u-Turns on the Friendship Bridge

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Brian Davis
udonmap.com

u-Turns on the Friendship Bridge

Post by Brian Davis » December 17, 2009, 2:08 pm

I've heard this from two sources now.
You 'leave' Thailand with passport stamped, I THINK pay for your Laos visa and noted in passport (maybe not), but u-turn to join the queue for entry back into Thailand WITHOUT crossing the bridge, or getting IN/OUT Laos stamps.
Seems to work from what I've been told.
Problems?
Could you possibly re-enter even without the Laos visa stamp?

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Re: u-Turns on the Friendship Bridge

Post by Prenders88 » December 17, 2009, 2:25 pm

To come back in Thailand you need a Lao visa stamp, and the Lao entry and exit stamp. You have to go over the bridge through Lao immigration go round the other side and exit. The Thai immigration won't let you back into Thailand without the Lao entry and exit stamps.
Went to the Lao duty free area for a Lao Beer run with a Thai mate of mine. Got our shopping and turned round to go home. The Thai border guard said I need a entry and exit stamp. Had to go back to the bridge, buy a Lao visa for 1600 baht get the stamps and return in to Thailand.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » December 17, 2009, 2:25 pm

good question. can one get stamped out, merely walk across the road and get stamped in, without even going over the bridge, and having anything to do with Laos. I tried it years ago and got told, go lao, go lao..hence I walked off over the bridge toward Laos only to be stopped, and surrounded by undercover thai dudes, before I got even near the middle of the bridge. I think thailand doesnt offically end until you are stamped into Laos..but I would give it another go. You have been stamped out, if not left thai terra ferma ( sorry all you spelling buffs)

jorg
udonmap.com

Post by jorg » December 17, 2009, 2:43 pm

Yes, I wondered about that to. Would make it cheaper, easier and faster. Didn't try it, but I watched the Thai immigration officer and noticed that he checked my passport for (I think) the Laos in and out stamp.

red67
udonmap.com

Post by red67 » December 17, 2009, 2:57 pm

Prenders88 wrote:To come back in Thailand you need a Lao visa stamp, and the Lao entry and exit stamp. You have to go over the bridge through Lao immigration go round the other side and exit. The Thai immigration won't let you back into Thailand without the Lao entry and exit stamps.
Went to the Lao duty free area for a Lao Beer run with a Thai mate of mine. Got our shopping and turned round to go home. The Thai border guard said I need a entry and exit stamp. Had to go back to the bridge, buy a Lao visa for 1600 baht get the stamps and return in to Thailand.
i know a guy who done his 90 day turn around yesterday,he got stamped out of thailand got on the bus went over bridge into lao got lao visa,done the u turn but some how walked past the booth were they give you the exit stamp and stamp used on your visa.he then walked the 10 yards got on the bus went over the bridge got off in thailand filled the arrival form in,handed passport over he was then told he didnt have the exit stamp from laos,he was refused entry to thailand and had to go back over to laos for his exit stamp,so it sounds like there on the ball with the exit and entry stamps.

Marlowe
udonmap.com

Post by Marlowe » December 17, 2009, 3:10 pm

yes this is one thing they actually do check...

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 17, 2009, 4:56 pm

I think it is a stupid method to attempt to save 1,500 baht, once every two/three months. Half a bottle of beer less every day is a far safer & surer method if this saving is absolutely necessary.. :D

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » December 17, 2009, 9:22 pm

One may or may not get away with it at the time, but Immigration are likely to spot it at a later date, when scrutinising your passport for some other routine purpose. I believe that is exactly what happened to someone a few years back, as reported on this forum, and he got into very serious trouble over it. :?

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » December 17, 2009, 9:46 pm

The first time i came to Thailand i went to Laos with some Thai friends and unwittingly failed to get the exit stamp in my passport when returning to Thailand. No one noticed it when I left to return to the UK, but the next time I came to Thailand, BIG problems. The airline i used, Etihad, were in trouble for letting me fly and the head of immigration at Don Muang had to sign a full page stamp in my passport before I was allowed back into Thailand. I should have paid a hefty fine, but was let off.
Not worth the hassle if you intentionally try to avoid the correct procedures.

red67
udonmap.com

Post by red67 » December 17, 2009, 11:10 pm

Galee wrote:The first time i came to Thailand i went to Laos with some Thai friends and unwittingly failed to get the exit stamp in my passport when returning to Thailand. No one noticed it when I left to return to the UK, but the next time I came to Thailand, BIG problems. The airline i used, Etihad, were in trouble for letting me fly and the head of immigration at Don Muang had to sign a full page stamp in my passport before I was allowed back into Thailand. I should have paid a hefty fine, but was let off.
Not worth the hassle if you intentionally try to avoid the correct procedures.
yeh i agree Galee i always make sure ive got the right exit entry stamps ive heard about problems like this before ,have a guess who the guy in my earlier post was? i will give you a clue he plays pool with you and he,s as mad as a box of frogs :D :D :D

doo
udonmap.com

Post by doo » December 18, 2009, 10:18 am

Hi,
Used to hate those visa runs. The problem was entry into Lao, could take as little as 20 mins or two and a half hours. Did this for four years, and now got a retirement visa. Should have done this years ago. Now with img. at Udon airport just a trip there every 90days. far easier and less hassle.
Mind you I do miss the Duty Free shops. Used to get a decent couple of bottles of malt there.
Cheers Doug.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » December 18, 2009, 1:32 pm

I wonder what would happen if you had a medical emergency after being given your exit stamp from Thailand,but before you crossed the bridge?Would they force you to continue on to Laos? :?

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » December 18, 2009, 6:00 pm

Thank for feedback, one and all.
I'm sure the two people I spoke to were NOT bothered about avoiding paying the visa fee; they just didn't cross the bridge. One told me the Thai officer queried the lack of in/out stamps from Laos, he replied 'they (Laos officers) forgot' and was admitted anyway.
But from several posts, you'd be very wise to get the visa AND in/out Laos stamps and NOT rely on how a Thai immigration officer may be feeling that day. \:D/ or :evil:

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » December 19, 2009, 6:29 am

So,after you are stamped out of Thailand,you may not enter back into Thailand without first being stamped in and out of a foreign country? :?

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”