NK visit

News, views and comments about Nong Khai here...
kakariki
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by kakariki » January 16, 2015, 3:37 am

I haven't been to NK for while and I'm planning a trip and was after some info, last time when we went to the waterfront market, there was parking in a Wat opposite the entrance, is that still available.
Also they let take our car out of Thailand onto the Friendship bridge to the duty free shops just inside the Laos checkpoint without and visa paperwork, can you still do this?
Thanks Barry

udonman
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by udonman » January 16, 2015, 4:51 am

You can park in the Wat opposite the Danish Baker, there is also off road parking on the same road as you go to the top of the market.
I've never heard of anyone being allowed to take a car accross the bridge without paperwork. I think it's like a passport as the car is stamped out then in again.

kakariki
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by kakariki » January 16, 2015, 6:21 am

Thanks for that, I guess I'll try at the bridge and see what happens.

GT93
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by GT93 » May 12, 2015, 3:15 pm

I love Nong Khai. I visit Nong Khai every time I'm in Thailand. Sometimes more than once. Part of me wishes I'd chosen Nong Khai over Udon. Is anyone else going to admit such a train of thought? This admission doesn't mean that I think 747man is a more interesting poster than his mate OT.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

747man
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by 747man » May 12, 2015, 3:25 pm

This admission doesn't mean that I think 747man is a more interesting poster than his mate OT......Oh !! Thank You for the thoughts GT93................I Think

Aardvark
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by Aardvark » May 12, 2015, 5:16 pm

Actually I always loved NK but, I need some decent Restaurants and I mean not just Thai of which there are many ...

macca46
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by macca46 » May 12, 2015, 7:22 pm

There is a very good Viet. place on the river you have to walk all the way through the market and then keep going excellent food and service worth a try.

747man
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by 747man » May 12, 2015, 7:38 pm

Aardvark wrote:Actually I always loved NK but, I need some decent Restaurants and I mean not just Thai of which there are many ...
You'll be Lucky, Mark.... :shock: :shock:

747man
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by 747man » May 12, 2015, 7:39 pm

macca46 wrote:There is a very good Viet. place on the river you have to walk all the way through the market and then keep going excellent food and service worth a try.
There's A Better one IMHO Its on the Phon Phisai Road Almost opposite the 1st Texaco Petrol Station....

GT93
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by GT93 » May 13, 2015, 1:36 pm

Are there very few farang tourists in Nong Khai at this time of year 747man?
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

socksy
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by socksy » May 13, 2015, 2:28 pm

This isn't a piss take and I'm looking for serious answers please. Been to Nong Khai several times before but intend taking 'Socksy' junior in the next few day's. Any decent attractions to take her to? I've heard about an aquarium and a crocodile park- if they exist are they any good? Any other information would be appreciated.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

BobHelm
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by BobHelm » May 13, 2015, 2:34 pm

A stroll along the 'prom' by the river is always worthwhile I think Socksy - they made a really nice job of it. Plenty of places Thai & the Vietnamese to eat there when the walking gets too much.
Plus the market that is along side it is worth a look. OK it is somewhat like the Night Market for many products, but there are some unique gems amongst the standard fare... :D

timmy
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by timmy » May 13, 2015, 3:49 pm

socksy wrote:This isn't a piss take and I'm looking for serious answers please. Been to Nong Khai several times before but intend taking 'Socksy' junior in the next few day's. Any decent attractions to take her to? I've heard about an aquarium and a crocodile park- if they exist are they any good? Any other information would be appreciated.
all i can say is the aquarium is well worth a visit " but show them your thai driving licence to get in for thai price "
but the croc park is a " croc " of poop ....

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by merchant seaman » May 13, 2015, 4:08 pm

Aquarium is located at Khon Khen University Nong Khai Campus. Same road as Immigration.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

socksy
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by socksy » May 13, 2015, 4:15 pm

Bob - many thanks we will visit the Aquarium as recommended by Merchant and Timmy and have a stroll through the market to work up a hunger and have lunch at one of the promenade establishments. Will take my Thai licence to avoid the dual pricing. Thanks Guy's.
Alba gu bràth

747man
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by 747man » May 13, 2015, 6:21 pm

GT93 wrote:Are there very few farang tourists in Nong Khai at this time of year 747man?
Yes There are VERY Few Tourists here at the Moment..... :shock: :shock:

747man
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by 747man » May 13, 2015, 6:26 pm

socksy wrote:Bob - many thanks we will visit the Aquarium as recommended by Merchant and Timmy and have a stroll through the market to work up a hunger and have lunch at one of the promenade establishments. Will take my Thai licence to avoid the dual pricing. Thanks Guy's.
Socks, I Took my U.K Visitors to The Crocodile Show Last Year & They were quite happy with it....The Younger " Socksy " Might be a little scared though....Although If shes got " Glasgow Blood " She'll probably want to get in the cages & ' Fight Them " :lol: :lol: :lol:

And Yes The Aquarium is well worth a Visit...Turn left of Highway 2 at the signs for The Friendship Bridge & You'll see Signs for Khon Kaen University on your left about 1 km after turning off the highway....Easy You cannot miss it...

socksy
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by socksy » May 14, 2015, 6:25 am

Thanks 747. Well do the Aquarium first and town for lunch and see how the time goes before contemplating the Crocodile place. If I promise her a new handbag and shoes she'll take on the challenge of a bundle with a Croc.
Alba gu bràth

Zidane
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by Zidane » May 14, 2015, 8:47 am

According to Trip Advisor the most popular attraction in Nong Khai is Sala Kaew Ku,a park with many amazing statues about 3km out of town on the Phon Phisai road.
I've been there myself and its worth spending a bit of time having a wander around....park entrance is only 20 baht.
Sala Kaew Ku 1.jpg
Sala Kaew Ku 7 headed serpent.jpg
"You can check out any time you like but you can never leave"
Sala Kaew Ku.jpg
Sala Kaew Ku.jpg (65.41 KiB) Viewed 3538 times
Cant think of anything else that has not already been mentioned.....Aquarium,Tha Sadet market,stroll along the promenade,eat at the Vietnamese restaurant overlooking the river etc.....one thing that disappoints me about Nong Khai is the lack of a place that does decent farang food.Given its location on the Mekhong it could be a bit of a money spinner with good western food and ice cool beers !
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

socksy
udonmap.com

NK visit

Post by socksy » May 14, 2015, 9:04 am

Looks good Zid. Many thanks.
Alba gu bràth

Return to “Nong Khai”