Australian Election

noosard
udonmap.com

Re: Australian Election

Post by noosard » June 23, 2022, 12:54 pm

Northern Territory Senator Jacinta Price has slammed Greens leader Adam Bandt’s “deeply divisive behaviour” concerning removing the Australian flag at press conferences. Mr Bandt recently said, "for many Australians, this flag represents dispossession and the lingering pains of colonisation".
th (24).jpg
th (24).jpg (4.46 KiB) Viewed 6756 times

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 23, 2022, 1:26 pm

noosard wrote:
June 23, 2022, 12:49 pm
Greens senator Lidia Thorpe
“The Australian flag does not represent me or my people,” she told the panel.

“It represents the colonisation of these lands, and it has no permission to be here, there’s been no consent, there’s been no treaty, so that flag does not represent me.”

Ms Thorpe said she also removes the Australian national flag during press conferences after Greens leader Adam Bandt was this week criticised for the same move.

Host Waleed Aly asked if her argument could also apply to the Australian parliament in which she serves.

“Absolutely, I’m here to infiltrate,” she replied.

th (23).jpg
She's only been a senator since 2020.

"In a speech to Parliament in May 2021, Thorpe alluded that the Attorney-General of the Northern Territory was a white male, when the Attorney-General, Selena Uibo, was an Indigenous woman."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidia_Tho ... cal_career

She's not a very bright example of Australia's indigenous.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 24, 2022, 1:56 am

Good to see the views of Aussie politicians with non-mainstream views. These guys can end up moving the entire political playing field in their direction.

The Dawson case is fascinating. I had read about the former rugby league player / teacher suspect a while ago but didn't recognize the name. He's very lucky people thought they saw his wife after he murdered her. He obviously killed her but I hope he gets a fair trial. He doesn't appear to be a risk to others.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 23, 2022, 9:50 am

It was interesting that some on here fell for this stunt, and repeated the lie

Disgraceful’: Damning report confirms Scott Morrison’s final act as PM

Former Prime Minister Scott Morrison wanted to publicise an asylum seeker boat interception on election day. Photo:

Former prime minister Scott Morrison pressured public servants to publicise the interception of an alysum seeker boat on the day of the May 2022 federal election, a damning report has found.

But the officials in Home Affairs had acted with integrity and refused to amplify a media statement they were forced to write about the Border Force operation unfolding on the high seas.

The report into the extraordinary circumstances surrounding one of the last acts of the previous Morrison government was prepared by the secretary of the Department of Home Affairs, Michael Pezzullo AO.

Releasing the report late on Friday, Labor’s Home Affairs Minister Clare O’Neil said the outgoing government had pushed to publicise the Border Force operation “for political gain” as Australians were going to the polls.

Not only was the move “unprecedented”, Ms O’Neil said it “sabotaged” the protocols of Operation Sovereign Borders, making their on-water work “more difficult and dangerous”.

“The profound compromise of a military-led operation is without precedent in Australia’s history,” said Ms O’Neil.

“It was disgraceful, shameful, and characteristic of a national government which frequently pursued political interests above the national interest.”

Home Affairs Minister Clare O’Neil is scathing of the Morrison government. Photo: AAP
On the day of the federal election, Australian border authorities revealed an asylum seeker boat had been turned back.

But Ms O’Neil said the report found uniformed Border Force and Defence Force members, and public servants, “acted with integrity and at the highest standards at all times”.

In fact, when they were ordered to send the media release about the boat interception to specific reporters and post it on social media, officials refused.

Department secretary Michael Pezzullo issued his own directive that day that “under no circumstances is the department to drop the story to selected journalists”.

“The release once cleared is to be posted to our news and media site – no more and no less,” Mr Pezzullo said at the time.

The report found that the directive to whip up a media statement about the asylum seeker boat came from former home affairs minister Karen Andrews’ office, following a direction from Mr Morrison.

The department was given 15 minutes to draft and publish a statement by Ms Andrews’ office which was released minutes after Mr Morrison announced the boat interception in his final press conference as PM.

