30 day extension

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
tutone
udonmap.com

30 day extension

Post by tutone » November 20, 2008, 6:02 pm

I have seen several references on this site that Nong Khai immigration is not granting 30 day extensions on tourist visas unless one can show a ticket out of country at the end of the 30 day period. Is this really the case? Can anyone shed any light on the subject? Anyone have any first hand experience recently? I am here in Udon on a 6 month multiple entry visa and was hoping to get extensions on a couple of 60 day stays to minimize border hops. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Was planning on going to Nong Khai before the end of this month. Also, is there any special requirements for documents, photos, etc. when applying for a 30 day extension. Thanks.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: 30 day extension

Post by BobHelm » November 20, 2008, 6:22 pm

My last experience is from over a year ago. Then you needed to produce an air ticket in your own name when applying for an extension to a tourist visa.
If the date of your air ticket was AFTER the maximum extension of 30 days then you would only receive a 7 day extension. If your air ticket date was within 30 days then they would extend your visa to that date (all at a charge of 1,900 baht).
I went twice and it was the same both times so I have never recommended anyone to go & try for one again unless they had an air ticket within the 30 day extension.

The rules may have changed in the last year as I know of no-one that tries for 30 day extensions anymore - it just isn't worth the hassle when you can go over the bridge & back for less baht expenditure & get another (in your case) 60 days with zero aggravation.

Good luck if you decide to go - please post your experiences if you do.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » November 20, 2008, 6:37 pm

just hop over to laos, cheaper, and 30 day freebie on return. pick yourself up a bottle of something at duty free shop that you can't get here, or cheaper there. many liquors are 1/2 price. also a much better and cheaper wine selection, if beverage of choice.

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » November 21, 2008, 10:25 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to give it a try anyway because I am going that way next week with a friend. He was given a 30 day stamp when he arrived even though he has a 6 month tourist visa. He didn't notice that he had the 30 day stamp instead of the customary 60 day stamp until recently. He is going to see if immigration made a mistake and if they will give another 30 days. Have you heard of this happening before? At any rate will post what happens next week.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 21, 2008, 10:44 am

Yes that has happened to me as well, but with a multiple entry non imm O.
He has to to to Immigration and ask them for a form (as it is not out with the "normal" forms that are on display). Fill out the form & have copies of the, I think, back page of passport, Visa stamp & actual Immigration entrance stamp. Immigration will then amend the date on the entrance stamp. No charge - unless you haven't got all the copies they need :D
I always double check the date given me on entry now, carefully!!
I do caution you to be careful about the 30 day tourist visa extension. I would ask the Immigration officers for "advice" on what it is best for you to do rather than physically apply for one. You could have the forms filled out (in your back pocket) if you got a positive response from him. My experience is that they will only give you a 7 day extension if you ask for an extension. That will cost you 1,900 baht & 7 days later you will have to go to Laos anyway.. :(

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”