Ho Chi Minh Educational Center Udon Thani

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » May 26, 2010, 11:59 am

Ho Chi Mihn Education Center Udon Thani is located approximately 10kms west of Udon Thani on the Udon Kudjab road.
The center is set up to provide information about Ho Chi Mihn who resided here for a short while from 1928 to 1929.
A replica of Ho Chi Mihns's living quarters has been constructed on the site and a new museum is currently under construction. The owners say it will be ready by the end of the year.

At present the center lacks information/artifacts so I would recommend waiting until the new building is open.
hochimihn_udonthani.jpg
Ho Chi Minh Educational Center
hochimihn_udonthani.jpg (82.67 KiB) Viewed 8945 times
hochimihn_udonthani2.jpg
Ho Chi Minh Educational Center
hochimihn_udonthani2.jpg (74.29 KiB) Viewed 8945 times
hochimihn_udonthani3.jpg
hochimihn_udonthani3.jpg (80.55 KiB) Viewed 8945 times

trubrit
udonmap.com

Re: Ho Chi Minh Educational Center Udon Thani

Post by trubrit » May 26, 2010, 12:14 pm

Just a small point . The music on the video is so loud its difficult to hear the commentary .

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » May 26, 2010, 4:13 pm

Good point, I'll keep that in mind for future videos. ;)

Here's another video produced by a Vietnamese news channel:

fried rice

Post by fried rice » June 21, 2010, 9:27 pm

It is located in Nong On village just past Chang Phin heading towards Kut Chap. Our farm and house are located real close to it. When we are in Thailand we walk over there and check things out but usually there is noone around. We will be back in August for a couple months and will certainly walk over for a visit. Any updates on the new center I will certainly update you'll.

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » June 21, 2010, 11:37 pm

fried rice wrote: usually there is noone around.
Who's Noone? ... Do they speak English? :lol: :lol: :lol:

fried rice

Post by fried rice » June 22, 2010, 3:53 am

Oh Damnit, sorry there is nobody named noone. I forgot the space. Silly mistake, I will slam some beer as self punishment for my grammar error. :-D

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » June 22, 2010, 7:49 am

It is difficult for me to celebrate ''Uncle Ho'' in any manner with the thought of the American losses incurred in VN,,whether the war was wrong or not!Respect him as a leader of his people,but celebrate events or venues is his name.I don't think so! :roll:

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » June 22, 2010, 11:58 am

I agree with your view, nk. It would give me an uneasy, queasy and even disloyal feeling to visit these HCM venues in Northeast Thailand. I was in the military in the early 60s but never served in VN. Closest I came was working as a civilian at the airbases in Thailand but the same goes for visiting Hanoi, Danang, Hue or wherever. Well, might make an exception and visit Saigon someday. ;)

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 22, 2010, 7:39 pm

I know that NKP claims Ho Chi Minh as a resident back in 1928-1929, but can't find anything that points to his staying in Udon. Wonder if he was just a visitor.
If anyone can snap a photo of some documentation concerning his stay in Udon, I'll do my best to translate it.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » July 7, 2010, 7:56 am

I do respect your ways of thinking Polehawk and Stan. Just as a small look from the other side.

I have been to Viet Nam several times of late. On one of my trips to Hanoi, I ran into a North Vietnamese Army Veteran during the war as he actually provided me with a bit to think about. He was regular army and not one of Ho's boys. As we talked he told me about how he believed that after the war surely to the victor go the spoils. He figured that he would be welcomed back to Hanoi with parades and general celebrations. He also thought that being the victor brought the spoils of war. He was looking to go home find some work and settle down with his wife.

He told me that all the above was just again propaganda put out by his gov't. As he told me he expected more. He said that they won the war but went through 25 years of pure hell of not having enough to eat and never enough for a few luxuries in life. I am not so sure this vet felt any great sense of winning the war. Maybe he was only one and the opinions are not shared by all in Viet Nam, however in my travels there, it has truely been an eye opener of what might have really happened.

Another incident happend in Hanoi of interest. I was out walking around a lake in Hanoi (has many lakes) and as i rounded the lake there was a protest going on. As I do not understand Vietnamese, I am not sure what they were protesting. I noticed a lot of police around, so thought I would sit and just watch. About 5 minutes later several buses pulled up and out pops police and military types. They announced something over a bull horn and what ever it was did not make these people happy as they got really loud. The police and military types then started putting the demonstrators on the buses and when I say putting, they were not going of their own free will. I saw two women being pulled by their hair and many batons flying off off folks bodies and heads. About that time one of the police approached me, as I had my camera over my shoulder but not taking pictures at all (I knew better) and demanded my film. This was not an offer but a demand and he got the film with no problem from me. I was then told to return to my hotel. Still don't know what they were protesting but I can say there is no real protest going to happen in Hanoi.

In saying all this, I did meet some very nice folks in Viet Nam and email one couple even now. I did not feel like going put any disrespect towards anyone. Again I do understand your position.

