UK - state quarantine latest.

tamada
udonmap.com

UK - state quarantine latest.

Post by tamada » February 5, 2021, 10:44 am

For any Brits that complained about the hardships and expense of Thailand's ASQ, I hope they are going home soon. Yes, I know that Thailand probably isn't on the 'red list' but one can hope, eh?

Ministers race to book 28,000 quarantine hotel rooms by 5pm today

"Ministers are racing to reserve 28,000 hotel rooms across the UK by 5pm on Friday evening in a bid to launch the Government's "red list" quarantine scheme by the middle of this month.

Documents seen by The Telegraph reveal that ministers have asked hotel bosses to be ready to accommodate 1,425 passengers a day by February 15.

The scheme – planned to run until at least March 31 according to the memo – will see returning passengers quarantined in hotel rooms for 11 nights at a cost of up to £800 per person. ..."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/m ... r-BB1doFTr

AlexO
udonmap.com

Re: UK - state quarantine latest.

Post by AlexO » February 5, 2021, 10:58 am

The scheme – planned to run until at least March 31 according to the memo – will see returning passengers quarantined in hotel rooms for 11 nights at a cost of up to £800 per person. ..."

800 quid for a room and three meals a day for a ten day stay at a hotel close to an airport (especially Heathrow) bloody cheap at double the price. Notice the article say the Government will "attempt" to recover the costs from passengers. No chance!!!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 5, 2021, 11:27 am

From tam's link above, I read this to mean the meal cost of 80 quid /day is on top of the room cost:
Hotels will have to provide three meals a day – with a menu that is not repetitive – via room service at a cost of between £50 and £80 plus VAT.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » February 5, 2021, 11:49 am

jackspratt wrote:
February 5, 2021, 11:27 am
From tam's link above, I read this to mean the meal cost of 80 quid /day is on top of the room cost:
Hotels will have to provide three meals a day – with a menu that is not repetitive – via room service at a cost of between £50 and £80 plus VAT.
If that is the case then its a fairly heavy price on top of room costs.
Can just imagine Tam and DR working out how many rowies you can get for that. :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 5, 2021, 12:35 pm

And they won't even have to fork out for aircon as it will never get warm enough in Feb/Mar

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 5, 2021, 12:39 pm

"Documents seen by The Telegraph reveal that ministers have asked hotel bosses to be ready to accommodate 1,425 passengers a day by February 15."

but the 14000 (their figures) arriving between now and Feb 15th can just arrive and "self isolate" (if they fancy it after travelling the length and breadth of the country on public transport)

AND if you want to arrive from a "Banned" country .......no probs, just take a leaf out of Bojo's old mans playbook during the first eurolockdown ......... just go somewhere your not banned and then travel from there :-"

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: UK - state quarantine latest. Because we can't trust our fellow humans or our government

Post by tamada » February 9, 2021, 7:04 pm

UK Covid live: compulsory tests set to be announced for arrivals during quarantine
useless eustice.jpg
Useless Eustice, works with Hopeless Hancock
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... st-updates

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 10, 2021, 6:55 am

£10,000 fines and/or 10 years jail for not filing a passenger locator form, filing false information on a passenger locator form or not complying with what the information you gave on the passenger information form. The law also applies to those who fail to comply with or otherwise break the mandatory £1750, 10-day quarantine-on-arrival edict.

I believe that these new laws will inevitably need to be enforced by the police with arrests of these untested, quarantine-dodging miscreants being made by the police.

Meanwhile, the U.K. government refuses (again) to add police to the list of essential or front-line workers who qualify for expedited Covid vaccination.

YCMTSU

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 10, 2021, 12:12 pm

Typical Tory decision ......... get a longer stint the slammer for not filling out a form than you give toRapists/Peedos/wife beaters .............(looking after their own again?)

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » February 10, 2021, 4:33 pm

tamada wrote:
February 10, 2021, 6:55 am

Meanwhile, the U.K. government refuses (again) to add police to the list of essential or front-line workers who qualify for expedited Covid vaccination.

YCMTSU
Seems fair enough to me. You have to have a system.

Every profession seems to be bleating about being in the front line and demanding they be prioritised. Truth is, as a younger and healthy person, you are not likely to be seriously ill so the older, less healthy people are prioritised.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 10, 2021, 4:48 pm

samster wrote:
February 10, 2021, 4:33 pm
tamada wrote:
February 10, 2021, 6:55 am

YCMTSU
Seems fair enough to me. You have to have a system.