“I can simply say this. I’ve been here to stop this boat, but in order for me to be there to stop those that may come from here, you need to vote Liberal and Nationals today,” Mr Morrison said to media at that conference.

The Liberal Party afterwards sent text messages to Australian voters in marginal seats on election day which read:

“Australian Border Force has intercepted an illegal boat trying to reach Australia. Keep our borders secure by voting Liberal today.”

The report found there was no evidence to suggest departmental officials were aware of the Liberal Party tweet and SMS message to voters about the boat interception.

Secretary of the Department of Home Affairs Michael Pezzullo refused to actively circulate the media statement.
Following his election, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese directed the Home Affairs department to conduct an inquiry into the matter, the results of which were released on Friday.

The report noted that under Caretaker Conventions, it was the decision of the responsible minister whether the arrival of the SIEV 915 boat was in the public interest.

“In the absence of any statutory provisions governing the matter, the release of this information was a matter of administration in relation to which the Minister could give directions, having regard to their ministerial role,” the report stated.

“The apolitical character of the public service was preserved in this instance by the refusal on the part of Departmental officials to amplify the public statement by sending it directly to journalists and to post it on social media.

“Any domestic amplification was judged by officials to be primarily for political purposes. Accordingly, they declined the relevant requests.

“Had ministerial instructions been given to the effect that the public statement was to be amplified, then a case could have been mounted that such action would have been contrary to the relevant provision of the Public Service Act 1999 (for officials to act at all times apolitically), but this potential conflict between the exercise of ministerial authority and that provision in the Act did not arise as the requests to amplify were not pressed.”
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 23, 2022, 6:04 pm

Since long winded history lessons are in vogue, shame those interested in history don’t post equally long winded articles about the future. Here’s one.

“It’s funny isn’t it.

Albo’s pick for Environment Minister, Tanya Plibersek, thinks she knows what she’s talking about when it comes to the Aussie bush and climate…but she has no idea.

As the member for Sydney, Tanya represents the green yuppies of Newtown, Glebe, Darlinghurst and Kings Cross who’ve never ventured west of Parramatta and work in air-conditioned office towers or vegan cafes.

Tanya grew up in Sydney and has spent her entire life working in politics and government.

Yet Tanya seems to think she understands the amazing complexities of the Aussie bush and the climate cycles it has adapted to over millions of years…and her latest speech to the National Press Club shows how brainwashed she truly is.

Tanya boasted that under her environmental leadership the Albanese government will:

Press ahead with a pre-election commitment to protect 30 per cent of Australia’s land – a move which will require the locking up of another 65 million hectares of Aussie bush.
Release a draft proposal for a new independent environment protection agency – which will be run by “climate scientists” like Tim Flannery who make their living by spreading hysterical prophecies of climate doom that never come true.
Consider the introduction of a “climate trigger” in new laws on fossil fuel projects assessments – that will make Australia one of the most difficult and expensive places in the world to pursue new energy and mining projects.
Work to take another 448 gigalitres of irrigation water from farmers in the Murray-Darling Basin for “environmental flows” by 2024 – equivalent to 180,000 Olympic sized swimming pools of water.
The point of all this?

To protect Australia’s “precious places, landscapes, animals and plants…that may not be here for our kids and grandkids”, Tanya says.

Tanya told the National Press Club that “threatened communities have grown by 20 per cent in the last five years, with places literally burned into endangerment by catastrophic fires” – ignoring the fact that hazard reduction burns across Australia have decreased from an average of around 35,000 hectares a year between 1960-1970 to around 15,000 hectares a year between 2000-2018.

She said, “we deserve to know that the Murray-Darling fell to its lowest level on record in 2019” – ignoring the Murray Darling Basin Authority’s recent admission that “streamflows were well above-average…[and] there have been record high flows recorded in many sites” across the Basin in June 2022.

She said, “marine heatwaves have caused mass bleaching in the Great Barrier Reef” – even though the Australian Institute of Marine Science said coral cover on the Great Barrier Reef increased significantly to a record high value of 28 per cent with no serious coral bleaching found at all last year.

