Australian federal politics

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Australian federal politics

Post by jackspratt » October 8, 2019, 8:56 am

A view with which I completely agree:
..........In its essence, this was not a speech that should have been delivered by the leader of a self-confident middle power bent on leveraging its influence in a complex marketplace via its conspicuous advantages of geography and wealth, and indeed alliance arrangements.

This was a defensive speech of someone who seemed intent on circling the wagons in an uncertain world in which the challenge posed by China's rise represents a threat, not an opportunity.............

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-08/ ... t/11579578

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » January 29, 2022, 3:43 am

The big event looms. May 2022, I think.

I enjoyed this:

And Colbeck? He should be ashamed of himself.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 29, 2022, 11:23 am

Most likely date is May 8
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 6, 2022, 2:24 am

:lol:

I'm enjoying this as much as the French. Bullseye.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 7, 2022, 4:18 pm

It's been a public holiday in NZ today - our equivalent of Invasion Day. Time on my hands. I enjoyed this:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 7, 2022, 8:40 pm

I'm not sure Morrison will survive long enough to achieve the stratospheric, world class liar status of Trump and Johnson.

But it won't be for a lack of trying.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 8, 2022, 11:50 am

Oh Buddha, is it soon to be Prime Minister Peter Dutton? He might be even worse than Abbot. :( Hopefully the Labor bloke grabs the title for a spell between Morrison and Dutton.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 8, 2022, 12:28 pm

GT93 wrote:
February 8, 2022, 11:50 am
Oh Buddha, is it soon to be Prime Minister Peter Dutton? He might be even worse than Abbot. :( Hopefully the Labor bloke grabs the title for a spell between Morrison and Dutton.
It is almost imposible to remove Morrison due to recent changes to liberal party rules. He shows no sign of resigning out of his own free will. This far out from an election would be a bad look anyway. Frydenberg has a chance to lead the conservatives after Albo rolls the coalition May 8.

liberals in Australia suffer similar issues as many other Western nations, tearing themselves apart with hard right and moderates clashing. The hard right in OZ and the UK appear to be emboldened by the pervasive influence of their poster boy, Donald Trump and the rest of the Tea Party hardliners. Signs now that there is a big push back aginst the Donald in USA, Pence's denunciation this week was a turning point, others will follow.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 8, 2022, 1:00 pm

Not sure how much damage Dutton could do between now and the election. He would certainly be Abbott on steroids.

The positive news is that his accession to PM would lead to Bidenesque landslide to Labor come this May. =D>

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 8, 2022, 7:41 pm

jackspratt wrote:
February 8, 2022, 1:00 pm
Not sure how much damage Dutton could do between now and the election. He would certainly be Abbott on steroids.

The positive news is that his accession to PM would lead to Bidenesque landslide to Labor come this May. =D>
Did you ever note the facial similarity between Voldimor and Dutton. Twins!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 11, 2022, 10:09 am

With an election looming, as the Morrison government suffers a horror week in Parliament eg party colleagues crossing the floor, disallowance of an egregious regulation in the Senate etc, this quote from an opposition member pops up:
"The whole week has played out with the kind of horrible inevitability of a David Attenborough doco," Mr Marles said.
"Increasingly the Prime Minister is looking like the slowest wildebeest in the herd."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-11/ ... /100821902
Which is actually quite mild compared to what Morrison's own conservative colleagues have been tweeting about him. 🤣

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » February 11, 2022, 1:30 pm

Each way albo will have to work hard in the run up to the election to repair the damage to the Labor party which, once again, has become mixed up with the communists and a spy ring from China. Lot of news to come on this with who is involved.
Dutton got smashed in parliament by bringing up the Chinese then low and behold out comes the news in the SMH. He played em like the fools they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 11, 2022, 1:58 pm

Barney wrote:
February 11, 2022, 1:30 pm
Each way albo will have to work hard in the run up to the election to repair the damage to the Labor party which, once again, has become mixed up with the communists and a spy ring from China. Lot of news to come on this with who is involved.
Dutton got smashed in parliament by bringing up the Chinese then low and behold out comes the news in the SMH. He played em like the fools they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I read the article differently, it stated that the plot to infiltrate was exposed by ASIO and had failed, there was no mention of Labor elected politicians or party officials being involved. I am no fan of Sussex street, but this is not the same as the bad old days of Clements, Murnain and Dastyari with Aldi bags full of cash. Unless other facts come forward in the next few days it wont be an issue.

