A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Barney
udonmap.com

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Post by Barney » December 2, 2021, 7:57 am

ON THIS DAY – 2nd December

1642 – Members of Tasman's crew became the first Europeans to set foot on Van Diemen's Land (later renamed Tasmania).

1811 – Reverend Samuel Marsden sent the first commercial shipment of wool from New South Wales to England.

1816 – John Oxley allotted the first land grants in the Illawarra district.

1823 – John Oxley became the first European to navigate the Brisbane River.

1907 – The Victorian Railways A2 class locomotive began operating in Victoria.

1911 – The Australasian Antarctic Expedition, led by Douglas Mawson, left Hobart to begin an expedition to Antarctica.

1916 – Sydney Twelve: 12 members of the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW or the Wobblies) were convicted in Sydney of conspiring to commit arson and sedition.

1968 – At the Australian Film Institute Awards ceremony, Prime Minister John Gorton announced the creation of the Australian Film Development Corporation.

1970 – The numbat was officially listed as endangered.

1980 – The Federal Government lifted controls regulating the interest rates offered by banks on customer deposits.

1985 – Federal Parliament passed the Australia Act, cutting the nation's last legal and constitutional ties with Britain.

1986 – Justice Mary Gaudron was the first woman appointed to the High Court of Australia.

1998 – The Linton bushfire killed five volunteer firefighters in Linton, Victoria.

Pictured:
F Ottens, 'Anthony van Diemens Land', 1726 [ALMFA, SLT] (UTAS) – Top
Numbat Joey (Perth Zoo) – Bottom Left
Mary Genevieve Gaudron QC (High Court Australia) – Bottom Right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 3, 2021, 5:25 am

ON THIS DAY – 3rd December

1797 – George Bass set out from Sydney in a whaleboat with six oarsmen to explore south along the coast. He found the Kiama Blowhole (6 December) and the Shoalhaven River (7 December), he also visited Jervis Bay, and named Twofold Bay on 19 December, Wilson's Promontory (2 January 1798) and Western Port (5 January). He returned to Sydney two months later, having greatly increased the settlers' knowledge of the geography of Australia.

1800 – The brig Lady Nelson and Lt. James Grant arrived in Southern Australia; Grant named Cape Northumberland, Cape Banks, Mount Schanck and Mount Gambier.

1825 – Van Diemen's Land became fully independent from New South Wales. The Legislative Council of Tasmania was established and George Arthur, former Lieutenant-Governor, was promoted as its first Governor.

1854 – The Battle of Eureka Stockade: In what was claimed by many to be the birth of Australian democracy, more than 20 goldminers at Ballarat, Victoria, were killed by state troopers in an uprising over mining licences.

1920 – The first successful flight from Melbourne to Perth was completed. Clement John De Garis's first major interstate flight was in the DH.4 from Melbourne to Perth, the first time Australia had been crossed by air from east to west, a distance of 2,169 miles (3,491 km). The plane landed at Belmont Park Racecourse on 3 December 1920, after 19 hours 10 minutes. One stretch of 1,105 miles (1,778 km) was done in 8¾ hours. De Garis, Briggs and their mechanic, Sergeant Stoward, were given a mayoral reception on their arrival in Perth. On 14 December they flew from Perth to Sydney, a distance of 2,462 miles (3,962 km) in a time of 21½ hours.

1963 – Australians could connect more easily by telephone with the rest of the world by International Direct Dialling with the opening of the Commonwealth Pacific Cable System (COMPAC). This was part of a scheme to connect the British Commonwealth by telephone.

1995 – The Anzac Bridge in Sydney was opened to traffic.

1999 – The Glenbrook train disaster occurred on the CityRail network in New South Wales. Seven people were killed.

