Travel Refund

User avatar
mak
udonmap.com
Posts: 1467
Joined: July 13, 2008, 11:50 am
Location: Udon Thani

Travel Refund

Post by mak » May 6, 2020, 1:23 pm

I cancelled two trips due to this pandemic. I had various results in getting refunds.
Lion Air said they would give a full refund but it would take 3 months.
Thai Smile said they would give me a voucher good for 1 year.
EVA Air gave an 85% refund.
American Airlines will issue a voucher good through 2021 for the amount spent. Fare increases are not included.
VRBO gave a 100% refund.



jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 12091
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: Travel Refund

Post by jackspratt » May 6, 2020, 1:35 pm

Similar here, mak.

Waiting for the voucher(s) from Thai Smile, and Singapore Air already issued.

Only concern is that both bookings were for 2 pax (me and the Mrs), and she may not be able to travel as soon as me, due to possible inward restrictions in Oz.

Will the airlines allow me to combine the value of the 2 fares into 1 if there is a fare rise, and if not would they allow the booking to be split, so that Mrs Spratt can use her credits at a later date?

Questions for the future I guess.

the-monk
udonmap.com
Posts: 796
Joined: August 20, 2012, 4:56 am

Re: Travel Refund

Post by the-monk » May 6, 2020, 1:43 pm

<< Will the airlines allow me to combine the value of the 2 fares into 1 if there is a fare rise, and if not would they allow the booking to be split, so that Mrs Spratt can use her credits at a later date? >> I am in a similar situation.
Nok promised me a voucher but i can t find it. China Airlines (Bkk-Tpe-Tokyo) i talked to them on the phone, i emailed the requested docs, And i got a FULL refund on my credit card within 3 days. China Airlines had cancelled my flights.
Good luck to all. Stay safe

choi choi
udonmap.com
Posts: 562
Joined: March 5, 2018, 10:35 pm

Re: Travel Refund

Post by choi choi » May 6, 2020, 2:10 pm

My flight with Thai smile was cancelled. I booked through "Airpaz' agency.
I try to cancel the flight with them but they make it so difficult to process !
Just end you around in circle.I think dont want pay up!

samster
udonmap.com
Posts: 512
Joined: June 3, 2014, 2:16 pm

Re: Travel Refund

Post by samster » May 6, 2020, 3:20 pm

Got my Thai smile vouchers earlier this week

jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 12091
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: Travel Refund

Post by jackspratt » May 7, 2020, 1:00 pm

jackspratt wrote:
May 6, 2020, 1:35 pm
Similar here, mak.

Waiting for the voucher(s) from Thai Smile, and Singapore Air already issued.

Only concern is that both bookings were for 2 pax (me and the Mrs), and she may not be able to travel as soon as me, due to possible inward restrictions in Oz.

Will the airlines allow me to combine the value of the 2 fares into 1 if there is a fare rise, and if not would they allow the booking to be split, so that Mrs Spratt can use her credits at a later date?

Questions for the future I guess.
EMDs (vouchers) received today from Thai Smile, and 1 question answered at least:
Terms of use Electronic Miscellaneous Document (EMD)

1. EMD is valid for 365 days. The expiry date cannot be extended.
2. EMD is not allowed to change passenger's name
3. EMD can be redeemed only once. Any balance remaining after using EMD cannot be exchanged for cash.
4. If there are any difference fare of the ticket, pay by debit card or credit card only.
5. EMD must be used via Smile Contact Center (Tel. +662 118 8888) only.
6. EMD must be used for making a ticket reservation at least 4 hrs. before flight departure

jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 12091
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: Travel Refund

Post by jackspratt » May 12, 2020, 11:54 am

5 days after sending EMDs (see above), Thai Smile has now sent me email(s) today advising:
Dear Valued Travel Agent,
Booking Number: XXXXXXX
Ticket Number: 12345678910
Please be informed that your requisition has been approved.

If you paid the booking with your credit card/debit card, the payment is refunded to that card.
If you paid the booking with cash, the payment is refunded to the bank account that you provided when you submitted this refund.

It should take about 45 days to process your refund depend on your bank policy. We would appreciate your kind patience during awaiting the refund in due course.

