Family Trip to the Beach

Southern Thailand and the islands
NorthwoodsBob

Family Trip to the Beach

Post by NorthwoodsBob » October 3, 2008, 5:54 am

My family (wife and two young adult daughters) are looking to take a short holiday to a Thailand beach. Looking for an area that is not crowded and has reasonable accommodations. We will be driving, so public transportation is not an issue. Want to stay away from Pattaya-like attractions. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

panick
udonmap.com

Re: Family Trip to the Beach

Post by panick » October 3, 2008, 6:18 am

In Udon? :shock:
Bring back Saint

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 3, 2008, 7:37 am

Rayong (also gives the option of visiting Ko Samet)

Kho Chang

NorthwoodsBob

Post by NorthwoodsBob » October 3, 2008, 7:44 am

No . . . not in Udon. I was thinking a little more like a resort or accommodations on the seashore. However, I am looking for a place that is remote and not overrun with attractions for male falangs.

NorthwoodsBob

Post by NorthwoodsBob » October 3, 2008, 7:47 am

Thank you, Jacksprat. I will look into this area.

poolshark
udonmap.com

Post by poolshark » October 3, 2008, 7:58 am

hua hin or cha am, would be my best suggestions.
Cha am is very quiet and has a good stretch of beach front for the kids.
great new road from bangkok.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » October 3, 2008, 8:22 am

if wanting very quiet, a bit further down the gulf side, thung wua laen, 15 kms above chumphon. will be heading that way myself shortly, will update beach conditions if you would like. if rough or shallow, i will continue on to khao lak and phuket, which is consistantly good. khao lak is aslo very quiet. kata beach in phuket is a favorite, and must be very quiet now, as i notice quite a few hotels have extended their stay so many night, but pay for less, such as stay 6/pay 4. helps with the pocket money. 1st time that discount was extenede into october, so things must be a little slow for business, thank you, just the way i like it. :D :D :D :D :D

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » October 3, 2008, 10:01 am

October is still low season in Phuket and it does rain then. November is the start of high season.

If you are going to Phuket, I've got a place there you could stay in, - 2 bedroom single storey bungalow, with all mod cons - inc AC, HW, TV, fridge/freezer, microwave and washing machine. It's 1km from Kamala beach. Kamala is a quiet beach village with restaurants, a few bars and a few dive shops (and about 10kms from Patong).

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » October 3, 2008, 6:01 pm

I agree with jackspratt, Rayong and Koh Samet a good choice.

I had a good time at this hotel. Nice and quiet with good pool.

http://www.rayongresort.com/

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 3, 2008, 7:31 pm

Koh Samet is a great family choice.. Just do NOT go on a Thai holiday as the island will be jammed with over 40K Thais.. When traveling down to Samet, if you take your own vehicle you'll be parking it in secure parking at Ban Phe the port facing Koh Samet which is about 4km off shore from Ban Phe. If you take a bus it will drop you off about 150m down the port road from the ferry/boat terminal. At the terminal/pier you'll find mainland offices of many of the resorts/hotels/bungalows. You can take a hired speedboat directly to whatever beach you're staying on, or take the ferry across for a cheaper alternative. Hotels/resorts and bungalows abound on the east side of Samet and their prices range in accordance with how fancy they are. There is minimal "night life" of the bar sort on Samet's beaches. They do have some club/restaurants that party into the wee hours. But, in my many years of visiting the island I've seen only a very few "working" girls actually plying their trade.
Sai Kaew villa on Sai Kaewhttp://www.saikaew.com/ (jewel beach)is a great place and on the same beach is a cheaper place Sinsamut Bungalows, a mere 50m down the beach from Sai Kaew villa and lower end, but the owners are quite nice http://www.sinsamut-kohsamed.com/eng/index.html. I've had my family, kids/grandkids at both Sai Kaew villa and Sinsamut and each visit they had a great time..
A caution on Samet...!! Avoid coming outside from about 1800-1900 as the mosquitos from the swamps behind the beach are horrendous!! After 1900 they completely go away as nice evening sea breezes from the east rise up. Most folks hit the beach restaurants in the evening. The venues are many with most setting up bamboo mats and Thai style short tables and axe pillows to relax under the stars on the sand while you eat your dinner.
Dave

Return to “Southern Thailand”