I do not know if you guys have been to Beijing (Peking) but I was startled by another thing I found in a communist country. Do you remember the protester in Tienaman (please forgive spelling) Square staring at a tank. He either had to be the biggest darn fool or really believed in what he was doing along with the rest of the protesters. While there I realized as you enter the square there is no exits except for like single lanes out each cornor. By the way the square is something like 500meters by 300 meters (just guessing) and it was packed with people. In other words no where to go.

I feel like as a person goes to different places in the world he/she has a chance to spread a bit of cheer. By letting others see you they will have a much better chance of getting their own choice of gov't correct. Mine sure is not doing well and I hope better for the future. By seeing others I have a different view of what is important.

I support our Veterans and always will. =D> =D> =D>

snowman
udonmap.com

Post by snowman » July 8, 2010, 1:42 am

nkstan I like your post on the subject. I was stationed in NKP and remember the HO clock and thought why? And now an Ed. center in Udon, and I think why? To me it is just a sharp stick in the eye. :roll: :-&

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 8, 2010, 9:53 am

"remember the HO clock" "and I think why?"

There's a variety of info on Vietnamese migration into Thailand when the French colonized Vietnam. Some historical info available at http://phupan.multiply.com/reviews/item/2 .
I believe the clock tower in NKP was in honor of those Vietnamese who returned to their homeland after the French were given the boot. No connection to Ho as far as I know......just a convenient way for the GIs to refer to a landmark.

Doug
udonmap.com

Post by Doug » August 26, 2010, 2:56 pm

I'm working over in Vietnam at the moment and i live up near Nong Khai.

One of the most amazing things I've found over there is that there is no ill-feeling towards Americans.There is a huge amount of it towards the Chinese and to a lesser degree the French.
They admire the US and use it as a reference for what a country can aspire to become. Kids stand up in school stating they wish to go to the US and learn more about it so that they can help their own country.
I'm not trying to wave any flags here; I'm a Brit.
The fact is that Uncle Ho has almost a God-like status over there. The other facts are that through conflict, wars, peoples courts, executions, assassinations and an overwhelming death rate from starvation left anywhere between 10 and 30 million dead. Most from the enforcement of communist ideals/programs.
i.e. the declared victory saved him from being tarred with the same brush as the Nazis, Idi Amin, Pol Pot etc............
Ghandi achieved the same thing and is rightly revered.

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » January 3, 2015, 8:58 am

Hi
Does anyone have a good set of directions to this museum.
Thanks Barry

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » January 3, 2015, 9:38 am

Take the road (road no. 2263) to Kut Chap from the ring road (vicinity of the airport turnoff) and you'll see plenty of road signs in English directing you to the musuem. BTW: There's not very much to see other than some recreated huts where Ho apparently slept and conducted some meetings. The museum itself has numerous photos but not much else. I've visited it several times over the years with friends even before the new building was erected.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » January 4, 2015, 8:50 am

Thanks for that, I'd been there but not remember where, I want to show some friends.

milkman
udonmap.com

Was Ho Chi Minh Born in Udonthani?

Post by milkman » June 24, 2016, 5:04 pm

Guys, I've been in Ho Chi Minh City for the past two months. So imagine my surprise today when I'm riding on the Ring Road towards the Airport in Udon and I see a sign that reads "Ho Chi Minh Memorial Site." Now what do you suppose that's all about? Was Father Ho born here? Did he plot his comeback against the Americans here? If you know, please do share.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » June 24, 2016, 5:07 pm

See existing topic: A bit dated but probably still relevant.

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/h ... l?hilit=ho chi minh

ladda3904
udonmap.com

Post by ladda3904 » June 24, 2016, 5:43 pm

Not born in Udon Thani but lived here around 1928 29. Also lived in the US for a time around 1912-13. Believed to have lived in Harlem or Boston.

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » June 24, 2016, 8:07 pm

Uncle Ho did live in Thailand for a short period while in exile, though his residence was over in Nakhon Phanom.

Ban Na Chok (Ho Chi Minh’s House) .... Nakhon Phanom–Sakon Nakhon Rd., Na Rat Khwai, Muang Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Phanom

The Ho Museum here was built and opened a while back, and is a carbon copy of the 'residence museum' in NP. Because of the high Vietnamese presence here, they made a duplicate. Been to both, and the one at NK a couple times, and was interesting, for me, though not much there, and still has the coconut tree Uncle Ho planted.... :roll: The one in Udon isn't kept up well.
He then returned to Asia by way of Brussels, Berlin, Switzerland, and Italy, where he sailed to Bangkok, Thailand, arriving in July 1928. "Although we have been separated for almost a year, our feelings for each other do not have to be said in order to be felt", he reassured Minh in an intercepted letter. In this period, he served as a senior agent undertaking Comintern activities in Southeast Asia.

He remained in Thailand, staying in the Thai village of Nachok, until late 1929 when he moved on to India, then Shanghai.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ho_Chi_Minh

Surprisingly the one in UT, gets more press than the original.........go figure.

Ho's Museum in Udon:

http://www.udonthaniattractions.com/ho- ... -park.html

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/h ... 17379.html

Image :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”