Sakhon Nakhon all but cut off by floods

Issan the rural northeast forum
Zidane
udonmap.com

Sakhon Nakhon all but cut off by floods

Post by Zidane » July 29, 2017, 1:22 am

Hi,its currently 1.15am in Sawang Daen Din,half way between Udon and Sakhon Nakhon.
Its raining cats and dogs.Three days of continous heavy rain have seen the town of Sakhon Nakhon all but cut off and a nearby dam has broken to compound the problem.
Nakhon Phanom,That Phanom,Wanoniwat and Kalasin also badly hit by floods.
THIS STORM IS LIKELY TO HIT UDON,NONG KHAI AND LOEI LATER TODAY SO BE PREPARED.

Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Re: Sakhon Nakhon all but cut off by floods

Post by rjj04 » July 29, 2017, 2:44 am

Yeah, raining here for days now. I went to the large dam nearby, Nam Un the morning of the 28th. The reservoir is apparently the most full in Thailand from this website... (the red pin)

http://www.kromchol.com/array/BDam.htm

The water was inches from the top of the overflow port (or whatever it is called). On the Thai news they said it hadn't overflowed for three decades. Lots of Thai people there with big smiles like it was a party (beer and all). I met a guy with
a hard hat on from the government and I asked him why they didn't have the valves open completely (maybe they were but it didn't look like much water was flowing out), and he pointed to the fact that above the waterline for the overflow port there is another ten meters to spare. With this much water coming down, and this lake being so large, if the input rate goes beyond this port's capacity I hate to think what happens to this earth dam. I would not want to live in Pha Na Nikhom at the moment that is for sure because if this dam were to fail, there would be a fricken tsunami.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » July 29, 2017, 3:09 am

Dam9.jpg
Overflow port (spillway)
Dam9.jpg (2.09 KiB) Viewed 6517 times
Let's see, at least 100km of perimeter of this lake and that water has to fall into a 4-5 meter (diameter) pipe? :-k

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 29, 2017, 5:58 am

Its still hammering it down in Sawang Daen Din.After breakfast we,ll be heading back to Udon as flooded roads could be a big problem.
Chaiyaphum and Korat now badly affected,Sisaket as well.Looks like the whole region is taking a hammering.
Some of the pictures are horrendous.Saloon cars completely covered by flood water,pick ups only the cabs visible,single srorey houses 50 per cent submerged,raging torrents of flood water,people with no electricity or food.
Its a horror story unfolding here.
I tried to upload pics but I,m useing the wifes i-phone and didnt work.
Take care out there everyone

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » July 29, 2017, 9:26 am

Went into the local town (Phang Khon) but could not reach it. Pha Na Nikom is apparently flooded as well. So, we had to go 20kms into the hills to Waritchaphum and get some provisions at 7-11. The market was open there so we could get a few vegetables in. Luckily we live in the hills.... and not downstream from the dam :D

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 29, 2017, 10:16 am

Not so bad here between Sawang Daen Din and Ban Dung. 118 mm overnight and still raining steadily but nothing to worry about. TrueVision Satellite not effected either by the cloud coverage which is a good sign.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 29, 2017, 10:49 am

Started Hammering Down on The Nong Khai Riviera about 9.30 pm Last Night Continued Very Heavy until about 0100hrs,Then rained steadily throughout the rest of the Night,& Is Still raining now at 1045hrs Saturday Morning,The Sky still looks like it has PLENTY To let go as well,No Floods though......YET !!
I Have to go to Ban Muang ( Sakon Nakon ) Tomorrow to pick up my Wife who has been staying with Her Mum for a Week.
Anyone Know what the Conditions are like between Phon Pisahi & Ban Muang OR Should I Go via Phen & Ban Dung ??

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 29, 2017, 12:13 pm

The journey from Sawang Daeng Din back to Udon took 2 hours instead of the normal hour.The main problem was Sawang Daeng Din itself with deep floods and fallen trees in places.The first 10km took an hour but once you get past the prison the roads are OK apart from the occassional flood.
The resort we stayed in is split level and includes 3 bungalows by a stream.Normally very picturesque but today the stream was a torrent and these 3 bungalows were flooded.The rest of the accomodation is higher and was OK but the road into town had deep floods.
Back in Udon its a different world with just intermittent rain and no flooding we could see.Lets hope it stays that way.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 29, 2017, 1:17 pm

sakon4.jpg.d1da055fdd0266e30b4081aa77bfc521.jpg

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 29, 2017, 1:32 pm

A Thai friend of ours in town (Udon) says there are warnings to move belongings and pets to higher ground.....probably referring to folks who live in the bottom of the soup bowl in town near the rivers. The photo is of the MakKaeng drain canal that runs through town
Attachments
913.jpg

domfromoz
udonmap.com

Post by domfromoz » July 29, 2017, 4:02 pm

Rain has eased at Sawang,but to late for us. River broke its bank at 5.45 am and rose 2 metres in 1 1/2 hours.
For the second time in 12 months we have lost about 1mill baht of fish stocks and most of our livestock drowned.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 29, 2017, 4:36 pm

Have been driving this road for a few years now and never ever seen any water over the road.

Out at Mu Mon back of the water resource area behind Nong Samrong.
Lucky she has the Isuzu Highlander
Attachments
IMG_4290.JPG

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 29, 2017, 6:03 pm

domfromoz wrote:
July 29, 2017, 4:02 pm
Rain has eased at Sawang,but to late for us. River broke its bank at 5.45 am and rose 2 metres in 1 1/2 hours.
For the second time in 12 months we have lost about 1mill baht of fish stocks and most of our livestock drowned.
Sad Mate....... :shock: :shock:

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 29, 2017, 6:05 pm

Still Heavy Rain on The Costa Del Mekhong,Not Stopped in 22 Hours Now......

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » July 29, 2017, 6:17 pm

Quite a spectacle at Khuen Nam Un. Many people partying (complete with food vendors) as they watch the water fall into the overflow port. It's like watching a blowhole in Hawaii
Attachments
crop2.jpg
Overflow spillway
cropped.jpg
Overflow port

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » July 29, 2017, 6:47 pm

To where does the lake overflow port drain the excess water ?
Thanks have a nice evening.

domfromoz
udonmap.com

Post by domfromoz » July 29, 2017, 7:12 pm

the-monk wrote:
July 29, 2017, 6:47 pm
To where does the lake overflow port drain the excess water ?
Thanks have a nice evening.
It runs to a canal on the other side of the dam wall road then down to an east /west canal down beside hwy 22.

Return to “Northeast Thailand (Issan)”