A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Barney
udonmap.com

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Post by Barney » September 15, 2021, 7:36 am

ON THIS DAY – 15th September

1793 – Captain William Paterson led a party of Scotsmen in the first attempt to cross the Blue Mountains. He was unsuccessful.

1796 – Macarthur complained to Colonial Secretary of Hunter's governing.

1870 – Construction began on Australia's Overland Telegraph Line, stretching across the continent from Adelaide to Darwin.

1895 – Celebrated American writer and humourist, Mark Twain, arrived in Australia on tour.

1939 – WWII - Robert Menzies announced a new War Cabinet.

1957 – Hobart had its wettest day on record with 156.2 millimetres as a result of a slow-moving low-pressure system redeveloping over the Tasman Sea.

1962 – Australia's first entry in America's Cup yacht race. (US won)

2000 – The 27th Olympic Games opened in Sydney, Australia.

Pictured:
The opening of the finished Overland Telegraph Line in Darwin in 1870 (SLSA) – Top
Mark Twain on Board the SS Warrimoo bound for Sydney [Faulk, Sydney] (ABC) – Bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 16, 2021, 2:44 am

Currently no sunlight on Christian Porter's big donor or donors.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 16, 2021, 7:01 am

ON THIS DAY – 16th September

1770 – Lieutenant James Cook became the first European to note the appearance of the Aurora Australis.

1804 – A government-owned brewery was opened at Parramatta as a means of controlling the consumption of spirits.

1910 – The Australian Treasury was given authority to issue currency, replacing the use of the British Pound.

1956 – Australia's first TV station TCN-9 began regular transmission in Sydney.

1967 – The first live telecast of a football grand final in Australia was the screening of the 1967 NSWRFL season's grand final between Canterbury-Bankstown and South Sydney at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

1967 – The U.S. Naval Communication Station North West Cape near Exmouth, Western Australia was declared operational.

Pictured:
Aurora Australis (NOAA, Business Insider Australia) – Top
“First In Australia” (TCNChannel9) – Bottom
Mount Mulligan mine disaster aftermath. The cable drums, blown 50 feet (15 m) from their foundations (Wiki) – Middle

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 16, 2021, 10:18 am

I hope the names of Porter's major donors leak. Risky donations.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 16, 2021, 2:25 pm

That Fella Down Under. :lol:

Sleepy Joe can't even recall Scotty from Marketing's name. Never mind, I suppose it's a pleasant change from seeing POTUS kissing Putin or Jong-un's arse.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 16, 2021, 3:47 pm

GT93 wrote:
September 16, 2021, 10:18 am
I hope the names of Porter's major donors leak. Risky donations.
Porter quit his certain path to the Premier's position in WA, to seek the big chair federally - but he is now political road kill.

My prediction is that he will resign, and not seek re-election, thereby avoiding the need to name his "blind" donors. However, they will likely be leaked in due course in any event.

He will be lining up corporate positions already - hopefully (for him) he has kept his lawyers ticket paid and up to date. Perhaps Scotty from Marketing will hand him a QC gong on the way out, as he is unlikely to get one from McGowan.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 17, 2021, 9:51 am

ON THIS DAY – 17th September

1853 – The first paddle steamer to navigate the Murray River, the 'Lady Augusta', reached Swan Hill on its maiden voyage from Goolwa.

1877 – The Port Arthur penal colony was closed.

1879 – The Sydney International Exhibition opened at the Garden Palace.

1892 – Coolgardie, WA, gold rush began.

1900 – Commonwealth of Australia was proclaimed.

1902 – Opera singer Nellie Melba arrived in Brisbane for her first Australian tour after 16 years in Europe.

1914 – WWI - The acting governor of German New Guinea surrendered.

1977 – St. George and minor premiers Parramatta played a 9–9 draw after 100 minutes in the NSWRL Grand Final. It was the first Grand Final to be tied after 100 minutes including extra time.

1989 – Six people died in the Downunder Hostel fire in Sydney's Kings Cross.

1997 – The Melbourne Storm rugby league team was founded.

Pictured:
Garden Palace 1879 (Powerhouse Museum) – Top
An Afghan guard of honour at Coolgardie, welcoming the Governor Sir Gerald Smith at the opening of the railway, 2 March 1896 (Museum Western Australia) – Bottom Left
Australian opera singer Nellie Melba (NLA) – Bottom Right

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 17, 2021, 11:21 am

I'll be really peeved if Porter ends up on a sandgroper AFL board of directors. I hope they won't go within cooee of him.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » September 17, 2021, 6:06 pm

Barney, I dont know if you have seen the news from Oz, the Morrison Govt. has secured an agreement with the USA & UK to build nuclear subs in Aust. Great news for the Aust. ship building industry with plenty of local jobs. The French sub contract has been torn up and compo will be paid to them.

