Tourist Visa - Cost. Free or not?

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
RussellB
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa - Cost. Free or not?

Post by RussellB » August 5, 2009, 1:23 pm

Hi..
Just a quick question. Does anyone know for sure if the Tourist visa from Ventianne are free at the moment?

Thanks

Russell

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Tourist Visa - Cost. Free or not?

Post by BobHelm » August 5, 2009, 1:28 pm

The single entry certainly is.. I was also told that the double entry one was as well, but did not try that... :D

RussellB
udonmap.com

Post by RussellB » August 5, 2009, 1:45 pm

Thanks Bob...I am going tomorrow.. I,ll get 2 then.. or 3 if possible. Cheers. :D

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » August 5, 2009, 1:46 pm

Yes, the single and double entry tourist visas are both currently free, if you can cope with the queues etc. :D

marcusb
udonmap.com

Post by marcusb » August 8, 2009, 7:20 pm

Just to confirm, yes the visa's are still free. I just got back today from a visa run, got a sixty day double entry. The queues are worst on mondays by far. I went on tuesday and only 80 people, the guard said there were about 400 on monday. He said wednesday is about the best.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » August 8, 2009, 8:23 pm

The Thai government have said they (tourist visas) will be free until March 2010. Though, it's not always easy getting a double entry out of the Embassies/Consulates. I guess they see it that they are losing money.

Someone I know went (to Vientiane) last week and got a double entry (tourist visa), said the staff were stressed and irritable!

Thaitanium

Post by Thaitanium » August 9, 2009, 12:08 am

Actually, a double entry is just as easy as a single, but you need to state the fact of what you request on the documents, as it is also stated on on all the postings on all of the bulletins per what are all posted for public view, by the Thai Embassy in easy to read, and perfect English, as well as all other languages.

All, one has to do is simply look at the bulletin boards, set up for all foreigners, to read and decide.

The very simple key, is to read the postings. It's as simple as breathing. Read what is posted at the embassy, and it tells you exactly what to do, and even states, it is free for tourists visas till 2010 March, single or double.

Some days are better than others. Sometimes it is fast, and other days it is slow going.

Do exactly what they are wanting you to do and the rest is all smooth as gravy. All you have to do is just go, locate the boards of posted information, and then read them. Simple.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g-U1zDMkYH8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g-U1zDMkYH8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

The Farmer
udonmap.com

Post by The Farmer » August 9, 2009, 12:38 am

Thaitanium,
this is not a fake,isn't it?
I know a lot of this Phallangs in your video.
No wonder,it is so quiet in Udon. :D
And they will get all their visa in one day?
Wow
see you for a beer in two weeks,like you told me....
Good luck
Nobi

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » August 9, 2009, 3:31 am

Thaitanium wrote:
Some days are better than others. Sometimes it is fast, and other days it is slow going.

Do exactly what they are wanting you to do and the rest is all smooth as gravy. All you have to do is just go, locate the boards of posted information, and then read them. Simple.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g-U1zDMkYH8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g-U1zDMkYH8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
I think I will stick to my yearly visa thanks 8)
Strange only saw one Nigerian waiting as thought many ventured up to Laos for their visas.I see some people get a little red seat while waiting,what is the charge per hour to use them?
And if the queues are horrendous as per the video,when the sun shines,umbrellas for hire also?

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » August 9, 2009, 7:18 am

that's just insane. their also used to be a sleepy little thai consulate in savannkhet, Laos
and the lines weren't anything like that. apparently they began instituting arbitrary requirements
to cut down on the vip tour bus visa runners, and now that there is no fee, just what is the
incentive to process hundreds every day? penang also playing that game i hear. :?

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » August 9, 2009, 12:08 pm

pompui wrote: Strange only saw one Nigerian waiting as thought many ventured up to Laos for their visas.
They do Pompui but at the time the video was taken (around 8.30 am) most african people stick to the agents opposite the embassy as they seem to need help with the paperwork
pompui wrote:I see some people get a little red seat while waiting,what is the charge per hour to use them?
And if the queues are horrendous as per the video,when the sun shines,umbrellas for hire also?
If you or someone else don't want the trouble of waiting all morning in the heat (just a few chairs and certainly no umbrellas) pm me, there is an alternative I got from a very reliable friend of mine =;

It seems that the government succeeds in getting more tourists into Thailand as the number of visa applicants in Lao only has more than doubled and those extra people are supposed to visit Thailand. Looking around in the queue I saw a lot of laotian people (maybe more than usual?) and I think more backpackers from Oz would visit Thailand now that the visa is for free, just guessing... :-k

Joe

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » August 10, 2009, 8:20 pm

Thaitanium wrote:<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g-U1zDMkYH8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g-U1zDMkYH8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
If travelling to Laos for a Thai visa you have to be a very patient queuer. Not only do you have to queue to submit your passport, you also have to queue to collect it the following day. Even before you arrive at the friendship bridge you have to queue for your Laos visa before you enter. Sometimes the queues can look like this:
laos_visa_arrival.jpg
Sometimes it can take up to 2 hours to collect your Laos visa so take a good book with you.
laos_visa_arrival.jpg (77.24 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
If extending my business visa in Laos I always use an agent, they pick up your passport from your hotel and return it to you at the hotel the next day. :D

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » August 11, 2009, 1:50 pm

lee wrote:
If extending my business visa in Laos I always use an agent, they pick up your passport from your hotel and return it to you at the hotel the next day. :D
That's exactly what I meant with "alternative" :D :D

Joe

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 11, 2009, 2:03 pm

SanukJoe wrote:
lee wrote:

Joe
What are the costs involved ? :D

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » August 11, 2009, 2:07 pm

BKKSTAN wrote:
SanukJoe wrote:
lee wrote:

Joe
What are the costs involved ? :D
PM me for more details pls

Joe

dee
udonmap.com

Post by dee » September 28, 2009, 7:00 pm

can anyone tell me if the tourist visa is still free or not??? on the website it says it has finished.04 june 09

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 28, 2009, 7:18 pm

It is still free (friend had one from Vientiane a few days ago). They extended this into the middle of next year (2010)....

dee
udonmap.com

Post by dee » September 28, 2009, 7:24 pm

thanks.website must have put wrong date!!

dee
udonmap.com

Post by dee » September 28, 2009, 7:31 pm

website states.its not free.you have to pay £15 administration charge for single tourist visa.

Billg
udonmap.com

Post by Billg » September 28, 2009, 8:14 pm

So if you want to stay for more than 15 days you have to get a visa?? I usually just walk up to passport control and they stamp me with a 15 day visa. how and where do you get the visa for more than 15 days ??

Bill

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”