Breakthrough?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Breakthrough?

Post by Whistler » November 9, 2020, 8:07 pm

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

AlexO
udonmap.com

Re: Breakthrough?

Post by AlexO » November 9, 2020, 11:02 pm

They now expect to produce up to 50 million doses or enough vaccine to protect 25 million people this year.

Pfizer said it expects to produce up to 1.3 billion doses of the vaccine in 2021.

Its good news but just look at the figures, 2 doses needed per person so by the end of 2021 around '10%' of the planets population will have been vaccinated. Long way to go yet and that is if the bloody virus does not mutate.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 10, 2020, 7:24 am

We forget they are not the only ones producing a vaccine and we wait with bated breath as to not only cost ( especially over here ) but also who will be the first recipients. Hopefully it will be health workers then emergency service personnel with Politicians last in the queue,

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » November 10, 2020, 7:33 am

Khun Paul wrote:
November 10, 2020, 7:24 am
We forget they are not the only ones producing a vaccine and we wait with bated breath as to not only cost ( especially over here ) but also who will be the first recipients. Hopefully it will be health workers then emergency service personnel with Politicians last in the queue,
When it is readily available I am sure the vaccine will be given to the Thais for free, by the government. Foreigners may have to pay a small premium.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » November 10, 2020, 7:48 am

AlexO wrote:
November 9, 2020, 11:02 pm
They now expect to produce up to 50 million doses or enough vaccine to protect 25 million people this year.

Pfizer said it expects to produce up to 1.3 billion doses of the vaccine in 2021.

Its good news but just look at the figures, 2 doses needed per person so by the end of 2021 around '10%' of the planets population will have been vaccinated. Long way to go yet and that is if the bloody virus does not mutate.
Your right Alex , 10% of the worlds population isn't much, also not enough info yet ,does it protect the old by 90. % ? Or does it protect the young by 90% ? . plus we don't know if its an annual virus yet that you need yearly vaccination for ?. Still too many questions and not enough answers . ? But its a start which is good news
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 10, 2020, 8:20 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
November 10, 2020, 7:33 am
Khun Paul wrote:
November 10, 2020, 7:24 am
When it is readily available I am sure the vaccine will be given to the Thais for free, by the government. Foreigners may have to pay a small premium.

Last time there was a major vaccine prog in Thailand (10 or 12 years ago?) I remember getting mine done for free with proof of residence (yellow book)

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 10, 2020, 8:53 am

The Latest, this looks like the real deal

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/heal ... e=Homepage
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » November 10, 2020, 10:00 am

Yeah, right :roll:

Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 10, 2020, 10:10 am

The thing about Pfizer is that they took no government money for funding to find a vaccine, self funded. Even though Mike Pence tried to take credit, he was shot down immediately by them.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 10, 2020, 12:10 pm

Breakthrough, well one could consider that, although listening to the medical expertise on BBC News, the Vaccine must be kept at cooler temperatures than most other vaccines , there are two doses, 14 days apart and also you must rest for 15 mins after both of them .This is referring to the Pfizer Vaccine at the moment .
Now in a reasonably sophisticated Family Doctor system in the UK that is not really a problem apart from the Temperature thing ( My nephew has just inslalled a freezer type cabinet ( Not freezing but considerably cooler than a normal fridge) in his surgery to accommodate this VACCINE ).
Here however it will be interesting to see what they say and in any event the full results and outcomes are not yet fully known. Personally I would rather wait at least 12-24 months before embarking on a Vaccination regime unless personal circumstances made it imperative to move that date forward. .

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 10, 2020, 1:22 pm

KP,

I don't think it will be an issue for Farangs in Thailand. We are going to be on the end of a long line of recipients by the time the vaccine is available here. Procedures will be well in place by then.

This has the potential of opening up things. Travelers who get the vaccine should presumably be allowed to travel without the need for quarantine. Hot spots can benefit from mass vaccinations, to eradicate spread. Intelligent roll outs have the potential of changing the game.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » November 10, 2020, 4:53 pm

But independent scientists, including leading vaccine developer Dr Stanley Plotkin, have cautioned against banking on the results too soon, noting that the data are incomplete and that many questions still remain.

At this stage, no long-term safety and efficacy data has been collected, and it will take months — if not years — to understand how long immunity (generated by the vaccine) lasts.

