Proof of Address

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Tafia
udonmap.com

Proof of Address

Post by Tafia » June 11, 2009, 12:47 pm

1.Do Nong Khai ask for proof of address when applying for extensions?
I have read that some guys are able to produce copies of the house book and the owners ID card, my landlord lives abroad with her foreign husband and I rent thro an estate agent.
2. If proof is needed will the rental agreement suffice?
All my 90 day reports show this addres.
Thanks for any help you can give.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Re: Proof of Address

Post by BKKSTAN » June 11, 2009, 12:57 pm

Proof of address is asked for at the NK immigration,but not at the bangkok immigration.

If I were you,i would inquire directly about what to do in your case.I would send them a letter with a stamped self addresses return envelope if it is inconvenient to stop in! :D

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » June 11, 2009, 5:57 pm

Tafia wrote:1.Do Nong Khai ask for proof of address when applying for extensions?
I have read that some guys are able to produce copies of the house book and the owners ID card, my landlord lives abroad with her foreign husband and I rent thro an estate agent.
2. If proof is needed will the rental agreement suffice?
All my 90 day reports show this addres.
Thanks for any help you can give.
This was my experience. I had the rental agreement when I went to NK. That was not enought. They wanted house paper which I did not have. However they did let my TGF use her house papers to sort of "guarantee" me, even thought I had as my address the rental property. Now we always use her house book for any kind of visa business. My very good friend uses his girl friends house book also. She just has to be there to sign and show her I.D.

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » June 11, 2009, 9:30 pm

Thanks for that; does that not create a problem when your 90day reports have a different address to your visa extension address??

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » June 12, 2009, 9:09 am

Tafia wrote:Thanks for that; does that not create a problem when your 90day reports have a different address to your visa extension address??
I don't think so, but if you are worried about it just use whatever address you wrote down on form TM-7 when you applied for your one year extension. I think they only want to know where you are and for a 90 day reporting do not require a house book to verify your address. Like I said before, using my TGF house book seemed to me to be more of a guarantee than an actual indication of where you really reside. Not sure, but I really doubt that they check the details as long as you jump through the hoops. My experience is limited however in that I've only been here about 7 months, so you might want to hear from some long timers.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » June 12, 2009, 10:32 am

Yes upon renewal proof is required if yuo renting the housebook and the owner of the property will have to be there. He is required to report an Alien living in his residence. There will be a fine to pay not much but coun't on it your going to pay it.

90 day report they ask for nothing.

Girl friend is a altrenative, reme3ber the idea is they can go to that address and find you. Doesn't happen often but it has happened. Usually involving some complaint filed against yuo

Look the simple answer is follow the law and you won't have any problems.

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » June 12, 2009, 1:41 pm

Thanks Guys
Thats what I want to do but my difficulty is my landlord lives abroad with her farang husband and I rent thro her agent (local estate agent)
We used my GF address when I went for my licence papers at Imm at their suggestion, I'm sure there must be a way around this I think its probably best to write to them outlining my situation and see what they advice.

lopburi3
udonmap.com

Post by lopburi3 » June 12, 2009, 2:44 pm

"Yes upon renewal proof is required if yuo renting the housebook and the owner of the property will have to be there."

There is no such law. Property owner reports when you take up residence. And it does not have to be done in person.

"House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national."

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » June 12, 2009, 3:29 pm

So in my situation where the Landlord is not here (lives abroad with farang husband)and I rent thro an estate agent will my contract suffice? The contract is in Thai & English signed by the Agent and myself.
If not what are my options (staying within the law)

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » June 12, 2009, 3:44 pm

If you are living in a hotel,I don't think the Immigration would need the hotel owners book!It seems to me that Immigration will have an answer to your situation.Contact them!

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » June 12, 2009, 4:00 pm

There is the real answer. Your not the first guy to be in this they know what to do just ask. They'll anwer questions yuo only have problems if yuo want to argue with them. Officer Discretion covers D all the above.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » June 12, 2009, 5:21 pm

The official name of the Thai Immigration form is:
"NOTIFICATION FORM FOR HOUSE-MASTER OR THE POSSESSOR OF THE RESIDENCE WHERE ALIEN HAS STAYED".
Go to Immigration, get the form, have whoever you are renting from fill it out and sign it. They will also need to provide copies of their ID cards, plus whatever other documents immigration might require. It is the person you rent from responsibility to do this. Since you rent from an estate agent, you would think they know this already. The fine is 1000 baht for failure to do so.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » June 12, 2009, 5:42 pm

Perfect, I hope he has time to go the mail route since the landlords are in the UK.

If not faxing may do the trick or via the net. You'll find a way to get the haoir off that kitty.

lopburi3
udonmap.com

Post by lopburi3 » June 12, 2009, 5:44 pm

Actually the fine can be 2,000 baht - but I would guess that well less than 50% of landlords ever bother to report.

" Section 77 : Whoever fails to comply with the provision of Section 38, shall be punished with a fine not
exceeding 2,000 Baht. If said person is a hotel manager, he shall be punished with a fine from 2,000 Baht
to 10,000 Baht. "

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » June 12, 2009, 5:47 pm

This could be interesting with the land lord in the UK :-k

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 12, 2009, 6:50 pm

You can of course always notify your friendly local policeman. that is acceptable. :lol:

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » June 12, 2009, 7:43 pm

I have stacks of time, just reading others posts and preparing my homework so I dont get caught out....seems to be paying off I'm learning more and more each day. I dont think they are in the UK I think its Denmark or Belguim. I need to check with the agent and write to Immigration I think find out what my options are.
Thanks to all who came to advice...much appreciated.
Taff

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 12, 2009, 8:04 pm

Taff I agree with those that have advised you to put your cards on the table to the immigration office & ask them for their requirements from you in your situation.
If it was most places in the world then, as far as the law is concerned, the renting agency is actually your landlord. The physical ownership of the property is academic as they have bequeathed their rights to the property to a letting agent. However, TIT, so who knows.
However, with time on your side ask immigration and you have time to comply with their wishes.
To ask a "landlord" (who you do not have a contract with) from a foreign country to attend with you is foolish. Immigration are often pedantic, but I, personally, have never found them foolish...

If you have not been reported as being the (foreign) resident of the property that you are renting then that is undoubtedly the responsibility of the letting agent. They have a duty (to both the owner of the property & the renter) to ensure that the law is being adhered to - that is one of the things they are picking up a fee for!!!!

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » June 16, 2009, 7:42 pm

Thanks Bob and all who responded to my situation.
I have been in touch with the agent who is emailing the owner for copies of the house book and ID card so hopefully that will solve the problem.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » June 16, 2009, 9:11 pm

Tafia wrote:Thanks Bob and all who responded to my situation.
I have been in touch with the agent who is emailing the owner for copies of the house book and ID card so hopefully that will solve the problem.
Don't know if you thought of it, but the copies may also have to be signed by the owner. Every transaction I've completed in Thailand which copies were requested had to include my signature.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”