Private Messages

Udon Thani Forum help, support, rules, & announcements
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Private Messages

Post by jackspratt » October 30, 2016, 7:47 pm

Can Admin please confirm - or otherwise - that the following message in the PM Compose section:

"PMs can be read and or delete by a asministrator" (sic)

means that so called PMs are in fact not private (ie confidential) between the sender and the receiver?

Galee
udonmap.com

Re: Private Messages

Post by Galee » October 30, 2016, 8:00 pm

Quote from Udon Map.
If you have a problem/question, the most effective way to get a response in a reasonable amount of time is to send me a PM here (I am user Udon Map) or an email at [email protected] .

Awkward questions not allowed on the public forum jack.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » October 30, 2016, 9:02 pm

jackspratt wrote:Can Admin please confirm - or otherwise - that the following message in the PM Compose section:

"PMs can be read and or delete by a asministrator" (sic)

means that so called PMs are in fact not private (ie confidential) between the sender and the receiver?
That capability did exist in the previous version of the forum software, the version which was installed when Udon Map started. I assume that that's why the message was placed there. There was no upgrade to the software for nearly ten years until a few months ago, when the forum software was upgraded to the current version. The ability to read PMs was removed from the software something like six years ago, as far as I can tell; and it does not exist in the current version (the one which now runs Udon Map). (Note, it wasn't removed by Udon Map, which does not have control over the system at that level. It was removed from the software by the people who develop and provide the software.)

For the skeptics among you, this is all easily verifiable at various sources on the internet.

Bottom line? The software we use for the forum no longer gives Administrators, Moderators, or anyone else other than the sender and recipient(s) the ability to see/read Private Messages. This capability was removed from the UM forum software when we upgraded to the current version a few months ago.

I understand that there are privately developed system modifications available which allow Moderators to read private messages; however, I have no interest in spending any money on that.

Note that PMs aren't totally private, anyway. Both the sender and recipient have a copy of the message. If you, as the sender, delete a PM from your Sent box, a copy still exists in the recipient's Inbox if he hasn't deleted it.

If you'd like any further information, please email me at [email protected], or you can always send me a private message. :-)

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » October 30, 2016, 10:21 pm

I had hoped that with a clear and full explanation, we could have a reasonable conversation on this topic. It appears that I was being overly optimistic; as the first poster to comment made two posts which assumed "facts" which are simply untrue, as explained above. Rather than getting into a debate on this topic here, Galee was right. It is a long standing rule on UM (and every other forum on which I've posted) that comments about the management of the forum, actions by moderators, etc., are not permitted in the public forum, but must be done privately.

If you have a question, comment, etc., please feel free to send it to me by PM or by email at [email protected].

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » October 30, 2016, 11:15 pm

After a quick consultation with my attorney (it's daytime in the U.S.), I will be following his advice; and Udon Map will be acquiring the software to allow review of PMs. The warning will stay so that everyone is aware, as I expect to have the software up and running in a couple of days. My attorney feels that given the vigor with which the Thai government is enforcing the lese majeste laws, the capability to review PMs would help protect from liability in the event that inappropriate statements and comments are made in a PM.

Return to “Forum Help, Support, Rules, & Announcements”