Meeting at Nong Khai Immigration

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Meeting at Nong Khai Immigration

Post by PopsIcafe » April 5, 2009, 4:10 pm

I have just returned from Nong Khai Immigrations meeting, set up and arranged by the Nong Khai Immigrations. The purpose of the of the meeting was to answer questions pertaining to visas and the out come of visits by foreigners to Nong Khai Immigrations. Nong Khai Immigrations is trying to alleviate the problems on both sides, foreigners and immigrations are having when obtaining extensions, visas, and 90 day reporting. They are really trying hard at this, this is why they had the meeting.

The following were issues that were discussed by all who attended the meeting.

1. Permanent Resident visa (types of and requirements for this PR). There is no PR for retirement. The PR's are for investment, business, and support of spouse. This is what we were told.
2. Conflicting information given by the immigration staff. This is about asking one staff member a question, getting the answer, then returning and asking the same question to another staff member but getting a different answer. The reason is, they don't get most up to date changes, a better way of saying, lack of communication between Bangkok and Nong Khai Immigrations.
3. Possibility of getting an annex of Nong Khai Immigration in Ampoe Muang, Udon Thani. They informed those who where from Udon Thani at the meeting, to put forth a petition signed by the foreigners here in Udon Thani for the return of the annex. Remember this, it won't happen over night. They said either later this year or sometime next year. They are attempting to do this now, but the petition would be a big help for them. They want the annex here to help the foreigners living in and around Udon Thani.
4. Meeting of 15 or more foreigners here in Udon Thani by immigrations for questions, answers and complains. The staff is willing to send 1or 2 representatives from Nong Khai Immigrations to meet with the foreigners, but must be at least 15 people and arranged a head of time with immigrations.
6. Mailing of 90 reporting (TM47). The mailing of 90 day reporting can be done. Mailed in at least 7 days from your reporting date (IMO 10 days would be better, and sent by EMS). In closed with the form TM47 filled out, copier of the passport (first page, visa, extension and reporting date slip). Make sure you sign the copies of passport pages).
7. Posting up to date changes on laws and regulations of visa requirements on the Nong Khai Immigration website. Nong Khai Immigration is working at getting their website up to date with all the changes pertaining the visas. The difficulty is the communications between Bangkok and Nong Khai. Once hey have ironed out this, the website should be pretty much up to date. This also will take a bit of time.
8. Having a special visa (this is what I understood) for people who have been here for 5 or more years. This is where the Permanent Resident came in to the discussion. Once they explained the PR, special visa was dropped and it was explained there the Permanent Resident was not a visa.
9. Tombian (yellow book for foreigners). They said that the tombian (yellow book) doesn't help with the decision of your extensions or visas. It does help though, when purchasing a car or motorbike in your name. It will also help with the decision of you PR if you apply for one.

On the Permanent Residence; it's good for life, you are in your wife's tombian, you can get a work permit, no reporting every 90 days, and you receive an ID card similar the Thais. The application is submitted in December, 100 per nationalities limit, initial 7,600 baht (non-refundable), testing and interview is done in Thai or English (in your best interest reading, writing and speaking will add points to the decision of approval), and upon being accepted for the Permanent Residence, you pay an additional 94,000 baht to 200,000 baht. The cost on acceptance for the Permanent Residence is based on which one you are applying for. THERE IS NO PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR RETIREMENT!!!!.

I have attempted to explain what went on at the meeting. I know many will have their little comments, good or bad. Many will have questions which I may not have answers too, but, will answer the best I can. Then there are those who have nothing better to do then make snide and derogatory statements to the above information or about Nong Khai Immigration (Please Don't, it's not needed nor will it help).

I would like to get a small committee together and draft a petition, no more than 5 persons will do. These people who are serious about getting Nong Khai Immigration back to Udon Thani. Please only those who are serious.

Thank You

Pop's :pirate:

bumper
udonmap.com

Re: Meeting at Nong Khai Immigration

Post by bumper » April 5, 2009, 6:02 pm

I'll pass on the petetion truth is I enjoy going to Nong Khai.