She said, “Australia is experiencing a plague of marine plastics” – turning a blind eye to the fact that ten rivers in Asia and Africa carry 93 per cent of the trash that flows into our oceans.

And she said, “Australia is one of the world’s deforestation hotspots” – even though we have 4 per cent of the world’s global forest estate, the world’s sixth largest forested area, and the fourth largest area of forest in nature conservation reserves.

The short point?

Tanya wants to take land and water off our farmers.

She wants to give more power to Canberra-based bureaucrats who’ve never created a job to make it even more difficult for new infrastructure, mining, energy and industrial projects to gain approval.

She wants to shut our baseload coal-fired power stations and buy wind turbines and solar panels from the Chinese instead.

And she believes that somehow all her pathetic reforms will save the planet from doomsday and ensure Australia never experiences a flood, bushfire, cyclone, coral bleaching event or extinction again.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 23, 2022, 7:39 pm

Hopefully bringing an end to these unattributed articles, I just note that the new Environment Minister has correctly released a government report that highlights the dire straits of the Australian environment.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ent-report

That report sat on the desk of the previous government's Environment Minister for 6 months - clearly because it was a tremendous political embarrassment to the conservatives leading up to the recent election.

There is a common theme between these two recent, (unnecessarily) lengthy and (sadly) unattributed posts - the execrable Morrison government (and Morrison in particular) was more than happy to put its/his own political survival before the national good, in respect to both the environment, and border control.

Thank fuucck it/he is history.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 23, 2022, 7:46 pm

Hmm,

Sorry Barney, I simply do not agree. You don't have to be living in regional areas to understand the environmental issues in rural Australia. It's like insisting the Minister for Defence must have worn Khaki. Or the Minister for social services had to have been on the dole before being assigned the portfolio. Your post is just a character assassination. Who was the Morrison Minister for the Environment? A London educated lady from Western Australia, born in a desert region in that state with no experience of bush conditions in Eastern States that suffer the majority of the recent immense major fires. Under Abbott it was Hunt, a total drop kick, growing up in Melbourne, he was not a bushy either.

You also display a real lack of understanding about Hazard Reductions (HR's) on several counts. HR's concentrate on removing ground fuel, they don't touch anything more than 1.5 metres above ground level. An HR makes little impact on preventing intense fires like crowning fires. In addition, conditions have to be ideal to conduct an HR, it needs a build up of ground fuel of between 7 tonne per hectare and maybe up to 20 tonne per hectare. Above those fuel levels an HR is too dangerous, HR also have to take place under ideal conditions of high humidity, a modest temperature after ground fuel has had around 8+ weeks of dry weather. Those conditions have become less and less frequent in recent decades, because Climate Change is biting hard.

Greenies have no input on HR policy, which is set by committees that typically comprise the RFS, State Fire Departments, Local government, department of environment and Forest and National Park managers. I have never been part of an HR planning group where the Green movement had any chance to talk to the HR planning committee. The closest they get is some Green Town Councillor, that is but just one voice in a larger committee.

Plibersek says she wants scientists to make decisions on environmental strategy, Who do you think should make those decisions? Armchair climate deniers, or experts in their field?
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 23, 2022, 8:37 pm

You lost my real interest at character assassination. That’s your MO for conservatives.
At least you finally got to sprout your expertise of bush fire fighting.
You rabbit on as though know one else besides you has lived and worked in the bush. I doubt you lived in the outback.
She said it at a media spread. She’s talking out the back end.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 23, 2022, 9:01 pm

A simple question, Barney - why do you think Sussan Ley (the previous Environment Minister) sat for 6 months on a scathing Environment report, commissioned by her own government that had been in power for the previous decade?

