Phayao house build

Northern Thailand forum
BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Re: Phayao house build

Post by BillaRickaDickay » December 17, 2016, 2:58 pm

Would u know how far down the concrete piles should go down for a bungalow going on rice paddy. If I raise the dirt with fill then pile drive supports do I need to wait for dirt to settle?
Depth would depend on the weight of the house, house design, number of Piles and as Piles into clay subsoil rely on Friction for their stability the circumference of the Piles. I have in the past built two similar size houses on clay, one had 32 Piles the other only 11. You would need a Foundation designer to specify what would be suitable for you.

If using Piles I see no reason why work cannot start as soon as the Back Fill is in place as the structure will not be sitting on the Back Fill, the movement of the Drilling/Driving Rig around the site will help to compact the soil for the later construction of Paths/Driveways/Patios etc.

Again the above info is based on my experience in the UK, I see many successful builds using the traditional Column and Pad design and I am sure the builders on this Forum will have gained a better knowledge than me for Thai house construction, as you are building a Bungalow this may be the best method for you.

He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

irlguy1
udonmap.com

Post by irlguy1 » December 17, 2016, 3:12 pm

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
Would u know how far down the concrete piles should go down for a bungalow going on rice paddy. If I raise the dirt with fill then pile drive supports do I need to wait for dirt to settle?
Depth would depend on the weight of the house, house design, number of Piles and as Piles into clay subsoil rely on Friction for their stability the circumference of the Piles. I have in the past built two similar size houses on clay, one had 32 Piles the other only 11. You would need a Foundation designer to specify what would be suitable for you.

If using Piles I see no reason why work cannot start as soon as the Back Fill is in place as the structure will not be sitting on the Back Fill, the movement of the Drilling/Driving Rig around the site will help to compact the soil for the later construction of Paths/Driveways/Patios etc.

Again the above info is based on my experience in the UK, I see many successful builds using the traditional Column and Pad design and I am sure the builders on this Forum will have gained a better knowledge than me for Thai house construction, as you are building a Bungalow this may be the best method for you.

Great advice mate thanks.
Always difficult building away from home. Hard to get someone really reliable and even harder to get them to stick to the plan.
If anyone knows a good builder in Phayao let me know please Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » December 18, 2016, 5:55 pm

Good luck with your build, always good to see house building projects on this Forum.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

irlguy1
udonmap.com

Post by irlguy1 » December 18, 2016, 7:23 pm

So guys this is where the story begins.
This is my plot for the bungalow which will be three bedroom, 2 bathroom and Falang kitchen and living room.

ImageImage

irlguy1
udonmap.com

Post by irlguy1 » December 22, 2016, 11:42 pm

Dirt going down, all 1000 trucks of it.
ImageImage

jimbeamm36
udonmap.com

Post by jimbeamm36 » December 24, 2016, 7:45 am

I now stay in Phayao also. Very near our rental there is a new home going up. The builders seem to know what they are doing and making fast progress. You are welcome to come by and have a look. We live right behind Tesco Lotus.
JB.

irlguy1
udonmap.com

Post by irlguy1 » December 24, 2016, 8:25 am

jimbeamm36 wrote:I now stay in Phayao also. Very near our rental there is a new home going up. The builders seem to know what they are doing and making fast progress. You are welcome to come by and have a look. We live right behind Tesco Lotus.
JB.
Is that the big lotus in Phayao itself ?
We are about an hour from there so that would be great to take a look .

jimbeamm36
udonmap.com

Post by jimbeamm36 » December 24, 2016, 9:40 am

Yes sir.

irlguy1
udonmap.com

Post by irlguy1 » December 24, 2016, 10:01 am

jimbeamm36 wrote:Yes sir.
Would u have a contact number so I could arrange to see the job and the builders ?

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » December 24, 2016, 11:27 am

Get an engineer to draw you up a raft beam floor as someone mentioned earlier.
The whole place can float around without problems then.

It will mean quite an amount of outlay before the structure gets out of the ground i.e. 20mm reo-bar and 6-8mm mesh but you will be better off in the end. At the time, houses like mine cost around $35,000 to built and the extra for the foundation was around $3,000.00 just to give you an idea. This also included higher mpa concrete (35 against standard 20 If I remember correctly)

Never seen anything BUT clay in all of Thailand, same as my place here in Aus that I built "86 using the aforementioned and never had a problem. Many variations in weather here also from drought to water up to the windows in 2013 but the house remains stable. As you may or may not know, clay varies somewhere in the vicinity of 20 times between wringing wet and dead dry.

irlguy1
udonmap.com

Post by irlguy1 » December 24, 2016, 12:06 pm

bluejets wrote:Get an engineer to draw you up a raft beam floor as someone mentioned earlier.
The whole place can float around without problems then.

It will mean quite an amount of outlay before the structure gets out of the ground i.e. 20mm reo-bar and 6-8mm mesh but you will be better off in the end. At the time, houses like mine cost around $35,000 to built and the extra for the foundation was around $3,000.00 just to give you an idea. This also included higher mpa concrete (35 against standard 20 If I remember correctly)

Never seen anything BUT clay in all of Thailand, same as my place here in Aus that I built "86 using the aforementioned and never had a problem. Many variations in weather here also from drought to water up to the windows in 2013 but the house remains stable. As you may or may not know, clay varies somewhere in the vicinity of 20 times between wringing wet and dead dry.
Good advice mate thanks.
It's all appreciated

alanhass
udonmap.com

Post by alanhass » January 19, 2017, 8:13 pm

So it began.
4 weeks ago
1000 trucks of dirt.

alanhass
udonmap.com

Post by alanhass » January 19, 2017, 8:15 pm

Lake finished

alanhass
udonmap.com

Post by alanhass » January 19, 2017, 8:19 pm

3 seriously heavy rainfalls later and the deal is done for our builder to arrive on the 16th January. The plan is now to build a floating foundation to avoid having to wait a year for dirt to settle.
IMG_2736.JPG

alanhass
udonmap.com

Phayao house build

Post by alanhass » January 19, 2017, 8:24 pm

Builder arrives on time with crew after finishing a mates house in Nakhon Ratchasima.

The well is dug. 18 meters down and clear water is flowing nicely.

Last edited by alanhass on January 19, 2017, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alanhass
udonmap.com

Post by alanhass » January 19, 2017, 8:26 pm

Electric poles go up. The company wanted 100000 baht I said no chance. So they agreed to different poles for 35000.
They could hang the cables from marshmallows for all I care. No way was paying 100k for 6 poles and 250 meters of cable

alanhass
udonmap.com

Post by alanhass » January 19, 2017, 8:29 pm

Can't pile the first pole until 23rd as the wife's dad says any other day is bad luck. So builder digs the plumbing holes and starts making the steel rings for the main build.

alanhass
udonmap.com

Post by alanhass » January 19, 2017, 8:31 pm

My favourite time of the day. Time for a newspaper and a bit of me time. ImageImage
Staff toilet ready to go.Image

We are now up to date. Tomorrow will be more sewer works.

alanhass
udonmap.com

Post by alanhass » January 19, 2017, 8:33 pm

Forgot to mention that the well is now dug and we hit lovely clear water at 18 meters.
Happy days

alanhass
udonmap.com

Post by alanhass » January 23, 2017, 8:33 pm

Seems there is no interest in this thread so I will stop posting.

Return to “Northern Thailand”