chiangmai is a bit quiet

Northern Thailand forum
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

chiangmai is a bit quiet

Post by stattointhailand » November 11, 2014, 11:33 am

wiking wrote:there are no smog in Chiangmai in July, the rainingseason - no burning - this will be from now until April, but
normally first after new year - very surprise already now in lampang
It seems to be getting worse every year.
Would have thought with all the information now available to the residents it would improve ........ looks like another case of "couldn't give a damn" :confused:

thrilled
udonmap.com

chiangmai is a bit quiet

Post by thrilled » November 12, 2014, 9:42 am

The 1st time I went to ChiangMai was 6 years ago.
Definitely not thrilled with the city.I guess I will go back and check it out.I'm A gluten for punishment.
Now Udonthani.Is A nice place to,visit.Maybe live.

Zidane
udonmap.com

chiangmai is a bit quiet

Post by Zidane » December 25, 2014, 5:15 pm

Me and the missus were in Chiang Mai from 18-23 December and I was surprised at just how busy it was ! :shock:
Its a long time since I have been there.The last time I stayed at the Royal Princess hotel,near the nightmarket,but this time we stayed near Thapae Gate in the old city which was better.
Mixing with hordes of Chinese tourists and young chav farang couples day and night !
The area around Thapae Gate was great to stroll around with plenty of nice temples and shopping and dining options.
A sangthaew takes you anywhere within the old city for just 20 baht per person.
On Sunday the road from Thapae Gate to the old town (over a mile in length) is pedestrianised for a Sunday market from 5pm to nearly midnight.It was absolutely heaving with people and in the evening I tried to walk from our hotel to a restaurant about 1 mile away,at around 6pm,and it took me 40 minutes :( coming back about 10.45pm it still took over 30 minutes.
But,overall,we certainly enjoyed Chiang Mai.....
One funny story was told to me by an English guy who went to do his 90 day report at Immigration on 22nd December.
It was very,very busy with about 200 people in there.At about 3pm he was surprised when a group of schoolchildren suddenly appeared behind the Immigration Officers desks and started singing Christmas carols......and whats more the Immigration Officers stopped their work and joined in the carol singing for about 15 minutes ! :D
Maybe,something for our Immigration Officers here in Udon to take on board for next Christmas ? :-"
Until then,a very Merry Xmas to all my readers....
Merry Xmas.jpg
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

thrilled
udonmap.com

chiangmai is a bit quiet

Post by thrilled » December 25, 2014, 11:02 pm

If you like busy places Chiang Mai is definitely the place to go.To many people for me.And the prices seem to be about the same as Bangkok if not more expensive.
Maybe an ok place to visit.You couldn't pay me to lve there.I'm just not fond of so many people in one place.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

chiangmai is a bit quiet

Post by Stantheman » March 19, 2015, 2:57 am

Was watching a news program here in U.S., rebroadcast on Malimar TV, from Thai Channel 3(I think) about the horrible pollution conditions in Chiang Mai, mostly due to field burning, industries and vehicles (but mostly field burning). Ask the wife about going there and her response was of course no way with the air pollution so I guess that leaves out a vacation spot on my next visit. :(

thighlander
udonmap.com

Re: chiangmai is a bit quiet

Post by thighlander » December 11, 2017, 6:09 am

The worst thing about CM is knowing how good it was. The bars have gotten really bad. Most seem to have a difficult time serving a cold beer. Traffic is horrible, to go with the driving skills. Garbage is a huge problem. Been here four years without a real issue, but someone has really pooped the party. Between taxes, Uber, and Airbnb, a lot of people have a chip on their shoulder.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 11, 2017, 10:03 am

thighlander wrote:
December 11, 2017, 6:09 am
The worst thing about CM is knowing how good it was. The bars have gotten really bad. Most seem to have a difficult time serving a cold beer. Traffic is horrible, to go with the driving skills. Garbage is a huge problem. Been here four years without a real issue, but someone has really pooped the party. Between taxes, Uber, and Airbnb, a lot of people have a chip on their shoulder.
Sounds like Chiang Mai it is now Pattaya del Norte.

thighlander
udonmap.com

Post by thighlander » December 11, 2017, 3:53 pm

For a few days, Pattaya would probably be better. No doubt, very raunchy, but they do cater to single guys much, much more, instead of tour busses full of Chinese.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 11, 2017, 5:48 pm

thighlander wrote:
December 11, 2017, 3:53 pm
For a few days, Pattaya would probably be better. No doubt, very raunchy, but they do cater to single guys much, much more, instead of tour busses full of Chinese.
"Oh no they don't!!!"

It must be Christmas pantomime time...

The only thing outnumbering Pattaya's (in)famous bar girls right now is the amount of empty bar stools.

I would wager that Pattaya's tour bus hell trumps the Chiang Mai one, always has and always will.

thighlander
udonmap.com

Post by thighlander » December 11, 2017, 6:35 pm

at least the bars are open, there is a good selection, and they actually serve cold beers...but yes overrun with undesirables. Chiang Mai has probably fared a lot better in the Russian/Indian department, but worse with the Chinese. Pattaya might even be a better place to find a UTH girl, than UTH itself. Oh, and it might be worth mentioning that the nasty air is already in full force in CM, I am showing current AQI at 93..which is about the low for the last week, but still something to sneeze at. Add the elephant washers, the carb queens, and the bulldykes, who march around town sneering at every western man they see....I am fed up.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 12, 2017, 10:32 pm

Moved to Chang Mai about 9 years ago with the intention selling up in Udon and buying a place in CM.

After less than 3 months the Mrs admitted she didn't like it, which was music to my ears as I'd been trying to find a way to say I thought we had made a mistake and didn't want to stay there long term, the dog had run away from home. Found the dog a couple of days later (probably trying to find the road to Udon).
Udon has lots of minus points, but it is still far better than CM (especially as I don't need all the golf courses anymore :lol:)

IMHO CM is great for a few days away but it's still nice to come home :-$

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 9, 2021, 6:40 pm

I disliked the Chiang Mai traffic and congestion. I spent more time in Chiang Rai and much prefer it over Chiang Mai. Chiang Rai is much slower and more friendly. Night life is much more limited but good times can be had. If I had to choose which city to live in, it would definitely be Chiang Rai.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » October 9, 2021, 7:38 pm

glalt wrote:
October 9, 2021, 6:40 pm
I disliked the Chiang Mai traffic and congestion. I spent more time in Chiang Rai and much prefer it over Chiang Mai. Chiang Rai is much slower and more friendly. Night life is much more limited but good times can be had. If I had to choose which city to live in, it would definitely be Chiang Rai.
Agree.

I have been to both. ChR has ChM beat by a county mile. I do not even go to ChM to visit anymore even though there were two restaurants there that I enjoyed very much.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

Return to “Northern Thailand”