Support of spouse, this was interesting aspect of PR. Did they explain how that works? New one to me i hade given up simply because of the Work Permit requirement might a well lot all these Thai classes go to good use LOL

"8. Having a special visa (this is what I understood) for people who have been here for 5 or more years. This is where the Permanent Resident came in to the discussion. Once they explained the PR, special visa was dropped and it was explained there the Permanent Resident was not a visa."

Did they discuss this in any detail or is it on their wish list? It would really seem to their advantage since after a while they are just gettig repeat paper work year after year, Certianly would be to our advantage not to have to dig it up every year. But that all would depend on what the special visa would do or not do.

House Book it's also helpful in renewing your license.

I would definetly attend a meeting if the above mentioned items were on the agenda. I have no desire to attend a metting for airing complaints. I really don't have any they are doing things the same way they did when I got here. I do in fact get nervous everytime I renew, but so far renewals were with no hitches wahtsoever. More precieved problems then I have ever encountered from them.

One queastions Pops how did you fidn out about the meeting?

Thanks Pops good work

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » April 5, 2009, 6:54 pm

Cliff,

I would certainly like to see the immigration office return to Udon, and would sign the petition, and I would attend any meeting held in Udon, let me know if there is anything I can do ,

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » April 5, 2009, 6:56 pm

A friend of mine works closely with NK Immigration. He was asked to help with an English translation of their rules and regulations, but it was never done as the 4 or 5 senior people there couldn't agree about the use of 'and' or 'or'.

I said 'why don't they state 'and/or' on the translation. But that was too sensible, it seems.

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » April 5, 2009, 7:31 pm

git, immigrations called my wife and asked us to represent American/Thai married couples. All who (French, Italian, German, American, British, Australian, and Switzerland) attended the meeting were with their spouses. I also sent you a PM, will check to make sure it's the right answer before posting it on the forum.

Marmite, the way laws are written, if have a multiple question of "A"-"D", "D" being all the above, then "D" is the answer. Basically from what I have been told it's on a case by case basis. Yes, some of the laws are direct to the point but still the answer would "all of the above".

I am presently working a draft for the petition, once done, I will post it on the forum. Those want to sign can. I for one would love to see the annex here again, but it most likely won't be in AEK Udon hospital.

docta
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by docta » April 5, 2009, 7:55 pm

For 6 years I've always received perfect service, not one time was there a problem.
For the most part when you're dealing with folks that work as hard as they do, it's simple, respect begets respect.
Doc

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » April 5, 2009, 8:11 pm

Doc, you are right....for 4 yrs I have been able to do my extensions without any problems. They have to deal with a lot of people and some seem to come in with a chip on their shoulder. Getting upset and showing it, is not the way to deal with it..

Now immigrations is to trying to make it better, so the problems that both immigrations and foreigners are having are lessened. To ignore it is not the answer, but to come together and solutions/answers. As far as ideas for different visas, all they can do is submit the idea to Minister of the Interior, then it's up to them, not Nong Khai. Not ever thing that is done will be to the satisfaction of foreigners.

BTW the mailing in your 90 day reporting TM47, also include a self-addressed envelope. Sorry about that.

Last edited by PopsIcafe on April 5, 2009, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 5, 2009, 8:17 pm

Well I'm glad you made it Pops. Now I have no objection to an office in Udon. Used to really help me in the past. Went to AEK once or twice anywhere from 60 people up there. So I starting heading to Nong Khai, where everyone was bored to death and had nothing to do so it made it easier for me. I cheat and do my import shopping on those trips, so every 90 days is about right. Pops you may have Pm'd me they don't call me git for nothing.

The story about the word Or, reminds me of the only incident I had with them when I first got here. One Sgt decided that there was no word in Thai for or. So that meant to her 800K in the bank and 65K a month. I quietly worked through it with a respected Thai friend and the commander. Once it was done never has came up agian. I tell what I didn't do, argue with the Sgt yell and tell he she didn't know what she was doing. Thankfully she was transferred eventually I think I embarrassed her really not my intent just wanted to retire and didn't have 800k cash. She did make things interesting for me any chance she got. But, in reality nothing all that bad. So I just told her thanks for her direction and went and did what she said, it was never anything difficult. I think adventually she felt she was even and things went smooth between us all the time. In the end they are just human like the rest of us.

