Post Covid ecomony

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Post Covid ecomony

Post by Whistler » May 23, 2020, 4:18 pm

pip,

You have left India out of this equation. High rate of English speakers, good universities and a mixture of high level skills and very low cost labour.

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 23, 2020, 4:35 pm

Whistler wrote:
May 23, 2020, 4:18 pm
pip,

You have left India out of this equation. High rate of English speakers, good universities and a mixture of high level skills and very low cost labour.
Sorry, but not in a million years.

Anybody who has worked with/around the Indian culture, would understand the folly of starting a business which is managed and run by Indians. Sorry to say, but their culture, is to steal (its endemic) and to cut corners at any opportunity and their honesty in business is very questionable. Then there is the issue of protectionism throughout India, it is not a level playing field by any account.

Starting a business in India, as an International Company, would be doomed to failure, long term

Just my 2 cents worth

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 23, 2020, 5:00 pm

Maybe pip,

India is THE, and I capitalise this, India is THE largest IT outsourced powerhouse in the world. IBM, HP, Hitachi, Wipro etc, etc etc.

The third largest textile exporter in the world.

The 8th largest steel producer in the world.

The country has more than it's share of issues, culture being one of them, but it if it gets its act together, it has the potential to be the next big thing.

In the 1960's Japanese goods were crap, now Toyota is a symbol of manufacturing excellence, a world powerhouse with other Japanese products being synonymous with quality, Taiwan ditto, Korea ditto. These countries all pay high wagers now, so China became the next manufacturing growth country. I would suggest it is only a matter of time before India starts to improve, especially with low tech industries like metal fabrication and textiles. Would I buy an Indian made car, not on your Nelly, but if Toyota stated to run Indian factories with Japanese management and standards, I would happily buy
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » May 23, 2020, 5:31 pm

Interesting read
Source: https://www.pwc.com/gx/en/issues/econom ... -2050.html
===
[attachment=0]PROJECTIONS..jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
PROJECTIONS..jpg

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » May 24, 2020, 2:25 pm

1 1 1 1 cd38763f90c505549e78c181241_0b8d66ec_540.png

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 24, 2020, 3:36 pm

Whistler wrote:
May 23, 2020, 5:00 pm
Maybe pip,

India is THE, and I capitalise this, India is THE largest IT outsourced powerhouse in the world. IBM, HP, Hitachi, Wipro etc, etc etc.

The third largest textile exporter in the world.

The 8th largest steel producer in the world.

The country has more than it's share of issues, culture being one of them, but it if it gets its act together, it has the potential to be the next big thing.

In the 1960's Japanese goods were crap, now Toyota is a symbol of manufacturing excellence, a world powerhouse with other Japanese products being synonymous with quality, Taiwan ditto, Korea ditto. These countries all pay high wagers now, so China became the next manufacturing growth country. I would suggest it is only a matter of time before India starts to improve, especially with low tech industries like metal fabrication and textiles. Would I buy an Indian made car, not on your Nelly, but if Toyota stated to run Indian factories with Japanese management and standards, I would happily buy
W, there may well be some international Companies dotted around India, I didn't say there were not, and it may work for their current business models. But then there are a hell of a lot of Internationals who choose not to locate their manufacturing bases in India for obvious reasons. One being they value their Company name/reputation that they have built up over the years.

Almost everyday I am privy to seeing technical comparisons, between products/materials presented as made in India vs products/material made in other Asian or East European countries. I can tell you without a doubt or bias that those from India are of inferior in quality to those from elsewhere, that I see. I see the same in the Indian quality of workmanship compared to other nationalities. Nepalese are far better, as are the Vietnamese and the Thai workers, in the way they work and how they do it.