The only Australian politician with proven links to the CCP is liberal MP Galdys Lu.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 11, 2022, 2:13 pm

Do you reckon Gladys Liu will hit the headlines again?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladys_Liu

EDIT for Clarification - the above was posted prior to when Whistler's Mod-delayed post appeared.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » February 17, 2022, 11:09 am

I see there's an absolutely scathing article in The Guardian about Morrison and Dutton and how they are undermining Australia's national interests against China:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... n-to-power
Whatever the motives of these two individuals – this much can be said. The two men who claim to be the only reliable custodians of Australia’s national interest are currently imperilling it to win an election.

To hang on to power.

Which is apparently more important than any other consideration.

Whatever it takes. Whatever it costs.

This behaviour is beyond reckless. It is beyond disgraceful.

It is amoral and corrosive.

And it needs to be called for what it is.
That's a big smack. I see ASIO and former ASIO highflyers are also smacking this reckless politics. :shock:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 17, 2022, 11:25 am

Morrison and Dutton - a pair of right grubs.

And the irony is that it is most likely Dutton who is undermining and backstabbing Morrison in the lead up to the looming election.

From the same article linked above by 93:
After Morrison and Dutton ignored the first rebuke by Burgess *** (what would he know after all?), a former spy chief, Dennis Richardson – one of the most respected former public servants in the country – entered the fray. Now retired, he can be more direct than Burgess.

Richardson told the ABC on Thursday morning: “What is unusual in this case is that the government is seeking to create the perception of a difference between it and the opposition on a critical national security issue, that is China – seeking to create the perception of a difference when none in practise exists”.

“That’s not in the national interest”.

“That only serves the interests of one country, and that is China.”
*** the current spy chief (of the Australian Security & Intelligence Organisation).

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 17, 2022, 12:46 pm

Dutton to Morrison 'Is your gun loaded, mine already is'?

Morrison, 'sure is'

Dutton, 'are you aiming it at Albo'?

Morrison 'nope, at my foot same as you'

FIRE!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 16, 2022, 2:09 pm

Scotty from Marketing, who was famously sacked from his two senior tourism jobs before finagling his way into politics, decided to armour-proof his employment while he was Prime Minister.

He did this by having himself secretly appointed as Minister in a number of other portfolios - without (in some cases) bothering to inform the incumbent Ministers, nor the Department secretaries, or the rest of his own Cabinet.

And most importantly, the Australian public.

Thereby proving again - if proof was ever needed - that he was the worst Australian PM ever. And a scumbag to boot.

The electors in the seat of Cook should be preparing for a by-election. With a half decent candidate, Labor should increase their House majority. =D>

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 16, 2022, 8:21 pm

jackspratt wrote:
August 16, 2022, 2:09 pm
Scotty from Marketing, who was famously sacked from his two senior tourism jobs before finagling his way into politics, decided to armour-proof his employment while he was Prime Minister.

He did this by having himself secretly appointed as Minister in a number of other portfolios - without (in some cases) bothering to inform the incumbent Ministers, nor the Department secretaries, or the rest of his own Cabinet.

And most importantly, the Australian public.

Thereby proving again - if proof was ever needed - that he was the worst Australian PM ever. And a scumbag to boot.

The electors in the seat of Cook should be preparing for a by-election. With a half decent candidate, Labor should increase their House majority. =D>
I also read that this shocking act of self-aggrandizement was only known to and approved by David Hurley, the Governor General.

That's surely going to get the anti-monarchists and republican crusaders all in a froth, no?

Talking of, I haven't seen GT's posturing for quite a while. He'd be all over this like white on rice, no?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 16, 2022, 8:35 pm

tamada wrote:
August 16, 2022, 8:21 pm

I also read that this shocking act of self-aggrandizement was only known to and approved by David Hurley, the Governor General.
Yes, it has occurred to me that I wonder what legal advice Hurley got before signing off on Morrison's multiple deceptions.

But given the asinine predilection of conservative Australian governments to appoint khakid types to this (currently) important position, I have no doubt they were all ingrained with the sense of following orders.

Come the Republic, hopefully they will be consigned to just sitting back, enjoying and living off their military pensions.

Return to “Australia”