It does say the officer discreation. ](*,)

I wouldn't have that job for anything imagine the number of non Thai speaking nationalities they deal with. NO THANK YOU :yikes:

Great job Pops thanks
Last edited by bumper on April 5, 2009, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » April 5, 2009, 8:20 pm

I'll sign Pops, I enjoy going to Nong Khai but like choices also;o)

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » April 5, 2009, 8:25 pm

In the 2 short years of dealing with NK I've never had a bad experience or any difficulties in processing my visa issues, but I have witness others having a bad time because they didn't have their sh*t together or questioning why this or that is required.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 5, 2009, 8:31 pm

You go in with an attitude and not doing your home work can't expect much but problems. Complete what is asked of you. Be quiet and let them for their work and you won't have problems my rule is simple never ask anything till they stamp the passport. Just befoe it's tiome to renew the annual it time for a 90 day so I ask if anyhting has changed. if it has I adjust while I have the time. I normally do it a few days early so I'm not pressured with time. Make it easy on yourself.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » April 5, 2009, 8:37 pm

I should add Pops that committing to a scheduled meeting is a bit of a stretch for me as I don't like to commit. Maybe I should be committed, more than a few think so;o)

I to have had no problems with with NK Imm. For two years they didn't require me to do 90 day reports (mister smiley up2him) not sure if they just being nice to me or couldn't stand me.

stoneman
udonmap.com

Post by stoneman » April 5, 2009, 9:01 pm

PopsIcafe wrote:Doc, you are right....for 4 yrs I have been able to do my extensions without any problems. They have to deal with a lot of people and some seem to come in with a chip on their shoulder. Getting upset and showing it, is not the way to deal with it..

Now immigrations is to trying to make it better, so the problems that both immigrations and foreigners are having are lessened. To ignore it is not the answer, but to come together and solutions/answers. As far as ideas for different visas, all they can do is submit the idea to Minister of the Interior, then it's up to them, not Nong Khai. Not ever thing that is done will be to the satisfaction of foreigners.

BTW the mailing in your 90 day reporting TM47, also include a self-addressed envelope. Sorry about that.

Pops..

I have always mailed my 90 day reporting to BKK and they have always processed it and sent it back...This last time(2 weeks ago) they took care of it as usual, but included a note that said I had to do all future reporting to Nong Khai...I do not look forward to the drive every 3 months and by mail is great...Can you please post the correct address for the Nong Khai Immigration office...

I will be more than happy to sign the petition and also attend any meetings in Udon Thani that you set up

Thanks

Stoneman

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » April 5, 2009, 9:18 pm

Stoneman, I will glad to get the correct address for you and post ASAP!!!!!! Sorry I should have been thinking better and obtained the correct address when I was at Nong Khai.....but I think I fried what brains I had left. :yikes: Since immigrations isn't opened until Monday, I will call then and post it.

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » April 5, 2009, 10:34 pm

Cliff, you'd better wait until Tuesday... Monday's a holiday.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 5, 2009, 10:47 pm

past info from fellow forumite, used it couple times, and no problems.
90 Day report can be sent to Nong Khai, I've been doing it for years:

Nong Khai Immigration.
106 Chalermprakiat Rd.
T. Meechai
A. Muang
P. NONG KHAI 43000

Send it EMS takes 2 days to get there and receipt is back in a week.

Stamped self addressed envelope
TM47
Photocopy of front page of passport
Photocopy ot TM6 and current visa

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » April 5, 2009, 10:57 pm

Thank you Pakawala, just looked at my calendar, and LA thanks for posting the address......hope you, Ree and Gem are having a wonderful time.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 6, 2009, 2:17 am

Pops AKA Cliff

Well done on this, I would be happy to sign the petition and to attend any meeting to get the numbers up.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 6, 2009, 10:24 am

Heck Cliff,I live in NK and I'll sign it ,if it will help you guys from Udon :lol:

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » April 6, 2009, 10:26 am

Ok, this week is a very busy week for me. So can plan on getting together after I return from Songkhron.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”