Will visa overstays be...

fredwilliams
udonmap.com

Will visa overstays be...

Post by fredwilliams » March 17, 2020, 1:55 am

...acceptable if the travel shutdowns continue?

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: Will visa overstays be...

Post by vincemunday » March 17, 2020, 6:47 am

I’ve been thinking about this too, what about 90 day reporting etc too? I’ve just renewed by permission to stay or whatever they call it (which as it happens was a great experience, took no time at all) so I guess I better look into reporting online. Things like this need to be clarified ASAP.

As a side note, those of you who do border runs might have to check if the borders and overseas offices are still open.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 17, 2020, 7:08 am

fredwilliams wrote:
March 17, 2020, 1:55 am
...acceptable if the travel shutdowns continue?
Highly doubtful, you still have to get extensions AFIK at the moment.

However it seems that you can get more than 1 30 day extension. The Italian embassy has a page where you can send them the requirements you then get a document back by email that you take to immigration for your second 30 day extension.

I haven’t seen a formal announcement so it maybe negotiated country by country.

You can see the list of closures of airports, so for those I would think an extension would be automatically allowed.

Of course it would be sensible to allow a period beyond the permission to stay in the present circumstances however immigration has not generally been known for being sensible.

If permitted it will not be an overstay
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

fredwilliams
udonmap.com

Post by fredwilliams » March 17, 2020, 9:31 am

Thanks, sometime.

Yes, additional 30-day extensions appear to be the way if push comes to shove.

(Either that or unlimited free masks and antibacterial soap to accompany the daily servings of brown rice in the slammer, LOL!)

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 17, 2020, 9:36 am

vincemunday wrote:
March 17, 2020, 6:47 am
I’ve been thinking about this too, what about 90 day reporting etc too? I’ve just renewed by permission to stay or whatever they call it (which as it happens was a great experience, took no time at all) so I guess I better look into reporting online. Things like this need to be clarified ASAP.

As a side note, those of you who do border runs might have to check if the borders and overseas offices are still open.
Good luck trying to complete a 90 day report online, I've only been successful twice since its inception in April 2015.

Doing it by EMS post ALWAYS works well for me. Receipt back in a couple of days for a total cost of 37 Baht plus a stamped return address envelope.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 17, 2020, 11:05 am

vincemunday wrote:

cant see the 90 day reporting being an issue but anyone who does border runs maybe could have problems ..as you say stuff like this does need clarifying.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 17, 2020, 11:33 am

fredwilliams wrote:
March 17, 2020, 9:31 am
Thanks, sometime.

Yes, additional 30-day extensions appear to be the way if push comes to shove.
Do be careful as an automatically permitted extension(if immigration alows it), a second 30 day extension of a visa or visa exempt entry and an overstay are not the same and in all probability will be treated differently.

When you know the planned return date, airline and airport you should check first that there is no closure of the airport/country, then that the airline is still flying and in business, then you will know if your friends need more time.

The first 30 day extension if on visa exempt or tourist visa needs nothing extra. Just ฿1,900 Baht at immigration.

Beyond the first extension is new territory with not much information right now.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 17, 2020, 11:36 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
March 17, 2020, 9:36 am
vincemunday wrote:

Good luck trying to complete a 90 day report online, I've only been successful twice since its inception in April 2015.
So far the times I tried I was unsuccessful the first time but since then it has worked so I have an 80% success rate.

I use the information I know they have on file for me which is not the same as the accurate information.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 17, 2020, 12:14 pm

In The Case of a 60 Day Extension of a Marriage Visa, What Happens when the 60 Days Run Out IF The Country is in LOCKDOWN.......??? Or If say The Laos Border is Closed,& There will NOT Be any Flights Out Anyway....

Answers on the back of a Postage Stamp Please !!

