Udon Thani Immigration Office

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 16, 2012, 7:24 pm

Correct Single person annual thanks for the answer, I'm really confused on the bank letter. Sometimes they want it sometimes they don't.

With the two different passport numbers. I think I will go ahead and cover that base, the easier you make it on the easier they make it for you.

My rule is I answer only queastions ask nothing until the stamp is in the book.

I use the monthly method that might create the additional need I don't know. In any event once a year, so no big deal.

Hey even have some extra photos from the passport change :lol:

Thanks again.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 16, 2012, 8:18 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:.
Irespective of the voracity or otherwise of the statements appearing here, and irrespective of the rights or wrongs of the situation here in Thailand, we are all guests in a foreign land. Naively perhaps, I believe that, while it is human to moan and complain a 'little' (while making sure this is done in a respectful way, and even with humour) perhaps naively, Ibelieve we have an obligation to ensure we do not go over the top to the extent that our hosts would find our criticisms rude and offensive. I think that stage has now been well reached in some of these posts.
To the extent that any criticisms on this thread have been rude or offensive (which, of course, is entirely in the eye of the beholder) then moderation (not by the Mods) may be called for.

Otherwise, as far as I am aware, there is only one subject in Thailand which may not be criticised.

Beyond that, an important element of any country which expresses a desire to be grown up, and part of the modern world, is that it it is open to, and can accept criticism of, historical societal values which have clearly outlived their usefulness - witness the rise of the Red Shirts.

I certainly didn't come to live here in the expectation that what I observe was beyond criticism, and open to implied censorship by either the locals, or the over-sensitive expat.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 17, 2012, 7:36 am

Here here JS, the simple fact that we discuss what is annoying to us even if it is from our point of view and if read by the officials concerned does have some affect then we have successfully achieved what we wish for.

That being said most Thais I know deplore the system which thay in the main accept as I have found that Thais do not complain normally, however now with ever more Thais going overseas for either education or work then the western ways are beginning to rub off. They are amazed for example that if I go to a public venue in the UK I pay the same price as anyone else. They are even more amazed that even being a Thai they can individually buy and sell a house with little or no restrictions on ownership.

Complaining may be good for the soul, and in many cases it can, if correctly targeted have an affect on the people one complains about . That being said one must also understand the Thai psyche, they seem to worry more about what their fellow co-workers think, rather than do any job correctly , they also have a habit of NOT being able to make any decision if the matter does not follow the strict guidelines their personal power of discretion is non-existent, this system which ties the hand of any good Government worker reveals a huge insecurity in the Governmental system where any criticism is to be either ignored or actually rebuffed by any means possible legal or illegal .

I have come to the conclusion that in the main it is the senior staff who do not want change, as their perceived little empires would fold around them and their back door payments would in some cases cease altogether, despite that all staff now get good remuneration and pensions with access to cheap Government loans , the status quo must be maintained otherwise serious loss if face will occur.

So in the words of one of my local friends things will change ever so slowly and he further states that 2015 will be an interesting year as no longer will Thailand be able to say ' This is Thailand' , we do it our way not yours, that will no longer work on the International scene.

So we will wait with bated breath and and crossed fingers, not to put to fine a point on it and a very large dollop of hope.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 17, 2012, 10:12 am

Just a thought we have a General discusion section/ Off Topic.

Perhaps it would be better to use that. If someone wanted to follow, visa issues, then they would have a heck of a time on this thread.

This is not directed at anyone. :D

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » April 17, 2012, 12:13 pm

Well it IS still Songkran, and I am still sitting around enjoying the privilege of living a wonderfully happy & contented life in this oh. so corrupt Nation.
Also happy that I have discovered this new harmless , non physically demanding pastime, whereby I can have an enjoyable hour or two 'fishing', without having to buy any fishing tackle or go looking for some water!

So here goes:

Yes, Ithink the scope of this original topic has been gradually widened, albeit to very closely related themes. Again, maybe time to close Mr. Moderator??

Meantime:

I have no disagreement with the reasoned, (Thai) culturally inoffensive posts from Jackspratt & Paul. Neither do I have any objection to justified criticism per se, delivered in a manner based upon THAI cultural requirements.

Yes Jack, I agree absolutely that the extent to which comments/criticism may be considered rude or offensive IS in the eye of the beholder. My comments in that regard have been from the point of view of the THAI beholders, (readers), whose considerations would be based upon a THAI cultural viewpoint; an entirely different perspective, I am sure you will agree, on reflection.

With respect Paul, while what you say is interesting, and predominantly true, you have gone off the specifics of this thread; a not unusual occurrence when you launch off into one of your Forum famous soliloquys; but we all forgive you!

