Bang Fai Phajanak

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 15, 2005, 3:45 pm

Sean, i agree that some pics would be good.
Everton & chang seems like a good fit with the way Everton are playing at the moment, both bottom of the league?? Joking aside, you are correct I certainly haven't seen anywhere selling Chang in the UK. waitrose do sell singha at ฃ2.49 (about 180 baht) for a large - 630ml - bottle. Might raise one this afternoon while you are all in the Clock :D

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 16, 2005, 10:44 am

If my digital camera has a good day i will see what i can do Sean.It has been playing up lately and gets through a set of batteries for a couple of pictures.

The Chang sponsorship is all about face,to show how a Thai company can afford the huge fees.It's about image rather than income generating.

A big pitcher of Chang is 99 Baht at the Chang beer tents. :-&

The locals are saying it might be a quiet festival this year due to the cost of fuel.People make huge journeys to get there and the price of petrol has trebled over a few years.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » October 16, 2005, 11:32 am

businessman wrote:If my digital camera has a good day i will see what i can do Sean.It has been playing up lately and gets through a set of batteries for a couple of pictures.

The Chang sponsorship is all about face,to show how a Thai company can afford the huge fees.It's about image rather than income generating.

A big pitcher of Chang is 99 Baht at the Chang beer tents. :-&

The locals are saying it might be a quiet festival this year due to the cost of fuel.People make huge journeys to get there and the price of petrol has trebled over a few years.
Speaking of Digital cameras I bought a cheapie at a trade show, as I don't know if I would enjoy them or not, takes great prictures but in the sun you can not see the screen so you really have no idea if your gettting the picture or not. Not knowing anything about them is this common or is it just time to step up tp a better camera?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 16, 2005, 2:35 pm

Ray, I guess that you are talking about a digital camera that takes 'movies' rather than one that just takes stills?? If so it is the most common fault with the cheapies that you don't have a separate view finder and that you have to look at the screen to see what you shoot. You are also right that these screens are impossible to look at when it is sunny. So you either buy expensive or do what I do and just point in the general direction and shoot...makes for some interesting viewing afterwards... :D

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » October 16, 2005, 3:31 pm

BobHelm wrote:Ray, I guess that you are talking about a digital camera that takes 'movies' rather than one that just takes stills?? If so it is the most common fault with the cheapies that you don't have a separate view finder and that you have to look at the screen to see what you shoot. You are also right that these screens are impossible to look at when it is sunny. So you either buy expensive or do what I do and just point in the general direction and shoot...makes for some interesting viewing afterwards... :D
Yo9u know it does takemovies now that I think of it, I wasn't really intersted in that but I go the darn thing for 3900 baht so I thouhgt it was worth a try. I have found that enjoy them a lot more then I thought I would so maybe I need to invest some more. Your suggestion of point and shoot might be OK, after all I'm not a pro by any means.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 16, 2005, 9:27 pm

Somewhere earlier in the thread i recommended the "soi sib bad" restaurant.Another good one is "im em" right on the river bank,serving a mixture of Thai/Laos/Vietnamese food.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » October 16, 2005, 11:20 pm

If my digital camera has a good day i will see what i can do Sean.
Thats great, look forward to seeing them.
It has been playing up lately and gets through a set of batteries for a couple of pictures.
It's not a Fuji A205 by any chance?? Apparently some of the older models seem to develop a fault over time, mine does exactly the same, even duracells only last about 10 snaps :?
But surely they will still come, but there will be 30 on the back of a pick up instead of the usual 10 :roll:

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 17, 2005, 10:40 am

But surely they will still come, but there will be 30 on the back of a pick up instead of the usual 10
The speed relatives are arriving i may surpass 30 on my own truck. :)

Lots of traffic this morning with people arriving before the masses tomorrow.

The car park i mentioned earlier in the thread is now a little further back behind the fun fair,but accessed on the same road as i mentioned before.

