Playao, 3 night stay and accommodations.

Northern Thailand forum
laphanphon

Playao, 3 night stay and accommodations.

Post by laphanphon » March 11, 2009, 3:52 pm

March 2009

Playao from Phrae, hwy 101 - 103 - 1 into town. Playao has a huge lake, which is utilized with couple decent restaurants, 2 specifically, will stand out as they will have customers, the rest seem to not care. Bbq chicken price 100 - 180, guess which one had customers. Local ma/pa markets competively priced with large Leo 45-40-38, and seem to have high turnover or good inventory control, fill dates mere 2 weeks old.

Staying at very nice ‘Home Stay’, guesthouse across from lake, perfect location and accommodations. Various room prices, 400 to 800. Our room, 600 baht is comfy, ac/hw/tv/cable/useless balcony off room, but 4th floor has very nice shaded balcony, till about 3 ish, then sun hits half of it, as facing westerly, and if not for lovely smoke burn off, I would guess some nice sunsets.

A Big C and Lotus in town, if on the road and need supplies, as I needed new flip flop, as rather new sandals malfunctioned. Also refill for morning coffee, though GH offers free coffee.

Again, not much at any of these towns, the scenery, if have and utilizing a lake or river, simply curiosity journey with some good R&R. Wats and national parks do nothing for me. Stopping at every amphur muang in all the provinces along my journey that may interest me, or just for a pit stop, as mentioned, time to kill and trying to keep it to less than 2 hours a day driving. Mediocre night market, not up to par.

Some pics, couple of lake and GH. If in area and needing info for Home Stay GH, simply pm me for details. May edit with ph #, but they can’t seem to figure out which is which. Land line inop, cell phone listed in not resident caretaker, who had to be called, then returned our call. And no internet info as of yet. Gets good word of mouth endorsement and guessing full on weekends.

apologies on pic quality, some smoke haze and some pics from cell phone.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Playao, 3 night stay and accommodations.

Post by beer monkey » March 11, 2009, 11:50 pm

Looks Great Thanks.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 12, 2009, 5:04 am

LA, at one time, Phayao was said to have the most beautiful women in Thailand.

Have you been able to do any research on the subject to uphold or challenge the theory?

If you do get to Nan try and see at least one wat, and that is, Wat Phumin.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 12, 2009, 9:43 am

do any research on the subject to uphold
yes i have and it is true........................................ 8)

sorry, cell phone pic and little sun.

hmm, seefood restaurant

some lovelies, ok, i brought them with me.........................but not that i noticed, or tried to, but out of the corner of my eye, i did see a few other lovelies lounging lakeside and cruising with them short skirts on scooters :D

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 12, 2009, 10:19 am

Well, these two ringers certainly qualify; furthermore, it was fortunate that you were able to gain a swift glimpse of Phayao's finest.

I understand you do not do wats; however, it you want to make your wife pleased as punch take her to the famous Wat Mahathat in Phitsanuloke so that she can make merit in front of the Phra Buddha Chinaraj. It is one of the more popular Buddha images in Thailand, and to gain merit there will provide you with much boon (merit) too, and as farangs, we need all the merit we can gather. 55555

Wat Suan Dok and Wat Phra Sing in Chiang Mai, and Wat Kukut and Wat Haripunchai in Lamphun will do the trick too.There is a famous wat in Lampang, but I have forgotten its name.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 12, 2009, 10:50 am

Wat Mahathat in Phitsanuloke
think that is also called wat yai, been there myself, that is the #2 money maker in thailand, for wats anyway.

actually, she is more anti-wat than i am. i'm not really anti-wat, just seen so many already, they can't do to much more to impress me. different architech, murals, marble, stone and every variation that can be imagined. seen too many already. and of course, they all have a fragment of buddha's bone in them, must of used a shredder and passed him around.

i recommend most of the things i've already seen and think she would appreciate or should see as important to thai's history...........she has no interest at all.

a pic from way back when i was there, was quite nice.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 12, 2009, 10:54 am

Yes LA, that is the wat. I like to visit there...once every 15 years or so....

Anyway, enjoy your trip. Your observations and comments are interesting and fun.

You are a long way from Philly!

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 12, 2009, 4:52 pm

tilokarat wrote:Yes LA, that is the wat. I like to visit there...once every 15 years or so....
Arrrrr a regular face then. :lol:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 13, 2009, 4:37 am

Yeah, well, it is a bit off the beaten track in my Thai world. Last year I went on a round-trip by bus between Loei and Phitsanuloke.

Maybe, I will visit both cities again this summer, and I would not mind going back to Sukhothai. It has been 31 years since my last visit to that historic site.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 13, 2009, 5:22 am

Sukhothai is good for a second visit, been twice in my time...so maybe thats enough for me,obviously not a lot changes there...but nice to breath in the history.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » March 13, 2009, 7:29 am

LA
Where u heading for ??

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 13, 2009, 8:36 am

chiang rai today, then chiang saen saturday, want Gem to see Hall of Opium museem again, and Ree has never seen the north, except last year, we popped in and visited her sis, who had a cancer scare, so better visit. Ree's the baby of the family, a 30 gap. which was a good trip, as we visited grandma, 90 ish, thankfully we did, as she passed a month or so later, last may.

hang out in chiang saen for couple maybe, then back to chiang rai if we like it today. grand plan is back down the thai/myanmar border, to tak, maybe a pit stop in kanchanaburi, like VN gh, nice relaxing stay there a while back, cheap place on river, good food, no need to even leave, just watch discos cruise by. then bkk for annual med check ups, killing time till official high season and songkran over, then do the usual slow ride down south, maybe to phuket, depends how the beachs are inbetween Pruchuap KK and chumphon. going to try to stop at most of them, as soon as done in bkk. last year was nice (chumphon), the water, but too many stingers in water, so left for phuket, which always satisfies. if gulf beaches aren't almost perfect for swimming, then will just shoot to phuket. but never visited many besides my usual pit stops, which are still ok, familiarity i think, but starting to get noticed and not as relaxing. hua hin, beach sucks now, but relaxing and couple nice restaurants, same with thong wua laen, chumphon, usually water good, but gets jellies and lice occasionally. andaman is more consistent. if i can find something for less than 1000 a night, may hang out in khao lak, but prices were up there last time i checked. kata is just too nice and consistent, so maybe a beer and catch up if you're in the area. don't need to be back to udon till may 18. gives me over a month for the beaches. :guiness: 8)

Return to “Northern Thailand”