Which is your favourite Udon Thani tourist attraction?

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.

Ban Chiang World Heritage Site
18%
Udon Thani Sunshine Orchid farm
No votes
Phu Phra Bat National Park
14%
Khum Chanod Forest Temple
9%
Phu Foilom Park
23%
Than Ngam Waterfall Park
9%
Huai Luang Dam
5%
Ban Na Kha Handicraft Silk Village
No votes
Other not mentioned here...
23%

Total votes: 22

admin
Admin

Post by admin » July 10, 2005, 5:11 pm

We're going poll crazy LOL :lol:

We'd just like to know which of Udon's tourist attractions is your favourite?

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » July 10, 2005, 6:53 pm

The Bronze age settlement at Ban Chiang is worth a look, very good museum, village is well kept due to the money spent here by tour groups and school trips. No mangy dogs, clean streets and nice places to eat. Buy a few Ban Chiang pots for the garden or inside the home. Only one gripe, there is a duel pricing policy to get in the museum. :evil:

Tony
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » July 11, 2005, 1:23 am

Cant comment yet as I haven't seen any of em...

That Ubolrat dam near KK is a pretty place though ;)

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 11, 2005, 11:17 am

Prenders:

What is the cost of the dual pricing (Thai/Foreigner) at Ban Chiang - and did you try the Thai Driving Licence ploy ? if so did it work ?

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 11, 2005, 4:50 pm

it's minimal, thai 10 baht, farang 20 or 30, so i didn't try the license thing. been there a couple times, the dig part was not open last 2 times, although it was nothing special, but interesting for kid to see. the museum is small but nice, good day out, and pick up some soveniers across the street. coming out of museum, ladies on left hand corner have best selection and price, actually 2 shops, one on corner and right next door. i buy all my stuff from next door one, good prices as she owns the building so her cost are less. haven't sampled any restaurants in the area.

Loaded
udonmap.com

Post by Loaded » July 12, 2005, 1:48 am

Phu Foilom Park for sure, Ban Chiang World Heritage Site not to bad either, if you in to some history!

Night time, Wolverine or soi 2. That

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » July 12, 2005, 3:36 am

Paul,
I have not tried the Thai driving licence yet, I'll do that when I move to Udon Thani. We have friends in Ban Chaing, they were more angry than me about the double pricing, they wanted to show me the museam.

Ubol Rattana Lake is great day out, you sit in a Bamboo hut on the edge of the lake, in front of a line of kitchens who take care of their own "Beach Huts" The food is very good, you can hire a tube or have a go on the banana towed behind a jet ski. Each complex has a car park behind the huts, and toilets which are rather grim, the old hole in floor type with water scoop. There are various resorts around the lake, I can see this place developing in the next few years. A good day trip for the Forumites!! :D Needs more marketing by the Thai Tourist Office.

Tony
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 12, 2005, 5:46 pm

Phu Tok - the other side of nong Khai is a pretty good day trip.
its a mountain with a temple on the top (and lots of steps up to it) however once at the top, or thereabouts there is a walkway constructed all the way around the top of the mountain and you quite literally are walking on a wooden framed walkway with a sheer drop below you (dont look down , or through the gaps in the wood) however the views are breathtaking. There is also a huge round rock precariously perched atop a much smaller rock and looks as if it could tumble down at any moment - although it has probrable been like that for ages - someone has built a small hut underneath and this makes it look like the rock has landed on the roof of the hut - spectacular :)

Paul

mjohncoady

Post by mjohncoady » July 13, 2005, 9:22 pm

Prenders88 wrote: Only one gripe, there is a duel pricing policy to get in the museum.
When I was stationed in Nonsoong, right around the end of the Bronze Age, we paid 2 baht to ride what we called the leo-leo bus in to town. (I cannot recall the correct spelling of the actual name but it is one of those little pick-ups with wooden benches in the back). The Thais paid 1 baht. Even guys I knew who were highly critical of all things Thai accepted the difference as reasonable. 1) We were foreigners and we were rich. ( in Thailand, anyway). 2) We were riding alongside of the people who mopped our floors and washed our clothes. 3) That was just the way things were.

I realize that everyone has different budgeting constraints and perhaps the extra 10 baht are a strain. Or perhaps, it's simply that sense of justice that accompanies situations like this -- like buying a car knowing full well that your neighbor could come in next week and get a better price. However, a slight adjustment in viewpoint can alleviate unnecessary mental anguish. I'll bet even money this is far from the most egregious insult visited on tourists and expats by either the government or by the larger society.

By the way, I have encountered this same practice in Central America. A tourist trap is just a tourist trap, I guess. :lol:

briang
udonmap.com

Phu Tok

Post by briang » July 14, 2005, 4:15 am

I have posted a few Pics of Phu Tok in my picture folder.

Be carefull if you go there when its wet as the paths and wooden steps can be very slippery. Its a long way down! :shock:

Brian

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » September 15, 2005, 4:27 pm

I try to join the National park Club where every I go, Like the Mile High Club

Kally
Master Builder

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » September 15, 2005, 10:40 pm

And ???...

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » September 15, 2005, 11:07 pm

And only managed to so far at Phu Foilum Park, we camped there for the day and I got excited with the lass who came with me in the back of the van at the bottom of the carpark.

I figured I will need to go very late at night to christen in Nong parjak Park

My best effort was in front of the State Theatre in Yoshkar-Ola Russia Mari National Theater it is surronded by a lot of parkland and has huge white columns at the front and the whole building is a pale yellow, great looking building to see and visit. A local Russian girl found a benck in the park where we started to have a early dinner we brought, turned into some evening delight a bit latter on.

Kally
Master Builder

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » September 15, 2005, 11:53 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 16, 2005, 8:25 am

yep, you had to ask, and? good bye cruel world. Image

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » September 16, 2005, 10:42 am

But the 'and....' was supposed to mean 'so what!' it was not a request for further detailed information.

I for one, don't wish to know the graphic details of anothers sexual exploits.

grrrrrrrrrrrrr

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 16, 2005, 10:54 am

you will not get an arguement here, that why this forum is special. we do razz each other, we are young at heart, but if i want to hear about conquest, i'll visit all the other forums that devote 90 % of their time to their ego building. then flush myself with all the sh*t they yak about.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 16, 2005, 11:38 am

Back on topic my kids love to visit Phu Tok.Been several times and still love to go.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » September 16, 2005, 3:26 pm

Phu Tok? Care to expand on that, bm? What are the attractions, where located, etc. Others might be interested. :)

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » September 16, 2005, 3:35 pm

Polehawk:

See the previous page - this topic (page 1)

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”