Fishing in and around Udon

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
rick
udonmap.com

Fishing in and around Udon

Post by rick » March 16, 2011, 1:33 pm

It seems it is a while since we had any other posts about fishing apart from Sabai Sabai. Apart from there and Saman farm and my own Orchid Hut, have not fished anywhere else, largely as a result of lack of information. Know about a place called Victory park in Nong Khai, but also there is Nong Sai (is it still open?) another place i think called 555 and have heard mention of 1 or 2 others, but no-one seems to advertise much (well, not in English). So what alternatives do we have?

can anyone give more information? Maybe too good to tell others?

DermotC
udonmap.com

Re: Fishing in and around Udon

Post by DermotC » March 16, 2011, 5:00 pm

Rick, besides your place, Sabai Sabai, Saman Farm once and V.S. fishing park in Nong Khai I havent fished anywhere else. Ive heard of Nong Sai and I believe its still open but having problems of some sort. Indeed Id be interested in hearing anyone else also.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » March 16, 2011, 7:55 pm

There’s also a place at Nam Som called Sunshine Lakeside Resort; I've been there a good lot and had good and bad days at the fishing. It’s a great weekend away from the hustle and bustle of Udon. The owners, Donal and his wife are great people to get on with and the bungalows are in good shape. (Yes it's Donal & not Donald)
There is also a place somewhere near Ta-bo which I still have to find. Another place is out the Sakon Sakon Rd about 5 clicks from Big C. On the left you will see a Shell Garage, after the Shell garage do a U turn and you will see the sign directing you into the park on your left.

Flo
udonmap.com

Post by Flo » March 18, 2011, 11:43 am

There is a very good location just outside Udon. There are some real big fish in there. It`s on the road to Sakhon Nakhon coming back into town, opposite of Sukaseem Village. Turn into the small road after the recycling company and follow the road for about 800 meters, then turn left at the sign Luckana Lake. There is a sign on the main road as well that indicates where the place is.

cambsangler
udonmap.com

Post by cambsangler » March 18, 2011, 11:46 am

Nong Sai is open and has been fishing quite well over the last 6 weeks or so after they finally re-stocked it.
However, I think most of those stock fish have been caught, taken and eaten as it is mostly smaller fish getting hooked.

There is another lake heading towards Sam Phrao, adjacent to a cement works on the RHS side of the road, approx 2-3km from the ring road. Right oppoosite some new bungalows there is a turning to the cement works. Follow that road for about 300m and the lake is on the left. Packed with Catfish that are happy to feed just below the surface or on the bottom (wherever the food is!) There are other species in their but are not caught as often.

Costs 100 baht a day with the first 2kg of fish free to take BUT you can not take the Catfish.

About 50m from this lake, there is another newly owned, small fishery. I know nothing about it yet as I have not tried it.

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » March 18, 2011, 12:09 pm

Wee Jimmy Take note, you are driving!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 18, 2011, 2:14 pm

Could always try Huai Luang Reservoir if you want to catch some 'wild' stuff.
Best to take your own 'cover' though as it is pretty exposed up there..

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » March 18, 2011, 4:50 pm

Hey Bob, any more info on this place, species etc?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 18, 2011, 5:42 pm

It is not 'stocked' Dermot, so you are going to get natural Thai lake species only.
Part of the reservoir is used for 'fish farming' so I guess there are 'escapees' from that as well. :D
I have been a few times but have only caught smallish (less than 1 kilo) pla variety although I am assured that there is some large stuff there.
To be honest it might be a place where fishing from a boat might be a good option, but I have never tried that.
Get a reasonable number of Thai rod fishing it (less than 10 on the days I have been) but it is a huge area so no rubbing shoulders with the next man if you don't want to.
The last couple of times I went there was a oldish Thai lady net fishing from the side, she got enough 0.5 kilo up to fill a bucket after a couple of hours.
Certainly not the place to go if you like to catch a lot of fish, but a different idea if you get fed up of the parks..

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » March 18, 2011, 6:58 pm

I mostly did wild fishing at home Bob and there is a definate attraction about it, for one the fish tend to fight harder!

I think Ill head up one day soon for a day just to have a go. Ill put a couple rods out and see what happens. Ill let you know. Thanks

wayne747
udonmap.com

Post by wayne747 » March 18, 2011, 7:07 pm

Flo wrote:There is a very good location just outside Udon. There are some real big fish in there. It`s on the road to Sakhon Nakhon coming back into town, opposite of Sukaseem Village. Turn into the small road after the recycling company and follow the road for about 800 meters, then turn left at the sign Luckana Lake. There is a sign on the main road as well that indicates where the place is.
That was a great link, very informative and nice with gps positions on fishing lakes.

