udonmap.com

Re: Australian Election

Post by Whistler » May 14, 2022, 10:06 am

Earnest wrote:
May 14, 2022, 5:47 am
trekkertony wrote:
May 14, 2022, 2:55 am
Hello Earnest,
This link may help explaining the process for the Senate.
Thank you, it looks like a proportional representation system is followed.
Not really proportional, but elements of proportional representation. The preferential system is much more complex than in the lower house. Within two weeks of the election bans being called, each senate candidate must nominate a default preference, this is used if voters do not fill in all the boxes which is optional. This means that voters in most cases do not know where their preferences flow. Voting is so complex that it typically takes more than a week to get full and accurate senate voting results.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 14, 2022, 10:08 am

GT93 wrote:
May 14, 2022, 3:06 am
For those not Australian, one Australian senator once said in a radio interview that she liked men with big dicks. :shock:

NZ politics is really boring compared to this.
The term Jacqui Lambe used was 'a nice packet' if memory serves me well. She would have loved to have met Winston Peters who had that reputation.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 14, 2022, 10:18 am

I thought she was more colourful than that. And yes she was joking but she did say it.

I can't stand Peters. He's one of our worst politicians. Like Rudd and Abbot he has difficulties working with others.

I see China has been researching it's ICBM targets in Oz. Not unexpectedly Dutton wets himself. Morrison to his credit seems more measured.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 14, 2022, 10:35 am

GT93 wrote:
May 14, 2022, 10:18 am
I thought she was more colourful than that. And yes she was joking but she did say it.

I can't stand Peters. He's one of our worst politicians. Like Rudd and Abbot he has difficulties working with others.

I see China has been researching it's ICBM targets in Oz. Not unexpectedly Dutton wets himself. Morrison to his credit seems more measured.
Careful about knocking Dutton. Seems increasingly growing swing against Frydenburg, Dutton has every chance of being next leader of the opposition. Morrison a dead man walking, Frydenburg limping, Voldemort from Queensland the next big thing in Liberal ranks

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » May 14, 2022, 3:44 pm

trekkertony wrote:
May 14, 2022, 2:55 am
Hello Earnest,
This link may help explaining the process for the Senate.
Earnest wrote:
May 14, 2022, 5:47 am
Thank you, it looks like a proportional representation system is followed.
Whistler wrote:
May 14, 2022, 10:06 am
Not really proportional, but elements of proportional representation.
Yes, I see what you mean, especially when I saw the formula:

Formula for determining a Senate quota
(Number of formal ballot papers / (Number of senators to be elected + 1)) rounded down + 1 = Senate quota

But my understanding is that the Australian people vote for their Senate Representation. Whereas a bounder can get into the House of Lords through being a Russian newspaper owner and Conservative Party donor. The same applies to Opposition Parties in Blighty.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 14, 2022, 7:43 pm

I think it was Paul Keating who described the Senate us 'unrepresentative swill".

Forget about Sam Daystaryi, he got a lot of the popular vote even if he was Slippery Sam, but getting One Nation, PUP etc on tiny primary votes shows IMHO flaws in the process

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 14, 2022, 8:31 pm

Scotty from Marketing pictured wearing a condom at an election stunt today.
imago0159017478w.jpg

Proving yet again that he truly is a diicckhead.

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 14, 2022, 9:34 pm

it seems quite clear to me . real aussies back
scotty. fake aussies and other undesireable
fringe types, are trying to subvert with dirty play

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 14, 2022, 9:41 pm

Nothing you write on UM would indicate anything is clear to you, Cali. ;)

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 14, 2022, 10:13 pm

jackspratt wrote:
May 14, 2022, 9:41 pm
Nothing you write on UM would indicate anything is clear to you, Cali. ;)
Jack. Cali yearns for attention. When you respond to his troll posts, you satisfy his urge.

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 15, 2022, 4:15 am

you're constantly bleating , everyone else is a troll
it has no meaning coming from your filthy keyboard

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » May 15, 2022, 7:34 am

What aussies are looking for in this election.

Morrison Govt.
National security, building up the military, cyber security.
A strong border force.
Reliable energy from coal, hydrogen & nuclear energy.
Water, more dams.
Health care & employment.
- - -
The other mobs are pushing climate change rubbish, thats all they have got.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 15, 2022, 8:14 am

Sport wrote:
May 15, 2022, 7:34 am

Morrison Govt.
A strong border force.
Water, more dams.
- - -
Sport.