Pictured:
Battle of the Eureka Stockade. J. B. Henderson [1854] (SLNSW) – Top
Jack De Garis in his Boulton Paul P.9 90hp aeroplane promoting "Sun-Raysed" (Wiki) - Bottom

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » December 3, 2021, 6:01 am

Great reading Keep them coming

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 3, 2021, 6:11 am

I usually force my self to research some items posted that interest me and the first one today about bass taking a whale boat with 6 oarsman interested me. I surfed that long coastline for years and they must have been a tough team. Possible big swells and not to many safe landing points. But rowing now that’s a feat.
I’m sure the surf clubs used to compete in a surf boat rowing race over the same journey. I’ll look it up.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 3, 2021, 6:12 am

Barney wrote:I usually force my self to research some items posted that interest me and the first one today about bass taking a whale boat with 6 oarsman interested me. I surfed that long coastline for years and they must have been a tough team. Possible big swells and not to many safe landing points. But rowing now that’s a feat.
I’m sure the surf clubs used to compete in a surf boat rowing race over the same journey. I’ll look it up.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 3, 2021, 6:19 am

https://www.georgebassmarathon.com.au/

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 4, 2021, 4:45 am

ON THIS DAY – 4th December

1851 – Charles LaTrobe forwarded a Victorian Legislative Council motion passed unanimously opposing further transportation.

1953 – Oil was discovered in the Exmouth Gulf off the coast of Western Australia.

1976 – The Royal Australian Navy's fleet of Grumman Tracker aircraft was destroyed by arson at Nowra, New South Wales.

1995 – A gas explosion at Kogarah railway station in Sydney killed two people.

Pictured:
Portrait of Charles Joseph La Trobe, standing in uniform. Sir Francis Grant, 1855 (SLV) - Left
Drilling for oil in the Exmouth Gulf, 1954 (SLWA) – Top Right
NAS Nowra after the hangar fire of 4 December 1976 that all but wiped out the RAN Tracker fleet. The roof over the southern end of the hangar collapsed destroying all the aircraft beneath it (RAN) – Bottom Right

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 5, 2021, 7:26 am

ON THIS DAY – 5th December

1791 – Major Robert Ross returned to Port Jackson from Norfolk Island. His marines, having been displaced by the newly arrived New South Wales Corps, were frequently drunk and rowdy. On 17 December, Ross and most of the marines returned to England on HMS Gorgon.

1909 – George Taylor, little-known pioneer in Australian aviation, achieved the first Australian flight of a heavier-than-air machine. Inspired by Hargrave's experiments with flying using a box kite, Taylor built a biplane from coachwood, covered with oiled calico, and with a box-kite tail for balance. On 5 December 1909, together with Edward Hallstrom, Taylor launched his glider from the sandhills at the northern Sydney beach of Narrabeen, thus pioneering gliding in Australia. He conducted more than 20 flights that day, varying in distance from 100 to 250 metres, at heights ranging from 1 to 3 metres above the sand. Taylor's wife, Florence, also tried her hand at gliding that day, becoming the first woman to fly in Australia. She later complained that her biggest problem was her clothes, and having to tuck in her skirts as she flew.

1924 – The first Woolworths Supermarket opened in the Imperial Arcade in Sydney called 'Woolworths Stupendous Bargain Basement'.

1928 – England defeated Australia by record 675 runs at Brisbane.

1941 – Clive Caldwell, Australian fighter ace, shot down five Junkers Ju-87 (Stuka) dive bombers in a matter of minutes.

1958 – Construction of Stage I of the Sydney Opera House began.

1983 – NSWRL reinstated Western Suburbs after Equity Court ruling. Wests ended up moving to Campbelltown around the same time.

Pictured:
George Augustine Taylor (Monash University) – Bottom Left
Woolworths Stupendous Bargain Basement opened for business in Sydney's Imperial Arcade 1924 (Woolworths Group) – Top
The Australian air ace Clive Caldwell, in about 1942 (AWM) – Bottom Right

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 6, 2021, 5:58 am

ON THIS DAY – 6th December

1784 – Transportation of convicts from England to Australia was first authorised.

1827 – William Arnott, the founder of Arnott's Biscuits, was born.

