How many people have been tested???
Anywhere
https://ourworldindata.org/covid-testing

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: Has anybody thought this?

Post by Doodoo » March 18, 2020, 11:26 am

Why are people concerned on how many have been tested
The only reason to test is if a person with the symptoms of the virus appear and then they can be quarantined and treated. If not why waste a kit for test

Reason I mention this is that it appears people think once you are tested negative you are home free and that is not the case. It means you dont have the virus at the point in time BUT you certainly can become infected 24 hours later

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 18, 2020, 1:48 pm

Doodoo wrote:
March 18, 2020, 11:26 am
The only reason to test is if a person with the symptoms of the virus appear and then they can be quarantined and treated. If not why waste a kit for test

Reason I mention this is that it appears people think once you are tested negative you are home free and that is not the case. It means you dont have the virus at the point in time BUT you certainly can become infected 24 hours later
If the question was slightly re-phrased it makes a lot of sense.

How many people in each country who show symptoms have been tested
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 18, 2020, 2:53 pm

Doodoo wrote:

lol if you dont test anyone you dont have any virus
seems a bit head in the sand

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 18, 2020, 3:45 pm

Is having your head in the sand and waiting until aprils warmer weather Trumps latest idea?

Which member of his family has got shares in a sand extraction company ?

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 18, 2020, 4:56 pm

Seems a warm country has slight problem now
Malayasia closes it borders due to the virus spike
Pays not go to worship

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 18, 2020, 5:02 pm

How good is your maths
USA has 100 known deaths so far from corona virus
So for 100 deaths how many are infected
1% that is 10000
I believe Trump said dont worry it is under control
Sounds a bit like our leader

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » March 18, 2020, 5:24 pm

With the inevitable future burden on the Banks, is it time to think about withdrawing savings, Will some go bust, Is it time to buy gold.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 18, 2020, 6:06 pm

I may be wrong but when China stopped blanket testing and reserved it for those with symptoms and/or most at-risk, their daily event log spiked as the needle of 'true' infections were identified from the previous haystack of "I'm feeling a bit peaky today, can you test me?"

A -ve test is meaningless unless one is already actively engaging in self-quarantine mode and restricting one's movements while avoiding unnecessary contact with others.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 18, 2020, 6:12 pm

noosard wrote:
March 18, 2020, 2:53 pm
Doodoo wrote:

lol if you dont test anyone you dont have any virus
seems a bit head in the sand
But people ARE being tested and there already IS a virus.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » March 19, 2020, 9:34 am

I spent a bit of time researching this theory, and my doctor back in the States said it is quite possbly correct. The experts seem to be all over the place with this, I read an article by a researcher who worked extensively with the SARS virus supporting the theory that the half-life of this new coronavirus will be significantly affected by heat, making it easier to control in hot climates or summer months. But then I read other articles by other researchers that stated it is too soon to tell if that will be true, and that this virus has acted quite differently in many ways than other viruses have in the past.

The problem I see is that even if the half-life of the virus is significantly reduced, the "Mai Pen Rai" attitudes of much of the population may over-ride that factor and it may be able to replicate itself significantly anyway.

We have been practicing social distancing and only going to the stores when absolutely necessary, but it seems every trip I make I notice someone who has a fairly severe cough, sometimes the store workers themselves, chances are they don't have the virus, but it is being spread by people who are unwell but refuse to quarantine themselves, or some even wear masks. And are the people really going to be able to give up the neighborhood cock fights, drinking with friends, and so on? Time will tell.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » March 19, 2020, 10:05 am

Don't know if anybody has thought about this....certainly not the restaurant owners. One of my pet peeves is how restaurant owners turn a blind eye to cleaning all the condiment containers sitting on the tables.....salt/pepper shakers, ketchup, fish sauce and so on. Can you just imagine the bacteria that is spread from people with dirty hands using these items all day long...people who have been picking their nose and wiping their ass with no thought for good hygienic practices? Managers should be instructing employees to clean repeatedly throughout the day and use a bacterial spray with a clean towel every time the tables are cleaned after a customer leaves. They will generally use the same dirty cloth rag all day long to clean tables with not even a hint of bacterial spray on any table surface, and they usually just dab the wet spots and leave most of the table surface untouched. All of these areas are a breeding ground for bacteria and virus. 52 years ago when I entered US Marine Corps boot camp and spent one week on mess hall duty, we were instructed to follow that cleaning protocol after each and every meal. We even had to remove the caps from any condiment bottle and clean the insides of the cap. Each condiment bottle looked like a brand new bottle after every meal. I just wonder how many people have been getting sick for years in Thailand because of all the poor hygienic practices in restaurants, and no one thinks to trace it back to that source. No oversight.....out of mind!!!!!!!!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 19, 2020, 10:18 am

sfg, just a reminder that probably only a handful of Udon restaurants, if any at all, wash dishes in hot water. From what I've read about the virus in China, people weren't spreading the virus by using reusable chopsticks or touching jars of condiments. If you're using the same restaurants I normally use, diseased condiment tops should be the least of your worried

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 19, 2020, 10:24 am

parrot wrote:
March 19, 2020, 10:18 am
sfg, just a reminder that probably only a handful of Udon restaurants, if any at all, wash dishes in hot water. From what I've read about the virus in China, people weren't spreading the virus by using reusable chopsticks or touching jars of condiments. If you're using the same restaurants I normally use, diseased condiment tops should be the least of your worried
you starting to scare me
better hygiene all around will help

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » March 19, 2020, 11:03 am

Whilst i agree with what both Parrot and SFG , do not expect the same health and hygiene rules , regulations or practice anywhere east of Turkey !
This has been my experience over the years , but S E Asia is better than many countries yet still sadly lacking .
If you are really concerned about hygiene in restaurants , then dont eat out , or maybe Thailand is not the place for you , because ive seen no evidence of improved standards in more than 15 years of living here .

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » March 19, 2020, 11:19 am

And don't forget about the handling of paper money and coins. Nobody wants to talk about how dirty this practice is. One good reason for all economies to go with digital currency. Be extra careful when accepting change in the market places. Currency is being exchanged between stalls and God only knows how much contamination is there. It's really nice when you see a market seller put a paper bill in his/her mouth while they dig for change with wet fishy hands. Carry extra gel in your pockets. There's a thousand and one ways to die every day in Thailand, and it's like playing Russian roulette every time one leaves home. The irony is that I have only been sick with a cold once and a two day virus on one occasion in 10 years. Back in the US I was sick often! It must be the hot weather that is killing all the viruses!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » March 19, 2020, 9:37 pm

parrot wrote:
March 19, 2020, 10:18 am
I appreciate the comment Parrot, but just because Thailand has always had bad hygiene practices in many of its restaurants doesn't mean that it has to continue that way going forward. Drastic times require drastic measures, and this is such a time when officials should be implementing stiffer health department regulations and permits for food establishments. Oh, forgive me but I had a memory lapse and forgot that we are talking about Thailand. Forget it then!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The bad news is that the virus can live for a maximum of three days on common surfaces found in everyday life, like plastic or steel"...

The full article is here: https://dailycaller.com/2020/03/17/spre ... -bacteria/

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » March 20, 2020, 11:08 am

As far as the handling of money goes, I just pretend my wallet is full of the virus, because as far as I know it is, and I keep a little bottle of sanitizer in my front pocket. It may be that I will get the virus somehow, someday, but I am trying my damnest not to.

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”