A little ray of sunshine from Australia

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Post by pipoz4444 » May 29, 2021, 10:52 pm

I actually have a lot of time for the Victorian Police =D> =D>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAyN12OR8Xo

pipoz4444

That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 31, 2021, 10:28 am

A bit of Australian history - the original "Pub With no Beer" is up for sale.
It was the inspiration behind a popular Australian country music song — and now the original 'Pub With No Beer' from Slim Dustry's classic is up for sale.

It's being sold freehold for the first time in 50 years, with a price tag of $3.5 million.

Current owner and publican Glenn Connell said the pub, located in Ingham in North Queensland, was a priceless piece of Aussie history.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-31/ ... /100178038

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 1, 2021, 7:03 am

Porter appears to me to be a very unpleasant aggressive character with poor judgement. I find it amazing that he can't even choose an unconflicted barrister to represent him. It's time for a public inquiry to check he's a fit and proper person to be in the federal cabinet.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » June 1, 2021, 4:42 pm

GT93 wrote:
June 1, 2021, 7:03 am
Porter appears to me to be a very unpleasant aggressive character with poor judgement. I find it amazing that he can't even choose an unconflicted barrister to represent him. It's time for a public inquiry to check he's a fit and proper person to be in the federal cabinet.
It seems possible that the former attorney general and alleged child anal rapist, Christian Porter, may get his day in court after all. Would love to know what was in those 27 pages of evidence that was never aired when the former attorney general and alleged child anal rapist, Christian Porter decided to discontinue his defamation claim against the ABC and Louise Milligan. https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... 1622537476
Watch Me!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 2, 2021, 1:27 pm

ON THIS DAY – 2nd June

1791 – Rose Hill was renamed Parramatta.

1845 – The brig Tobago was lost on the Western Reef, Tasmania. What makes the loss of the brig "Tobago" particularly interesting was that the 15 boatsmen who were part of the rescue mission were convicts. For their service all, bar one, received, as a reward for "Meritorious Conduct", reductions in their sentences, tickets-of-leave, or conditional-pardons. The one man who didn't receive any award had already obtained his ticket-of-leave and would be fully "free" before a conditional-pardon could be received.

1846 – First editions of Melbourne's daily newspaper, ‘The Argus’; and of Brisbane's weekly newspaper, ‘Moreton Bay Courier’, were published.

1864 – The schooner Waratah disappeared between Sydney and Newcastle, claiming seven lives.

1909 – Alfred Deakin became Prime Minister of Australia for the third time

1985 – 430,000 farmers marched on Parliament House, Melbourne protesting Labor's rural policies.

1985 – The vehicular ferry Empress of Australia made its last trip between the mainland and Tasmania.

1991 – Carlton go within thirty seconds of becoming the first goalless team in the VFL/AFL since
1961 and only the second since 1921. Mark Arceri kicked a goal from a free kick with 33 seconds remaining.

Pictured:
Lieutenant Colonel Ernest Edward 'Weary' Dunlop (AWM) – Bottom Right
Alfred Deakin [1856-1919] (The Australian Media Hall of Fame) – Bottom Left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 2, 2021, 6:52 pm

Not quite a "little ray of sunshine", but rather an undesirable aspect of "Life Down-under".

No offence intended to the people of the USA, but western Sydney, is starting to take on more of the characteristics of Detroit/Chicago, every day. (not that I have been to either one). [-X

Gone are the days of the two or so policemen rolling up in a cars, now its our turn for the Tactical Response Team. Maybe it was the 11 No armed men in side. =D> =D> Yes I do realize that they have ben around for some time, but I never saw too much of them in action in the past. I suppose the next is an Australian TV Series "OZ-S.W.A.T"

https://www.9news.com.au/national/nsw-p ... 7ee75cd50b

pipoz444

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 7, 2021, 12:03 pm

The Victorian Government is a Disgrace

I find it ironic if not totally hypocritical, that the Victorian Government (or any Government for that matter) can shut down their Economy and tell Millions in the private sector (businesses and employees), to just suck it up, take the financial loss and sit at home, until we (the Elite Politicians) tell you, that you are permitted to go back to work, again, whilst as a Government they pay themselves, during that period.

For the majority of the time, there is no financial assistance to Businesses who cannot operate, even when that business still has its normal running costs, during the lockdown period such as rents, interest on loans, etc. and in some cases have to pay their employee salaries to pay as well. These business costs run 24/7, yet there is no means to earn revenue during the lockdown, so that owner has to use his savings to keep afloat.