1882 – A rare Transit of Venus across the disc of the Sun was visible from Australia, and many scientific parties arrived from around the world to observe and record the transit. The next occurrence was June 2004.

1909 – The Newcastle–Bolgart Railway was opened.

1909 – Alan McGilvray, Australian cricketer and commentator, was born. Alan David McGilvray AM MBE (6 December 1909 – 17 July 1996) was an Australian cricketer who played several first-class seasons for New South Wales in the mid-1930s before becoming the doyen of Australian cricket commentators. He became identified as the voice of Australian cricket through his ABC radio broadcasts.

1981 – Rob de Castella of Australia set a Marathon record at 2:08:18

Pictured:
Colour lithograph of the First Fleet entering Port Jackson on January 26 1788, drawn in 1888. Creator: E. Le Bihan (SLNSW) – Top
William Arnott, vintage print extracted from Illuminated address to W. Arnott Esq. J.P. Newcastle, N.S.W. August 1899 from the Wesleyan Methodist Churches of the Newcastle Circuit on William Arnott's departure from Newcastle, by Alfred Sharpe (SLNSW) – Bottom Left
Alan McGilvray (The Australian Media Hall of Fame) – Bottom Right

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 7, 2021, 4:23 am

ON THIS DAY – 7th December

1800 – Lieutenant James Grant named Cape Otway and Portland Bay; the Lady Nelson became the first ship to cross Bass Strait from the west.

1813 – George Evans reached the Macquarie River some forty-two miles (68 km) beyond Bathurst, and was thus the first European to cross the Great Dividing Range, the more famous expedition led by Gregory Blaxland not having actually crossed the main range.

1866 – John Granville Grenfell, gold commissioner, was killed by bushrangers near Narromine. On December 7th 1866 Grenfell was travelling from Bourke to Dubbo when two masked bushrangers tried to hold up the coach. At the time Grenfell was holding the reins and refused their demands. He drew his pistol and fired at the outlaws, who returned his fire and badly wounded Grenfell in the thigh. Although doctors treated him as soon as help could be obtained, he died twenty four hours after being shot. A reward of £400 was offered for the arrest and conviction of the armed men but they were never caught. The township at Emu Creek was subsequently re-named Grenfell to recognise his heroic act.

1915 – The evacuation of ANZAC forces from Gallipoli began. Some argue that the evacuation was the greatest Allied success of the campaign.

1963 – Cricket umpire Colin Egar ‘no-balls’ Ian Meckiff four times in Meckiff's first over for throwing and effectively ended Meckiff's Test career.

Pictured:
Australian troops charging an Ottoman trench, just before the evacuation at Anzac (US NARA) – Top
Australian cricketer Ian Meckiff prior to Australia's 1957-58 tour of South Africa (NAA) – Bottom

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 8, 2021, 5:56 am

ON THIS DAY – 8th December

1801 – Matthew Flinders explored and charted individual George's Sound (later Albany) in Western Australia.

1858 – The construction of St Patrick's Cathedral, Melbourne began.

1892 – Pioneer aviator Bert Hinkler was born in Bundaberg, Queensland.

1899 – An electric tram service commenced in Sydney, along George Street from the railway to Circular Quay.

1910 – Geelong, Victoria was declared a city.

1934 – Imperial Airways extended its airmail service to Australia.

1956 – The 16th Olympic Games closed at Melbourne, Australia

1975 – 4ZZZ independent community radio station launched in Brisbane.

1987 – Queen Street Massacre: 22-year-old Frank Vitkovic killed 8 and injured another 5 in an Australia Post office building in Queen Street, Melbourne before falling to his death from the 11th floor.

Pictured:
individual George's Sound, view from the north-west, pencil and wash by William Westall in 1801 (Wiki) – Top
Bert Hinkler and his Avro Avian 1928 (Wiki) – Middle
Trams on George Street, 1920 (SLNSW) – Bottom

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 9, 2021, 4:27 am

ON THIS DAY – 9th December

1798 – Bass and Flinders confirmed the existence of the Bass Strait.