Best regards,

Customer Relations
THAI Smile
However, the booking was done online with TS, and I didn't request a refund. :-k

User avatar
mak
udonmap.com
Posts: 1467
Joined: July 13, 2008, 11:50 am
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Travel Refund

Post by mak » May 12, 2020, 6:19 pm

Same here. I received an email from Thai Smile last week saying they would give me a voucher that expires May 11 2021.
Today I received an email saying they would give me a refund. Looks like a change of heart.
Still waiting for my Lion Air refund.

User avatar
747man
udonmap.com
Posts: 11366
Joined: March 25, 2007, 2:22 pm

Re: Travel Refund

Post by 747man » May 12, 2020, 9:25 pm

mak wrote:
May 12, 2020, 6:19 pm
Same here. I received an email from Thai Smile last week saying they would give me a voucher that expires May 11 2021.
Today I received an email saying they would give me a refund. Looks like a change of heart.
Still waiting for my Lion Air refund.
mak....I Wouldn't HOLD Yer breath waiting for Lion Air, IMO The WORST Customer Service ever !!

dunroaming
udonmap.com
Posts: 1486
Joined: July 14, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: Travel Refund

Post by dunroaming » May 12, 2020, 9:47 pm

So far I have received vouchers from air Asia, klm, Emirates and BA seems like all want to keep my money nearly £2000 but okay when the sky's open we can have a holiday or two. I understand the reasoning behind the voucher scheme and support it fully as it will hopefully stave off some airlines from bankruptcy

timmy
udonmap.com
Posts: 658
Joined: June 27, 2014, 11:03 am

Re: Travel Refund

Post by timmy » May 13, 2020, 6:52 am

I received an email from " Expedia " last night saying that my money for my flights with " Finnair " will go back into my bank account within 6 days , they also said they will now look into getting me my other money for choosing my seat on the flight only ( 2250 baht ) but better its with me than the airline company .

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 6087
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: Travel Refund

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 13, 2020, 7:33 am

timmy wrote:
May 13, 2020, 6:52 am
I received an email from " Expedia " last night saying that my money for my flights with " Finnair " will go back into my bank account within 6 days , they also said they will now look into getting me my other money for choosing my seat on the flight only ( 2250 baht ) but better its with me than the airline company .
FINNAIR interesting choice timmy .. have you used them before or was this the first time booking with them ? if yes how much was the flight and was it a good service .. via Helsinki i presume ? .. just for for future reference thanks

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

timmy
udonmap.com
Posts: 658
Joined: June 27, 2014, 11:03 am

Re: Travel Refund

Post by timmy » May 13, 2020, 8:10 am

no prob Jon , NO never used Finnair before I only wanted a 1 way ticket as I was,nt sure of my return date , I looked at all the " middle eastern " flights all wanted over 20k 1 way , so looked on Expedia for flights with only 1 stop and found Finnair and booked it " 11575 baht " BBK to Manchester and I liked the flight times you leave BBK at 9am as you say via Helsinki only " 50 minutes " there then get to M/chester at 5pm .. same day ( sorry forgot paid the 2250 baht for seat with much more legroom as flight almost 11 hours ) I did find out latter that Finnair have a NO alcohol policy on there flights , that was not a problem as I had a " lounge pass " for BBK airport could tank up before we set off .. hope that helps ..
had another email this morning from Expedia , my " booked seat " money will go into the bank at same time ..

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 6087
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: Travel Refund

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 13, 2020, 9:12 am

timmy wrote:
May 13, 2020, 8:10 am
no prob Jon , NO never used Finnair before I only wanted a 1 way ticket as I was,nt sure of my return date , I looked at all the " middle eastern " flights all wanted over 20k 1 way , so looked on Expedia for flights with only 1 stop and found Finnair and booked it " 11575 baht " BBK to Manchester and I liked the flight times you leave BBK at 9am as you say via Helsinki only " 50 minutes " there then get to M/chester at 5pm .. same day ( sorry forgot paid the 2250 baht for seat with much more legroom as flight almost 11 hours ) I did find out latter that Finnair have a NO alcohol policy on there flights , that was not a problem as I had a " lounge pass " for BBK airport could tank up before we set off .. hope that helps ..
had another email this morning from Expedia , my " booked seat " money will go into the bank at same time ..
Thanks for the info timmy much appreciated .. sounds like an excellent deal , be interested to find out how much the return Finnar ticket Bkk Helsinki Manc costs . No booze not an issue for me just makes me wanna piss all the time , i prefer to sleep rather than drink when flying .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