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » July 24, 2022, 8:03 am

She had to sit on something
And that is what pollies do

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 24, 2022, 8:15 am

noosard wrote:
July 24, 2022, 8:03 am
Post of the Day Award!
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 24, 2022, 8:18 am

noosard wrote:
July 24, 2022, 8:03 am
Context, noos ..... it's important. ;)

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 24, 2022, 9:26 am

The scandal ridden woman, had to resign when an Abbott minister, was forced to repay scammed expenses. She sits on a property portfolio and a woeful parliamentary record. Morrison loaded his cabinet with these types.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 24, 2022, 2:23 pm

Barney wrote:
July 23, 2022, 6:04 pm

She said, “marine heatwaves have caused mass bleaching in the Great Barrier Reef” – even though the Australian Institute of Marine Science said coral cover on the Great Barrier Reef increased significantly to a record high value of 28 per cent with no serious coral bleaching found at all last year.
Barney, why do you tell such blatant porkies? You claim Plibersek is talking out of her rear end, she is repeating what scientists have been stating, not made up lied that you published here.

The Australian Institute of Marine Science published no such statement about 28% of the reef expanding.

What they did say was

"The latest data from Deloitte Access Economics says Australia’s marine industry grew 28 per cent in two years" Marine industry, not the Great Barrier Reef which is shrinking at an alarming rate.

https://themarketherald.com.au/biannual ... 021-07-02/

They also made statements that the reef is under considerable pressure from Coral Bleaching and climate change. You said no serious coral bleaching found? In fact they state the exact opposite!

https://www.aims.gov.au/research-topics ... -bleaching

Stop telling fibs, it is not the first time you have been caught out, and probably not the last.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » July 24, 2022, 4:57 pm

Whistler your post on bleaching is a generalization of reefs not the barrier reef today

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 24, 2022, 5:05 pm

Whistler wrote:
July 24, 2022, 9:26 am
The scandal ridden woman, had to resign when an Abbott minister, was forced to repay scammed expenses. She sits on a property portfolio and a woeful parliamentary record. Morrison loaded his cabinet with these types.
So did Boris but he's not gone yet and neither is his party.

You guys are lucky an should be focused on looking ahead to a brighter future rather then doing worthless forensics on Morrison and his ilk.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 24, 2022, 8:41 pm

noosard wrote:
July 24, 2022, 4:57 pm
Whistler your post on bleaching is a generalization of reefs not the barrier reef today
Agree Noosard, however, if you have a look at many, many posts from the same authority, there are dozens of specific posts on the Barrier Reef.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 25, 2022, 12:03 am

noosard wrote:
July 24, 2022, 4:57 pm
if you drill down through the links available on whistlers post, you can get to the monthly reef health reports

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » July 25, 2022, 7:03 am

For June 2022, seven out of 12 reefs where reef health assessments were completed reported some level of bleaching, all low in extent with severity ranging from bleached upper surface only to recent mortality. Of the 91 Reef Health Impact Surveys (RHIS) performed throughout June, just under 16% recorded coral bleaching.

done 12 reefs out of how many and where are they
there are thousands and most are 100kms or more off shore
out there in the pacific ocean and in good health

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 25, 2022, 8:49 am

noosard wrote:
July 25, 2022, 7:03 am
For June 2022, seven out of 12 reefs where reef health assessments were completed reported some level of bleaching, all low in extent with severity ranging from bleached upper surface only to recent mortality. Of the 91 Reef Health Impact Surveys (RHIS) performed throughout June, just under 16% recorded coral bleaching.

done 12 reefs out of how many and where are they
there are thousands and most are 100kms or more off shore
out there in the pacific ocean and in good health
Not sure what your motivation is noosard, the post Barney made stated there was no coral bleaching and in fact the reef was growing rapidly. I would be interested in seeing your source. The Great Barrrier Reef foundation claims 2/3rds of reef is subject to bleaching.

https://www.barrierreef.org/the-reef/th ... -bleaching

I am not sure what part of the website you are reading, but from the same site, coral bleaching is much, much more than 16%. In any one year that may be the case, but year on year the figure of 2/3rds is closer to the truth.

https://www.aims.gov.au/research-topics ... ing-events

Return to “Australia”