Every profession seems to be bleating about being in the front line and demanding they be prioritised. Truth is, as a younger and healthy person, you are not likely to be seriously ill so the older, less healthy people are prioritised.
What seems fair enough to me is for un-vaccinated cops, especially the ones that aren't young, to stay safe in their cars and vans rather than intercede with a mob of stroppy, amped-up YOUNG virus deniers at an illegal house party or an illegal rave. My understanding is that most police forces in the US are on their vaccine priority list.

How about the 400,000+ merchant seamen who haven't been able to go home for well over a year because their vessel owners and charterers prioritize the stuff they are shipping around the world to a generally ungrateful and indifferent consumer over their health and well being? I guess they're just not essential enough.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 10, 2021, 6:31 pm

Here's an article about non-essential but filthy rich just managing to get by.
Screenshot_20210210-182746.jpg
https://www.ft.com/content/5bf0678a-398f-4b3c-a374-b954c944df58
https://www.ft.com/content/5bf0678a-398 ... 54c944df58

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » February 10, 2021, 6:37 pm

We all have crosses to bear in our professions. If you dont like your job and havent considered the implications, leave.

It has always seemed intrinsically unfair to me that lardarses who spend their lives swilling alcohol, smoking fags, eating crap and not excersising get the same treatment as others in the UK.

Now, someone who is unhealthy because of their lifestyle, is getting a priority jab. Unfair, but there has to be a general system or the genuinely needy would fall through the gaps. The system is fair unless you have a personal axe to grind......ie you are selfish.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 10, 2021, 7:27 pm

I like my job. I want to do my job but I'm being prevented from doing my job while some are allowed to take a break in the Maldives. So who's being selfish here?

As for "if you dont like your job and havent considered the implications" then quit, the 400,000+ merchant seamen probably like their jobs too but simply want to go home, have some time off and then get back to work. They can't because government's and industry can't agree on who should pay the added expenses now required for regular crew change repatriation, ie. Covid related quarantines and charter flights. Even if they did quit, they still can't get home.

Regardless if he or she is a chain-smoking fat bugger, why should the U.K. police not be considered as essential, front line workers? When a public-spirited person calls them to attend an illegal, quarantine-breaking assembly or just a drunk making a nuisance, they are expected to mask up, gloves on and do the needful. Plenty reports of cops being coughed at and spat on but they shouldn't get vaccinated? Maybe your solution "if you dont like your job and havent considered the implications" they can quit as well?

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » February 10, 2021, 8:14 pm

Your view. Your circumstances. You and other merchant seamen have my sympathy. It's unfair. I had no idea you were an MS so you clearly havent played the "poor me" card unless I havent been paying attention.

Wont bore anyone with my life but, the current pandemic doesnt particularly suit me either.

The truly sick and old need to be the priority for now.

The last sentence I agree with even though you were being sarcastic. Sure, a policeman, a nurse, a teacher can quit if they havent considered the implications of their vocation.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 10, 2021, 10:01 pm

^ I am not an MS but I work onshore and offshore in the oil and gas industry. The vessels I work on have crews in the same situation although admittedly not as dire (some got home after only 10 months). So no "poor me" card from me but I do have empathy for those who are getting a raw deal... like the police.

I feel that governments do need to broaden their views beyond pubs, gyms, airlines and bloody holidays. If you are OK with police, nurses, teachers quitting because their government doesn't care about their safety, that's your call but somebody still has to do those jobs.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » February 10, 2021, 10:19 pm

I am ok with nurses, teachers, police quitting. There are others to take their place and, if they are truly so stressed by this pandemic then they shouldnt have chosen their profession.

Would a serviceman be ok saying he didnt want to go to the Falklands in 1982 because he didn't think he'd have to fire a gun in anger?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 12, 2021, 11:58 am

samster wrote:
February 10, 2021, 10:19 pm
I am ok with nurses, teachers, police quitting. There are others to take their place and, if they are truly so stressed by this pandemic then they shouldnt have chosen their profession.

Would a serviceman be ok saying he didnt want to go to the Falklands in 1982 because he didn't think he'd have to fire a gun in anger?
I am not talking about people quitting when the going gets tough. I'm talking about the government not helping the police to do their jobs when the going gets tough. So some police will quit. The police already have recruiting issues so I can't see this making it any better.

Back on topic: there's already a debate on how enforceable this 10-year sentence will be. Previous AG's and other legal types have opined that no court is likely to enforce it. Questions were also raised as to why this new law wasn't debated in Parliament first. The Tory response is that it's already in place in legacy counterfeiting and forgery laws and thus isn't a new law, only a new application of an old law.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 12, 2021, 3:38 pm

Good job "Thou shalt not bullsh*t" is not on the statute books

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”