User avatar
mak
udonmap.com
Posts: 1467
Joined: July 13, 2008, 11:50 am
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Travel Refund

Post by mak » May 15, 2020, 10:11 am

Looks like American Airlines also had a change of heart. After previously saying they would only give vouchers, no refunds, good for one year from date of submittal of request, which was May 11, 2021 in my case, they sent an email for refund submittal. So now my refund request is subject for approval, waiting for the outcome.
The US news had reported earlier that the FAA had received over 30,000 complaints about US airlines refusing to give refunds but willing to give vouchers.

jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 12091
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: Travel Refund

Post by jackspratt » May 20, 2020, 2:27 pm

Buggered if I know what's going on now.

8 days after Thai Smile advised they were issuing refunds (see above), today they have sent further emails advising of changes (3 x sweeteners) to the EMD(s), as below:
Dear Valued Passenger,

For your smile - your credit account will last for 2 years For passengers who received EMD from flight cancellation or flight reschedule due to COVID-19 pandemic, THAI Smile would like to offer additional benefits as listed below;

Booking Reference : XXXXXXX
Passenger's Name : jackspratt
EMD Ticket : 123456789
Value : THB 1130.00 Per Ticket
Expiry Date : 7 May 2022

Terms of use Electronic Miscellaneous Document (EMD)

1. Automatically extend your original expiry date of EMD from 365 days to 730 days.
2. EMD is eligible to change the name of passenger without additional charge.
3. 10% discount for the fare difference in case if the new ticket price is higher than the EMD value.

For more information, please contact us via email: contactcenter@thaismileair.com or +662 118 8888 (24 Hrs.)

Thank you for choosing to fly with us, and we wish you a pleasant journey!

Yours sincerely,
THAI Smile Airways
:-k

With a bit of luck I'll end up with both the refunds and the EMDs. \:D/

choi choi
udonmap.com
Posts: 562
Joined: March 5, 2018, 10:35 pm

Re: Travel Refund

Post by choi choi » May 20, 2020, 3:31 pm

I am also waiting for refund/EMD Thai Smile.. But through airpaz agency.
Now coming up for a month ... no response.
After emailing them I finally got a reply.
Apparently takes up to 45 days to process!

User avatar
maaka
udonmap.com
Posts: 3095
Joined: October 9, 2007, 6:03 am

Re: Travel Refund

Post by maaka » May 20, 2020, 3:55 pm

not sure I will get a refund from Thai Airways with all these changes they are making..

User avatar
Brian Davis
udonmap.com
Posts: 2245
Joined: January 26, 2008, 8:14 pm
Location: Phen (Udon Thani Province)

Re: Travel Refund

Post by Brian Davis » May 21, 2020, 5:37 am

The BBC recently had an article in which the Civil Aviation Authority (UK) stated passengers who had flights cancelled because of the virus, were entitled to a refund - within 7 days!
I did write to the Thai equivalent to check their official policy - unsurprisingly, no reply yet.
So, for obvious reasons, airlines here are resisting mentioning refunds and offering alternative flights or credit 'shells'. I've secured credit from Vietjet(Thai) and Air Asia(final confirmation awaited) which give me at least a year to use and option to change passenger names and routes, so I have to be reasonably happy with that.

User avatar
saint
udonmap.com
Posts: 3415
Joined: February 28, 2008, 5:31 pm
Location: the truth is out there . but dont dare tell it !!!!

Re: Travel Refund

Post by saint » May 21, 2020, 7:44 am

choi choi wrote:
May 20, 2020, 3:31 pm
I am also waiting for refund/EMD Thai Smile.. But through airpaz agency.
Now coming up for a month ... no response.
After emailing them I finally got a reply.
Apparently takes up to 45 days to process!
I used Airpaz last year on Udon BKK with Lion air . They brought my flight forward 6 hours , i said im not happy and wanted to cancel , not a problem . However it did take about 2 months to get my account credited for the full amount of 2 tickets , but i did eventually get it . Bear in mind the virus cluster fook with airlines , and i could be even longer .

Post Reply

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”