Phuket - Where to stay? What to see and do?

Southern Thailand and the islands
lee
udonmap.com

Phuket - Where to stay? What to see and do?

Post by lee » January 8, 2006, 12:18 pm

I'm planning a trip to Phuket in a weeks time when my parents arrive. I've never been and haven't a clue where to go, what to see and where to stay.
I've been told that Patong is worth a look, lot's of nightlife, clean beaches and not far from the phuket fantasea. I'm just looking for cheap clean accommodation, a few interesting places to visit and just general R&R.

I've looked at some Phuket websites and it seems that most are geared towards advertising large hotels.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards, Lee

tenbyboy
udonmap.com

Post by tenbyboy » January 8, 2006, 5:30 pm

Last edited by tenbyboy on January 30, 2006, 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

tenbyboy
udonmap.com

Post by tenbyboy » January 8, 2006, 5:31 pm

Last edited by tenbyboy on January 30, 2006, 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Garnet
udonmap.com

1,000 Baht Nightly

Post by Garnet » January 9, 2006, 1:08 am

It does seem that the 1,000 Baht per night is rather common for accommodation at Phuket. That's what they charge where my wife is working, Le Vele. It only has about seven rooms, as I remember. And certainly no swimming pool! It's just a small, Italian-themed restaurant/rooming establishment. But it is right close to the section of Phuket that most tourists throng, the Patong area.

If you get really desperate on planning any activities for your folks, Lee, let me know, and I'll 'pm' you Jack's phone number--she could probably at least give activity suggestions. And her "bosses" are her sister, Penn, and Penn's fiance, Aldo. I'm sure Aldo would be full of ideas on what your folks might enjoy in the area. His own father has spent a lot of time visiting.
Garnet & Jack

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » January 9, 2006, 2:43 am

I've always used the Nipa Villa:

http://www.phuketdir.com/nipavilla/

It's a lovely little place, not too much in the way of facilities, but the cost is very reasonable, owners have a wealth of knowledge of the local area, and the rooms are very cosy indeed.

It's a plesant 5 minute walk from the resort into Patong itself, so you and your parents will get a good nights sleep if required :)

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » January 9, 2006, 8:25 am

I was going to speak of the comfort resort. Very economical but the Tsunami closed it and by what I can find on the internet it is still closed. Sorry could not help.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » January 9, 2006, 10:18 am

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, it is much appreciated. I'll take a look at Le Vele and Nipa Villa.
I guess once we're there we'll be able to find things to do around the area.

Regards, Lee

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » January 9, 2006, 11:49 am

Lee:
In the words of the great madonna song :- Whos that girl? (the one on your avatar)

What a stunner - new G/f?

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » January 9, 2006, 12:22 pm

Lee:
In the words of the great madonna song :- Whos that girl? (the one on your avatar)

What a stunner - new G/f?
Oh my, I wish she was my new gf! Her name is Janie Tienphosuwan and she's a movie star from Bangkok. Every time I see her picture my heart beats a million times a second, this is my kind of girl.

Oh well I can only dream, back to the land of the living lol!

Lee

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » January 10, 2006, 2:55 am

She looks better in your av Lee ;)

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » January 10, 2006, 9:34 am

And would look even better in my .........- oops no don't go there.

Wanna let Lee enjoy her all by himself

but, if only huh?

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » January 10, 2006, 9:11 pm

Now now Paul ;)

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » January 26, 2006, 5:33 pm

I've just returned from my short holiday in Phuket with the parents. We all enjoyed our time there, lots of atmosphere, nice beaches and good seafood restaurants. We stayed in Patong Bay at the Lelawadee Boutique hotel for three nights then moved to a hotel near Bangla road for the remainder of the holiday, this turned out to be a good move because we were closer to the beach and all the action.
We spent most days by the beach and in the evenings down at the Bangla road area, however we did see the amazing Fantersea show, a boat trip to James Bond Island and Mum did a paraglide over the bay.
All in all it was a nice week, plenty of things to see and do and enough to keep us occupied. The weather was certainly allot warmer than Udon, the sea water was just right and perfect for swimming. Things were a little more expensive down there but this is to be expected when in a popular tourist spot. It's good to see that Phuket back on it's feet after the Tsunami and business is almost back to normal.

Anyway it's time for me to catch up on the latest posts on the forum.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » January 26, 2006, 5:49 pm

Sure looks like things are 'getting back' to some sort of normality again down there.

Glad you enjoyed your trip Lee

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » January 26, 2006, 8:18 pm

Glad you had such a great trip and holiday. Some very good pictures.

Garnet
udonmap.com

Cost of Beer

Post by Garnet » June 18, 2006, 11:04 pm

After my 2004 engagement to my (now) wife, Jack, she and I went to Phuket and stayed for at least a week. One evening while we were visiting one of the gals she knows who was working in an Italian's bar located off Bangla Road in one of the bar-congested sois, the gent with me in the attached photo made a big effort to coax me to try the bar he was advertising for. He didn't seem to have a command of any English, and actually spoke barely at all, but he definitely was offering a good deal! However, because the advertised bar was adjacent to the one Jack's friend was tending, I felt unable to venture into the other, particularly since I believe it may have had a few ladies inside who might have attached themselves to me if Jack wasn't with me. But I thought that this was an excellent beer price for that location! Jack too the photo, by the way. Image
Garnet & Jack

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 18, 2006, 11:36 pm

well who needs to speak english with a sign like that.... :D .... is that 4 changs for 150 baht , it looks like it.
well i have'nt been to phuket for must be 10 years this year, i was involved with a beer bar in soi Bangla for a few years, and the cost of beer hasn't changed at all, i think its actually cheaper now than then. Even when i first came to los in 1988, i remember the beer singh/kloster/amarit was around 50-70 baht a bottle in most bars i even remember paying 40 baht. Its nice to see somethings do-not change in 18 years. :wink:
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » June 19, 2006, 12:11 am

Pattaya - small bottle (of any) beer = 65 baht in a regular bar or 100 (average) in a go go.

Udon - Large Leo/Chang = 45 baht in a Thai bar or 70 in Farang bars

Seems that Udon is a much cheaper place.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 19, 2006, 12:29 am

70 baht for large, agreed thats a deal.(udon) or 3 for 100----local super, drinking alone in the garden!
but the large tourist areas still roughly the same price as 18 years ago. The marine pattaya charged 90 baht small bottle in 89-90,slightly cheaper for go-go's,last time i was there it was 100 but a few years ago. out of big tourist areas the large bottles are more available in bars,don't think i have ever had a large one at a beer bar in pattaya.
but on the whole prices haven't changed much.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 19, 2006, 12:36 am

maybe some of the ex-service men that were stationed in Thailand years and years ago may mention the price of beer then, and brands too.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Return to “Southern Thailand”