Laotian visas?

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
pettifog

Laotian visas?

Post by pettifog » December 17, 2005, 7:16 am

I was trying to figure out...can one take the bus to Vietiane from Udon Thani and get a visa at the border? If so, what's the cost there? Is it difficult to get from the Thai/Lao border to Vietiane? thanks!

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » December 17, 2005, 9:06 am

There's a good bus that goes direct from Udon bus station to Ventiane bus station, 100 baht. The only problem is that they don't like you to not have a visa beforehand, as obtaining a visa on arrival at the bridge, can delay the bus, as you have to queue and wait for your visa, as well as queue again to get your passport stamped.

You could just take that bus to the bridge and then if YOU are delayed agree with them they don't have to wait for you. There are taxis and mini-buses into ventiane.

Alternatively, take a normal direct bus Udon to Nong Khai -40 baht and then a tuk tuk from NK bus station to the bridge, then cross yourself (using the bridges mini-bus 10 baht) and take a mini-bus at the other side into Ventiane.

Watch out for touts at the bridge. You do not need to go to their offices to get your visa. You can get it at the bridge.

Rj

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Lao Visa

Post by FrazeeDK » February 22, 2006, 5:17 am

$30 Visa on arrival good for 15 days.

have a visa sized photo.

The previous post is correct.. The direct Udon to Vientiane bus probably will not wait for you to get your Visa on Arrival, it can take 10-40 minutes depending upon the line. The bus ride up is only 140 Baht so you can go directly across the bridge on that bus. After you get your visa you can get a Lot Doo van to Vientiane for around 200 Baht, or if you're Khi-ti, a Tuk-tuk with Farang backpackers for much cheaper..
Dave

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » March 8, 2006, 3:45 pm

I think I know the answer to this, but it never hurts to ask. Can a person go to the duty free shops at the border without getting stamped out of Thailand and not getting a visa or stamped in for Lao? A border pass?
What is the cost for a Thai to go in?

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » March 8, 2006, 4:40 pm

What is the cost for a Thai to go in?
20 baht

Yes it looks like you can do this duty free run, border doesn't seem to have much controls. Is it legal, I don't think so!

As my supplies run done, think I might give it a shot, or maybe just send TW across with a list. I thought I would first check with my Thai driver, I use, to see what he says. It just too helpful, having a car&driver to carry the load!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Duty Free

Post by FrazeeDK » March 8, 2006, 5:32 pm

I regularly see Thai cars stop at the Thai immigration point, explain they're going to duty free and drive over and then back.. Whether or not a Farang can pull it off I don't know..
Dave

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » March 8, 2006, 6:49 pm

My understanding is that if you cross the bridge, you leave Thailand and you therefore would be stamped out in your passport. You would then need to arrive in Laos, before returning back across the bridge, though I understand some have returned (on the odd occasion) without having been stamped into and back out of Laos. The duty free shops are on the Laos side.

I would assume Thais do the same with either their visitors pass or their passport, though have no knowledge of the latter.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » March 8, 2006, 7:39 pm

I made the mistake of just following my Thai friends when coming back into Thailand and not getting my passport stamped. BIG mistake.
No problem leaving Thailand on that visit.
Next visit to Thailand took nearly 3 hours to get through Passport Control. Had to get Head of Immigration at BKK airport to personally stamp and sign my passport. Even had to have a representative of the airline I flew with meet him. I should have paid a fine, but thet let me off.
So be warned!!!.
Make sure you get your passport stamped.

Gary

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » March 9, 2006, 3:11 pm

I think I'll play it safe and let my wife do the shopping (with a list). I would imagine she can telephone me from the Lao side to me on the Thai side? I know this is off the subject but, I've been told a couple of the duty free carry Single Malt Scotch Whiskies?

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » March 9, 2006, 7:16 pm

When you leave Thailand you have to enter and leave another country before you can re-enter Thailand. The Thais would be going across the bridge on their border passes, they are good for up to 3 days but only as far as Vientiane.

John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”