tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Australian federal politics

Post by tamada » August 16, 2022, 8:54 pm

jackspratt wrote:
August 16, 2022, 8:35 pm
tamada wrote:
August 16, 2022, 8:21 pm

I also read that this shocking act of self-aggrandizement was only known to and approved by David Hurley, the Governor General.
Yes, it has occurred to me that I wonder what legal advice Hurley got before signing off on Morrison's multiple deceptions.

But given the asinine predilection of conservative Australian governments to appoint khakid types to this (currently) important position, I have no doubt they were all ingrained with the sense of following orders.

Come the Republic, hopefully they will be consigned to just sitting back, enjoying and living off their military pensions.
"The governor general, David Hurley, swore Morrison in as minister to the portfolios based on Morrison’s own advice. ..."

Seriously? A quick wiki search indicates that the GG had certain rights of empowerment vested through the Biosecurity Act 2015 that gave him the right to declare a public health emergency when Covid arrived in March 2020. I'm not sure if approving what some are painting as Morrison's unconstitutional power grab was included. With the governments, state and federal, quick to close borders and deny entry to their own citizens, maybe there was a genuine fear that Covid could decimate the government? However, using that same argument, shouldn't he have also granted the ministers with the health, finance, industry, science, energy and resources, home affairs and treasury portfolios the position of at least Deputy PM?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... rial-roles

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 23, 2022, 10:44 am

Were to now for Scotty from Marketing?
The nation's second law officer has found former prime minister Scott Morrison was validly appointed to the resources portfolio but not notifying ministers, parliament or the public "fundamentally undermined" the principles of responsible government.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-23/ ... /101352630
(My emphasis).

A decent and principled person would feel obliged to resign from parliament. I'm not holding my breath in this case.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 23, 2022, 10:52 am

jackspratt wrote:
August 23, 2022, 10:44 am
The nation's second law officer has found former prime minister Scott Morrison was validly appointed to the resources portfolio but not notifying ministers, parliament or the public "fundamentally undermined" the principles of responsible government.
(My emphasis).

A decent and principled person would feel obliged to resign from parliament. I'm not holding my breath in this case.
He is a Politician, therefore an oxymoron

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 17, 2022, 7:52 pm

A further principled decision by the new Australian government.
Labor quietly removes Scott Morrison's controversial recognition of West Jerusalem as Israel's capital

Australia's recognition of West Jerusalem as Israel's capital has been quietly scuttled by Labor, four years after former prime minister Scott Morrison made the controversial move.

In late 2018 Australia became one of the few countries in the world to recognise West Jerusalem as the official capital of the Jewish state, after the Trump administration relocated the US embassy there from Tel Aviv.......
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-17/ ... /101544964

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » October 18, 2022, 3:59 am

Forget Australian politics, Jack, it's all happening down at Westminster. We have people here who genuinely don't know what they're doing (and I'm not talking about David Lammy).
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 18, 2022, 7:54 am

jackspratt wrote:
August 23, 2022, 10:44 am
(My emphasis).

Scott Morrison has signed with a talent agency that charges organisations up to $100,000 for speaking engagements with “global thought leaders”.

Seems marketing pays

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 18, 2022, 8:22 am

noosard wrote:
October 18, 2022, 7:54 am

Seems marketing pays
Just not when you are Prime Minister, and supposed to be leading the country forwards rather than backwards. ;)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 20, 2022, 10:49 am

Hmm! ..... not a good look, and obviously had to go. Be interesting to see if she goes further.
Greens senator Lidia Thorpe has resigned as the party’s deputy leader in the Senate.

The ABC revealed earlier today that Senator Thorpe “briefly dated” the ex-president of the Victorian Rebels outlaw motorcycle gang, Dean Martin, while sitting on a parliamentary law enforcement committee.......

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-20/ ... /101557298
Ms Thorpe has demonstrated a disturbing propensity for "lack of judgement" in her short time in the national parliament. :-k

Also interesting that it was the ...cough... "leftie" ABC which first reported this. Although no doubt the conservative media in Oz will be all over it like flies on dog poo for the next few days. 8)

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 20, 2022, 12:42 pm

Seems both the right and left use the same jurnos
for at least this article
or is it just they dont like green

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 20, 2022, 12:43 pm

She was a nightmare, shows how there is still a very nutty element in all the parties.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » October 21, 2022, 4:02 am

If Lidia Thorpe is going to be standard bearer of future parliamentary aspirants, our country is going to be in a world of hurt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfM2WOBy8H0

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 21, 2022, 6:20 am

trekkertony wrote:
October 21, 2022, 4:02 am
If Lidia Thorpe is going to be standard bearer of future parliamentary aspirants, our country is going to be in a world of hurt.
Liz Truss is now available. Thank God I say as Sky News Australia switched over to their UK stream last night. Looks like the political intrigues of the Motherland beats the local variant by a Commonwealth mile.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 21, 2022, 6:46 am

tamada wrote:
October 21, 2022, 6:20 am
trekkertony wrote:
Liz Truss is now available. Thank God I say as Sky News Australia switched over to their UK stream last night. Looks like the political intrigues of the Motherland beats the local variant by a Commonwealth mile.
Sorry Tam,

Much as we would be delighted to have Truss in the federal cabinet, she has to be an Australian citizen and cannot hold dual nationality with attempting to revoke her British citizenship. Our Supreme Court is very picky about this.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 21, 2022, 9:30 am

Whistler wrote:
October 21, 2022, 6:46 am
tamada wrote:
October 21, 2022, 6:20 am
trekkertony wrote:
Sorry Tam,

Much as we would be delighted to have Truss in the federal cabinet, she has to be an Australian citizen and cannot hold dual nationality with attempting to revoke her British citizenship. Our Supreme Court is very picky about this.
As I already said, the political intrigues of the Motherland beats the local variant by a Commonwealth mile.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 21, 2022, 12:43 pm

My government is more dysfunctional than your government!

Boris and Ms Truss has assisted in this spectular shift in hysterical dyfunctionality. However long term I have every confidence that Australia will reclaim that mantle.

Why? The UK has only one bi-cameral parliament. Australia has one federal, five state, two territory and one unicameral governments.

Our potential is 8 times greater than Westminster even taking into account The House of Lords commendable record of silliness.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 21, 2022, 1:33 pm

Scotland ?

Wales ?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 21, 2022, 1:49 pm

jackspratt wrote:
October 21, 2022, 1:33 pm
Scotland ?

Wales ?
Colonys

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 25, 2022, 7:56 am

A Labor talking point
Mr Chalmers is not alone in blaming the Coalition for $1 trillion of debt.

On September 7, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese told journalists that Labor had "inherited a trillion dollars of Liberal Party debt".

In parliament the next day, he said: "The fact is that we have inherited a trillion dollars of Liberal Party debt, and therefore we have had to make some difficult decisions."

RMIT ABC Fact Check investigates.

The verdict
Mr Chalmers's claim is exaggerated.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 25, 2022, 8:59 am

Well bust my britches. An incoming government claiming the previous government left behind a mess. I have never heard of such a thing ever happening before. 😕

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » October 25, 2022, 2:07 pm

Whistler wrote:
October 25, 2022, 8:59 am
Well bust my britches. An incoming government claiming the previous government left behind a mess. I have never heard of such a thing ever happening before. 😕
Exactly ...

Return to “Australia”