Udon's most expensive bar

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
Grasshopper
udonmap.com

Post by Grasshopper » July 25, 2008, 9:11 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RALPHCUSENS - In lay terms is the price of beer, service, decor and music to your liking and meet your PERSONAL NEEDS as a drinking establishment? If not go an buy somewhere where it does meet your PERSONAL NEEDS. As every bar is not perfect for everybody.

ROY - Wherever YOU feel you get value, which may be different from other punters. If you want a cheap beer price go to the cheapest bar for bottled beer and disregard the surrounding environment and service etc. You may be dissapointed though.

SAINT - Enjoy the beer :D

Beer Monkey - I do not own a bar, my nickname is grasshopper, I know somebody who does though

Pompui - AKA Sherlock Holmes :D

The bottom line is if you like the bar and think the price gives you value then drink there, if you don't you have four choices:

1) drink at another bar
2) drink at home
3) build a bar that suits you and hope other customers like it
4) become a chronic winger

With so many choices everybody can be a winner 8) 8)

Regards.

Grasshopper
udonmap.com

Post by Grasshopper » July 25, 2008, 9:13 am

Where do you all drink?

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » July 25, 2008, 9:35 am

Grasshopper wrote:Where do you all drink?
Night market :drunk:

Grasshopper
udonmap.com

Post by Grasshopper » July 25, 2008, 9:52 am

I like the Ceiling Bar in Soi Cowboy 8)

Unfortunatly, Udon is yet to have a branch.

:D

Gozzo
udonmap.com

Post by Gozzo » July 25, 2008, 10:24 am

Hey Grasshopper.... Where do you drink in Udon? 8)
Such is life.

Grasshopper
udonmap.com

Post by Grasshopper » July 25, 2008, 11:08 am

Thanks for asking Gozzo,

I go to a few bars, usually to visit friends: 'The Place 2 Be' (before Soi Farang was knocked down); Bla Bar on Sio Samphan; 'The Grasshopper Bar' in Nutty Park; occasionally 'Brian's Bar (now moved and changed name to Tee Jay's, also in Nutty Park) and sometimes 'UP 2 YOU' or 'Tong's' (we all know where they are),:D

It really depends how I feel and what I am looking for, usually a hassle free environment as you can see from my first choices. :D

I have more than enough quality choices in BKK for something a little more outrageous, being here Monday to Friday every week. :lol:

Regards

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » July 25, 2008, 7:44 pm

Well what makes a good bar for me? Firstly the price of a beer. I consider a 50% mark up over the wholesale price reasonable. So a small Tiger that retails in most supermarkets for about 26bht, shouldn't cost more than 40bht. Plenty of room to cover overheads there. Having established that, the next important factor. No prostitutes touting for business, buy me a drink etc. Good , efficient polite service with a smile. Clean environment, toilets etc. A good choice of reasonable priced snacks.A friendly environment with customers of all nationalities. I hate these ethnic bars, such as English bars, God I came all this way to get away from that.Big screen football in season.Somewhere the kids can play without my constant supervision, where the wife can pop off and do a bit of shopping if she gets bored with me chatting to my mates. All this and its a bonus if I get change from 500bht at the end of the night.Why I think I have just described the night market :lol:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 25, 2008, 10:17 pm

trubrit wrote:Well what makes a good bar for me? Firstly the price of a beer. I consider a 50% mark up over the wholesale price reasonable. So a small Tiger that retails in most supermarkets for about 26bht, shouldn't cost more than 40bht. Plenty of room to cover overheads there. Having established that, the next important factor. No prostitutes touting for business, buy me a drink etc. Good , efficient polite service with a smile. Clean environment, toilets etc. A good choice of reasonable priced snacks.A friendly environment with customers of all nationalities. I hate these ethnic bars, such as English bars, God I came all this way to get away from that.Big screen football in season.Somewhere the kids can play without my constant supervision, where the wife can pop off and do a bit of shopping if she gets bored with me chatting to my mates. All this and its a bonus if I get change from 500bht at the end of the night.Why I think I have just described the night market :lol:
I think you forgot to mention the mossies, the stench, and the constant hussle and bussle of people (and kids) pushing past your table.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » July 25, 2008, 10:36 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
trubrit wrote:Well what makes a good bar for me? Firstly the price of a beer. I consider a 50% mark up over the wholesale price reasonable. So a small Tiger that retails in most supermarkets for about 26bht, shouldn't cost more than 40bht. Plenty of room to cover overheads there. Having established that, the next important factor. No prostitutes touting for business, buy me a drink etc. Good , efficient polite service with a smile. Clean environment, toilets etc. A good choice of reasonable priced snacks.A friendly environment with customers of all nationalities. I hate these ethnic bars, such as English bars, God I came all this way to get away from that.Big screen football in season.Somewhere the kids can play without my constant supervision, where the wife can pop off and do a bit of shopping if she gets bored with me chatting to my mates. All this and its a bonus if I get change from 500bht at the end of the night.Why I think I have just described the night market :lol:
I think you forgot to mention the mossies, the stench, and the constant hussle and bussle of people (and kids) pushing past your table.
I don't where you've sat, but with exception to the mossies I've never had a problem the stench or hussle & bussle.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » July 26, 2008, 8:37 am