Not looking good for the camera.Maybe Thai-1-on can do the job. :(

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » October 17, 2005, 12:18 pm

LA has me a little nervous on the crowds. Marcus what do you think of parking the car in Nong Khai and getting a tuk-tuk or something to get us to the show?
Punish the Liver

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 17, 2005, 1:42 pm

When people talk of the crowds it was the mad year when the film about the fireballs came out.Every other year is bad traffic but not massive jams.If you are really worried you could park a km or so outside Phon Phisai and get a tuk tuk.From Nong Khai it would be 40km in a tuk tuk which would be murder. :(

If i was you i would drive through Phon Phisai and park a little way on the other side and walk back along the river.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » October 17, 2005, 10:05 pm

Thai_1_On wrote:what do you think of parking the car in Nong Khai and getting a tuk-tuk or something to get us to the show?
Would surely make the number 1 spot in the Journey from hell rankings :shock:

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » October 18, 2005, 9:50 am

The family is loading up and so am I so off to the show. For those going to the show I be wearing blue/gray t-shirt and camo long pants. Of course I'll be fully armed so as to fade into the crowd :roll: Check list beer, fireworks, beer, mat, beer, digital camera, beer, batteries, mp3 player, check complete here I come Phon Phisai :twisted:
Punish the Liver

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 18, 2005, 10:45 am

Got my Honda Wave out of storage for today although what my back will think at the end of the day i don't know. :)

At eleven this morning traffic was busy but not murder with a queue of twenty of so cars at each change of the traffic lights.There are many "big cheeses" coming for the show with dozens of motorcades blaring by.Down the front you cannot move for people walking,but the steps are clear due to the heat.

Tonight i shall look out for a crazy yank in his camo pants. :)

Last night had dinner on the river front and the proprietors daughters,four and five had a huge bag of rockets Daddy had bought.Daddy was working in the restaurant and so daughters had a free reign.Fun to watch but so dangerous for them and me eating my "gra duke moo",vietnamese style.(very salty)

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » October 19, 2005, 10:12 am

I was just a little south of the Naga statue down on the lowest step before the river bank. Got there at 4:00pm and the crowds hadn't arrived...yet :shock: Sometime aroung 6:00pm the crowd showed up in force and the place was packed. I'll post some pictures soon.

Sad to say I only saw a few fireballs and they were close to the shore and came out of the water and just skimmed across the top of the water. We left about 9:00pm as A was tired and disapointed. She heard on the radio as we got home around 12:00am still nothing :cry: Oh well only one let down on this trip so far and I cant complain. Besides I did my own Naga fireball show :twisted:
Punish the Liver

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 19, 2005, 11:20 am

Got a house full of disappointed relatives today as they saw no fireballs from their vantage point at Wat Luang.I hear there were just two in the town and one hundred and twenty in other parts. :(

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » October 19, 2005, 12:50 pm

Thai_1_On wrote:I was just a little south of the Naga statue down on the lowest step before the river bank. Got there at 4:00pm and the crowds hadn't arrived...yet :shock: Sometime aroung 6:00pm the crowd showed up in force and the place was packed. I'll post some pictures soon.

Sad to say I only saw a few fireballs and they were close to the shore and came out of the water and just skimmed across the top of the water. We left about 9:00pm as A was tired and disapointed. She heard on the radio as we got home around 12:00am still nothing :cry: Oh well only one let down on this trip so far and I cant complain. Besides I did my own Naga fireball show :twisted:
Disapppnted :?: Just talked my French freind down the street, they and the bike group spent the night camping in the Ponpasai area last night this is his third year he is of yet to see one fireball. Im told him need to drink moer Lao Whiskey to see them. I think thye had fun but thye were all so eadtired today hard to tell :wink:

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » October 19, 2005, 12:52 pm

a
Thai_1_On wrote:I was just a little south of the Naga statue down on the lowest step before the river bank. Got there at 4:00pm and the crowds hadn't arrived...yet :shock: Sometime aroung 6:00pm the crowd showed up in force and the place was packed. I'll post some pictures soon.

Disapppnted :?: Just talked my French freind down the street, they and the bike group spent the night camping in the Ponpasai area last night this is his third year he as of yet has not seen one fireball. Im told him needed to drink more Lao Whiskey to see them. I think they had fun but they were all so tired today hard to tell :wink:

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » October 20, 2005, 12:27 am

They must have known that I wasn't going to be in town, saving all the action for when I come ;)

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 20, 2005, 10:59 am

Sean,next year i am saying nothing. :)

valentine

Post by valentine » October 20, 2005, 3:19 pm

Don't know where you fellows were standing. The local paper reports over 150 fire balls starting from 6.00pm before it even got dark, viewed from the centre steps?Maybe , still in the bar?

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”