Barney
udonmap.com

A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Post by Barney » September 18, 2021, 4:47 am

Sport wrote:Barney, I dont know if you have seen the news from Oz, the Morrison Govt. has secured an agreement with the USA & UK to build nuclear subs in Aust. Great news for the Aust. ship building industry with plenty of local jobs. The French sub contract has been torn up and compo will be paid to them.
Yes mate I did see the great news.
The crow eaters will be over the moon with this project.
The young ones will have a chance at long time employment prospects.
Nuclear was always a better option than diesel motors.
Of course the usual candidates from the left are finding ways to spin a negative story from a positive.
Well done to the Morrison govt.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » September 18, 2021, 11:38 am

Sport wrote:
September 17, 2021, 6:06 pm
Barney, I dont know if you have seen the news from Oz, the Morrison Govt. has secured an agreement with the USA & UK to build nuclear subs in Aust. Great news for the Aust. ship building industry with plenty of local jobs. The French sub contract has been torn up and compo will be paid to them.
Yes Sport, finally a smarter decision. When a Deal goes sour, walk away from it.

From the link below, it would suggest that, the decision to purchase the “Shortfin Barracuda” submarines from the French Company DCNS (Naval Group), was going south, from early days. First rising in costs, from AUS 50 Billion to AUD 89 Billion. Then with delays in delivery dates, from a planned entering service by the "early 2030s" to what was a “maybe the first ship might will be operational in 2035”. With the last submarine being delivered in 2050. [-X

That’s what, waiting another 14 years for the first one and 29 more years for the last one? :confused: :-k I think the French Agreement was for 12 submarines. Plus there was the apparent disagreement over how much of the work would actually be done in Australia.

I dare say that the Americans, will have a loaner scheme, “Rent a Submarine”, if Australia needs one, two or three, before Year 2035.

https://www.theweek.in/news/world/2021/ ... uukus.html

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 18, 2021, 3:20 pm

ON THIS DAY – 18th September

1797 – Coal is officially discovered in New South Wales, Australia, providing the foundation for the establishment of Newcastle.

1918 – WWI - Forces led by John Monash attacked the Hindenburg Line in the Battle of the Hindenburg Line capturing 4,300 German troops.

1963 – USSR ordered 58.5 million barrels of cereal from Australia.

1971 – South Sydney defeated St. George 16–10 in the NSWRL Grand Final at the Sydney Cricket Ground; giving them four winning premierships in five years and their 20th overall. It would become their final premiership win until 2014.

1999 – In one of the classic matches of Australian rules football, Carlton (16.8.104) defeated Essendon (14.19.103) in the preliminary final.

Pictured:
The Coal River or Port of Newcastle New South Wales ... / watercolour drawing possibly by John William Lewin from an earlier sketch in c. 1801 (Mitchell Library, SLNSW) – Top
Lieutenant-General Sir John Monash, by James Peter Quinn 1918 (AWM) – Bottom Right
Breaking the Hindenburg Line, by Will Longstaff (AWM) – Bottom Left

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 19, 2021, 3:07 am

There's now a huge ruckus about these submarines. What a friggin' mess. I'd have had some sympathy for the French if the submarines were going to be delivered more promptly.

It's a shame Australia can't just buy the submarines from the Chinese. ;) They can get things done very quickly.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 19, 2021, 7:06 am

ON THIS DAY – 19th September

1912 – An amended version of the coat of arms of Australia was granted Royal Assent by George V. The Golden Wattle was declared Australia's floral emblem.

1919 – The Great Ocean Road project in Victoria was officially launched.

1921 – The Mount Mulligan mine disaster killed 76 miners.

1954 – Australian author Miles Franklin died.

2003 – Australian singer Slim Dusty died.

2003 – Construction of Alice Springs to Darwin rail link was completed

Pictured:
Returned soldiers working on the Great Ocean Road, date unknown (QP and Eye) – Top
Portrait of Miles Franklin (Wiki) – Bottom Left
Slim Dusty at the Golden Guitar awards in Tamworth (Wiki) – Bottom Right

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 20, 2021, 8:41 am

ON THIS DAY – 20th September

1824 – James Bremer arrived in Port Essington, in the Northern Territory, but rejected the recommended site as a settlement due to its lack of fresh water.

