Miscellaneous COVID-19/Corona Virus Discussion, Questions, etc.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Miscellaneous COVID-19/Corona Virus Discussion, Questions, etc.

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 16, 2020, 6:25 am

parrot wrote:
April 16, 2020, 1:46 am
Returning to normal? Maybe not as quick as we'd like

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... al/609940/
If i was abetting man i would go for some some countries to ease up on internal restrictions within their own borders first in the coming weeks with harder hit nations taking a lot longer .. i can see this running throughout 2020 in most parts of the world.

DM

Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 16, 2020, 6:54 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but it seems to me the Thai hospitals are doing a good job and managing this quite well , example yes only 8 cases in Udon but 6 recovered and returned home 2 still in hospital and zero deaths .. i realize there are not the high number of cases here as there are many other countries (if the numbers are accurate and the same department that monitors road fatalities isnt doing the counting) but the health workers and other departments involved are doing a good job ... ARENT THEY ??

Ive had a few spells in hospital here over the years ,,, worst being in September 2007 when i was in a gas explosion at my home in Pattaya .. 2 weeks in ICU , 15 surgeries followed by nearly 4 months in the burns unit at an individual Naval hospital in Sattahip .. these people saved my bacon and i will never forget the experience.

DM

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » April 16, 2020, 7:47 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 16, 2020, 6:54 am
but the health workers and other departments involved are doing a good job ... ARENT THEY
Yes, they are.
Thailand is fairing very well.
I know there are skeptics about the true numbers, but I know that they are correct for my area, as wife at hospital.
Also, all hospitals talking to each other, (not necessarily at top level) because medical staff get regularily moved around in Thailand.
They all know what's going on.
I'm feeling the numbers are pretty right

tamada
udonmap.com

Angry Citizens Protest Michigan Stay-At-Home Order

Post by tamada » April 16, 2020, 8:14 am

Evidence, if ever evidence was needed that what is good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the (Michi)gander.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 16, 2020, 8:28 am

A good news story -

Born in the days when men didn't wear skirts & make up and didn't cry when they lost a vote.

Well done Captain Tom, what a great man you are.

BBC News - Coronavirus: Captain Tom Moore's NHS fundraiser tops £10m
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-52303859
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 16, 2020, 8:33 am

So far I think the Thai govt has handled things very well. There's been no knee jerk reactions just measured responses to potential problems, I've used the general hospital a couple of times now and I've found the doctors and nurses to be just about as good as we get in the UK, yes the surroundings aren't all that and they lack some of the technology our hospitals take for granted (but even that is improving) but in the main I feel safe and that I'm being treated like I should, yes I paid but not very much and I waited perhaps a bit longer but that's the way it is here.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 16, 2020, 10:31 am

My concern is that until we have a medical answer to the question of Immunity if you have had the Virus and the possible
outcome of a resurgence of infections or even if like the flu it returns each and every year , what the prognosis is for the world getting back to normal.

Personally I do not think it ever will, Health Checks on International travellers will be the norm. Banning from entering some countries because of your travel history just some of the problems that will have to be faced, plus of course ensuring passenger safety on ALL forms of Transportation including locally .Here the Coaches and Buses here are notoriously bad at passenger Hygiene and cleanliness. as are the local Food stalls.. This will require a major shift I feel in how this and other countries conduct themselves, obviously cannot go back to how it was .

The simple fact that this Virus has highlighted basic lack of personal Hygiene and cleanliness should be a wake up call to us all but the future looks good providing we do not let our guard down at all !

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 16, 2020, 11:58 am

Mate of mine from Isle of Man wants to go home but apparently the Manx government closed their border on 27 March and now has mandatory health checks at the mainland ferry port in Heysham for returners before boarding the ferry. They are then isolated onboard and upon landing, transported to the Comis Hotel & Golf Resort that has been repurposed as a 14-day, supervised quarantine facility.

What's bothering him and a few others is the Manx Government have included this in their 'terms and conditions' of being allowed to return.

"I accept that:

The Isle of Man Government may take action against me if any of the information provided in this form is false or misleading.

Unless I am in receipt of income related benefits, or an Educational Maintenance Grant I will be responsible for all costs which are incurred and associated with my re-entry in the Isle of Man, which may include, but is not limited to:

1. Accommodation or transport outside the Island
2. Any medical assessment outside the Island
3. Travel to the Island, and any food or accommodation provided during that voyage
4. Any food and accommodation costs during the period of quarantine in the Island"

They've started a petition on change.org to allow legal residents to return to their homes on the island and do their unsupervised self-quarantining there instead. Most seem to be complaining about being asked to pay for the official repatriation procedure.

Manx social media is apparently afire with those already home and 'safe' decrying the selfish behavior of those who got caught outside the country when the border closed and want to enter on their own cognizance. This isn't a restriction applied to Manxmen (and women) returning from overseas as they are included but it's also for every Manxman (and woman) who may simply have been on the UK mainland up until 26 March.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 16, 2020, 12:03 pm

tamada wrote:
April 16, 2020, 11:58 am
Mate of mine from Isle of Man wants to go home but apparently the Manx government closed their border on 27 March and now has mandatory health checks at the mainland ferry port in Heysham for returners before boarding the ferry. They are then isolated onboard and upon landing, transported to the Comis Hotel & Golf Resort that has been repurposed as a 14-day, supervised quarantine facility.