When at the same time that Politicians, Chief Health Officer and Government Public Department employees, eagerly await and collect their monthly salary cheque and have done so for the past 15 months, without ever saying “I will Pass on this One”. It appears to be good enough for all the Politicians and their Chief Health Officer to take money from the private sector, and then screw the private sector over, at the same time, by denying them the right to work or any real form of assistance. It is morally reprehensible and hypocritical of the Politicians and or Government persons, to accept their salaries when others are prevented earning having theirs.

It get worst. At the same time, all of those working in certain non-essential government sectors, such as public servants, tax officers, human services department and the like, are more than happy to sit it out at home, during that Government lockdown, when doing very little, if not F...k all whilst sitting at home (maybe some gardening), yet they also still put their hand out to collect that monthly pay packet, It’s like PIG in a TROUGH.

Who are the people losing out of this. In my view its mainly the Businesses Owners and their Employees, working in the private sector for a monthly wage. :-k :-k

I don’t see the Politicians or Government run entities, (Public Services, Tax Offices, Human and Administrative Services) personnel suffering financially during the lockdowns or even offering to give up any salary entitlement for any part of the time over the past 15 months, when others have been forced to do so. Those automatic monthly bank deposits, just keeps pumping out of the Government coffers and into their bank accounts, without fail. This is not unique to Australia and its Politicians and or Government sectors, I suspect it is the same approach in the EU and UK and USA. “I will feed first and you can eat the scraps later” =; =; =;

On the other hand the Healthcare workers, Police, Firemen etc. are exempt from my post/criticism above, as they have actually had to perform their duties and for the majority of time, have been forced to, over the past 15 months. This in itself is another form of Governmental hypocrisy, as these organizations are expected to work for their salaries, whilst the other Government Public sectors/departments are permitted to sit it out at home and still collect theirs ? If the Government was being fair about this, then they would be to pay the Healthcare workers, Police, Firemen, twice or three times their normal salaries, when they were working during the lockdown periods.

The crux of it is, that there appears to be little, if any financial suffering, on many of those who works in the Government Public Sectors, but a sh..t load of it on those who don’t. No social justice in this equation. :-k :-k

Messer’s Andrews, Merlino, Sutton and other need to take a hard look at their moral compasses and donate their last 15 month of salary to the poor and needy, who have been financially disadvantaged by their decision. [-X [-X [-X

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-02/ ... /100182396

pipoz4444

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 8, 2021, 2:27 pm

ON THIS DAY – 8th June

1805 – John Macarthur returned to New South Wales as a civilian settler; the British Government accepted his resignation from the New South Wales Corps and approved his return.

1829 – Captain James Stirling founded the Swan River Colony in Western Australia, landing at Garden Island.

1856 – Pitcairn Islanders arrived on Norfolk Island; the last convict had left and the island was no longer a penal colony. Queen Victoria granted the island to the Pitcairners as a home. Bounty Day is celebrated each year in Norfolk Island to commemorate the event.

1877 – Lutherans found the Hermannsburg Mission at Finke River in the Northern Territory.

1928 – Charles Kingsford Smith and his crew arrived in Brisbane, Queensland, after completing the first flight across the Pacific Ocean in the "Southern Cross" having left the United States on 31 May.

1942 – WWII – Between 31 May and 8 June – Japanese midget submarines shelled Sydney and Newcastle.

1945 – Perth received 476.1 millimetres (18.74 in) of rain in twenty-three days, its heaviest monthly rainfall on record.

1950 – Sir Thomas Blamey became the only Field Marshal in Australian history.

1951 – The first lessons of the School of the Air were broadcast from the Royal Flying Doctor Service in Adelaide.

1979 – Philip Silleny attempted to hijack a TAA aircraft near Brisbane but is disarmed by hostess Esme Qazim and other crew.

1985 – A year after moving from the morning to the evening 9.00pm timeslot, ‘Hey Hey It's Saturday’ moved to 6:30 pm Saturdays.

2007 – Newcastle, NSW, was hit by the State's worst storms and flooding in 30 years resulting in the death of nine people and the grounding of trade ship, the MV Pasha Bulker.

Pictured:
A Japanese Ko-hyoteki class midget submarine, believed to be midget No. 14, is raised from Sydney Harbour the day after the attack (Wiki) – Top Left
Head and shoulders colourised photograph of General Sir Thomas Blamey, KCB, CMG, DSO taken circa 1942 (Wiki) – Top Right
School of the Air Photograph of a teacher & pupil. Port Augusta RFDS (South Australian Medical Heritage Society Inc) – Bottom

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 8, 2021, 3:58 pm

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 8, 2021, 8:13 pm

A far more in depth report from the Guardian of the international criminal busts linked above by pipo.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -countries

Clearly, the Guardian should be on everyone's list of bookmarks if you want the most credible reports and facts on the news, coupled with intelligent Opinion pieces on what's happening behind the news. 👍

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 8, 2021, 9:39 pm

JS

I just quickly picked up the Aussie News Links to the story, on my phone, whilst rushing off somewhere.

