Udon's most expensive bar

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
Glyn
udonmap.com

Udon's most expensive bar

Post by Glyn » June 19, 2008, 7:47 pm

Don't quote me on this it's only my experience, if anybody know of a more expensive place please correct me.

So I was OFAB last night, along with the misses and her cousin. We popped into The Irish Clock for a quick drink, 2 bottles of spy and a large leo, paid the bill and it was a very reasonable 200bt, crossed the road and walked 50 meters and into The Orange Moon, ordered 2 bottles of spy and this time had to make do with a small leo, paid the bill 250bt. I can't work out peoples pricing methods, I agree you get what you pay for, if you choose to sit on a 10,000bt chair and walk over wool carpet or like live music, you expect to pay a little more for the food and drink there, but The Clock is one of Udon's more up-market establishments, so why are they able to sell drinks approx 30% less than The Orange Moon? Add to this that bars are not forced to display their prices, and we're easy targets for being ripped off. But we all know the saying "fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, shame on me!!".

Ian do us a favour and lower your prices, the quick buck is the Thai way, but it has no long term gain.

By-the-way, that same round of drinks at my place is just 165bt
#-o #-o #-o
Glyn
www.englishmansretreat.com

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 19, 2008, 7:52 pm

Maybe the clock is cheaper because they have some income from the food and rooms.

and your 165baht is a deal. :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 19, 2008, 8:05 pm

Glyn, I think it's the SPY that's the problem. There are now several bars in Udon that charge B100 for a bottle. It's got to the stage now that my misses drinks beer when we go out. She knows if she drinks spy we run out of dosh before she's got drunk. :lol: :lol:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » June 19, 2008, 8:15 pm

I think the problem is greed!100 baht for spy is pure greed!

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 19, 2008, 8:20 pm

spy has always been too pang...and i don't know why,everytime my Mrs orders spy i cry so i lie and say they have run dry, and get her a orange fanta.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

monkeyman
udonmap.com

Post by monkeyman » June 19, 2008, 9:35 pm

BKKSTAN wrote:I think the problem is greed!100 baht for spy is pure greed!
Spy Cooler and Sam Miguel Light only 55 Baht bottle at Glyns bar in nice relaxed surroundings.

Maybe should have a thread on where is the cheapest place to drink in town?

Sat drinking outside a 7 eleven not included :lol:

Glyn
udonmap.com

Post by Glyn » June 19, 2008, 10:02 pm

My brother has a bar in Wales, UK. On my visit this year I was amazed to find out that it was actually cheaper to drink top-shelf in his bar than almost any establishment here in Udon. Smirnoff 35ml was 100bt, Baileys 35ml was about 120bt, here u pay those prices for 25ml shots. We haven't got the same overheads, electric, staff all drastically cheaper here. No or little rates, and no tax man watching every step you make.

We all need to start taking action, prices are only fixed by what people are prepared to pay.

Then there are those that fill top quality spirits with crap and still want top price.

The main problem at the moment is there just isn't enough custom to go around all the bars, yet they are building more, and guess what if they build - falang will buy, it's a proven theory, just look at Pattaya!!

NEWS FLASH *****BARS ALONE DON'T GENERALLY WORK IN THAILAND******

Unless you are a real pro with a few different cards up your sleeve, then good luck to you.

The other problem is so many owners have paid over the odds for their lease and struggle to recoup+pay rent.

ANOTHER NEWS FLASH*****LOOK AT THE VALUE OF EVERYTHING YOU SEE IN THE BAR AND ADD IT UP - THIS WILL GIVE YOU THE TRUE VALUE*****

Good will doesn't exist in Thailand, it goes right out the door with the previous owner.

www.englishmansretreat.com

monkeyman
udonmap.com

Post by monkeyman » June 19, 2008, 10:09 pm

Glyn wrote:Baileys 35ml was about 120bt,

Hmmmm Baileys :roll:

I am sure that drink reminds me of someone :lol: :lol: :lol:

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 19, 2008, 10:17 pm

if Tiger beer fan, lg are only 55 baht or when special is in, 4 for price of 3 at the night market beer garden. corner vendor with tiger gals near video/stage. hard to beat. a mere 41.25 a bottle, cheaper than any market. 10 baht for large ice. and don't even have to refill the glass. 200 baht, leave change as tip, nice 20 % and still avg 50 baht a bottle. along with all things tasty and inexpensive things at the market.

want inside ac, nice music, not too loud, gracious host/hostess, Irish Clock hard to beat, nicely poured full pint of tiger, mere 80 baht. Don't forget your meat pie pig out, mere 150 baht, stuffed.