What's bothering him and a few others is the Manx Government have included this in their 'terms and conditions' of being allowed to return.

"I accept that:

The Isle of Man Government may take action against me if any of the information provided in this form is false or misleading.

Unless I am in receipt of income related benefits, or an Educational Maintenance Grant I will be responsible for all costs which are incurred and associated with my re-entry in the Isle of Man, which may include, but is not limited to:

3. Travel to the Island, and any food or accommodation provided during that voyage
4. Any food and accommodation costs during the period of quarantine in the Island"

They've started a petition on change.org to allow legal residents to return to their homes on the island and do their unsupervised self-quarantining there instead. Most seem to be complaining about being asked to pay for the official repatriation procedure.

Manx social media is apparently afire with those already home and 'safe' decrying the selfish behavior of those who got caught outside the country when the border closed and want to enter on their own cognizance. This isn't a restriction applied to Manxmen (and women) returning from overseas as they are included but it's also for every Manxman (and woman) who may simply have been on the UK mainland up until 26 March.
Bloody hell thats a shocker !! .. paying for your own repatriation quarantine digs transport n food ..cheeky blighters.

Tan i speed read and digested all that just fine ..OK

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 16, 2020, 12:08 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
April 16, 2020, 10:31 am
My concern is that until we have a medical answer to the question of Immunity if you have had the Virus and the possible
outcome of a resurgence of infections or even if like the flu it returns each and every year , what the prognosis is for the world getting back to normal.

Personally I do not think it ever will, Health Checks on International travellers will be the norm. Banning from entering some countries because of your travel history just some of the problems that will have to be faced, plus of course ensuring passenger safety on ALL forms of Transportation including locally .Here the Coaches and Buses here are notoriously bad at passenger Hygiene and cleanliness. as are the local Food stalls.. This will require a major shift I feel in how this and other countries conduct themselves, obviously cannot go back to how it was .

The simple fact that this Virus has highlighted basic lack of personal Hygiene and cleanliness should be a wake up call to us all but the future looks good providing we do not let our guard down at all !
This, like any other flu variant, is now 'out there' in the wild and part of the history of people not even born yet. Any vaccine developed for Covid-19 will be added to the annual flu vaccine "cocktail" that the WHO, CDC and others approve for each consecutive flu season. It varies from year to year. I recall maybe 5 years ago there was a flu-shot shortage because the 'wrong' type had been predicted and they had to do a rush job to get the 'right' one bottled and shipped.

AFAIK, Covid-19 hasn't been spread by any "basic lack of personal Hygiene and cleanliness". That's a myth wrought of ignorance and personal prejudices.

This is certainly the case in Udon, Wuhan, Fort William, Sevastopol, Duluth, Innamincka, Timbuktu and Scunthorpe.
Last edited by tamada on April 16, 2020, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » April 16, 2020, 12:10 pm

Latest figures out today
29 new cases.
3 Deaths.
The good figure is 96 fully recovered leaving just 1033 cases still in Hospital.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 16, 2020, 12:32 pm

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 16, 2020, 12:32 pm

Keep seeing numbers for thailand advising “ still in hospital”.

Have these figures ever been broken down to just...

Laying in a hospital bed sick with symptoms?
Or
Laying on an ICU bed on deaths door?
Or
Are there also a group with symptoms and isolating at home being monitored?
Which group are the Recovered numbers from?

I see from some reports from Australia that many additional ICU beds in most hospitals empty because the original modeling numbers were never reached.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 16, 2020, 12:37 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 16, 2020, 12:03 pm
tamada wrote:
April 16, 2020, 11:58 am

"I accept that:

Bloody hell thats a shocker !! .. paying for your own repatriation quarantine digs transport n food ..cheeky blighters.

Tan i speed read and digested all that just fine ..OK

DM
Bit of a som nam-nah moment for the ki-niaw Manx executive maybe?

Coronavirus: Isle of Man Chief Minister Howard Quayle tests positive

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-i ... n-52234085

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 16, 2020, 12:40 pm

pal52 wrote:
April 16, 2020, 12:10 pm
Latest figures out today
29 new cases.
3 Deaths.
The good figure is 96 fully recovered leaving just 1033 cases still in Hospital.
indeed encouraging news.... and a bit more info on the average ages of fatalities and new case locations and /or infected existing health issues

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... s-thursday

https://covid19.ddc.moph.go.th/en

Wonder if Mr Quayle will read his own shocking memo ..

DM

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 16, 2020, 3:33 pm

There is a report on the Thai media of an older women who presented to that hospital in NamPhong a couple of days ago who tested positive and has caused 80 people to go into quarantine
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 16, 2020, 7:46 pm

Good to see the EU apologising to Italy, just Spain and Greece to go.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-52305053

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 16, 2020, 7:48 pm

Some of the ventilators have now been approved for manufacture, just a few more designs to be approved and they should start being delivered as they're needed.

BBC News - Coronavirus: Ventilator built by Airbus and F1 approved
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52309294

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 16, 2020, 7:59 pm

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... cases-drop
Some restrictions to be lifted possibly as early as Saturday

Sorry fells nothing mentioned about Liquor sales

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”