Ko Chang

Central Thailand forum - Bangkok, Pattaya etc.
Paul
udonmap.com

Ko Chang

Post by Paul » October 7, 2005, 6:25 pm

Just returned from a short break in ko Chang and unlike Ko Samet which I visited recently - Ko Chang was great, a complete opposite of all that was bad in Samet.

I am far too lazy to write everything about Ko Chang - but if anyone wants any information give me a shout.

I have some pictures which I intend to post - however I have to confess I have't really got the hang of putting pictures on this site yet - well never really had the urge, maybe I should spend half an hour finding how to do it - yeah , tomorrow (maybe).

If anyone remembers Phuket 15 or 20 years ago - that is what Ko Chang reminded me of.

Paul 8)

StevieC
udonmap.com

Post by StevieC » October 7, 2005, 9:43 pm

Hi
I read a little bit about Ko Chang but what's it really like? Is there much to do there? What's the best way of getting there? 8) \:D/
Ergo Bibamus

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » October 7, 2005, 11:54 pm

There is quite a bit of info on this site:

http://www.kochangvr.com/kochang/kohchang.htm

Hope it helps :)

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » October 8, 2005, 1:02 am

Went to Ko Chang last year. I was not in Phuket 15 to 20 years ago but I will say Ko Chang is quite laid back. It is not overrun with tourist but has enough to offer good facilities. I enjoyed the end of the island where you walk out on the pier. Had a very good resturant there that made shrimp ga pow excellent. If going scuba or snorkling go to the far island as the close ones the coral is about dead. Had bad weather the day we went out so went to close island. Still had a good time looking at the fish.

There are several seclude beaches Could not name them but a bit of research will provide the answer as not many hotels there. we actually said we were going to stay over the water on the pier next time.

Would I go there again. You bet I would. I have been to phuket and it is too commercial.

Go and have come.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 8, 2005, 1:14 am

Sean, nice link...looks like a good place to spend a few days.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » October 8, 2005, 5:26 am

Good link and post, BB and banpaeng. How did you get there, bp? Fly in from BKK? If so, remember cost and distance?

Never been to Phuket (yet) but Ko Chang sounds a lot like Pattaya was some 30-35 years ago. Used to be able to rent a tourist boat for 10-15 dollars a day. They would take you out into the Gulf to fish for Red Snapper (with handlines) and then take you to offshore islands where they would clean your catch and restaurants would cook/fry them for your lunch. Those were the days.

Maybe Paul will elaborate on his trip after he gets rested up from his vacation? :-$

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 8, 2005, 5:46 am

Unlike a number of touristy places in Thailand, Kochang is on my list for further visits.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » October 8, 2005, 6:01 am

Kind of similar to Pattaya a long time ago but a few more dollars. As far as getting there You can most likely get a better deal than we do. We hire a guy that has driven me for the last 15 years and I pay for his service. A very safe driver and he takes care of my and folks I send to him. He has a van and my sister from the US went with her friend over to Thailand and they used this driver to take them all over the area with no problems. I am sure most taxis are safe and do not have to worry about theft but with this guys all is ok if you leave stuff in his car during the day while you are out. There were three couples that he took in his van and wife thought we paid 5k per couple. I think that is more than we paid but ain't going to argue. It is a nice drive.

I went a long way to say 5k per couple. That included petro.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » October 9, 2005, 11:08 pm

Ok then : Ko Chang (in brief)

Went there by bus - 6 hours from Bkk - 233 baht and get off in Trat.
Trat is a dump - apparently has the best night market in thailand - according to Lonely Planet. well if it does, I never saw it. I found a night market of sorts with a few dirty food vendors and ate across the road which looked better - it wasn't !

Because of my late arrival in Trat, I had to stay the night. I asked where was the best hotel in Trat and a songthaew driver told me it 'was complicated' and he would take me there for 30 baht. After weaving in and out of sois for 10 minutes we arrived at the hotel - which turned out to be 100 metres from where we started from - grrrrrr. The hotel was not really in the top 100 thai hotels- by a long shot!!!!
500 baht gets you a room with air con - dreadfully uncomfortable beds, a bathroom which makes you itch before you enter it - LOL - the tap swivelled quaintly when you tried to turn it on - no sink plug but there was a hot shower unit- earthed by sticking a wire into the bathroom wall !!!!!!! as is so common in Thailand. the main room door was like a shed door and had a 50 baht lock on it :( - but it was ok for one night I guess.

