Embassy Pension letter

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
trubrit
udonmap.com

Embassy Pension letter

Post by trubrit » April 7, 2010, 10:26 pm

Just back from Bangkok getting a new one from the British Embassy .I am sure the Brits would like to know the charge for getting this in person has today gone up to 2,500bht .As we now need a new one every year that means the letter costs more than the visa . :evil: :roll:

easterneye
udonmap.com

Re: Embassy Pension letter

Post by easterneye » April 8, 2010, 2:57 am

Excuse my ignorance on this subject TB ,, but as I intend to retire in Udon at the age of 62 as you know currently 3 years before UK pension is this something you have to do after 65 every year ? or if as intend to do retire with 800K in the bank constantly to show the authorities on a non O retirement visa ,, how will this affect me pls ??

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » April 8, 2010, 3:50 am

trubrit wrote:Just back from Bangkok getting a new one from the British Embassy .I am sure the Brits would like to know the charge for getting this in person has today gone up to 2,500bht .As we now need a new one every year that means the letter costs more than the visa . :evil: :roll:
I thought the letter was good for 3 years,did that change? :confused:

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 8, 2010, 9:53 am

nkstan wrote: I thought the letter was good for 3 years,did that change? :confused:
Certainly has as far as Udon Immigration is concerned. The consular lady in the British Embassy seems to believe it is being phased in at other offices as well.
Easterneye. If you are going the 800k in bank road, you do not need a letter from the embassy confirming pension. Its a lot of money to tie up though, especially at Thai interest rates .If you are using pension income or a combination of money in bank, plus pension to the tune of 800k total, you will need the embassy verification letter .
I think everyone should be aware the British Embassy is very strict on checking the cash amount. In my case I had rounded the pence figure over 50p up, and below 50p, down . Oh no no no she says, and altered them, saying the supervisor would reject them . :lol:

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 8, 2010, 10:30 am

nkstan wrote: I thought the letter was good for 3 years,did that change? :confused:
For the Nong Khai office the Embassy letter is valid for 3 years but the new Udon office requires a new letter every year ! :-k

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » April 8, 2010, 11:01 am

Zidane wrote:
For the Nong Khai office the Embassy letter is valid for 3 years but the new Udon office requires a new letter every year ! :-k
As did the Bangkok office the last time I used one a few years back!

I'm going to use a letter this year at NK,hope it doesn't change there! [-o<

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 8, 2010, 11:27 am

nkstan wrote:
Zidane wrote:

I would suggest you check in advance Stan as I had a friend do his retirement visa there two weeks ago, using a letter for the second time . They gave him his renewal , but kept the original embassy letter, telling him to get new one for next time .They also told him . It can be dated , up to 3 months in advance of using it . :roll:

easterneye
udonmap.com

Post by easterneye » April 8, 2010, 11:51 am

Thanks for the reply info TB ,,,,,, as far as Thai interest rates are concerned I thought they were non existant for aliens ? at least thats what it says in my Krung Thai passbook ,, mind you interest rates in the UK are about 00.01% now anyway ,, next to useless ,, think I would rather show some goodwill to my new host Country.
Also as I only have a small company pension I doubt that added to my state pension would make enough for the monthly figure .
Thanks for any help

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » April 8, 2010, 6:06 pm

trubrit wrote:
nkstan wrote:
Zidane wrote:

I would suggest you check in advance Stan as I had a friend do his retirement visa there two weeks ago, using a letter for the second time . They gave him his renewal , but kept the original embassy letter, telling him to get new one for next time .They also told him . It can be dated , up to 3 months in advance of using it . :roll:
Thanks for the heads up,TB!If that is the way it is,I will just have to be mildly inconvenienced to get another one,visit friends in Bangkok, get one from another Embassy outreach program or use the bankbook and bank letter!

Not like I am so pressed for time that it would be a major hassle :lol: :lol:

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » April 8, 2010, 10:20 pm

Looks like it might be cheaper and less financial hassle to just go the 400K baht in the bank route with a marriage visa.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » April 9, 2010, 11:27 am

Val, I get a statuary declaration sworn by me and witnessed by the Australian Embassy Consular staff. In this I declare that my monthly income is an amount greater than 65k Baht. The Immigration offices in BKk, NK and now Udon are quite happy with this. Maybe a cheaper way as they are only witnessing your signature and stamping the stat dec.