In five years I have never encountered any of the problems stattion mentions, not even the mossies. Are they your own kids? :lol:

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 26, 2008, 11:57 am

exception to the mossies
i try to sit next to people that are more appetizing than myself, so mozzies usually not a problem. for outdoor dining and sipping your favorite beverage, sorry, can't think or recommend a better place, well, except my house.

good service, good company, good 'views'. what more can you ask for. the only other place i sip beverages, is irish clock. two consistently enjoyable venues.

enjoy 8)

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » July 26, 2008, 12:13 pm

Mossies???? what are thoses???? I have never smelled an stench there, where are you sitting so I don't sit there. As far as the hustle and bustle, never had a problem with that, just sit, sip on Tigers, take in the beer girls(or any other pretties walking around), and relax with some chats with friends.

Pop's :pirate:

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » July 26, 2008, 3:14 pm

Stattointhailand,

What night market do you think Truebrit was referring to?, Bombay? your comments certainly don't refer to Udon Thani Night Market! :? :? :?

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » July 26, 2008, 5:10 pm

Statto, you have to find a different place to sit, mate. Sat behind the hongnam does bring a malodoriferous (is that a word? I dunno, just made it up) stench to your table and the beer gals will refuse to serve you there. Men mahk! :lol:

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » July 26, 2008, 6:04 pm

Hmm 5 posts

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » July 26, 2008, 9:26 pm

see you all August 2 at the night market bring your ladies and leave your B/S home and enjoy the evening & I will bring my camera and my wife

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » July 27, 2008, 7:26 am

[quote="Grasshopper"]I like the Ceiling Bar in Soi Cowboy

Yes and I'm told the live show is amazing. Of course, never set foot there myself, ahem.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 27, 2008, 8:20 am

Ceiling Bar
as in glass ceiling so you can see the lower part of the upper floors :lol:

cryptic
udonmap.com

Post by cryptic » July 27, 2008, 11:27 am

trubrit wrote:Well what makes a good bar for me? Firstly the price of a beer. I consider a 50% mark up over the wholesale price reasonable. So a small Tiger that retails in most supermarkets for about 26bht, shouldn't cost more than 40bht. Plenty of room to cover overheads there.
How about salary, refridgeration, money up front for purchase, electrics, seating etc etc, rent, and for 14b, profit for the owner ?, you gotta be kidding. Why should someone supply a product and make no profit out of it. Retail should be around 50b. Just another cheap charlie.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » July 27, 2008, 12:10 pm

cryptic wrote:
trubrit wrote:Well what makes a good bar for me? Firstly the price of a beer. I consider a 50% mark up over the wholesale price reasonable. So a small Tiger that retails in most supermarkets for about 26bht, shouldn't cost more than 40bht. Plenty of room to cover overheads there.
How about salary, refridgeration, money up front for purchase, electrics, seating etc etc, rent, and for 14b, profit for the owner ?, you gotta be kidding. Why should someone supply a product and make no profit out of it. Retail should be around 50b. Just another cheap charlie.
Any one who knows me knows I am anything but a cheap charlie.It isn't being miserly to expect and get, value for ones money. At the night market I can buy 4 large bottles of Tiger for 165 bht, yes , less than 42 bht each. They have all the overheads you mention without any pimping of the girls. The place is packed every weekend and quite busy on other nights, and now more and more farangs gather there. When I was at Uni we had a marketing lecture given by one Mr Cohen, later to become Lord Cohen. His philosophy was " Pile em high, sell them cheap. 'Recognise the name? Yes that's right. The late founder of Tesco stores.Now if you could sell 100 beers at 14bht profit each every night, you would have a nice little earner. Instead you insist you need 24bht each. Now I wonder how many you can sell each night?These are normal marketing considerations that should be decided before investing your money, not after.The overheads you mention are what are known as "fixed " overheads. they don't normally vary in the short term, so its very simple to calculate how much you need to sell . and at what profit margin before investing , to see if your project is viable.
Besides the price there were other advantages in the night market over the normal farang style bar, I note you do not comment on them, :shock:

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”