Bang Fai Phajanak

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 23, 2005, 10:41 am

If you don't want to sit on the slope you will have to get to the riverbank just as the sun sets(5.45 pm) to get a seat on the three rows of concrete steps. :)

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 3, 2005, 12:55 pm

The festival must be getting near as they are cutting the grass verges,putting in new cats eyes in the road and huge posters of our lovely MPs are going up along the road.

On the downside the cats eyes are not retractable and its like driving over a brick.O well,the thought is there. :)

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 4, 2005, 12:28 pm

Drove down to Phon Phisai yesterday and they have built six or seven large salas on the riverbank.A great shady place if you have small children or don't like the sun.I would get there very early though if you want a seat in one.A perfect grandstand view for the action at night.

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » October 5, 2005, 1:48 am

What time would be good the get a OK seat?

By the way great new avatar.
Punish the Liver

Mr. Bean

Post by Mr. Bean » October 5, 2005, 4:42 am

valentine wrote:Hi folks, just thought I would remind everyone that expressed an interest in the fireball festival at Phon Pisai, that its only 3 weeks away, October 17/18th this year.Accomodation gets booked up early.

Very few hotels around so, would suggest that if you are coming up get your rooms now. A lot of people book a year in advance.
I live up here and I don't even go out due to the fact of over 100,000 people.
But, it's a great show and watching the faces on the Thais remind me when I was a kid in the states on the 4th of July.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 5, 2005, 11:06 am

A seat in one of the sala,i guess in the morning.

A seat on the concrete steps,in the afternoon.

A seat on the river bank,early evening.

The local kids are already in the swing of it,throwing huge bangers over my garden wall.If i close my eyes and ignore the heat i could be in the UK leading up to November 5th.

Marcus

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 13, 2005, 2:38 pm

I'm told the Bung Fai fair has arrived in Phon Phisai,so if the kids are driving you crazy during half term you can stick them on the "lot bum" for an hour or two.20 Baht a go and always very nostalgic for me.

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » October 13, 2005, 5:06 pm

I passed a long boat today on the way back from Nong Khai. The town looks like something big is in the works I know I'm ready :wink:
Punish the Liver

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » October 14, 2005, 12:45 am

valentine wrote:Hi folks, just thought I would remind everyone that expressed an interest in the fireball festival at Phon Pisai, that its only 3 weeks away, October 17/18th this year.Accomodation gets booked up early.
Accomidations were full last week. This is a real big deal all along the river, we tried for rooms from NKP to Nong Kia. I was trying for some rooms for a party for the bike group where you could actually see soemthing. but it's titled something else the illuminated boat display, on the 17th and 18 th. So I'm going to try to book some rooms for 2006. The guys from the bike club are camping out in Pompasai someplace I'm told at a tobacco factory. I have to pass this year the old body ain't up to it yet.

Darn been here three years and finally got grasp of what is happeneing up there sounds great,

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 14, 2005, 11:42 am

It's great because every single one of the thousands of Thais sitting on the riverbank believes a monster is spitting fire from the river.They also see the Naga swimming by which i have always missed.Follow their gaze and screams when they point down to the river and you may see one. :)

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » October 14, 2005, 1:44 pm

if only the current wasn't so strong, or i could actually swim good. i'd get a tank of air and dive along the bank, just out of eye focus and they could all say they saw a naga. but with my luck, i'd end up in mukdahan or in a fishing net, or even better, run over by long tail.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 14, 2005, 2:04 pm

At this time of year there are also trails left in the mud on the riverbank by what i would guess is a large turtle,but to the locals it is Naga coming ashore.Great to see the faces of children as grandad shows them the monster's trail.The good thing is that such stories keep the kids away from the water.

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » October 14, 2005, 2:14 pm

OK I just had to add this as yesterday the family and I went to the Nong Khai market and Mom shows up to give me a picture of a Naga that was caught by the US Army in 1973. Very cool picture and I'm sure it may be found on the net somewhere.
Punish the Liver

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 14, 2005, 2:29 pm

Ever willing to rise to an internet challenge...or do I just have too much time on my hands?? :D
http://www.pantawee.dk/pajatrue.asp

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » October 14, 2005, 11:06 pm

Well found Bob, they also sell that pic in a few of the temples along the western side of Nong Khai all the way up to Si Chang Mai.

Just wish I was there to see this years big show :(

Garnet
udonmap.com

The Naga

Post by Garnet » October 15, 2005, 9:00 am

Garnet & Jack

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 15, 2005, 10:45 am

The banners are up,the lights are in place and the beer Chang tents have arrived so we must be close now.Chang is the sponsor of the festival so beer drinkers are made to suffer. :( Plenty of shops have fridges outside with decent beers in though. :)

Went down the fair last night and it has three of the biggest bouncy castles you will ever see,the one at the very rear could a hundred kids no trouble. Another has a blow up slide thirty foot high.

Garnet
udonmap.com

Beer Chang

Post by Garnet » October 15, 2005, 12:53 pm

Perhaps relatively irrelevant, but I read somewhere early this year that the company behind Beer Chang made a bid to get themselves onto the equivalent of the Thai stock exchange. If I remember rightly, they were shot down by the government--apparently, the company's image image was too 'unsalubrious' for their perceived image of what Thailand should represent!
Garnet & Jack

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 15, 2005, 1:33 pm

Beers do not come any more down market than Chang. :)

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » October 15, 2005, 3:22 pm

Marcus, is there any chance that you could take a few pics and post them on the board, would be nice to see what I'm missing :?

And whilst on the subject of Chang, why on earth did they sponsor Everton FC?? I really cannot understand what they gain from it...

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”