Car wash &Massage .

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
trubrit
udonmap.com

Car wash &Massage .

Post by trubrit » December 1, 2009, 9:27 pm

An unlikely combination. But next time you want your car washed try the place in the street alongside Udon prison .You get a first class job , including pressure washing the engine and the underneath all for just 120bht .Alongside the car wash is a traditional massage parlour offering foot or body massage for 100bht an hour .A wonderful way to pass the time while your motor is being cleaned .You also will get the satisfaction of knowing you have helped some of the staff to discover a better way of life . You see all of the workers are prisoners from the adjoining jail. They are nearing the end of their sentence and have been retrained while inside to prepare them, hopefully , to lead a straight life when finally discharged.
Now I have spoken to a lot of them. They are not embarrassed to tell you their past, so don't worry about that . They are grateful for the chance to start again .Plus they get to keep a little of their earnings and tips, which they can spend on food during their day release. You might guess , most buy som tum as a change from the brown rice prison diet , and the som tum sellers are also prisoners on day release .Only one small problem . The place closes at 4.30pm because they are locked back in their cells by 5.Give it a try. Don't think you will be disappointed .
One thing further . If anyone is looking for the heavy , solid wood furniture at good prices . There is also a shop at the front of the prison selling it . All made in the workshops by inmates .
In case anyone is worried. All the establishments have warder supervision. You won't know who as they wear plain clothes . as do the inmates .I'll give you a clue though .Watch who takes the money. :lol:
Put in things to do as Ifeel it is a chance to see another side of the local community as well as getting a good massage .Almost forgot. If you take your lady with you they also have a hairdresser and beautician salon .

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Car wash &Massage .

Post by jackspratt » December 1, 2009, 9:35 pm

When I read the thread title my immediate thought went ( :oops: ) to happy endings.

But I have decided not to pursue that line of enquiry :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 1, 2009, 11:12 pm

Free Advertising .

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 2, 2009, 5:48 am

Do you tip them,and if so,do you think the guards keep the money?

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » December 2, 2009, 6:08 am

BKKSTAN wrote:Do you tip them,and if so,do you think the guards keep the money?
For myself Stan . Yes to the first , no to the second. They naturally welcome a small tip, but it is in no way obligatory.
They use that money to purchase the things in life we take for granted, but to someone incarcerated in prison, becomes a luxury. Yesterday I witnessed my masseuse buy a toothbrush .They are not allowed to take cash back into jail. I can see where your coming from with the second part of the question , it fits in with your oft repeated view of police in general .I can tell you . If a guard was stupid enough to try and extort money from his/her charges, they wouldn't be a guard for very long .They would be at least a patient in the general ward .
Wazza. Free publicity? The only establishment name mentioned , was the prison . Do you really think that needs publicity?
I think they must be the only business in Udon that would welcome fewer customers . :lol:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 2, 2009, 10:17 am

I didn't think they were allowed to take cash into the prison,that is why I asked.When I tip,I like to know that the person or persons I tip get to keep it!Thanks! :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 2, 2009, 10:30 am

The Prison ( Thai Justice Department or similar name ) are running a private enterprise business, competing on the open market with other operators. They probably get free electricty and water, therfore having a commercial advantage over private service providers. Dont need Public liabilty insurances.

Im not condoning the rehab issue, but monies are gained using public facilities that are possibly subsidised. Therefore they have received free advertising for this venture.

homer
udonmap.com

Post by homer » December 2, 2009, 2:29 pm

wazza wrote:The Prison ( Thai Justice Department or similar name ) are running a private enterprise business, competing on the open market with other operators. They probably get free electricty and water, therfore having a commercial advantage over private service providers. Dont need Public liabilty insurances.

Im not condoning the rehab issue, but monies are gained using public facilities that are possibly subsidised. Therefore they have received free advertising for this venture.
Wazza, While I can see your point that they have received free advertising, we don't really know if they are "possibly" susidised, or if the monies received are being used for payment of the above. I think Trubrit's post was intended to give a look at something positive happening in the community. If the intention of the Correction's facility is to help rehabilitate these people through retraining, and give them something to look forward to when they leave prison, I think they should be commended for it. I for one would have no problem supporting something like that as I don't view it as a private enterprise in the traditional sense of the word IMHO.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » December 2, 2009, 2:59 pm

Well to raise so much concern Iguess you must have either a massage parlour or a car wash .
You say you don't condone rehab. May I ask with what would you replace it? It is simple economics really . The prison has an abundance of labour but very little money. They want to help those shortly going back into the community to learn a skill that hopefully will give them a living so they don't have cause to re offend . So what better way to utilise that labour ,than to provide a training and job experience program that with a small charge can be self sufficient .Surely you don't expect it to be free just because they are rehabilitating ex offenders .?Or do you?
My purpose of posting the details on here are twofold . Firstly to tell members where they can get a good car wash and at the same time enjoy a massage .Secondly to give support and encouragement to the people who will be struggling to earn a living upon release without any job skills .You will notice I posted it under Out and about in Udon .That's because I thought that others may be interested in seeing for themselves the effort that's going into preventing offenders re-offending as well as the hard work that the prisoners are putting in to learn a trade .
I have no idea about public liability insurance . I would guess they do have for both prisoners and general public. You seem to have insider knowledge if you say it isn't required .
I am sure Lee will delete this if he feels I am advertising a commercial venture, rather than promoting a public welfare program .
In the final analysis I am not twisting anyone's arm to go there .

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » December 2, 2009, 3:10 pm

I've had my car washed there several times, and the wife got a massage once. She wasn't particular impressed with the massage, but I'm generally happy with the car washes.

Unfair competition, hum? I'll have to take a look and see if they have an electric meter and a water meter next visit. I'll bet dollars to donuts that they do. Oh, but maybe a donut is more than a dollar these days.

Free advertising, now it's just getting silly. Moderators please insist on them becoming a sponsor or delete this thread.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 2, 2009, 5:51 pm

Advertising gentlemen do not be so stupid, the furniture shop has been there as long ass I have 6-7 years, the only new project is the car wash and massage.
More power to the authorities for trying tio assist them in rehabilitan and if it is considered as free advertisingg by the Mods that is one decision amongst othgers that they will have got wrong.

The prison is NOT, I repeat Not a nice place to be in let alone visit which i have done on numerous occasions. Any help we can give should be aplauded, so recomdations I will go and see, thanks for highlighting it.
Lee this is not FREE advertising it is Farangs helping others OK.

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”