Miscellaneous COVID-19/Corona Virus Discussion, Questions, etc.

samster
udonmap.com

Re: Miscellaneous COVID-19/Corona Virus Discussion, Questions, etc.

Post by samster » March 29, 2022, 11:41 am

Returned to Thailand this AM on the test and go thingy. If anyone wants any specific info, let me know but the whole process, including applying for a new Non O retirement Visa, was quite painless.

The biggest headache was getting through Manchester airport on Monday morning. The queues were horrendous with many delayed flights as a result.

I disembarked the plane in BKK at 8AM and was in my hotel on Sukhumvit, having a cotton stuck up my hooter, by 10.30

Results due between 8 and 12 hours so, hopefully will have a few hours R&R before a flight home tomorrow.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 30, 2022, 9:36 pm

samster wrote:
March 29, 2022, 11:41 am
Returned to Thailand this AM on the test and go thingy. If anyone wants any specific info, let me know but the whole process, including applying for a new Non O retirement Visa, was quite painless.

The biggest headache was getting through Manchester airport on Monday morning. The queues were horrendous with many delayed flights as a result.

I disembarked the plane in BKK at 8AM and was in my hotel on Sukhumvit, having a cotton stuck up my hooter, by 10.30

Results due between 8 and 12 hours so, hopefully will have a few hours R&R before a flight home tomorrow.
Welcome back (almost).

Security at MAN is pretty bad. It's worse than the "African gates" at CDG.

Who did you fly with? Flight experience? Passenger load? Transit experience?

Did you get your Thai covid shot records into your NHS records?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » March 31, 2022, 10:29 am

tamada wrote:
March 30, 2022, 9:36 pm

Who did you fly with? Flight experience? Passenger load? Transit experience?

Did you get your Thai covid shot records into your NHS records?
I passed the test in time to have a night out in BKK and back in KK now. An anxious few hours waiting as I'd had Covid recently. Was given a piece of paper confirming negative at reception to show at check in for domestic flight along with an antigen test kit to do on day 5.

Flew Etihad (as always). Business Class so, experience was great. I can recommend the Sauvignon Blanc :D .

The MAN/AUH leg was full with long queues at check in and added stress for most as they weren't fast tracked through security. Didnt look through the curtains on the AUH/BKK leg but, judging by the number of people at the gate beforehand, I would suggest it was no more than 50%.

Re transit, security at AUH was deserted which was unusual. Spent the 2 hour stop in the lounge so, all good personally!

I checked the online NHS record prior to the flight but, it hadn't been updated. I took both documents but only showed the UK one as Thai authorities only require 2 jabs.

Just checked again and it's now showing the Thai one so the system works....slowly. Its been quicker to update with the bout of Covid I had just prior to departure but, my initial infection in July has disappeared - good job as my records would soon be like War and Peace.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 10, 2022, 5:35 pm

In further signs that life is returning to normal: entry to Central from the parking garage was limited to the door nearest the exit ramp......until today (maybe a day or two sooner??)
Woohoo

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 11, 2022, 12:13 am

Just finished my last five days with Omicron. For those interested,

Day 1 Sore throat and sniffles and sneezing

Day 2 Head cold, runny nose, sore throat and felt a bit lethargic. Also felt a bit clammy, but not really a fever and very mild dose of the "Runs". After some antihistamine tablets, strepsils and lots coffee, it seemed to make it a bit feel a bit better, but I knew something was coming.

Day 3 Worse: Sore throat, pain in lower back and arms joints, slight fuzzy head ache, mild fever, loss of taste and felt flat as roadkill. Slept most of the day on an off (given it was my day off work anyway). Had some help from a couple of Tramadol's and some night time Cold & Flu tablets. I didn't eat all day, but took in a few liters of water.

Day 4 Started to fell a bit better, throat was 50/50, had an intermittent cough (like a tickle in the throat that made you cough every 5 minutes, just to clear it), still felt a bit clammy, still had no real taste and mouth was dry. Headache was gone and only mild pain in lower back (which another Tramadol took care of). Throat getting better by end of the day.

Day 5 Back to about 90% normal if there is such a thing, these days. Still have the left over of a a slightly blocked nose. Some taste started to return and feeling hungry. No aches or pain anymore, no headache and not feeling lethargic. Seems almost to have run most of its course

On a scale out of 10, when compared to some of my previous bad 48 Flu virsu's, I would give it a 7.5

I have had some 48 hour Flu virus's, that have knocked me around a lot more than the last 5 days. But then it is different for others

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 14, 2022, 3:08 pm

samster wrote:
Returned to Thailand this AM on the test and go thingy. If anyone wants any specific info, let me know but the whole process........ was quite painless.