Seriously, I am not sure just how water tight is your logic when you write
".....that will no longer work on the international scene" .
Yes, there will be change, but this brings me back to a previous point I endeavouored to make. The change will be at the lower levels of corruption i.e. the 'little' people will miss out on a bite of the cherry. The cherry will remain the same size, but it will be gobbled up by the rich and powerful. By any stretch of my imagination I cannot perceive where such a change would be for the betterment of the 'average' THAI person. But alas, perhaps that is just the point, stupid me.

Not one subscriber to this topic has disputed that corruption exists, and will continue to exist, in ALL nations until the end of time. So I see, logically, I can choose one of ONLY two preferences. I can prefer that my corruption payments, (hidden from my view or in my face), go to the rich and powerful, as we have already all agreed is the existing model among the so called 'civilised' nations, or I have the choice of deciding my preference is that some, at least, of the corruption money goes into the pockets of the not so rich and powerful. Overall, my personal preference is the latter. This doesn't mean I like this situation; only that I am realistic enough to recognise and accept that corruption, in whatever form, is a permanent unchanging aspect of life. So I allocate to that situation, the importance I consider it deserves, within the context of my personal life.
Specifically, within the context of this thread, I calculate I have averaged over the past eighteen years or so approximately Bt.700 per annum in 'tips'. An average of less than Bt.2 per day. I am more than happy to accept that situation. Even think of it as a very cheap form of taxation for the privilege of living here. I unashamedly admit I really am not concerned, nor do I care in the least, whether my shameful attitude seriously adversely affects, as one poster (seriously?????), stated, 'other foreigners' ; or sets back the date upon which Thailand joins the wonderful falang nations models, where only the rich and powerful should benefit from corruption. Most of all. I have no problem in being perceived unprincipled and selfish in that I feel no guilt whatsoever, (as several self righteous posters imply persons having my viewpoint should), over contributing to, and endorsing this country's endemic corruption, by my Bt.2 per day payments. Incidentally, in this latter regard, I do so object to being told, either directly or by implication what I can/cannot or should/should not, do with MY money!

Think I will now pop off and have an orange juice and a nap, and then come back later to see what I have netted. Gee, this is fun, and none of the Moderators have asked me for a Contributors Fee, (euphemism for a tip!!).

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 17, 2012, 7:28 pm

mathusalah80 "I have no problem in being perceived unprincipled and selfish in that I feel no guilt whatsoever, (as several self righteous posters imply persons having my viewpoint should), over contributing to, and endorsing this country's endemic corruption, by my Bt.2 per day payments. Incidentally, in this latter regard, I do so object to being told, either directly or by implication what I can/cannot or should/should not, do with MY money!"

If that's the case, why object to other people who don't see eye to eye with your viewpoint? I don't really care what you do with your money, but I object to your wanting to close a nearly 3 year old thread that provides insight into expats' dealings with Thai immigration authorities. I don't agree with all the comments/views, but I value knowing what's happening inside the immigration offices. The two previous times dealing with the soap/makeup/watch lady in Nongkai (a few years ago), my wife claimed 'sensitive skin', and when offered a watch, told her she'd bought one already at the market along the river. Now when dealing with the Udon office, we go with exact change....thereby avoiding the 200 baht copying penalty when we give 4000 baht (for 2 extensions). In all the cases, this immigration thread or previous immigration threads have provided the antibodies necessary for a pleasant dealing with the officials.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » April 17, 2012, 9:12 pm

parrot wrote: we give 4000 baht (for 2 extensions).
Am I missing something? Could you explain, please.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 17, 2012, 10:50 pm

1900x2=3800. My wife's on a US passport.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 18, 2012, 3:21 am

Assuming your wife is Thai can I ask why she came into Thailand on a US Passport. Thais can have two or more, just ask Thaskin!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » April 18, 2012, 12:39 pm

Parrot wrote..."but I object to your wanting to close a nearly 3 year old thread that provides insight into expats' dealings with Thai immigration authorities.'

You are absolutely right, of course. Upon re-reading, I can see that clearly appears to be my suggestion, although not what I was actually attempting, (unsuccessfully!), to suggest. My apologies.

My concern was focused upon the manner/wording of some of the criticisms, not the criticism per se which, in the main are clearly. I just felt some moderation, and a greater regard for the dictates of Thai Culture, in the manner of some of the criticism, so as not to cause offence to the majority of the population in criticising the few,was called for. It was in this context I was suggesting, somewhat clumsily on reflection, closure.

Once again my humble apologies to all you avid readers of all the latest Immigration Office news and scams, for unintentionally suggesting the arbitrary removal of your daily fix. I know how I would feel about anyone suggesting I be deprived of my daily, excessive, doses of Tea!

