Sak Yai National Park

Northern Thailand forum
Egor
udonmap.com

Sak Yai National Park

Post by Egor » July 11, 2005, 3:10 am

I went to Sak Yai National Park located about 70 km from Uttaradit. The primary feature of the park is a Giant Teak tree (Sak Yai) that is about 1,500 years old. The overall park is about 26,000 rai. There is no lodging close to the park but you can pitch a tent or just take a day trip as I did.
The tree itself is pretty large although in 1979 a strong storm knocked the top of the tree off. Still a pretty impressive sight seeing a tree that old. According to the park ranger who was very nice and even gave me a baby sak tree the Thai government open the area around the park for logging in 1929. She said many other large Teak trees were cut down and harvested for their wood. The saving grace for the remaining tree was that at some point the inside of the tree was damaged by a fire making it useless for the loggers. The tree is currently the oldest know teak tree in the world. Overall the trip to the park was sweet however the area is pretty remote. If your around Uttaradit might be worth a drive by if you have some time to kill. I will try to post a few photos of the tree. Adios

Egor

http://community.webshots.com/album/391347886TlXTFC

Last edited by Egor on July 11, 2005, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Admin

Post by admin » July 11, 2005, 10:31 am

Hi Egor,

Thanks for the info, very interesting.

You are using the wrong address for your images. Tip, right click on your image of your choice and copy the address.

Webshots may not allow linking however but it's worth a try.

Admin

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 11, 2005, 4:44 pm

as a member of webshots, you have to sign out, then search yourself, then copy and paste. or it will identiy your cookies and you are already signed in, thus a different url, and someone without that cookie, cant' view.

Egor
udonmap.com

Sak Yai Link

Post by Egor » July 11, 2005, 9:01 pm

Thanks Admin and Laphanphon,

I did update the link after logging out of webshots. You should at least be able to get to the album now. Still couldn't get the pictures to show up in the zctual post, but I guess I can battle that monster alittle later.
](*,)

Egor

Return to “Northern Thailand”