Mae Hong Son, R&R, accom/food

Northern Thailand forum
laphanphon

Mae Hong Son, R&R, accom/food

Post by laphanphon » March 16, 2009, 10:32 pm

March 2009..............non trekker, rafter, outdoors person, just food and R&R

Coming from Golden Triangle (Chiang Saen), fairly easy route, just a couple highway changes, well marked. The road, as all inter province roads, are well made and well maintained. Did this trip 5 yrs ago, in reverse direction, thought the road very good condition then, and since, has been upgraded, so not complaint. I took hwy 107 to mae taeng, just north of CM, which we stayed overnight at, almost clean, safe, 300, not worth mentioning. From there, it starts becoming a winding mountainous highway, some major hill/down hills, and hairpin turns. Pay attention, all are well marked, and heed any speed limits on turns, if not, you will end up in the opposite lane

There was little traffic, and as mentioned, limited visibility, due to burn off of vegetation in preparation for planting season, and sadly, simple road maintenance, clearing or the brush from road side, quite surprising. Since not doing much scenery admiring, since a repeat trip for me and was much better last trip, Ree and Gem had to endure my Grand Prix, racer’s edge, white knuckle driving adventure. Actually, they slept most of the way, they were that inspired. Well Gem did, Ree slept in between stops to puke. Glad she had no idea what to expect, she would surely refused to accompany us. Meet you there via plane. Don’t think she’ll be making a repeat, as I suggested it would be a beautiful ride in proper season. It was nice, but those distant 2-3 ridges of hills, weren’t to be, or anything past the 1st. I bit frustrating, as the whole trip vis has been very poor.

Mae Hong Son has not changed much in 5 yrs, happily, as apposed to Pai. Which I didn’t care for the 1st time, only stayed a one nighter, KSR in the hills, is my basic impression. Passed thru, or tried to at best, it is 10 times worst, and I am being kind. So bad, I had a hard time negotiating the roads through town, this a major thruway, congested with vendors and want to be rastas. At many points 2 way traffic was impossible. To me, it is mind boggling. Found some accommodations, if we decide to stay, I’ll mention, or maybe the next guesthouse/hotel. So far nothing has really impressed me, accommodations wise. At piya gh, clean and safe, off street parking. At lake side, no view, but it’s 20 meters away, almost nice garden setting, which will provide shade for the morning sun, the the rest of the day, sun behind the rooms. free wifi, 600 baht. Saw a couple others, cheaper and the same, will check a couple tomorrow, but may just stay. Peeked at couple more, most more expensive, and no ammenities to speak of that i would use, so looks like Piya Gh will be the one, unless we walk by something much better, but too lazy to look any more.

There is a night market around the lake area at night, nothing special, usual Thai trinkets sold everywhere, with emphasis on hill tribe wares.

Dining..........couple good prospects, had nice meal at Reaun Mai, I enjoyed a rather nice cordon bleau, ch/ham/ch, w/fries and sm salad, mere 90 baht, Ree a club sandwich (stomach not ready for spicy yet), decent version, and Gem a tasty tom yam pla, couple waters and escaped for a mere 225 ish. Notice lg Leos for 55, passed on that. Noticed another place, CrossRoads, actually first one we stopped at, but staff takes a break between the lunch and dinner serving hours. Some nice looking offerings, both western and Thai. Been craving a burger lately. May be visiting both, as interesting menu items and nothing there going to break the bank. Found the local fresh market and take away, along with the lake night market offerings (little weak there), but looks as though we’ll be relaxing for a few days, before I subject Ree to some more Grand Prix adventure, as the road to the south, out of town, is almost as fun as getting here.

I will be editing this as time goes one, and bump it up when done. Add some observations for sleeping and eating options. Hopefully with just the necessary details, as running a bit long already.

Sleeping options staying at piya preently, see above

Princes GH, highly recommended by travel fish, good lakeside location, nice yard to relax by lake, and small balcony, beds ok, 400 ish, but, in the afternoon sun all day, as it faces west, so I won’t be lounging around, Probably an excellent choice for cool season.

Johnnies, 300, beds were hardest I’ve ever felt, and again, next to prince’s so same sun.