"Love not Hate; Peace not War"

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 18, 2012, 1:31 pm

As one person stated my soliloquy can at times be boring however i must point out thatin the main Constructive criticism is good , however as many of us have come to realise , unfortunately this Country and the powers that be, fail to Understand the word ' constructive ' in any form no matter how it is dressed up . They do understand the word 'Criticism ' only too well, much to my chagrin.

Hey ho and yet another year of impossible rulings from officious, arrogant and in some cases blatantly incompetent officers throughout this wonderful country will no doubt cause concern and heartache amongst many foreigners seeking to address the whims of these officers, without falling foul of their petty foibles and ensuring that their Visas and any other matters are granted.

Who says this is not a wonderful country and now they call it Miracle Thailand coupled with Amazing Thailand.....that is true it is a bloody miracle and bloody amazing that this country is still reasonably ok to live in.

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Post by gudtymchuk » April 19, 2012, 10:15 am

The monkey business in the Udon Immigration office continues. I just returned home from doing my one year extension. As luck would have it, I had to deal with the chubby lady. I arrived with double copies of all required documents not needing a additional copies. Lots of chit chat as she was stamping away on all the papers. Even asked me why I was living in Udon as she saw I got my last extension in Sakhon Nakhon. More chit chat and then she handed me the receipt in the amount of 1900 baht but casually mentioned with a smile that I can give more..... I handed her exactly 1900 baht and with a smile told her I do not wish to give more. From that point it was all business. No more chit chat, no more smiles. She was not a happy chappy....
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » April 19, 2012, 10:38 am

gudtymchuk wrote:.... From that point it was all business. No more chit chat, no more smiles. She was not a happy chappy....
Perhaps your next extension you will not be a happy chappy if she helped you again :-k :-k

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Post by gudtymchuk » April 19, 2012, 10:59 am

A year is a long time :-" . Maybe by then she will have scammed enough money from those who think paying bribes is the right thing to do and will have retired to her beach front mansion...... :roll: :roll:

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » April 19, 2012, 11:21 am

gudtymchuk wrote: More chit chat and then she handed me the receipt in the amount of 1900 baht but casually mentioned with a smile that I can give more..... I handed her exactly 1900 baht and with a smile told her I do not wish to give more. From that point it was all business. No more chit chat, no more smiles. She was not a happy chappy....
Its I think ok to pay exactly 1900 baht but did you 'jing jing' made your remark afterwords with a smile??

Crazy off topic comparison:
Would you say with a smile to a cop: why i've to pay 200 for not wearing a helmet and I can continue my trip
with no helmet'.......hehehehe

TIT

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » April 19, 2012, 5:49 pm

I will continue to tip everytime I go into immigration. If that ruins it for a few cheap charlies so be it.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 19, 2012, 6:46 pm

merchant seaman wrote:I will continue to tip everytime I go into immigration. If that ruins it for a few cheap charlies so be it.
That surely demonstrates that you are more gullible than the average UM member. :roll:

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Post by gudtymchuk » April 19, 2012, 7:38 pm

:roll: If not falling pray to a greedy IO makes me a cheap charlie to some than so be it. One thing for certain I know I contribute more to the local Thai economy than the average Thai. We shop almost daily at the local market. Eat out mostly at Thai run eating establishments. Fuel my pickup and motorbike at the local fuel stop. Almost every day I stop and buy fresh cut fruit from the lady with the fruit cart in front of the 7-11. All of these vendors I generously tip for their "services". They are hard working people who live day to day and usually work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day. The fat IO sits in a comfortable chair under a cool aircon, has every weekend and all holidays off and makes a comparatively huge salary. She wants tips let her go to work in Nutty Park.
Thailand, like all other 3rd/developing countries, is in a time warp. Thais welcome the comforts of the West. Looking around you see all every where. The newly refurbished Central Plaza is not your average night market with dozens of brand name clothing stores, Weight reduction salons, Information Technology shops, etc, etc. They love these comforts of the West but when it comes to changing their attitudes toward graft and corruption they have a long way to go. Almost every Thai politician is not reticent to preach about the endemic problems of corruption but we all know they have a long way to go. Changing a culture of corruption is a process and takes a very long time and I believe falling pray to open and blatant graft only slows that process down more. Thats just my opinion and as we know, opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one :razz: :razz: :razz:

red67
udonmap.com

Post by red67 » April 19, 2012, 7:41 pm

merchant seaman wrote:I will continue to tip everytime I go into immigration. If that ruins it for a few cheap charlies so be it.
Well ard =D> =D> =D>grow some balls salty

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » April 20, 2012, 2:52 am

red67 wrote:
Well ard =D> =D> =D>grow some balls salty

i keep the 100 baht and go looking for a massage around town with the dosh :D LOL \:D/

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”