For some reason, The Guardian stories don't come up on my phone. Maybe a Block from the Service provider, who knows

Anyway, where ever you read it, it is a dam good result, and less trash in the Society. \:D/ \:D/

pipoz4444

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 8, 2021, 9:49 pm

Indeed pipo. I am not sure the Guardian report was even up when you made your post breaking the news along with parrot on a different thread.

I thought it was worth highlighting the Guardian story because it includes interesting details not shown in the ABC or News articles.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 8, 2021, 10:00 pm

Sorry Jack, but I actually work, so don't have all day to track every Post that comes in.

Not to mention that my keyboard is not always stuck to my finger tips until around after 2.30 pm, Udon time 10.30am :-$ :wave:

pipoz4444

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 8, 2021, 10:04 pm

I am actually supporting your post, pipo.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 8, 2021, 10:07 pm

jackspratt wrote:
June 8, 2021, 10:04 pm
I am actually supporting your post, pipo.
Thanks and OK Jack, no insult intended, hence the :wave:

But seriously The Guardian doesn't come up on my phone.

I am in the land where they block anything short of the Covid 19 virus, if they wish :-$

pipoz4444

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 9, 2021, 7:21 am

ON THIS DAY – 9th June

1803 – HMS Investigator arrived in Port Jackson after circumnavigating Australia. On the voyage Matthew Flinders charted the coast and Robert Brown made an extensive collection of the flora of Australia.

1851 – Victorian Governor La Trobe offered a reward of 200 pounds to anyone finding gold within 200 miles of Melbourne.

1925 – Ten people were killed in a derailment near Traveston railway station, Queensland.

1945 – WWII - Australian troops landed in Brunei Bay, North Borneo.

1979 – A fire at Luna Park Sydney killed seven people. Four young boys, a father and his two young sons died when the fire engulfed the ride.

Pictured:
Portrait of Charles Joseph La Trobe, standing in uniform. Sir Francis Grant, 1855 (SLV) –Right
Australian troops from the 24th Brigade landing on Labuan on 10 June 1945 (Wiki) – Left Top
Luna Park (Twisted History) – Left Bottom

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 10, 2021, 7:41 am

ON THIS DAY – 10th June

1770 – Captain James Cook's ship HM Bark Endeavour struck a reef within the Great Barrier Reef.

1835 – Australia's first political party, the Australian Patriotic Party, was founded.

1837 – The first whale was caught in Western Australia.

1908 – The Australian Parliament passed the Invalid and Old Age Pensions Act providing for pensions for British subjects at age 65.

1916 – A large majority approved a referendum in New South Wales deciding hotels should close at six o'clock for the duration of the war and six months thereafter; early closing came into force in NSW from 21 July lasting until 1955.

1920 – Perth had its highest daily rainfall until 1992 with 99.1 millimetres from a vigorous cold front.

1933 – The Australian Women's Weekly magazine was launched by Robert Clyde Packer and his son Frank.

1960 – A TAA Fokker Friendship, Abel Tasman, crashed into the sea on night approach to land at Mackay, Queensland, killing 29 persons. To date (2020), this remains the worst loss of life in a peacetime air crash in Australia.

1968 – Australia wins the 1968 Rugby League World Cup when it defeated France (20–2) in the final at the SCG.

Pictured:
The Endeavour (Twisted History) – Top Left
Front Page Australian Women’s Weekly 10 June 1933 (Internet Archives) – Top Right
Trans-Australia Airlines Flight 538 ‘Abel Tasman’ VH-TFB acceptance ceremony in 1959 (Wiki) – Bottom

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 11, 2021, 2:32 pm

ON THIS DAY – 11th June

1863 – Sydney saw the first public demonstration of electric lighting, to honour the marriage of the Prince of Wales.

1892 – The Limelight Department, one of the world's first film studios, was officially established in Melbourne, Australia.

1932 – Food relief reached its peak in New South Wales with 413,171 food orders processed in the preceding four weeks.

1937 – Robin Warren, Nobel Prize winner, was born. John Robin Warren AC (born 11 June 1937, in Adelaide) is an Australian pathologist, Nobel Laureate and researcher who is credited with the 1979 re-discovery of the bacterium Helicobacter pylori, together with Barry Marshall. The duo proved to the medical community that the bacterium Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is the cause of most peptic ulcers. He was referred to as brilliant and glorious by his colleagues.

