Model Railway club

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
GEC
udonmap.com

Model Railway club

Post by GEC » December 20, 2009, 4:15 pm

Hi..I was wondering, after seeing the last post about the Dungeon's & Dragon's club that has formed, if there was a model Railway Club in Udon, or has anyone got a model railway set up in their garage etc.

My husband and I will be in Udon in the next few weeks and that would be another outlet for him to attend, or talk about to like minded people. Anyone [-o< :lol:

Thanks.

Glen

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Model Railway club

Post by stattointhailand » December 20, 2009, 5:25 pm

Can't say for certain, but I very much doubt it. On my odd visits to the "toy shops" in and arounnd Udon, the nearest thing I've seen would only just about get classed as a toy train set.
With the electrics over here any model railway would be far less reliable than the Eurostar :-"

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » December 21, 2009, 1:03 am

Planning for a large one in the basement, but not until early 2011 after the house is built. My surrogate grandfather had one in his basement that he built over the course of 50+ years. The highlight of my visits was to do the housework chores as quickly as possible so he would let me switch the trains from one track to another taking it through any of 3 complete miniature towns, through tunnels, and over mountains. I can't wait to share the experience with my kids, too!

If you are around in 2011, I would love to discuss and learn. Cheers! ;)

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » December 21, 2009, 8:44 am

Biggest problem I see is getting the model RR equipment. I left a large collection back in the USA. Never sold it just in storage at my families warehouse. A club would be the best way to have something like this a the members could pool there resources and have a reason to meet regularly. I never did hand laid track but layout wiring was my strong suit.

You all really know how to make me miss living in Udon! :cry:

scouseboy
udonmap.com

Post by scouseboy » December 23, 2009, 7:51 pm

I have never seen model railway equipment for sale in Thailand apart from in a model shop in I think UN trade centre in Bangkok. This was all German Fleischmann equipment. Also I don't know how the equipment would stand up to the tropical conditions in Thailand as I seem to remember reading somewhere that Hornby Dublo equipment was speciall packaged for export to the more tropical parts of the British Empire because of humid conditions.
I seem to remember though seeing on the UK model railway site RM web that somebody has an extensive O guage layout in Northern Thailand.
Although a club is an excellent idea and another good reason to return to Udon Thani in 2011.

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”