JungKham, I think, looked very nice, couple bungalow, then main building, had a very nice room, but, that sun thing again, all glass on 2 sides, huge room, 2 double beds, 1000/discounted to 800, all three next to each other, all sitting in afternoon sun.

Panorama hotel, closer to restaurants where we ate, though all in walking distance, and you all know how lazy I am. Not impressed with panorama, starting at 500 and 600. Some with balconies, for viewing the construction next door, oh joy. The lobby and communal areas were very nicely done in wood, though turning on a light would of been nice. But that is where the charm stopped.

I use travelfish a lot for reference, for smaller towns, sawadee, for tourist destinations, or latestays. Seem to have the best deals for my preferences. TAT is actually a much improved site, with listings of hotel, though bit limited on info about them, but at least let you know they exist. LP, well, what can you say, except if it’s highly recommended, probably a good place to avoid. This season, good to call a contact number, and have Thai partner ask for rates, as they may ever be better than internet discount rates, as possible purchased last season before it hit the fan, and owners want to fill the rooms, and are cutting those rates.

Pic from wat overlooking city/valley below. if airport to the lower left is used, guessing nothing is making it in, as the smoke is lower than the surrounding hills.......the way it's been from uttaradit-GT-mhs, don't expect much change down the border of myanmar, when eventually depart to points south, Tak.
Last edited by laphanphon on March 17, 2009, 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

wazza
udonmap.com

Re: Mae Hong Son, R&R, accom/food

Post by wazza » March 17, 2009, 2:01 am

LA

gr8 report, well done.

I loved MHS 6 years ago and u have described it well.

See you took the walk up to the Temple , or did u drive ????????

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 17, 2009, 8:25 am

See you took the walk up to the Temple
that's way too funny............ :D :D .............are u nuts, my lazy butt drove, and of course, i made it up to the phone/radar towers, only one turn, and it's the 2nd time i missed it, did the same 5 yrs ago :oops: .

also enjoy MHS, one of the few towns i could see myself living in. except for this time of year, couple months of burn off, or how ever long they take, i couldn't be here, to frustration, and surely not healthy. 8)

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 18, 2009, 9:16 am

some pics of MHS, the one above, as mentioned, from wat atop highest point, basically the whole town, with lake centered. one below, closer view of lake, which is very quiet setting day and night, even with market set up at night, not busy at all, just enough for some people watching.
piya gh from street, garden setting, in need of manicure, but relaxed
view out room window
off street parking at gh, me little blue vios, performed very admirably thru the Grand Prix rally on north of MHS
couple close eating options and people watching, all decent food and prices, only variances is beer, some have tourist prices, some normal.
pic and location of other 3 gh mentioned about, facing west. all close and comfy locations to lake.
Ree and Gee preoccupying themselves while i post this sh*t :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

little more detail pic of same above, can actually see the lake from wat

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » March 18, 2009, 9:40 am

Nice thread & pics. Thanks for sharing.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 18, 2009, 9:58 am

thanks, and kudos to yourself, saw a few of you postings, especially PKK, I think on teakdoor, nice stuff. got me motivated to take a slower trip thru the area this time. usually just hop bkk/hua hin/chumphon/phuket, little more investigation this time thru. 8) 8)

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 18, 2009, 8:56 pm

one more update, couple eating options, the ones in pics already, Sunflower, make their own bread, good, along with pizza and cheesecake, though neither to be had at the time. had a very nice aussie burger at Sunflower, that is next to the 'Meeting', the one with big chang sign. both next to lake. next 2 pics are more in town, walking distance as all things seem to be. RuanThai, one w/singha sign, rather good, and Crossroads, just ok, last choice, and if going, sit upstairs, as on busy intersection and fumes come in easily. upstairs was much nicer.

looking at crossroad, RuanThai would be down the street to the right, mere 50 yards max.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 19, 2009, 6:29 pm

oops, trying to edit, but won't allow me, hmm...................ruanthai, mispelled, should read ReuanMai, and would be i 1st dining choice............. 8)

Jula

Post by Jula » June 13, 2010, 11:48 am

I miss Mae Hong Son went there long time ago. But i went to Pai few years ago. A lot of hotel and resort. Too many for small town as Pai. The resort i stayed at Mae Hong Song that time is Fern Resort not sure still open. :) Would like to go there again visit long neck karen village. :)

Return to “Northern Thailand”