1964 – The Beatles began their three week tour of Australia; in Adelaide 300,000 fans turned out to see the band drive in a motorcade from the airport into the city.

1971 – Neville Bonner was sworn into the Australian Senate – he is the first Aboriginal federal parliamentarian.

1976 – Australian band AC/DC began their 1st headline tour of Britain.

1985 – New South Wales won their first Rugby League State of Origin series.

1988 – In the 100th rugby league test between the two nations, Australia defeated Great Britain 17-6.

Pictured:
The original key players in the Limelight Department story (The Salvation Army’s Heritage Centre) - Top
J. Robin Warren at RPH, 1986 (Nobel Prize) – Middle Right
The Beatles (Cobb & Co. Museum) – Middle Left
AC/DC leaving Australia for the first time - Sydney Airport, April 1976 (Pinterest) – Bottom

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 12, 2021, 10:30 am

ON THIS DAY – 12th June

1789 – Arthur Phillip led an expedition to Broken Bay (departed from Sydney on the 6th), and came upon the Hawkesbury River.

1872 – A Victorian branch of the Royal Australian Mint opened in Melbourne.

1883 – The first Australasian headquarters of the Salvation Army opened in Melbourne.

1886 – William Spence chaired a meeting of shearers in Ballarat, Victoria at which the Australian Shearers Union is formed, an ancestor of the Australian Workers' Union.

1902 – The Commonwealth Franchise Act granted most Australian women the right to vote and stand in federal elections.

1931 – The territories of North Australia and Central Australia were reunited as the Northern Territory. During the 1920s, George Pearce, Federal Minister for Home and Territories, campaigned for the separation of the Northern Territory into two smaller territories, on the grounds that it was too large to be properly governed. In 1926, the 'Northern Australia Act' separated the Northern Territory into North Australia and Central Australia, with the division at the 20th parallel of South latitude. Darwin was to be capital of North Australia and Alice Springs capital of Central Australia. Although separation took effect in February 1927, within four years the Act was repealed. On 12 June 1931, North Australia and Central Australia were reunited as the Northern Territory.

1956 – A free mass vaccination program with Salk polio vaccine commenced.

1996 – Two Blackhawk Helicopters collided near Townsville, killing 18 people.

Pictured:
Royal Melbourne Mint in the 1870s (Urban) – Bottom Right
William Spence, Australian politician, T. Humphrey & Co. (NLA) – Bottom Left
The Salvation Army Officers Training Home in Punt Rd, Richmond, Melbourne, in the late 1880s. (Salvation Army) – Top

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 13, 2021, 10:24 am

ON THIS DAY – 13th June

1816 – Sydney’s Royal Botanic Gardens were founded. The Royal epithet for the Botanical Gardens was granted in 1959.

1923 – Vegemite is introduced in Australia.

1927 – Country music singer Slim Dusty was born. Slim Dusty, AO MBE (born David Gordon Kirkpatrick; 13 June 1927 – 19 September 2003) was an Australian country music singer-songwriter, guitarist and producer. He was an Australian cultural icon and one of the country's most awarded stars, with a career spanning nearly seven decades and producing numerous recordings. He was known to record songs in the legacy of Australia, particularly of bush life and renowned Australian bush poets Henry Lawson and Banjo Paterson that represented the lifestyle. The music genre was coined the "bush ballad", a style first made popular by Buddy Williams, the first artist to perform the genre in Australia, and also for his many trucking songs. Dusty was the first Australian to have a No. 1 international hit song, with a version of Gordon Parsons' "A Pub with No Beer". He received an unequalled 45 Golden Guitar and an Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) award. He was inducted into the ARIA Hall of Fame and Australian Roll of Renown. At the time of his death, at the age of 76, Dusty had been working on his 106th album for EMI Records. In 2007, his domestic record sales in Australia surpassed seven million. During his lifetime, Dusty was considered an Australian National Treasure. He performed "Waltzing Matilda", a very famous song in Australia, at the closing ceremony of the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games.

1933 – The Australian Antarctic Territory was established.

Pictured:
Government House, Botanical Gardens, Sydney, c.1845, artist unknown (Mitchell Library, SLNSW) – Top
The original Vegemite was sold in a two ounce (57g) amber glass jar, capped with what was known as a Phoenix seal, to keep the contents fresh. It was labelled ‘Pure Vegetable Extract’ (Vegemite) – Bottom Right
Slim Dusty at the Golden Guitar awards in Tamworth 1988 (Wiki) – Bottom Left

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”