1830 – The Port Arthur penal settlement was established.

1880 – Australian pioneer in physical therapy for polio sufferers, Sister Elizabeth Kenny, was born.

1969 – Balmain defeated South Sydney 11–2 in the NSWRL Rugby League Grand Final at the Sydney Cricket Ground. It is Balmain's first premiership win since 1947, and would become their final win as the Balmain Tigers; they would later win in 2005 after their merger with the Western Suburbs Magpies to form the Wests Tigers.

1975 – Thirteen miners were killed in an underground coal mine explosion at the Kianga Mine at Moura, Queensland.

1985 – Capital gains tax was introduced. The rules allowed the cost of assets held for 1 year or more to be indexed by the consumer price index (CPI) before calculating a gain.

1990 – ‘The Big Steal’ was released. Directed by Nadia Tass, the film went on to be nominated for nine AFI awards, of which it will win three.

1997 – The Brisbane Broncos defeated the Cronulla Sharks 26–8 at ANZ Stadium (now Elizabeth II stadium) to become premiers of the Super League (Australia) season 1997. It was the first night grand final played in rugby league.

Pictured:
Sir James Bremer (Military Wiki) – Top Left
Port Arthur guards, 1866 [ALMFA, SLT] (UTAS) – Bottom
Nurse Elizabeth Kenny photographed in 1915. (John Oxley Library SLQ) – Top Right

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 20, 2021, 11:26 am

A now infamous 19th century Ivan Millat or Martin Bryant like figure.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 20, 2021, 1:52 pm

Love it. That silly sausage Barnaby is back as Acting Prime Minister:

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 21, 2021, 1:56 am

And he's still talking bollocks. I watched him rabbit on about Porter.

Can any backbencher in the Aussie federal parliament raise $100,000s through a blind trust and remain a MP? I hope not.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 21, 2021, 5:00 am

ON THIS DAY – 21st September

1817 – In an official dispatch, Governor Lachlan Macquarie advocated for the adoption of the name Australia for the continent, as suggested by Matthew Flinders.

1872 – Peter Egerton Warburton departed Adelaide on his journey to explore central Australia from Alice Springs to Perth.

1922 – A total solar eclipse occurred over Australia, allowing scientists to test Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity.

1973 – The Jackson Pollock painting Blue Poles was controversially purchased by the Whitlam government for A$1.3 million.

1981 – Seven people were killed when a Cessna 206 aeroplane crashed at Charleville.

Pictured:
Lachlan Macquarie. portrait, ca.1805-1824 attributed to John Opie (SNSW) – Top Left
Members of the Warburton Expedition: 1872-74. From left to right. Richard Egerton Warburton (the leader's son), Peter Egerton Warburton (leader), and J. W. Lewis (SLSA) – Top Right
Portrait of Jackson Pollock aged about 16 (Wiki) – Bottom Left

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 22, 2021, 8:00 am

ON THIS DAY – 22nd September

1831 – The first drawing of a numbat was made, following the first recorded sighting.

1885 – Ben Chifley, 16th Prime Minister of Australia from 1945-1949, was born.

1918 –Prime Minister Billy Hughes made the first direct radio telephone call between England and Australia, calling Sydney from London.

1966 – Ansett-ANA Flight 149 crashed near Winton, Queensland, killing all 24 people on board.

1991 – Minor premiers Penrith Panthers defeated Canberra Raiders 19–12 to win the 84th NSWRL premiership. It is the first premiership for Penrith, who had been trying since 1967 to win one. Raiders lock Bradley Clyde was awarded the Clive Churchill medal for man of the match, becoming the only player to win the award twice until 2017.

1996 – Australia's first legal euthanasia took place in Darwin, Australia when 66-year-old Bob Dent elects to submit to the lethal injection.

1997 – Brisbane pop group Savage Garden won a record 10 ARIA awards.

Pictured:
John Gould print image of the Numbat (Myrmecobius fasciatus) Photo from "Mammals of Australia", Vol. I Plate 4 Part of the 3 Volumes by John Gould, F.R.S. Published by the author, 26 Charlotte Street, Bedford Square, London, 1863. – Top
Portrait of Ben Chifley ca 193-?, photographer E. A. Cox (NLA) – Bottom Left
Prime Minister William Morris (Billy) Hughes (AWM) – Bottom Right

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”