Ban That Rocket Festival input requested

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
glalt
udonmap.com

Re: Ban That Rocket Festival input requested

Post by glalt » May 17, 2022, 7:04 pm

A small village, (Phon Pai) contends that they originally started the rocket festival. A city across the river. (Yasothon) says they started it. There are still fist fights. That aside, that festival was one of the best times I have ever had upcountry in Thailand. Lots of drinking and lots of wagers. It rained big time. I had a little four wheel drive Suzuki. Many pickup trucks were stuck in the mud. That little Suzuki pulled out quite a few of them. I wouldn't take any money but the people I helped insisted that I have a drink with them. Too many drinks and I was wasted but what a great time.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 17, 2022, 7:23 pm

I think I must be missing something here ...... I've had a look at several videos, and one question springs to mind ...... WHY?
What's the point? You can go to the shops and buy a Brocks or Standard (other firework producing companies are available) rocket that will not only make a ten times better spectacle, but are also available in dozens of different colours and designs. So if they are not built to be "pretty", and they are not built to be a lethal weapon (they are not deliberately aimed at anyone), what other reason could there possibly be?

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » May 17, 2022, 8:02 pm

At the wife's village it's about money. Heavy betting on the the rockets.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 17, 2022, 8:17 pm

Would have thought a pack of playing cards or half a doz snails with numbers painted on their shells would be a more sensible option

Mind you Rockets are "yai proof" :-k
Imagine training a snail for 11 months and then Yai finds it and cooks it :-& ](*,)

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » May 18, 2022, 4:52 am

If it's not been mentioned already, I believe the original idea was that the rockets would help to bring rain for the rice growing season.

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 18, 2022, 6:16 am

stattointhailand wrote:
May 17, 2022, 7:23 pm
what other reason could there possibly be? .. . ..
why do brits race motorbikes around the isle of man every year. people must perish annually in that event. the danger , being on adrenaline edge ?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 18, 2022, 7:13 am

Because all the major motorbike bosses will be watching, and theres a chance they will make some aspiring kid into a multi millionaire on the MotorGP/Superbike circuit.
I somehow doubt that Elon Musk's SpaceX scouts will be in the crowd at Ban That ready to whisk the winner to their HQ to make him Rocket Scientist of the year ..... I could be wrong

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 18, 2022, 7:38 am

fair dinkum, there is a higher purpose. even at that
lower club level. sponsorship must be essential

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 18, 2022, 10:58 am

stattointhailand wrote:
May 17, 2022, 7:23 pm
I think I must be missing something here ...... I've had a look at several videos, and one question springs to mind ...... WHY?
What's the point? You can go to the shops and buy a Brocks or Standard (other firework producing companies are available) rocket that will not only make a ten times better spectacle, but are also available in dozens of different colours and designs. So if they are not built to be "pretty", and they are not built to be a lethal weapon (they are not deliberately aimed at anyone), what other reason could there possibly be?
The point being that these rockets are hand made and it takes a lot of skill to get everything just right. If the black powder is too dry the rocket explodes and too wet the rocket fizzles. I was there the first year that they used electric detonators. The guy who pushed the button was in a foxhole in case it exploded.

It's just a lot of fun. Those rockets sound like a 747 taking off. Good rockets go above the clouds so not only are they judged on how high they go but how straight they fly. How could you wager on commercial fireworks?

phen
udonmap.com

Post by phen » May 22, 2022, 7:49 am

Nong Wua So rocket festival started yesterday.
https://www.facebook.com/NongWuaSoUpdate

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 22, 2022, 12:09 pm

Seen on the ring road today. Heading to the space station?
Attachments
Screenshot_20220522-120642_Gallery.jpg

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 22, 2022, 12:19 pm

Is that the new Hilux with the Acme Road Runner Booster fitted?

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”