I got lost once and happened upon a very "local looking" lake at
N 17deg 25'04.00"
E 102 deg 52'11.06"
I did not fish there, though, but it looked nice enough. Had a small shop and some thai fishermen scattered around the lake.
It is 2 km east of Nong Sai town (not Nong sai fishing lake, but the town)

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » March 18, 2011, 7:19 pm

Wayne and Flo, Nice links there. Lots of places I never heard of. Always looking for new spots. Cool enough!

johnty.
udonmap.com

Post by johnty. » March 18, 2011, 8:02 pm

Hi Dermot,i have tried luckana lakes on 2 occasions and the only bite i got was from mosquitoes. As for the reservoir,i took a friend with me to find the place,the good old thai people at ALL the shop houses on the way kept saying,3 clicks more,5 clicks more,3clicks more......we eventually ended up(2hours)later in a small town and when we asked at the local honda garage about the reservoir,the guy himself took us there,a lovely environment but when we got back to HARRYS bar at the ring road and told him where we had spent the day he just smiled and told us we could fish there for the next 2 weeks(24 hours a day) and we would be lucky to even catch an old bike tyre,suffice to say we took his advice and did'nt go back,up to you dermot,but if you do decide to try it please post your findings,chok dee ,Johnty......p.s.had a day out at Sabai Sabai on Tuesday,7 of us went for a day of fishing(guess who had the best tally of the day????),maybe i will get another negative post but again he will get no response.....i know he is only pretending to act the t*at but he does it really well,especially for a person with an I.Q. of 21,bye for now mate,johnty.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 18, 2011, 8:21 pm

Come on Johnty it is not that difficult to find....even I managed it... :D :D
Attachments
Map.jpg

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » March 18, 2011, 8:29 pm

johnty. wrote:Hi Dermot,i have tried luckana lakes on 2 occasions and the only bite i got was from mosquitoes. As for the reservoir,i took a friend with me to find the place,the good old thai people at ALL the shop houses on the way kept saying,3 clicks more,5 clicks more,3clicks more......we eventually ended up(2hours)later in a small town and when we asked at the local honda garage about the reservoir,the guy himself took us there,a lovely environment but when we got back to HARRYS bar at the ring road and told him where we had spent the day he just smiled and told us we could fish there for the next 2 weeks(24 hours a day) and we would be lucky to even catch an old bike tyre,suffice to say we took his advice and did'nt go back,up to you dermot,but if you do decide to try it please post your findings,chok dee ,Johnty......p.s.had a day out at Sabai Sabai on Tuesday,7 of us went for a day of fishing(guess who had the best tally of the day????),maybe i will get another negative post but again he will get no response.....i know he is only pretending to act the t*at but he does it really well,especially for a person with an I.Q. of 21,bye for now mate,johnty.
Hey Jonty! Was wondering if you were still here.....Ill take your advice about the dam. From what Ive been told most wild fisheries are fished out here but you never know If Im bored one day Ill head up. Glad you had a good day out at Sabai Sabai. I have a relative here at the moment so I havent been out much as of the last week.

Im trying to explain the finer point of life to that particular person on another thread at the moment, not having much luck, lol!

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 19, 2011, 2:52 pm

Thanks for the replies, i think we have the making of a decent list of fisheries starting. Of course, some are better than others. This information has helped fill some of the gaps. The Huai Luang dam sounds interesting, may never be easy, but you know (well hope) there is always something bigger out there to keep you going. Now, all we need is some decent river fishing...

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » March 20, 2011, 6:16 pm

Found another fishing venue today Called Kitchen a Gong/Fishing park a Gong which is just out of Udon on the Nong Khai road. We fished for 5 hours and didn’t catch anything. There was about 15 Thai’s there and some of them caught fish, Planine and Jeramide. Although they weren’t very big it did show that there were fish in the lakes. We were also told that the lake would be stocked with about 25,000 Baht’s worth of fish on the 23/03 (Wed). As this place is not far from my home I think I will go and see if it does get stocked.

The food was good and cheep also:-
Fried rice and pork 35 Baht.
Prakha Pow 35 Baht,.
Large Leo 55 Baht.

We were charged 50 Baht per rod for the 5 hours we fished. If

Directions: -
Drive out of Udon on the Nong Khai road until you get to Jotun Paints. After Jotun take the first “U turn” and drive back in the Udon direction until you pass the garage on your left, at this point look for the first left turn and you will find the place up that road about 150 metres on the left.
If I can manage to upload a picture of the sign into the place I will.

My interpretation of the name is:-
ครัวอากงสมหวัง Kitchen a Gong
บ่อตกปลาอากง Fishing Park a Gong
Tel:- 084989 9012
Attachments
CIMG0269.JPG
CIMG0269.JPG (44.39 KiB) Viewed 4154 times

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » March 20, 2011, 6:28 pm

God damn it Jimmy. Ive been out of the game for a weekand you have already found someone else....Whats this we crap?????? lol

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » March 20, 2011, 6:46 pm

The wife & grandaughter.

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » March 21, 2011, 12:05 am

Glad to hear it James! Will give you a bell shortly. Im having withdrawel symtoms from far to little fishing!

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”