John

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 9, 2010, 4:36 pm

The British Embassy agree with Texpat view of its customers I am afraid John. :D :D
None of this 'your word is your bond' rubbish for them I am sorry to say. Everything must be independently verified by documentation hopefully signed in your own blood & costing as much as possible when compared to any other Embassy.
It is always reassuring to know that they are there to lend a citizen in need some assistance though.. :shock: :shock:

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 9, 2010, 6:51 pm

Just had chance to read the blurb the embassy gave me. It actually say's the charge is 2,408 bht Per Page for a letter. They won't even do it the same day, you have to come back next morning. i chose to pay an extra 100bht for it to be posted to me rather than stay another night in Bangkok .Thanks for the advise John. They had that loophole covered though . Its called "Witnessing an affidavit" Guess what? 2408bht fee. :roll:

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » April 9, 2010, 8:08 pm

Hi.
Went to B.E. last Oct. They wanted to see at least 3 months of my pension payments to home bank, showed them my yearly tax report which they accepted. This O.K. Pensions then came to over 800,000B per year. They state your pensions in GBP per annum. Was told by them ex. rates change every day but your pension in GBP don't. Funny thing is when I went to get visa Imm. asked me what was the exchange rate. Watch Lady, TIT. B.E open from 1000Hrs to 1200Hrs and 1400Hrs to 1600Hrs. It does as stated before take 2 days and it cost me 1900B. then. It was one page and you have to sign it at the B.E. and then pick it up next day after BE sign and stamp and endorse it. Never heard of a embassy just excepting your sig. without checking what they were signing and endorsing.
If they now require this letter every year I will get a marriage visa next time. Talked out off it last time, easier for Imm., this time I will insist on a marriage visa as I meet all their requirements without my pension. So no need for B.E. letter.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 9, 2010, 8:32 pm

douglas wrote: Never heard of a embassy just excepting your sig. without checking what they were signing and endorsing.
I have always known that the American Embassy accepted a citizen just to swear an affidavit that what they were signing was correct. I didn't know that the Australian Embassy did as well, until John said so in this thread.
This is, in my mind, rather a grown up & correct way of an Embassy to treat its' citizens.
A clerk in Bangkok has no need to know my financial circumstances - any more than I need to know his.
Just one of the reasons why I will not be pursuing this route - but thank you for the updated information TB..

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » April 10, 2010, 7:48 am

There are stiff penalties imposed by the Australian Government for declaring false information on a Stat Dec.

I think the charge is 800 baht to have it witnessed at the Embassy.

I know I will have to go to the Australian Embassy again in Feb 2011 so I will book an Air Asia ticket for 400 baht when the sale comes around again.

John

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » April 10, 2010, 12:05 pm

Hi Bob.
"a clerk in Bangkok" did not sign the letter I got from B.E. in BKK. It was signed by Caroline Vaudrey the British Vice Consul. And they needed PROOF of my income, Pensions. And the Embassy Embossed stamp was on the letter. I give a copy of the letter to Immigration and they would not accept it as the Embassy stamp does not photocopy. Had to provide org.. Which they photocopied and give me back org..
The letter from the Embassy must have your income on it as this is what is required, by Img.. And I find it hard that a embassy will sign a letter and endorse it without checking what is in the letter is correct, and if they don't, it is certainly not a grown up way.
My friend who is German went to his Embassy to get Proof of earnings, as required by Thai Im. Had to show proof of earnings. His Em. just stated he was earning over 800,000B per annum. Which was the only difference to B.E.
Thai Imm. require proof of earnings, if you do not have a LOS bank account with the required amount in it. This proof has to be provided by your embassy. Thai. Img. Laws.
As for a clerk in BKK knowing. Who do you think deals with this in Img. or are you one that does not have to provide proof of earnings.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 10, 2010, 12:23 pm

douglas if you think that the documentation was checked by the British Vice Consul personally then you know little about bureaucracy. The American & Australian Embassies require their citizens to legally swear that the information supplied to the Embassy is correct - no "proof" only their "word". Thai Immigration only require a letter from the Embassy that says your pensions/foreign income is greater than (at the moment) 65,000 a month - they do not require a detailed listing of this, nor do they request independent proof.
If you think it is a more adult way to go about things for our Embassy to demand independent written proof than to accept the sworn word of its' citizens, fine. I certainly do not see it that way.
I am not on a retirement, or marriage, visa & have no intention of ever being so, so it is academic to me; however it is just another example of how the British Embassy treats its citizens shabbily compared to other countries.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 10, 2010, 1:29 pm

An attempt to clear up the rank of the person signing an embassy letter .Over the years any correspondence I have received from them has been signed under the title of vice consul , pro consul or simply consular official .These have been on a multitude of subjects , not just the income letter .So it would appear the grandiose title might be just a way of justifying the inflated salaries they receive . :lol:

wokkawombat
udonmap.com

Post by wokkawombat » April 10, 2010, 2:31 pm

Well Douglas it would seem that I owe Thai Immigration five one year extensions. My sworn statement witnessed by the Australian Embassy has been accepted by Nong Khai (3 times), BKK (once) and Udon (once).

Maybe it it is time for the Australian Embassy to lower the service offered to its citizens to match GB and Germany?

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”