There were lots and lots of massage shops in the vicinity - some looked like massage shops, some didn't and some had girls sat inside on benches waiting for customers !

Next morning I grabbed a sonthaew to the village where the Ko Chang boats depart - 20 minutes (60 baht) only 40 if more people - but there was only 2 of us.
It was a strange set up really as the songthaew dropped us at a pier where we purchased our boat tickets (120 baht return trip or 80 baht one way) and we sat down for some breakfast whilst we waited for the boat.

At the allocated time - still no boat appeared but a man told us to follow him and we were ushered into another songthaew, and taken about a mile to another pier where a boat was waiting and the crew were amazed to see only 2 passengers but we set off anyway for the hours crossing.

On arrival at ko chang - we could see 3 piers - and we were dropped off at the most deserted one - so quiet, the other two seemed to be for car ferries. A lone songthaew who does the circuit of the Island took me to my (pre-booked) hotel. the road surface is good (unlike ko samet) however it is very hilly and there are some very steep hills and some hairpin bends too so have good brakes and a lot of faith in God LOL

It was evident driving throught the various beach 'resorts' that this was a very laid back Island and had very few shops/restaurants and souvenir sellers - thank goodness. There were no jet skis or banana boats either which was a relief too. what was eveident though was quite a lot of new construction work going on - mainly resort type-complexes for the better off visitor.

I rented a motorcycle for the day (150 -200 baht depending where you go) and went to as many different beaches as possible and there were some stunning views along the way - picture postcard blue waters with differing shades of blue around distant isolated islands - lovely :)
I found the beach mentioned in an earlier post with a long pier full of shops, restaurants and even some accomodation bungalows perched over the water - fantastic. Clear water with fish swimming below clearly visible.

There was no sense of tourist rip-offs and everything was sensibly priced. I just felt like in a few years the tourism is going to increase drastically, and the beach side bungalows, secluded palm trees, and laid back pace will all disappear :(

There seemed to be an Indian tailor in every seperate beach area ( a sure sign its gonna be like Phuket) and I counted 3 Indian resaturants - even confess to eating in one of them - well it was too good to miss the opportunity - a real indian, cooking real indian food - hmmm, reminds me of the 'curry' I tried at the Irish Clock recently. No need to say which was better!! - and i was full to burst for just 490 baht including 2 chang beers.

Much of ko Chang is National Park and most of this seemed to be inland (ie not the coastal areas) such as the waterfalls about 1km inland from the coast - and consequently to visit there you have to pay the much talked about 'entance charge' 20 baht for Thais and 200 baht for foreigners. To keep the blood pressure down I did not visit the waterfall - LOL actually there wasn't any need to as the beaches and exploring took up my time. There are some tourist 'shows' popping up such as elephant rides and monkey shows but its not my thing so I didn't go.

The cheapest accomodation I saw was a beach side thatched hut -aptly named 'poor bungalows' and were 60 baht per night. I saw one of the 'residents' emerging one day. can be summed up as 'hippie-type'

My accomodation was at the other end of the scale and published rate is 5000 baht per night but a little searching on the internet can reduce that by 50 or 60%. I paid almost the same rate for a concrete 10 foot square box on Ko Samet, with no breakfast, swimming pool or hot water.

Would I go again ? certainly would, no question but next time would arrive in Trat early enough to catch a boat the same day. I would also take a larger bottle of mosquito spray ! There is not much else i would do differently.

Like I mentioned - it reminded me of Phuket in the mid to late 80's. And look at the state that has got in now :(

Hope it inspires you
Regards
Paul 8

(See Ko Chang whilst it is still at its best :)

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » October 18, 2005, 8:57 pm

Thanks for that excellent review of your trip to Ko Chang, Paul. It's on my list of places to visit in Thailand now. Renting a motorcycle to see the island appeals to me along with not being pestered constantly by the vendors and jet ski operators like in Pattaya and the outlying islands there nowadays. Prices sound very reasonable, too.

Ok collal

Koh Chang

Post by Ok collal » January 14, 2006, 12:17 pm

Helo,
I'm thinking of going to this place, looking for somewhere peacefull, but within easy reach of a bar or 2 and live music.
Any suggestions :?: :?: :D :D

Return to “Central Thailand”