1873 – More than 1,000 striking gold miners attacked police and Chinese workers were brought in to Clunes in Victoria to break the strike.

1878 – Ned Kelly and his gang locked 22 people in a storehouse on a sheep station near Euroa, Victoria. The next day they robbed Euroa's bank.

1882 – One of the earliest sightings of the yowie was recorded in a letter from naturalist H J McCooey in "The Australian Town and Country Journal", dated 9 December 1882. McCooey claimed to have seen the yowie in 1880, in an area of bushland between Ulladulla and Bateman's Bay on the New South Wales southern coast. He described the yowie as being about 5 feet high, and it stood on its hind legs as it watched the birds up in trees. It had long black hair which was reddish about its throat. Its eyes seemed small and were hidden by dirty, matted fur around its forhead. Its forearms seemed grotesquely long, though the rest of its body seemed to be in relative proportions. Repulsed by the appearance of the creature, McCooey threw a stone at it, whereupon it disappeared into a nearby ravine.

1882 – Brisbane was the first city in Australia to install electric lighting.

1909 – Colin Defries made the first powered flight in Australia at Victoria Park Racecourse in Sydney, using the same Wright Flyer that Banks would later use at Diggers Rest. Colin Defries (1884–1963) was an English racing driver and pilot who made his first powered aeroplane flight over Australia on 9 December 1909. He piloted a Wright Model A airplane approximately 100 yards (91 m), although the flight was not officially recognised. Defries managed to fly at height of about 15 ft (5 m) at a speed of about 36 mph. He then lost control and crashed, that led to the opinion that no controlled flight was achieved. With the Aerial League and a newspaper denying that the flight had occurred at all, Defries made a second attempt on 18 December. Finally, his mechanic, R. C. Banks, made an attempt of his own on 1 March 1910, and crashed the plane again. Wing Commander Harry Cobby wrote in Aircraft in March 1938 that "the first aeroplane flight in the Southern Hemisphere was made in 1909 by Mr Colin Defries, a Londoner, at Victoria Park Racecourse, Sydney, in a Wilbur Wright aeroplane". Colin Defries was a trained pilot, having learnt to fly in Cannes, France. By modern standards his flight time was minimal, but in 1909 he had enough experience to become an instructor. He took it off, maintained straight and level flight, albeit briefly, and landed safely, on his first flight. His crash landing on his second flight demonstrated what a momentary lack of attention could cause while flying a Wright Model A. Despite rival claims for aviators Fred Custance and Harry Houdini, whose historic flight was in fact certified by the Aerial League of Australia as the first, it is claimed by some Australian historians and the Aviation Historical Society of Australia that the definition of flight established by the Gorell Committee on behalf of the Aero Club of Great Britain dictates the acceptance of a flight or its rejection, giving Colin Defries credit as the first to make an aeroplane flight.

1941 – Australia declared war on Japan, and the Axis powers of Finland, Hungary and Romania.

1997 – The Australian Bankers Association doubled the bounty on the head of bank robber Brendan Abbott.

Pictured:
Yowie (Australian Beasts) – Bottom Left
An Australian propaganda poster from 1942 referring to the threat of Japanese invasion. This poster was criticised for being alarmist when it was released and was banned by the Queensland government (AWM) – Bottom Right
Colin Defries in the pilot's seat of his Wright machine. This shows the way in which Mr. Defries covered one of the supporting wires to prevent himself from getting damaged in the event of an accident (Wiki) - Top

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 10, 2021, 6:23 am

ON THIS DAY – 10th December

1792 – With the colony beginning to flourish, Phillip was granted leave and permitted to return to England. He left on the Atlantic, taking Bennelong and Yemmerrawanne with him, and retired to a quiet life in Bath. While the British government decided on a replacement, Francis Grose (the commanding officer of the New South Wales Corps) took control as Acting Governor.