My experience this morning was very similar to samster.

Thai Pass is checked (through the QR code) prior to hitting immigration.

After getting stamped in, pick your bag(s) up, and head out the front to find your SHA hotel rep. Into the bus, and for me and the 3 others in the bus, stop off at the aligned testing facility for a PCR, where an ATK kit was also handed over for day 5 testing.

All in all, a far easier process than when I returned a bit over 12 months ago.

Now sitting in the hotel awaiting the test result, and hopefully, freedom.

I travelled with Singapore Airlines from Perth, with a transit in Singapore. The Perth/Sing flight was jam packed with holiday makers recently released from WA's very strict - and popular - COVID restrictions. The Sing/Bangers flight was probably only about 40% full.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 14, 2022, 3:21 pm

Jack, how did you go with the insurance requirement:-
Duration
Company
Charges etc
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 14, 2022, 3:32 pm

Good question Dero.

I took out a 30 day policy with MSIG Insurance, at a cost of THB1780.

https://www.msig-thai.com/en/personal-i ... -say-hi-20

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 14, 2022, 3:48 pm

jackspratt wrote:
April 14, 2022, 3:08 pm
samster wrote:
Returned to Thailand this AM on the test and go thingy. If anyone wants any specific info, let me know but the whole process........ was quite painless.

My experience this morning was very similar to samster.

Thai Pass is checked (through the QR code) prior to hitting immigration.

After getting stamped in, pick your bag(s) up, and head out the front to find your SHA hotel rep. Into the bus, and for me and the 3 others in the bus, stop off at the aligned testing facility for a PCR, where an ATK kit was also handed over for day 5 testing.

All in all, a far easier process than when I returned a bit over 12 months ago.

Now sitting in the hotel awaiting the test result, and hopefully, freedom.

I travelled with Singapore Airlines from Perth, with a transit in Singapore. The Perth/Sing flight was jam packed with holiday makers recently released from WA's very strict - and popular - COVID restrictions. The Sing/Bangers flight was probably only about 40% full.
Popular? Right...

I was reading in the Post how they've added another app to help the less traveled get from the baggage claim to the correct hotel check in kiosk at the airport. They've also added more if these kiosks to address the scrum.

FWIW, the online AQ.in.th service claims to have a list of AQ hotels that will deliver PCR test results in 3 to 6 hours. Handy for those with onward connections or fancy a dalliance on Soi Cowboy before coming home (like in olden times).
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 14, 2022, 4:11 pm

tamada wrote:
April 14, 2022, 3:48 pm

Popular? Right...
That was certainly the overwhelming impression I gained during my month in Perth/Broome/South West.

Perhaps your recent experience was different.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 14, 2022, 5:05 pm

jackspratt wrote:
April 14, 2022, 4:11 pm
tamada wrote:
April 14, 2022, 3:48 pm

Popular? Right...
That was certainly the overwhelming impression I gained during my month in Perth/Broome/South West.

Perhaps your recent experience was different.
Sorry, dirty foreigners weren't allowed to share those magnificent freedoms. Just the experience of my mate from Freo who got trapped outside the dream state and after he eventually got back, had to beg the government for permission to leave again. Also denied me the chance to complete a three year, offshore work program.

Good that it's finally getting sensible in WA but.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 14, 2022, 6:01 pm

jackspratt wrote:
April 14, 2022, 3:32 pm
Good question Dero.

I took out a 30 day policy with MSIG Insurance, at a cost of THB1780.

https://www.msig-thai.com/en/personal-i ... -say-hi-20
Did the 30 days represent/cover the use by date on your re-entry permit?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 14, 2022, 8:52 pm

No - my next extension (and re-entry validity) is late July.

I took a punt on the shorter cover. If you look at their (MSIG) website, they have 15 day cover, but I thought that might be too risky.

You have to send a copy of the policy when you apply for the Thai Pass, so I am not sure how closely they check the period of coverage, or if they even care.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 18, 2022, 9:48 am

Bangkok Hospital Pattaya are doing walk-in Moderna shots for 1650 baht per dose "excluding doctor fee for consultation or further treatment."

Bangkok Hospital Udon have relocated their Covid vaccination facilities to the 4th floor.

Bangkok Hospital Udon walk-in PCR/RTK test is in the new building at the new entrance on Watthananuwong, between the Thongyai roundabout and Sampan.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 20, 2022, 2:49 pm

jackspratt wrote:
April 14, 2022, 8:52 pm
No - my next extension (and re-entry validity) is late July.

I took a punt on the shorter cover. If you look at their (MSIG) website, they have 15 day cover, but I thought that might be too risky.