lg Tiger at 60 baht, i think, new place, Saengkaew Restaurant, out just a bit further than TJ's, just befor Englishmans resort. some tasty, also inexpensive food to go with that.

and new one, just visited by Mark, 60 for lg leo, Kruah Mah Kang Restaurant
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... 603#104603

Plenty of inexpensive beers around town. no need to pay large beer prices for small ones. whether sitting in watching the game with little bluesy or classics as backround music at Irish Clock, or out in fresh air watching Udon stroll by or refill your glass.

doesn't get much better.

oops, someone typing as i am, hmm, who could that be. probabaly so cheap charlie who only sips it at home and only buys it in Laos for half thai price. does remind me of someone. :D

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 19, 2008, 10:18 pm

Yes, that is a good idea. :D

What needs to be avoided is using a sponsor's own thread to criticise them or post recommendations for other competing establishments, which sometimes happens (albeit often innocently or inadvertently).

It's good to post about and share experiences of various establishments, bars, restaurants, accommodation etc, (whether they are sponsors or not), but please don't do so on sponsor's own topics, which they will understandbly feel they have paid for. They are understandably likely to feel a little aggrieved! ;)

Glyn
udonmap.com

Post by Glyn » June 19, 2008, 10:47 pm

Arjay, I'm confused, wot are you refering too?

monkeyman
udonmap.com

Post by monkeyman » June 19, 2008, 11:45 pm

arjay wrote:
What needs to be avoided is using a sponsor's own thread to criticise them
I was not criticing if thats what you mean? Glyn's is one of my main watering holes so I am unlikely to do that. Maybe guilty of going off topic' :?

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 20, 2008, 12:11 am

No I wasn't criticising anyone, not Monkeyman, or indeed this thread. This thread is fine. I was referring to something that happens not infrequently to many sponsor's topics/threads, including Glyn's.

I was simply using this opportunity to convey a message to anyone reading this thread. :D

mapache
udonmap.com

Post by mapache » June 20, 2008, 3:25 am

I don't drink (anymore), so I was wondering how much bottled water costs at the bars? In Manila bars, bottled water costs triple that of bottled beer!

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » June 20, 2008, 7:00 am

If you take a trip around makro or any wholesale place that sells alcohol, you will see the price paid for the booze, then you can work out the profit.
irish Clock is run as a business and yes they supplement their income from rooms, but they also know that competition is a good thing. many bars seem to think that what they offer allows them to charge more.
In the owrds of retailing some of what owners spend is dead money, spend it to get in customers, who then buy more if cost reasonable.
So this thread is fine post expensive bars, let our feet do the walking and our cash do the talking, owners will learn or close. That is business, it is a cruel world out there.
Guns

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » June 20, 2008, 7:35 am

What's the benchmark for cataloging expensive verses cheap bars?

There are those BMs that accused Fuzzy Ken of being an exploitive capitalist and unrepentant money grubber for the 35 baht tax on swaps of Harry's books. Last I heard they were in general agreement on holding a BYOB nightly protest sit-in at Ken's bogs. The hardcore faction were holding out for painting "Free Harry's Books" on their backs and marching starkers through the halls of the mall, finally arriving at Ken's loos.

Myself, I remember FK as a nice guy and good bar manager. You could buy an inexpensive bottle of Jamisons which Ken would label with your name and put on his shelf. You were then set up for a few evenings of cheap drinks, only paying for sodas and ice.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » June 20, 2008, 8:08 am

I would definitely agree that FK's prices are low and that he is a nice guy!

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » June 20, 2008, 8:12 am

Still would like to see prices posted at the bars, as now the Internet cafes have to have prices posted. With the posting of prices in the bars, less ripoffs. I don't go to the bars for 2 particular reasons, I'm married and I hate being bothered by the pesky girls asking for drinks!!!!!!!!!

Pop's :pirate:

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 20, 2008, 8:34 am

theres no bar owner ever gonna get rich out of me, i go out drinking about once a month, dont really notice what im paying , its to infrequent to worry about . but if i was a regular drinker , i would certainly stick to the less expensive places, that offer value for money. personally i think the price thing is going to get worse with more bars opening up, how else are they all going to cover thier overheads. theres only so many people with disposable income to spend on entertainment, so the more bars the smaller thier piece of the pie.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » June 20, 2008, 8:44 am

Some alcoholics stay away from the bars because they seek to buy at the smallest price possible and they know that they are alkys,but many that can still afford it,drink in bars regularly so they have company of other alkys to help them with denial of a problem!

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”