1817 – Bushranger Michael Howe was caught, but escaped after killing his captors.

1859 – Queensland officially separated from New South Wales.

1895 – Launceston, Tasmania became the first Australian city to be powered by hydro-electricity with the opening of the Duck Reach Power Station.

1909 – The University of Queensland was established.

1915 – Father and son scientists William Henry Bragg and William Lawrence Bragg won the Nobel Prize in Physics: "For their services in the analysis of crystal structure by means of X-ray".

1918 – Royal Australian Navy ships sailed to the Black Sea to assist the White Army in the Russian Civil War.

1919 – Keith and Ross Smith, piloting a Vickers Vimy, reached Darwin at the end of the first England to Australia flight and won the Australian air race to fly from England to Australia in under 30 days.

1923 – Sculptor Daphne Mayo became the first woman to receive a medal for sculpture from the Royal Academy.

1934 – Qantas makes its first international flight from Darwin to Singapore.

Pictured:
William Bragg (Wiki) – Left Middle
Lawrence Bragg in 1915 (Nobel Prize) – Left Bottom
The 1919 England to Australia Air Race winning Vickers Vimy crew (Aces Flying High) – Top
Portrait of Daphne Mayo (John Oxley Library SLQ) – Bottom Right

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 11, 2021, 6:49 am

ON THIS DAY – 11th December

1792 – Francis Grose officially took up his role as Administrator.

1823 – Richmond Bridge, the oldest bridge in Australia still in use, had its foundation stone laid.

1931 – Statute of Westminster gave complete legislative independence to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Ireland (Free State), and Newfoundland (not then part of Canada).

1950 – ‘A Town Like Alice’ by Nevil Shute was published. Nevil Shute Norway (17 January 1899 – 12 January 1960) was an English novelist and aeronautical engineer who spent his later years in Australia. He used his full name in his engineering career and Nevil Shute as his pen name to protect his engineering career from inferences by his employers (Vickers) or fellow engineers that he was not a serious person or from potential negative publicity in connection with his novels, which included On the Beach and A Town Like Alice.

1958 – The National Institute of Dramatic Art (NIDA) opens in Sydney.

1958 – The ICI House opens in Melbourne, the tallest building in Australia at the time.

Pictured:
Richmond Bridge Panorama (Wiki) – Top
1st edition cover ‘A Town Like Alice’ (Wiki) – Bottom Right
Shute, pictured in ‘The Women’s Day’ 1949 (Wiki) – Bottom Left

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 12, 2021, 12:03 pm

ON THIS DAY – 12th December

1815 – Captain James Kelly set out on circumnavigation of Tasmania, during which important observations were made on the resources of the west coast.

1860 – Initial riots on the Lambing Flat goldfields near present-day Young, New South Wales.

1882 – Australia’s worst gold mining disaster, to date, occurred in Creswick, Victoria. The Australasian Mining Company had begun prospecting for gold in the area in 1867, and enjoyed rich returns with the discovery of the Australasian Lead, one of five rich gold leads, or rivers of gold buried beneath layers of basalt, sand and gravel, that run through the area. A decade of regular flooding caused the Australasia No 1 mine shaft to be abandoned. The Australasia No 2 shaft was sunk approximately 200 metres away after the formation of a new company, the New Australasian Gold Mining Company, in 1878. At around 5:30 am on the morning of Tuesday, 12 December 1882, water which had been accumulating in the Australasia No 1 mine burst through the wall of the reef drive, trapping 27 workers. Hearing the noise of the flooding above ground, water pump engine driver James Spargo increased the speed of the pump, and was quickly joined by two other engine drivers, James Harris and Thomas Clough. Over the next few days, the men ran the engines at more than 10 times their normal speed, trying to lower the water to save the trapped men. Unable to escape from the mine, the men sought respite from the rising waters in the small space of the No 11 jump-up, one of several cutaways where the men would “jump up” out of the way of the mine trucks. A special train was dispatched from Melbourne with equipment to dive into the water. Diving equipment borrowed from the HMS Cerberus, together with experienced divers, was sent up from Melbourne. It was Thursday (some sources say Friday) before the trapped men could be reached, and by that time, 22 had died. Only 5 were brought out alive.

