 infection to be more severe. The severe cases kill.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on March 29, 2020, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 29, 2020, 7:13 am

Correct

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » March 29, 2020, 8:12 am

Khun Paul wrote:
March 29, 2020, 6:48 am
I'm struggling with this 1019 deaths in the past couple of months out of a population of 67 Million.From what I can gather everyone linked to
People with serious underlying health problems.My opinion it will die off in the summer months just like influenza .My worry is the social unrest that will occur if the world economies don't start moving again pretty soon. Regarding bailouts with cash reserves of around 3 trillion the bills should land on China's doorstep. My views seem totally against the grain on here.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 29, 2020, 8:23 am

I see and understand what you're saying Chuchi but don't the cases in Florida sort of fly in the face if that opinion? I'm not a great believer in the hot weather theory and nor is the WHO who think that this virus is more affected by body heat, our body's tend to operate at the same temperature no matter what climate we are in.

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”