What about
- growth in real wages
- A national integrity commission to investigate rorts
- Fixing a woefully inadequate aged care system
- Border force policy identical to the coalition
- As for health care and employment, Labor has always been better on these issues

However, Climate Change is the number one issue for most Australians, climate change deniers are getting to be a very small percentage worldwide, and almost zero amongst scientists who know more about the subject than you or I.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 15, 2022, 9:03 am

Sport wrote:

Morrison Govt.
A strong border force.
Water, more dams.
- - -
All except the coal bit. You can leave that stuff in the ground, thanks.

Get this election over and done with and get a government that doesn't need the Greens to prop them up so that Woodside can proceed with their $16.5 billion Scarborough LNG project off the NW Shelf. You know it makes sense. Even more so after Putin's shenanigans.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 15, 2022, 9:27 am

LNG is not clean energy either, but a whole cleaner than coal or oil.

The transition to renewables will take decades, LNG appears to be a sensible form of energy for that transition period (say 30 years). Sports' statement that the coalition has a nuclear policy is incorrect, it is not the policy of either major party. I think it should be, we know plenty about keeping these safe, the three major incidences we have experienced in the past can all be avoided with good design and planning.

Build several in outback Australia and it could power the nation.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » May 15, 2022, 10:21 am

Whistler wrote:
May 15, 2022, 8:14 am
Sport wrote:
Sport.
What about
- growth in real wages
- As for health care and employment, Labor has always been better on these issues

However, Climate Change is the number one issue for most Australians, climate change deniers are getting to be a very small percentage worldwide, and almost zero amongst scientists who know more about the subject than you or I.
Wages will go up when the economy rises.
Fed ICAC, yep something along those lines, but labor did not agree to it.
Aged care is a concern, labors policy is to have nurses 16hrs a day in all homes, where are those nurses, pie in the sky.
Unemployed at 4% is fairly good under the coalition. Health care, Oz has medicare but more needs to be done.

Climate change rubbish. It is not the #1 issue for aussies, only in the eyes of the green slime, labor and teal independents. Kids being trotted out by the parents to protest, the kids have no idea. That is a form of neglect by parents. Aussies I have spoken too, and there are many, are hoping nuclear will be on the green( not the greens party ie) paper under the coalition.

Tamada, I am for coal, iron ore, gas, hydrogen and nuclear, sorry about that. If labor/greens get in, kiss the LNG project on the NW goodbye.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 15, 2022, 12:14 pm

Sport wrote:
May 15, 2022, 10:21 am
Whistler wrote:
May 15, 2022, 8:14 am
Sport wrote:
Sport.
What about
- growth in real wages

Wages will go up when the economy rises.
Fed ICAC, yep something along those lines, but labor did not agree to it.
Aged care is a concern, labors policy is to have nurses 16hrs a day in all homes, where are those nurses, pie in the sky.
Unemployed at 4% is fairly good under the coalition. Health care, Oz has medicare but more needs to be done.

Climate change rubbish. It is not the #1 issue for aussies, only in the eyes of the green slime, labor and teal independents. Kids being trotted out by the parents to protest, the kids have no idea. That is a form of neglect by parents. Aussies I have spoken too, and there are many, are hoping nuclear will be on the green( not the greens party ie) paper under the coalition.

Tamada, I am for coal, iron ore, gas, hydrogen and nuclear, sorry about that. If labor/greens get in, kiss the LNG project on the NW goodbye.
Agree Sports, climate change is not the No 1 issue, it is no 3. Still significant and ranks higher in electorates like Warringah, Kooyong, Wentworth and similar seats being targetted by the Teals. It will drive a lot of votes in this election.

You won't be voting for the Greens, Teals or Labor. Just a wild guess.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » May 15, 2022, 1:06 pm

[quote][i]Sport won't be voting for the Greens, Teals or Labor. Just a wild guess[/[/quote]i]. and to go with that a lot of young Australians who are desperately trying to save for their first home loan have been given a huge leg up by the LNP with today's announcement that they can access up to 40% of their superannuation capped out at $50,000 to go towards a deposit. With this announcement as to how it affects the election, it will be dependent on the % of young voters who are reliant on social security hand outs versus the % of young Australians wanting to be self reliant

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 15, 2022, 1:08 pm

Sport wrote:
May 15, 2022, 10:21 am
The CCWA (conservationists) lost their case in the WA Supreme Court in early March and Woodside commenced planning for the bit I'm involved in, provisional July start.

Santos are also making notable discoveries further east. Not sure why their significant development plans don't get such a bad name as Woodside's? I kicked off the Santos baseline survey over Bedout back in 2018 and they've probably drilled at least a dozen exploration wells since.

I guess they're all still waiting for this bloody election and the other shoe to fall. Or not?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Return to “Australia”