1917 – The Royal Australian Navy battlecruiser HMAS Australia was damaged in a collision with the British cruiser HMS Repulse.

1945 – Sir Howard Walter Florey, pharmacologist and pathologist, shared the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1845 for his role in the making of penicillin.

1981 – A referendum was held in Tasmania to vote for whether or not the Franklin Dam should be built. 47% vote for the original proposal, 8% vote for the compromise solution & 45% vote informally. It is estimated that up to one-third of all votes were for 'no dams', which was not a sanctioned option.

Pictured:
Captain Kelly's cottage in Collins St [centre left with chimney], about 1930 [W.L. Crowther Library, SLT] (UTAS) – Top
The Creswick Mining Disaster – Scene at the Head of the Shaft – The Braceman Announcing the Death of the Miners (SLV) – Bottom Left
Sir Howard Walter Florey, Nobel Prize in Medicine 1945 (Nobel Foundation) – Bottom Right

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 13, 2021, 10:16 am

Without trying to be a complete idiot, I’m actually trying to negate my idiocy by spending less than my usual maximum daily 15 minutes/ day on UM, here’s something from a FB link.

ON THIS DAY – 13th December

1858 – The first balloon flight in Sydney, Australia, took place.

1946 – The United Nations granted Australia trusteeship of Territory of New Guinea and Territory of Papua.

1955 – Australian housewife "superstar", Dame Edna Everage, made her stage debut.

1962 – The last telegram transmitted within New South Wales using morse code was sent from Sydney to Bombala.

1980 – The Illawarra Steelers were accepted as the 13th team in the NSWRL premiership for 1982, making them the first team from outside the Sydney metropolitan area to compete in the competition since Newcastle in 1909.

Pictured:
View of the atmotic ship invented by William Bland, March 10th 1851. Drawn and lithographed by W. L. Hutton (SLNSW) – Top Left
An intimate night with Dame Edna: New Jenny Craig ambassador performs at Civic Hotel, Sydney April 2012 (Wiki) – Top Right
Illawarra Steelers v St George Dragons (Wollongong2U FLikr) – Bottom

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 13, 2021, 1:50 pm

Great news. =D>
Western Australia will reopen its borders to the rest of the world on February 5, almost two years after COVID-19 turned the state into an "island within an island".....

..... International travellers will not need to quarantine if they have been fully vaccinated but will need to test negative for the virus before departure and on arrival and on day six.....
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-13/ ... /100683620

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » December 13, 2021, 8:49 pm

Khun Aardvark should be thrilled at the prospect of having hundreds of thousands of international tourists milling about the alleyways and back streets of Perth.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 14, 2021, 4:54 am

ON THIS DAY – 14th December

1840 – Governor Gipps appointed the first Government Printer.

1909 – New South Wales passed a law ceding land to the Commonwealth for construction of the national capital, Canberra.

1918 – The first Victorian Farmers Union member was elected to parliament as a result of the introduction of preferential voting.

1944 – The Liberal Party of Australia was formed, replacing the United Australia Party.

1967 – South Australia's Simpson Desert Conservation Park and Queensland's Simpson Desert National Park were proclaimed.

1968 – A referendum was held in Tasmania to allow the granting of Australia's first casino license to the Wrest Point Hotel. The referendum was passed.

Pictured:
Government Printing Office [Sydney, N.S.W.] c 1872 (SLNSW) - Top
New Liberal Party is constituted in Albury, New South Wales, 1944 (NMA) – Bottom

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » December 14, 2021, 5:07 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
December 13, 2021, 8:49 pm
Khun Aardvark should be thrilled at the prospect of having hundreds of thousands of international tourists milling about the alleyways and back streets of Perth.
You need a stab proof vest to go to those areas these days :(

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”