You have to send a copy of the policy when you apply for the Thai Pass, so I am not sure how closely they check the period of coverage, or if they even care.
Just checking the latest requirements for a friend and seen this:-
If I am a returning expat, how long should I get insurance for?
There is no hard rule for how long you need insurance. Returning expats are being accepted with policy coverage of 30 days.
Looks like you got it in one, Jack.

This site:-
https://www.thaiembassy.com/travel-to-t ... iland-pass

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 20, 2022, 8:03 pm

It would appear that the Omicron variant surfaced in late 2021, possibly before, who really knows. So it is fair to say that Omicron has probably been the most dominant variant, for the past 3 months

JAPAN: In March 2022, Bloomberg printed that the “Omicron strain of Covid-19 is at least 40% more lethal than seasonal flu, according Japanese scientists, ……………………..heath risks” and that” the case fatality rate of omicron in Japan, based on cumulative excess deaths and the number of infections since January, was about 0.13%, according to an analysis by scientists who advise the country’s health minister. .

0.13% equates to, 1.3 persons in a 1,000 or 130 persons in 100,000

OTHERS: According to the latest stats, from JHC, for some Countries, over the last 28 Days, looking at the Case and Death numbers, (if I read it correct), the Mortality Rate, as a percentage is/was, as follows

Australia comes in at 0.0712 % Mortality Rate

New Zealand comes in at 0.1226 % Mortality Rate

Japan comes in at 0.1470 % Mortality Rate

Ireland comes in at 0.2466 % Mortality Rate

Thailand comes in at 0.4087 % Mortality Rate

Canada comes in at 0.4868 % Mortality Rate

UK comes in at 0.5356 % Mortality Rate

US comes in at 1.7510 % Mortality Rate

LINK https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Personally, I still can’t work out what all the fuss is about in Australia (70 people per 100,000, if my Math's is correct) over Omicron, when one compares it with Australian mortality rates from other diseases and or even the Ozzie seasonal flu. :-k :-k We must be a pretty fit bunch Down-under, must be all that exercise we do at the Pub. \:D/ \:D/

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on April 21, 2022, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 20, 2022, 8:16 pm

Is it too early to surmise that "all the fuss" has a direct correlation to the low death rate?

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » April 21, 2022, 10:20 am

Today 4/21 2022.
A large study confirms an increased incidence of myocarditis in mainly young men who have been vaccinated with Pfizer-Biontech's corona vaccine - and even higher for those who have received Moderna's vaccine, according to the Medical Products Agency.

The risk of myocarditis, myocarditis, is higher after two doses than after one with both vaccines. The risk is also greater with two doses of Moderna (Spikevax) than two doses of Pfizer-Biontech (Comirnaty), the agency writes in a press release.

"Compared to unvaccinated men aged 16-24 years, there were between 4 and 7 extra cases of myocarditis per 100,000 vaccinated within 28 days after the second dose of Comirnaty. After the second dose of Spikevax, the same figure was between 9 and 28 extra cases", says Rickard Ljung, professor and doctor at the agency and responsible for the study.

The extra cases among men aged 16–24 mean that it is 5 times more common with myocarditis after Comirnaty and about 15 times more common after Spikevax compared with the unvaccinated group.

Vaccination was paused
An increased risk of pericarditis, pericarditis, was also noted.

Both side effects are still considered very rare.

There is also an increased risk for women vaccinated with mRNA vaccine to develop myocarditis, but the risk is much lower than for men.

Preliminary results from the study were behind the Swedish Public Health Agency's decision to pause Moderna's vaccine for people under 30 in the autumn of 2021.

The benefits of the vaccine outweigh the risks of side effects, writes the Medical Products Agency.

"A strength"
The majority of myocarditis cases occurred within the first 7-10 days after vaccination. No deaths occurred among persons under 40 years of age.

The study was conducted together with several Nordic authorities and more than 23 million people have been included.

"Myocarditis is rare and then a larger population is needed to be able to study these connections. As we in all Nordic countries have similar health care systems and comprehensive registers, Nordic co-operation is a strength in these contexts," says Rickard Ljung.
//Alfie..:-)

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 21, 2022, 10:33 am

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » April 22, 2022, 9:09 am

There is now a 24/7 testing service at Swampy for departing passengers.
Does not say how long the test results take but there are 2 phone numbers to contact them.
Courtesy of Richard Barrow.
https://www.richardbarrow.com/

COVID-19 Testing Service
for Departing Passengers
24/7 at Suvarnabhumi Airport:

📍1st Floor, Entrance 3
Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital, ATK testing service
Tel. 08 4660 4096

📍1st Floor, between Entrance 7 and 8
Health Infinity, ATK/RT-PCR testing service
Tel. 09 5919 9528

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”