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 17, 2020, 2:57 pm

The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 17, 2020, 4:39 pm

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 19, 2020, 10:16 am

Slightly off topic for which I do apologise but I,ve read that the Ukraine, as an example, will not be fining foreigners for visa overstays during the Covid 19 shutdowns.
Will Thailand do the same?
That said I,ve noticed a new large building starting to go up on the Nong Khai road... will that be a Detention Centre for errant farangs ?
Only joking ;)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 19, 2020, 10:26 am

no reason for over stayers at the moment
if and when they close the borders it could be a problem
but there are always fixes

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » March 19, 2020, 10:49 am

This may be helpful....

Tourism Minister To Seek Reprieve For Overstayers

From The Bangkok Post
By: Narumon Kasemsuk

Overstay 1.jpg
A tourist wears a protective mask on Monday at Wat Pho, a temple which is usually full of tourists, amid fears of coronavirus. (Reuters photo)

The Tourism Ministry will seek a reprieve for some 500,000 tourists who will end up overstaying their visa now that countries in Europe have started sealing their borders to deal with Covid-19.

"Most of the remaining tourists are long-stay elderly travellers from Germany, Italy and Russia who spend their winters here. They came to Thailand before the virus hit their hometowns and decided not to return home. They fear not receiving sufficient healthcare [upon returning home during such dire circumstances]," said Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn.

European countries have been closing their borders since this weekend and flights have been cancelled, making it impossible for tourists to fly back home, he said.

Mr Phiphat told the Bangkok Post that he is going to discuss the matter with the Interior Ministry and Immigration Bureau, as this problem comes under their jurisdiction.

He plans to seek a temporary reprieve for these tourists as well as visa extensions for those whose countries have been affected. He will also ask the authorities to not have overstayers blacklisted.

By law, tourists from most countries can get a tourist visa for 30 days and are fined 500 baht for every day they overstay. Serious offenders can face deportation or be blacklisted, which bans them from re-entering.

Mr Phiphat said the request is for humanitarian purposes, adding that long-stay guests can also help keep local businesses running during this tough time. However, he admitted this is a "delicate" issue and could lead to future concerns about national security.

As for whether Thailand will impose strict measures to stop foreigners from entering the country, Mr Phiphat said Thailand will not shut borders.

"But we will intensify screening along the borders and boost medical checkups for tourists from neighbouring countries," he said. "Thailand has a good reputation for its healthcare and hospitality services, which gives foreigners more confidence. However, since Thais are worried about the outbreak, we have to carefully screen each incoming guest."

Apart from border checkpoints and airports, the 4th Army Region is also strictly guarding natural borders.

Courtesy of The Bangkok Post
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/18 ... verstayers

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 19, 2020, 11:31 am

noosard wrote:
March 19, 2020, 10:26 am
no reason for over stayers at the moment
if and when they close the borders it could be a problem
but there are always fixes
I was thinking more the elderly who come here to escape the European winter weather for a period of between 90-180 days.
If you were an Italian or Spaniard over 65 you wouldn't be too keen to go back to those countries at present would you.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 19, 2020, 1:59 pm

could always use a one of these visa agents
100% guareenteed

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 19, 2020, 3:37 pm

The Thai authorities are set to make an announcement with regards to the situation of foreigners in Thailand who inadvertently overstay their visas due to disruption to travel and immigration services because of the coronavirus.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/115437 ... paign=news

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 19, 2020, 4:44 pm

Wonder how clear the mud will be

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 20, 2020, 3:41 pm

Just Posted regarding extensions of Visas

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/115461 ... paign=news

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 20, 2020, 3:49 pm

PHUKET: Phuket Immigration is issuing all foreigners stuck in the country due to the COVID coronavirus situation 30-day extensions so they do not have travel and risk infection, The Phuket News was told this morning (Mar 20).

"So we are issuing 30-day extensions in accordance with immigration regulations that allow for such measures during special circumstances, such as an outbreak of disease," he added.

The extensions cost B1,900 each, Lt Col Udom confirmed.

However, any foreigners seeking to extend their stay must have letter from the embassy or consulate of their home country, he stressed.

Like i said as clear as mud
catch 22 " the letter "

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”