Anyway this was about how I saw Thailand manufacturing post Covid 19 and I still say that I don't see a major exodus of manufacturing businesses from Thailand in foreseeable future of uncertain business time, given the limited number of suitable countries to move to. Just my view

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on May 24, 2020, 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 24, 2020, 3:54 pm

With hospitality and tourism businesses in the doldrums for years, young people in particular are going to struggle to find employment for a considerable time. When does an economy become post Covid?
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 24, 2020, 4:03 pm

GT93 wrote:
May 24, 2020, 3:54 pm
With hospitality and tourism businesses in the doldrums for years, young people in particular are going to struggle to find employment for a considerable time. When does an economy become post Covid?
5 to 7 months for Thailand :^o

pipoz4444

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 24, 2020, 4:50 pm

pip,

Agree, they have their challenges. However, an old Jewish tailor once said, 'never mind the quality, feel the width'.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » May 24, 2020, 5:30 pm

I don't think India will ever rival China, because of the caste system.
A higher caste won't even talk to a lower caste, let alone employ them, communicate with them, pay them properly, and look after them, (like a good employer should).

I can understand the IT industry success there, but I would bet, (and Whistler, you will know better than me), that they are all of the same caste.

If you tried to run a business there, involving different caste's for job skills, knowledge etc, it would be a complete disaster as no communication/combined spirit would occur.

My two cents worth

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 24, 2020, 6:13 pm

Mick,

You are right in many respects, they are higher caste Hindu or Tamils, a lot around the old city of Madras. They are frustrating to deal with, like robots, zero initiative and zero creative input, but they work at about 15% of Western wages and tend to be damned good programmers, technically excellent. Totally hopeless software designers or project managers.

If you remember the Qld Health payroll fiasco, IBM put the Indian team in to implement the project.....nuff said.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » May 24, 2020, 6:27 pm

Yeah,
Been there a bit and you don't realize what's going on until a local gives you the story, (which is also hard to come by).
Then, you see a different world.
Not nice in some respects either.

But, such is life, as 1 hanged person once said. :lol:

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 24, 2020, 6:46 pm

mickojak wrote:
May 24, 2020, 6:27 pm
Yeah,
Been there a bit and you don't realize what's going on until a local gives you the story, (which is also hard to come by).
Then, you see a different world.
Not nice in some respects either.

But, such is life, as 1 hanged person once said. :lol:
Mick,

He said this before he was hanged, not after.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » May 24, 2020, 6:48 pm

I hope so

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 24, 2020, 7:50 pm

mickojak wrote:
May 24, 2020, 6:48 pm
I hope so
He only said one thing after the hanging.

arghhhhh

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 24, 2020, 9:02 pm

If the world doesn't get the locomotive back on the tracks, more people are going to die than from the virus. I say that even though I am in the highest risk group. Get back to work and let it run its course.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 24, 2020, 9:26 pm

Diving in, hasn't the pandemic outed super successful Singapore as a kind of caste society?

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » May 24, 2020, 9:56 pm

Mr Parrot you call it a << caste society >>i think it s better to view it as a Master and Slaves society. Btw this is widespread all over the world, where low skilled workers are seen as disposable. Japan with foreign TRAINEES, Hk with live-in maids, Taiwan with temporary workers, Thailand with 2-3 million guess workers. The USA with millions of unprotected workers to be disposed of at the will of a boss. How many little White American boys, the one with big arms, big mouth, big guns and no brain, work on the meat-chicken processing line at Tyson Foods ? Who care idf they die, get injured, there is an endless supply << Brown Boys >>. Shame.. Shame...

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 25, 2020, 6:15 am

Economies will still be there , if people would rather make money than live that's a special kind of stupid, you can't make money if your dead . Me I like being alive and want continue.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » May 25, 2020, 6:53 am

the-monk wrote:
May 24, 2020, 9:56 pm
Mr Parrot you call it a << caste society >>i think it s better to view it as a Master and Slaves society. Btw this is widespread all over the world, where low skilled workers are seen as disposable. Japan with foreign TRAINEES, Hk with live-in maids, Taiwan with temporary workers, Thailand with 2-3 million guess workers. The USA with millions of unprotected workers to be disposed of at the will of a boss. How many little White American boys, the one with big arms, big mouth, big guns and no brain, work on the meat-chicken processing line at Tyson Foods ? Who care idf they die, get injured, there is an endless supply << Brown Boys >>. Shame.. Shame...
another dumb brit with a huge chip on his shoulder. you know nothing about american life.
believe me when i say , all americans work from
an early age . far from being discriminatory, most
often people bend over backwards to help new
immigrants. the only loud-mouthed-ill-informed
blowhards seem to be you brits? what a weaselly
race . i've yet to meet (1) of you with an actual spine

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”