"That there is early efficacy of 90 per cent is great, but ... we don't know whether the vaccine protects against infection, so that individuals who are vaccinated won't be able to excrete the virus and infect other people," Dr Plotkin, emeritus professor of paediatrics at the University of Pennsylvania, told RN Breakfast.

"We don't know whether it protects the elderly as well as the young.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020 ... s/12866750

As Papa said it is a start which is the good news

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » November 10, 2020, 5:17 pm

As Pzifer stated by end of 2021 they can have produced 1.3b doses which is 650m vaccinated
the world population is 7.8b

One year on less than 10% of the world population has been able to be vaccinated
Yes there are other vaccine being trialed
Next problem being how long is the vaccine effective for
Do you need booster shots every year
With the virus mutating is or will this vaccine be effective
I believe this time next year maybe travel with out quarantine may be possible
Time will tell

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » November 10, 2020, 7:08 pm

noosard wrote:
November 10, 2020, 5:17 pm
As Pzifer stated by end of 2021 they can have produced 1.3b doses which is 650m vaccinated
the world population is 7.8b

One year on less than 10% of the world population has been able to be vaccinated
Yes there are other vaccine being trialed
Next problem being how long is the vaccine effective for
Do you need booster shots every year
With the virus mutating is or will this vaccine be effective
I believe this time next year maybe travel with out quarantine may be possible
Time will tell
Hi and those needing to rely on Pziifer will be significantly less, in all likelihood, given that China will vaccinate its own population with its own Vaccine, as will probably India with theirs and possibly others like Brazil etc.

World Population 7,824,467,025

Less China 1,441,350,261

Less India 1,384,994 692

Balance 4,998,122, 072

Divide by 1.30Bill /650Mil persons = 7.68 Years

Once again, assuming that not all Countries, will need to use Pziifer, and that the Chinese use Sinopharm or CanSino or both, India uses Bharat Biotech and others adopt/use potential vaccines from the University of Oxford, Moderna, Novavax, Johnson & Johnson, Sinovac, at some time during during 2021, the World might just be a better place at the end of next year.

I am guessing, but if Pziifer, plus China (Sinopharm or CanSino), plus India (Bharat Biotech), plus University of Oxford and also Moderna are all in full swing next year, making their Vaccines, you could be looking at 4 plus Billion doses being available to the population, as whole, by end 2021, if 5 Producers strike gold and can ramp up. :-({|= :-({|=

As Jim said, “You don’t have to run faster than the bear …………. You just have to run faster than the guy next to you”. The point being, “Just get yourself to the front of the queue and be sure you are in that first 10 percent” \:D/ :wave: :guitar: :guitar:

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 10, 2020, 7:56 pm

pipoz if we were making something like hula hoops, we are not

Keep in mind there are many, many pharmaceuticals are made by small companies licensed to sub-manufacture. This could ramp up several hundred fold within a few weeks. if the efficacy of the vaccine is proven, there is a lot of capacity out there.

The key is the access to active ingredient

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » November 10, 2020, 9:23 pm

Yeh but the vaccine is 90% effective for what age group ? 60-100 year olds. Or 20 -60year olds ? . maybe we shouldn't get silly happy yet. Below 60 most people won't even notice they have covid. Question is does it protect 90% of the elderly ? If 90% of the older folks then its great news. If it don't we're just back to square one
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » November 10, 2020, 10:28 pm

Good point papa. So if I understood you correctly, you are saying;

Lock-up anyone between 60 - 80 year old, kill all the over 80's and let the rest of the world get back to normal.

Bit harsh but as a young pup I'll go along with it for now......

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 11, 2020, 7:16 am

According to news this morning from the Aussie health minister.
An initial 5 million phizer doses are now purchased and in place and ready by January and rolled out during March.
Well ahead of projected target dates.
Vulnerable to be hit first.
There will be those who are against the flu shot for personal reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 11, 2020, 8:20 am

Hope , the Leaders Politicians are first in line,

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 11, 2020, 9:18 am

papafarang wrote:
November 10, 2020, 9:23 pm
Yeh but the vaccine is 90% effective for what age group ? 60-100 year olds. Or 20 -60year olds ? . maybe we shouldn't get silly happy yet. Below 60 most people won't even notice they have covid. Question is does it protect 90% of the elderly ? If 90% of the older folks then its great news. If it don't we're just back to square one
The trial included over 65 year olds

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”